PDA

View Full Version : Irish abroad transfer rumours

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

elroy
29/05/2008, 2:46 PM
Just rumours I know but interesting nonetheless, would be a great move for Quinn and Hoolahan:

Middlesbrough are set to bid £2m for Sheffield United midfielder Stephen Quinn. (The Sun)

Charlton and Crystal Palace will battle it out to sign Blackpool winger Wes Hoolahan, who is available for a cut-price £250,000. (Daily Star)

Sunderland manager Roy Keane wants to sign Newcastle's Damien Duff, Reading's Stephen Hunt and Aiden McGeady of Celtic. (Daily Mail)

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood wants to strike a permanent deal for defender Alan Maybury after the 29-year-old spent the second half of last season on-loan at Pittodrie from Leicester City. (Various)

paul_oshea
29/05/2008, 2:47 PM
Sunderland manager Roy Keane wants to sign Newcastle's Damien Duff, Reading's Stephen Hunt and Aiden McGeady of Celtic. (Daily Mail)

I think keane will be linked with every irish player that wants to leave, however reid, duff and mcgeady in one team would be class for Ireland, assuming keane gets the best out of them...

livehead1
29/05/2008, 2:49 PM
I think keane will be linked with every irish player that wants to leave, however reid, duff and mcgeady in one team would be class for Ireland, assuming keane gets the best out of them...

Yeh, they could all play on the left wing:rolleyes:

paul_oshea
29/05/2008, 2:55 PM

ya like they both play for ireland at the same time............:rolleyes:

They could interchange like robben and duff did at chelsea.

Irish_Praha
29/05/2008, 2:55 PM

They have half the Irish B team now they want our 1st team too:rolleyes: I reckon they will sign one of Duff, Dunne, Doyle or McGeady in an attempt to lure more Irish supporters.

joema
29/05/2008, 3:28 PM

Well Andy Reid's best position is centre mid anyway

jmurphyc
29/05/2008, 3:43 PM
I heard that's why Kerr left Pats. Him and Staunton are going to be assistants to Keane there and Brady is going to be is going to be in charge of Youth Development.

Morbo
29/05/2008, 3:47 PM

But would he get the best out of them? Most of the Irish players stock has gone down at Sunderland, McShane, Stokes, Harte have all gotten worse, only Murphy is doing relatively well(too early to judge if it was a good move for Reid) so I personally hope none of our first team sign for Sunderland

paul_oshea
29/05/2008, 3:47 PM
I heard that's why Kerr left Pats. Him and Staunton are going to be assistants to Keane there and Brady is going to be is going to be in charge of Youth Development.

I assume you are being smart given the thread title.

joema
29/05/2008, 4:37 PM
But would he get the best out of them? Most of the Irish players stock has gone down at Sunderland, McShane, Stokes, Harte have all gotten worse, only Murphy is doing relatively well(too early to judge if it was a good move for Reid) so I personally hope none of our first team sign for Sunderland

Reid has been excellent for Sunderland, certainly wouldn't say he's not had enough time there to be judged.

Seagull-4-life
29/05/2008, 5:40 PM
Reid has been excellent for Sunderland, certainly wouldn't say he's not had enough time there to be judged.

He has indeed and he's a top player

The Legend
29/05/2008, 7:18 PM
so I personally hope none of our first team sign for Sunderland

I personally think it would be an absolute joke if half the irish team (especially if it turned out to be the top half) were playing for Sunderland. If they got relegated, we'd be f**ked!

Its fine to have a few there, but if the current bunch were joined by Dunne, McGeady and Duff, i'd be sick.

Irish_Praha
29/05/2008, 9:37 PM
Has there been any speculation about Doyle? Has he said he wants to stay at Reading or has any team been interested?
I think Villa were mentioned in the last transfer window.

bholg
29/05/2008, 9:57 PM
I personally think it would be an absolute joke if half the irish team (especially if it turned out to be the top half) were playing for Sunderland. If they got relegated, we'd be f**ked!

Its fine to have a few there, but if the current bunch were joined by Dunne, McGeady and Duff, i'd be sick.

This is all totally hypothetical and 99.9% chance of being B.S. (the rumors, not your post!) but if it were to happen do you not think it would be class to have nearly half of our 1st team training & playing together every week? especially a good chunk of the midfield possibilities?????

Irish_Praha
29/05/2008, 10:12 PM
This is all totally hypothetical and 99.9% chance of being B.S. (the rumors, not your post!) but if it were to happen do you not think it would be class to have nearly half of our 1st team training & playing together every week? especially a good chunk of the midfield possibilities?????

Yes, if they were successful, but if they were in a relegation battle all season then it wouldn't be so class.

The Legend
29/05/2008, 10:13 PM

i do agree that would be benefical for them to train together, but its a case of all eggs in one basket for me....

I just think its embarrassing for us to have most of our national team at one English club. If i am alone with that thought, so be it.

Yeah, and surely most of its all rumour, surely Keane isnt going to go out and buy every available irish player, is he?

eekers
29/05/2008, 10:19 PM
Dunne is having his medical at spurs tomorrow before he heads off on his holidays (apparently)

irishfan86
29/05/2008, 10:20 PM
i do agree that would be benefical for them to train together, but its a case of all eggs in one basket for me....

I just think its embarrassing for us to have most of our national team at one English club. If i am alone with that thought, so be it.

Yeah, and surely most of its all rumour, surely Keane isnt going to go out and buy every available irish player, is he?

Considering half the French team was at Arsenal at one stage, I think we can deal with a concentration of players at Sunderland.

If they got the players mentioned though, there's no way in hell they'd be involved in a relegation struggle.

The Legend
29/05/2008, 10:22 PM
There's a seriously big difference between Arsenal and Sunderland.

irishfan86
29/05/2008, 10:24 PM
There's a seriously big difference between Arsenal and Sunderland.

Oh, no question.

My point was just the sentiment.

If it's good enough for the French, it's good enough for us. At least they have national team players from their domestic league.

If we have all our national team players playing in Britain, what does it matter if half of them are at one club?

Irish_Praha
29/05/2008, 10:26 PM
Considering half the French team was at Arsenal at one stage, I think we can deal with a concentration of players at Sunderland.

If they got the players mentioned though, there's no way in hell they'd be involved in a relegation struggle.

I'm sure the moody cnut that Keane can be sometimes that a few of them would be shipped out in the January window anyway :p

Tenderloins
29/05/2008, 11:28 PM
Rumours that Sunderland are signing Stephen Ireland abound on Sunderland sites. A good move?

cheifo
29/05/2008, 11:35 PM
Saw that.£8 Million seems a lot.Seemed very much at home at Citeh but maybe the Cobh connection has made it happe.Alternativley City were bowled over by fee offered.

irishultra
29/05/2008, 11:42 PM
They pay too much in my opinion. 5-6.5 million would be more suitable. Maby if Keane can buy some proper good players like Forlan or someone, Ireland could really develop. I want him to succeed at a personal level even if he doesn't come back to Ireland.

Qwerty
30/05/2008, 3:19 AM
That would be a bad move for both player and club, I would think he would be the last player than Keane would sign but Roy hasn't really done well in the transfer market.

Wolfie
30/05/2008, 8:05 AM
Reid and Ireland. Is there room for both? Will be interesting to find out from an International perspective.

Duggie
30/05/2008, 8:12 AM
8 mill would be a steal for ireland. thats nothing in todays market.

amaccann
30/05/2008, 8:13 AM
The atmosphere of honest grafters Keane is trying to build seems contrary to the type of player / individual S. Ireland is.

Morbo
30/05/2008, 8:27 AM
Never said he hadn't been excellent, my point was that I already knew he was very good and I knew he was easily good enough for the premiership but he was just as good before he joined Sunderland IMO so its a bit early to be saying whether he was improved as a player or not

irishfan86
30/05/2008, 8:28 AM
The atmosphere of honest grafters Keane is trying to build seems contrary to the type of player / individual S. Ireland is.

I wouldn't classify Reid, Chopra, Richardson, or Stokes in the honest grafter category...

After playing at United for so long, he will understand that every team needs a few talented players in the attacking third to be successful, even if they are luxury players as Stephen Ireland can be at times.

If Sunderland retains their 4-4-1-1 formation next season, Ireland could excel in that position between Jones and the midfield.

Reid would have no problem playing central mid proper, as long as he is given the support of a tackling partner in the middle such as Whitehead.

pateen
30/05/2008, 8:34 AM
I wouldn't classify Reid, Chopra, Richardson, or Stokes in the honest grafter category...

Honest, you really think so?

an_ceannaire
30/05/2008, 9:17 AM
just a thought, not so much a rumour.
Having seen RH at the game last night, and in light of McBride leaving Fulham.....Doyle could be an ideal replacement for him. Like with like, same qualities, same level. Lead the line, good with the head, hold it up etc. Would be interesting to see Doyle and Healy together!!!
Anyone have any opinions on this possibility.

Irish_Praha
30/05/2008, 9:19 AM
I don't think Duff will be heading to Sunderland. It's looking more like Hunt and there are quotes of around 5 milllion, a bit much I would say, but it won't be discussed until after his wedding.
If both Duff and Hunt went there then Sunderland would have 5 of Ireland's left-footed players - Harte, Duff, Hunt, Reid and Murphy.

Irish_Praha
30/05/2008, 9:26 AM
just a thought, not so much a rumour.
Having seen RH at the game last night, and in light of McBride leaving Fulham.....Doyle could be an ideal replacement for him. Like with like, same qualities, same level. Lead the line, good with the head, hold it up etc. Would be interesting to see Doyle and Healy together!!!
Anyone have any opinions on this possibility.

That's an interesting one. If no other Premiership club was interested it could be a decent option. He's already proven himself in the Championship and deserves to play in the Permiership. I would be worried that he'd be stuck in a relegation battle again though and that might not do much for his confidence. As I said it would beat playing in the championship with Reading but he should see if a better team, like Villa, are interested first. If Fulham get relegated he'd be in the exact same position as now in a year and it would have been a waste of time.

irishultra
30/05/2008, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't call Andy Reid or Stephen Ireland for that matter lazy players.

elroy
30/05/2008, 11:26 AM
Dunne to Spurs looks for real, on the BBC website today.

Metrostars
30/05/2008, 12:22 PM
Dunne to Spurs looks for real, on the BBC website today.

For 5 million. Thats peanuts for one of the best centre backs in the league in the prime of his career. If he were english, that figure is at least double.

Morbo
30/05/2008, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't call Andy Reid or Stephen Ireland for that matter lazy players.
You wouldn't call Ireland lazy? C'mon he goes missing for 89 minutes and never even tries to win 70/30 balls, hate to see what you do call lazy

jmurphyc
30/05/2008, 12:41 PM
For 5 million. Thats peanuts for one of the best centre backs in the league in the prime of his career. If he were english, that figure is at least double.

He's only got a year left on his contract apparently. I still think it's quite low though.

eirebhoy
30/05/2008, 2:33 PM
I think I'm right in thinking that Dunne can be bought out of his contract now? He only needs to have served 2 years of it (because he's over 28) which he obviously has done.

Dr. Ogba
30/05/2008, 3:53 PM
. If Fulham get relegated he'd be in the exact same position as now in a year and it would have been a waste of time.

I don't see Fulham being near the bottom 3 next year to be honest. Hodgson will have a full season with them now and won't be spending most of his time undoing Sanchez's dirty work. Think Doyle would be a good signing for them and would be excellent at leading the line...

Noelys Guitar
30/05/2008, 10:21 PM
McShane and Hunt to Everton. McShane is wanted as cover for Lescott and Hunt is stalling on joining Sunderland in the hope Everton will renew the interest they showed in the January window.

tetsujin1979
31/05/2008, 12:45 AM
I think I'm right in thinking that Dunne can be bought out of his contract now? He only needs to have served 2 years of it (because he's over 28) which he obviously has done.

He can buy out the rest of his contract himself, making him a free agent, so he can negotiate with whatever club, and land himself a nice big signing on fee.

Razors left peg
31/05/2008, 12:22 PM
On the BBC gossip collum it says that Celtic are considering move for Steven Ireland

Paddy Garcia
31/05/2008, 12:30 PM
I don't think Duff will be heading to Sunderland. It's looking more like Hunt and there are quotes of around 5 milllion, a bit much I would say, but it won't be discussed until after his wedding.

If they look up what Keane has paid for very average players they may well chance their arm for 5m for Hunt.

shakermaker1982
31/05/2008, 2:00 PM
Hunt is worth £3-4m IMO, I'd put Ireland in the same bracket. Anything more and it looks a risky investment.

Qwerty
31/05/2008, 5:20 PM
1.5M max for Hunt, he is just an aggressive mongrel. There are probably dozens of players in the lower leagues as good as him for half the price. Remember Convey kept him out of the Reading team for most of last season, only injury let him in the door but he did take his chance when it came.

tetsujin1979
31/05/2008, 6:08 PM
1.5M max for Hunt, he is just an aggressive mongrel. There are probably dozens of players in the lower leagues as good as him for half the price. Remember Convey kept him out of the Reading team for most of last season, only injury let him in the door but he did take his chance when it came.
Sunderland were supposed to have offered 5m in January, but after Reading's relegation I'd say it'll be closer to 3m

the doc
31/05/2008, 6:25 PM
McShane is wanted as cover for Lescott :D

I doubt that very much, if anything St Ledger could be moving to Everton as they have asked to be kept informed of any bids for Preston's player of the year.
Wolves are said to be lining up a bid too!

Noelys Guitar
01/06/2008, 10:33 AM
Kieran Westwood to Newcastle and Sean Scanell to Villa.