PDA

View Full Version : Cillian Sheridan (F Inverness Caledonian Thistle b.1989)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

BobbySands
23/04/2006, 11:26 PM
Anyone who's been following Ireland underage teams will be familiar with Cillian Sheridan. As far as I know he's from Bailieborough, Co. Cavan and I was wondering if anyone knows if he's related to Tony Sheridan (ex Shelbourne and Leeds) whose family is also from Bailieborough. It's a small town so it would seem a bit of a coincidence that they'd share the same name and come from the same place considering it's hardly a hotbed of soccer.

Irish_Praha
23/04/2006, 11:41 PM
Well if he is related to him I hope he inherits the skill genes but avoids the lazy genes.

dr_peepee
24/04/2006, 5:42 PM
Doubt if they're related. Tony Sheridan's from Crumlin (Or there abouts)

BobbySands
25/04/2006, 12:42 AM
Tony Sheridans uncles are all from Bailieboro although I know he was raised in Dublin.

NeilMcD
25/04/2006, 8:40 AM
I saw him play against Serbia and Montenegro and i was not impressed with him much compared with Terry Dixon he looked rather slow and lacking in skill or goal instinct.

tetsujin1979
25/04/2006, 9:54 AM
Sheridan made the opening goal against Romania when he came on, it also allowed McDermott to move into the centr of the park where he was much more effective. I think the team as a whole were poor against Serbia and Montenegro after 2 games in the previous 4 days.

SaucyJack
25/04/2006, 12:10 PM
I saw him play against Serbia and Montenegro and i was not impressed with him much compared with Terry Dixon he looked rather slow and lacking in skill or goal instinct.

and oddly enough, I think Terry Dixon's ma is from Bailieboro.

eirebhoy
19/07/2008, 12:09 PM
Anyone see how Sheridan did last night? He came on at half time but I had to go out. McGeady was superb in the first half. and set up all the chances. Sheridan will no doubt get a big chance under Strachan. He loves him.

irishultra
19/07/2008, 1:59 PM
He did this class chest knock down to Samaras...then did nothing of any note for the rest of the game.

He seems to be a bit of a target man.

Stuttgart88
19/07/2008, 8:38 PM
I saw him play against Serbia and Montenegro and i was not impressed with him much compared with Terry Dixon he looked rather slow and lacking in skill or goal instinct.Only saw him once, as a second half sub against Germany's U19s at Dalyer. We lost 1-0, a little unluckily. Through no fault of his own he reduced our performance because we simply lumped long passes up to him whereas in the first half we actually played proper football. Funny thing is, the one thing that occurred to me was that surprisingly for a big skinny lank, he had quite a turn of pace!

Paddy Garcia
20/07/2008, 1:58 PM
Anyone see how Sheridan did last night? He came on at half time but I had to go out. McGeady was superb in the first half. and set up all the chances. Sheridan will no doubt get a big chance under Strachan. He loves him.

I was at the game & he hardly got a touch, made no impression whatsoever. Having said that he got poor supply. Celtic midfield was very weak.

Strachan should have a few concerns after that display, it was very easy for Fulham, who should have had more, & seemed to push the celtic players off the ball with ease.

I thought McGeady fell short by his own standards, however he was certainly the best Celtic had to offer - also easily knocked off the ball.

Another bright spark was O'Dea, who played well, broke with great intent and physically seemed up to the challenge of Fulham - unlike his team mates.

Lots of work for Strachan to do anyway. The best player on the pitch was Bullard - by a mile.

Junior
20/07/2008, 8:45 PM
I was at the game & he hardly got a touch, made no impression whatsoever. Having said that he got poor supply. Celtic midfield was very weak.

Strachan should have a few concerns after that display, it was very easy for Fulham, who should have had more, & seemed to push the celtic players off the ball with ease.

I thought McGeady fell short by his own standards, however he was certainly the best Celtic had to offer - also easily knocked off the ball.

Another bright spark was O'Dea, who played well, broke with great intent and physically seemed up to the challenge of Fulham - unlike his team mates.

Lots of work for Strachan to do anyway. The best player on the pitch was Bullard - by a mile.

Agreed Sheridan did nothing, I beleive he was equally ineffective on Friday against Southampton though I didnt see it.

It was the 2nd pre-season friendly - I dont think Strachan should be overly worried yet - though I can guarantee if you go on to the Celtic forums there will be an abundance of comments like yours and much stronger. IMO nothing to worry about it was just about fitness levels. Pity Sheridan didnt do more though as he needs to take these opportunities. At least Samaras is useless (im not atall happy with that signing) and should not be a reason for not achieving a place on the bench/first 11 over the next few seasons.

eirebhoy
21/07/2008, 11:45 AM

I was talking about the Southampton game in case you thought I was talking about Fulham. I didn't see the Fulham match but I wouldn't read anything into it. They finished the Southampton game at half 9 at night and then had to play in London at 3 the next day.

Paddy Garcia
21/07/2008, 8:49 PM
That explains quite a bit

minty
22/07/2008, 11:21 AM
i've seen a good bit of sheridan and think he'll be a first teamer this season...not a regular but he will def see a good bit of action

cavan_fan
21/10/2008, 8:31 PM
Looking OK against Man U tonight, (not that I'm biased)

eirebhoy
21/10/2008, 8:40 PM
He looks like he'll score a few. Gets into excellent positions.

Hibernian
21/10/2008, 9:14 PM
He looks like he'll score a few. Gets into excellent positions.

looks like this guy will progress did more when he came on then some of the celtic boys combined

carloz
22/10/2008, 10:21 AM
looks like this guy will progress did more when he came on then some of the celtic boys combined

Trus. Looked like he was actually up for it a bi. Maybe some decent runs and is a physical player.

Stuttgart88
22/10/2008, 2:39 PM
He held the ball up and protected it really well under pressure at one point when it looked far more likely he'd be dispossessed.

eirebhoy
22/10/2008, 5:04 PM
Sheridan will most likely start against Hibs on Saturday. You never know he might play himself into the team against Man Utd in a couple of weeks.

tetsujin1979
25/10/2008, 11:42 AM
Interview with Sheridan in Glasgow Evening Times: http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2463013.0.0.php

SkStu
25/10/2008, 2:45 PM
Sheridan will most likely start against Hibs on Saturday. You never know he might play himself into the team against Man Utd in a couple of weeks.

bingo - just grabbed the second against hibs.

Closed Account
25/10/2008, 2:51 PM
Scored today.

Interestingly O'Dea still on bench despite an opening at left back, thought he'd be a better choice than Robson.

McGeady on the bench along with him and Paddy McCourt(N.Irish I know).

gspain
26/10/2008, 7:35 AM
Scored today.

Interestingly O'Dea still on bench despite an opening at left back, thought he'd be a better choice than Robson.

McGeady on the bench along with him and Paddy McCourt(N.Irish I know).

Great to see Sheridan get a start and score. Hopefully he'll play regularly now.

McGeady was probably rested.

I'm concerned re O'Dea. he clearly needs a move as if Strachan doesn't rate him above any of their current defenders then he is finished. any time I've seen Celtic on tv their defence is a joke. Caldwell, Naylor and Robson lok useless.

eirebhoy
26/10/2008, 9:19 AM
O'Dea will get a loan soon I think. Next couple of weeks probably.

gspain
26/10/2008, 7:26 PM
O'Dea will get a loan soon I think. Next couple of weeks probably.

Good. I hope you are right. We really could do with him coming through.

Junior
02/11/2008, 12:22 PM
Sheridan gets a starting spot against Hearts today at Tynecastle.

Important game for Celtic which will be tough, lets see what hes made off.

McGeady is dropped/rested.

Thought O'Dea would get a chance at Centre Half with McManus and Loovens injured, however, McManus has recovered and makes the starting 11.

eirebhoy
02/11/2008, 3:05 PM
Poor game for Sheridan today. The Hearts defence got the better of him and he was easily shouldered away from the ball a few times. His best moments were linking up with his back to goal.

Junior
02/11/2008, 3:10 PM
I thought he ran the channels reasonably well. The service in to him wasnt great tbh but he kept going for 90 mins which was good.

As you say the Hearts defence had the better of him. He needs to bulk up a bit and be stronger (it will come over the next few years I guess). Its another 90 minutes under his belt in the first team, which has to be good for him.

Poor Student
02/11/2008, 3:48 PM
Thought he looked well out of his depth. He put in a good effort and tried to run the channels as well as he could but the defender better him on almost all occasions. Junior, I think he made the service look bad. He doesn't seem to know how to peel off his marker. It's a big step up from reserve football and he may still develop his game. He seems like he has a good attitude and works hard but I can't see him being a regular for Celtic.

Junior
02/11/2008, 3:54 PM
Junior, I think he made the service look bad. He doesn't seem to know how to peel off his marker. It's a big step up from reserve football and he may still develop his game. He seems like he has a good attitude and works hard but I can't see him being a regular for Celtic.

Perhaps, you're right, he was always just a yard or two from making that pass in to the channel. Could be partly due to pace and awareness but it came off on occasion so Im happy to see him continue his learning curve at Celtic.

Its been a great opportunity for him with JVOH, Samaras and Killen all injured, of course I agree he wont be a regular for celtic anytime soon.

Poor Student
02/11/2008, 4:07 PM
As a Celtic fan, I'm happy he can come in and put in a shift in such a crisis but as an Ireland fan I don't see a capacity to develop into a top striker in the long term. He's better than Killen though.;)

Irish_Praha
03/11/2008, 7:48 PM
As a Celtic fan, I'm happy he can come in and put in a shift in such a crisis but as an Ireland fan I don't see a capacity to develop into a top striker in the long term. He's better than Killen though.;)

The guy is only 19, maybe you'll be proven right but don't write him off just yet.

irishfan86
03/11/2008, 7:57 PM
The fact that he is pacy and tall mean that he'll get plenty of chances- if not at Celtic, elsewhere.

Those two attributes are extremely hard to find in an individual player, and will make him sought after.

From my limited time watching him, I don't think he's ready for international football just yet, but I can see that he has the quality to go on and be a success at a very high level.

It's really too bad Celtic have so many similar strikers ahead of him.

eirebhoy
03/11/2008, 9:22 PM
He also has a good touch and an excellent football brain by all accounts. Just needs to beef up an awful lot. If he had the strength it'd make so much of a difference. He was getting pushed off 50/50 balls against Hearts.

Poor Student
03/11/2008, 9:37 PM
The guy is only 19, maybe you'll be proven right but don't write him off just yet.

Just my opinion, Irish Praha. I'd be happy to be wrong. Watching UCD every week you get used to making snap judgements on youngsters.

macdermesser
06/11/2008, 7:18 AM
missed the game last night ... how did he play? See he was subbed on 63 minutes.

OwlsFan
06/11/2008, 9:00 AM
Tried hard but other than one chance, he was fairly anonymous.

geysir
06/11/2008, 1:11 PM
I don't think he even got his head to one of those punts upfield.
He was ineffective on the night, out of his depth, needs a good bit more experience before being plunged in at that level to play that type of game.

Stuttgart88
06/11/2008, 1:20 PM
ah yeah, but if he was fed by Delap's throws...:)

He got his head to one, a nice cushioned header to McDonald but it was an exception alright.

geysir
06/11/2008, 1:30 PM
Delap Sheridan?
Needs an Aldo as coach to finish that brushstroke :)

tetsujin1979
06/11/2008, 2:45 PM
He was ineffective on the night, out of his depth, needs a good bit more experience before being plunged in at that level to play that type of game.
Celtic are going through a bit of an injury crisis at the moment with their strikers, it was a case of nobody else could play, than he was good enough to start ahead of Hesselink or Samaras.
Still, it was no doubt a good experience for him, and hopefully the first of many appearances in Europe at Celtic Park for the lad

geysir
06/11/2008, 2:58 PM
You can hear Eirebhoy in the background 'he could have played Nakamura instead'.

eirebhoy
06/11/2008, 4:01 PM
Jesus geysir were you watching him at all? ;) He must have headed about 4 or 5 of the kicks up field. I was actually thinking to myself that the centre halves were giving him plenty of space to win those headers. He laid it off well on the ground a couple of times and as was mentioned had a good chance from a corner. I thought he looked much better than he did against Hearts.

You can hear Eirebhoy in the background 'he could have played Nakamura instead'.
Naka's no good in those type of games. :) He would have been good in the Man Utd side but no good in a team that's going to be defending for most of the match.

Anyway, Sean Ingle did the minute by minute report for the Guardian. He might have had Irish bias but here's his comments:

28 min Now and again Celtic offer a hint that they could get a second: especially when Foster flaps twice in a minute. First he fails to deal with a corner. Then, under pressure from the impressive Sheridan, he fumbles again before just about recovering.

61 min So close for Celtic! From a corner Sheridan gets the run on Ferdinand, but his header is about a foot over the bar.

63 min Celtic sub: Sheridan, who has been very impressive, off. Donati, on.

He didn't have a great game or anything but I don't think he looked out of his depth (certainly as he did against Hearts) and Vidic never looked calm while he was on.

geysir
06/11/2008, 4:19 PM
I'm having one of those Bills Thoughts moments:)

eirebhoy
06/11/2008, 4:32 PM
"I don't think I can get too caught up in it all. There are three big players to come back; Sami, Jan and Killen and they are well ahead of me.

I don't think that I have done myself any harm over the past few weeks but I know that I got my chance because of the injury situation.

There is a lot of work for me to do and even in the second half, I really felt as though I was struggling a bit with my fitness. That's just one thing that I have to improve on, but there's a lot more.

It was a fantastic experience but I know that if I want to have more nights like that then I still have a fair bit of work to do."

gspain
06/11/2008, 5:58 PM
Great to see him get a run in the champions league. It will certainly help improve him as a player.

eirebhoy
12/11/2008, 7:06 PM
Nice goal from Sheridan there against Kilmarnock. He flicked a kickout superbly on to McDonald who held it up for Sheridan to take the ball while running past and slot it in with his left.

tommy_c12000
12/11/2008, 7:26 PM
Nice goal from Sheridan there against Kilmarnock. He flicked a kickout superbly on to McDonald who held it up for Sheridan to take the ball while running past and slot it in with his left.

Impressive goal alrite