PDA

View Full Version : European Qualifying 2013.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

nigel-harps1954
16/05/2013, 4:54 PM
With Chelsea winning the Europa League, Derry are automatically promoted to Qualifying Round 2 as cup winners.

Chelsea have to finish in the top 5 in EPL, but, well, after a quick look at the table, it seems highly unlikely they'll be out of the top 5.

dundalkfc10
16/05/2013, 5:26 PM
With Chelsea winning the Europa League, Derry are automatically promoted to Qualifying Round 2 as cup winners.

Chelsea have to finish in the top 5 in EPL, but, well, after a quick look at the table, it seems highly unlikely they'll be out of the top 5.

What?

Derry cant play in Europe

Charlie Darwin
16/05/2013, 7:27 PM
Are Derry fans happy/unhappy about this? They might have preferred a first round berth to increase their chances of picking up a couple of wins. They'll be unseeded for the second round and there are some strong looking teams there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_UEFA_Europa_League#Second_qualifyi ng_round

Is the second qualifying round a free draw or is it sorted by geographical area? Potential clash against Motherwell if the latter.

nigel-harps1954
16/05/2013, 8:19 PM
I know if I were a Derry fan I'd be thoroughly disappointed with it. The chance of a few co-efficient points, a big home gate, and a good chance of getting to round 2 if they were put into round 1.
As you said CD, their chances will be shortened greatly now.

sligoman
16/05/2013, 10:28 PM
Obviously it would be great to come out of the draw against Sligo or Cliftonville. Neither team is full-time, but having recently taken our development team over to meet Irish league sides, I know that it wouldn't be easy. We've got plenty of people across Ireland reporting on what's happening. We'll wait to see what the draw brings us, but playing Sligo or Cliftonville would be welcome.

Lennon showing his ignorance (http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/foxes-target-lennon-for-premier-assault-29262573.html)

The CL draw has been regionalised for the last few years so going by that we're likely to face one of BATE Borisov, Celtic, Molde, Ekranas, Elfsborg, HJK Helsinki or the Polish champions (Legia Warsaw or Lech Poznan).

TheBoss
17/05/2013, 3:35 AM
Lennon showing his ignorance (http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/foxes-target-lennon-for-premier-assault-29262573.html)

The CL draw has been regionalised for the last few years so going by that we're likely to face one of BATE Borisov, Celtic, Molde, Ekranas, Elfsborg, HJK Helsinki or the Polish champions (Legia Warsaw or Lech Poznan).

I think Molde might be a good choice right now, they are last in the Tippeligaen after 10 games with 1 win !!!

DannyInvincible
17/05/2013, 5:05 AM
I know if I were a Derry fan I'd be thoroughly disappointed with it. The chance of a few co-efficient points, a big home gate, and a good chance of getting to round 2 if they were put into round 1.
As you said CD, their chances will be shortened greatly now.

Not 100 per cent certain on this, but aren't club co-efficient points picked up automatically by clubs inserted into the second qualifying round now, as if they had already won a first round tie? Maybe someone can clarify? Anything that makes further progress more likely is to be welcomed, whether that means the loss of a potential big home gate or not. I think this does ensure a greater chance of progression and that the aforementioned attitude is the professional and more ambitious approach to take rather than allowing one's self to become concerned with "glamour ties" and that sort of thing. We can't just assume the first round would be a walk-through, so surely beneficial to avoid any potential banana skin/Bohs-style ****-up.

DannyInvincible
17/05/2013, 5:09 AM

Indeed, just because the clubs share the same island doesn't negate the fact that there is a huge ranking/co-efficient gulf between the Irish League and the League of Ireland. Lumping the two together would seem inappropriate to me, as if to suggest they're both on an equal pedestal. Those across Ireland reporting back to Lennon should probably pay better attention. Who are they? Celtic layfans?

BonnieShels
17/05/2013, 9:26 AM
Not 100 per cent certain on this, but aren't club co-efficient points picked up automatically by clubs inserted into the second qualifying round now, as if they had already won a first round tie? Maybe someone can clarify? Anything that makes further progress more likely is to be welcomed, whether that means the loss of a potential big home gate or not. I think this does ensure a greater chance of progression and that the aforementioned attitude is the professional and more ambitious approach to take rather than allowing one's self to become concerned with "glamour ties" and that sort of thing. We can't just assume the first round would be a walk-through, so surely beneficial to avoid any potential banana skin/Bohs-style ****-up.

A Boh-nana skin if you will.

I hate when there's talk of glamour ties. Haate it! I want our teams to play the worst team in each round that isn't themselves!

A N Mouse
17/05/2013, 9:47 AM
Derry likely to be unseeded.

But is there anything official on if they retain their club co-efficient?

MariborKev
17/05/2013, 9:58 AM
As for the club co-efficient, UEFA appear to class us as the same club(UEFA website lists out history from the 1960s in Europe etc) and the UEFA coefficient index appears to be suggest we will be retaining our rank.

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html

I'd have preferred to be in round 1 to be honest, for the reasons that others have stated. Okay, there is a chance that you could do a Bohs/Longford, or indeed meet someone like Pyunik like we did in 2007. However if we had a 2.475 coefficient then we would likely have been seeded in QR1 and therefore the chances of going through increased, as well as the chance to get another €100,000 as well as the home gates.

Looking at the opposition in QR2 there are plenty of non "big names" that could still thump us.

adamd164
17/05/2013, 10:17 AM
Motherwell would be a great draw for Derry, good chance of going through and a recognisable name.

Most of those teams look tough and relatively unknown to the Irish punter also.

MariborKev
17/05/2013, 11:36 AM
Can't draw Motherwell, they will go in at QR3.

Scottish teams at QR2 are likely to be unseeded and therefore whilst Pats could draw them if they progress, no chance Derry can.

pineapple stu
17/05/2013, 12:36 PM
However if we had a 2.475 coefficient then we would likely have been seeded in QR1 and therefore the chances of going through increased, as well as the chance to get another €100,000 as well as the home gates.
Do you only get the hundred grand if you win a round (as opposed to progress through it with a bye)?

PartySaint
17/05/2013, 1:42 PM
and a good chance of getting to round 2 if they were put into round 1.

Does going straight into round 2 not give them a better chance of that?

ConorRSOeuskadi
17/05/2013, 2:35 PM
Think Derry might enjoy another trip to Fir Park. Turned out to be fairly good last time they were there.

nigel-harps1954
17/05/2013, 3:02 PM
Does going straight into round 2 not give them a better chance of that?

Ah, but the initial point being, that they'd make more money. Essentially, European football for Irish clubs is about making as much money as possible, because, well, let's face it. None of them are getting anywhere.

Duggie
17/05/2013, 3:08 PM

ya as far as im aware if derry are straight through to round 2 then they will pick up the points from round 1 automatically. also they pick up the money from round 1 aswell dont they. win-win.

DannyInvincible
17/05/2013, 3:10 PM
ya as far as im aware if derry are straight through to round 2 then they will pick up the points from round 1 automatically. also they pick up the money from round 1 aswell dont they. win-win.

That is my understanding.

Charlie Darwin
17/05/2013, 3:10 PM
Ah, but the initial point being, that they'd make more money. Essentially, European football for Irish clubs is about making as much money as possible, because, well, let's face it. None of them are getting anywhere.
All it takes is an awkward draw that requires a chartered plane and you don't really make any money at all. At least the second round guarantees a higher-profile team with higher likelihood of being based in an accessible city.

sligoman
17/05/2013, 6:48 PM
I think Molde might be a good choice right now, they are last in the Tippeligaen after 10 games with 1 win !!!I reckon Ekranas is our best chance of progressing, Molde could be tricky even if on a poor run at the moment.

But it doesn't really matter anyway, we'll find a way to lose to anyone in Europe.

Charlie Darwin
18/05/2013, 12:30 AM
If you need any advice on losing to Ekranas... :(

Dodge
18/05/2013, 12:39 AM
Clubs don't get money for rounds they don't play in. So Derry getting a bye for QR1 means they miss that payment

Too tired to explain the club co-efficients but they have ZERO influence on what rounds clubs enter at.

brendy_éire
19/06/2013, 11:11 PM
Not long to go until the draws now.
Thought I'd recommend this article from Extratime on the co-efficient system.
http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/10517/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-the-uefa-club-co-efficient-system/

Acornvilla
20/06/2013, 7:29 AM
Written by some feckin eejit!

A N Mouse
20/06/2013, 9:31 AM
Not long to go until the draws now.
Thought I'd recommend this article from Extratime on the co-efficient system.
http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/10517/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-the-uefa-club-co-efficient-system/

I know it's complicated, but I think the bit about how the points changed in 09/10 needs empahasising.

It would seem contradictory to claim Drogheda had earned no points in the last 5 years, despite evidence in the first table, before explaining this apparent anomaly.

Dodge
20/06/2013, 9:55 AM
As the (presumably handsome) author says in the first paragraph, it's only complicated if you think about it. The important thing for me is the bit that shows that other clubs results have a minimal impact of your club's co-efficient.

A win for (e.g.) Drogheda adds 0.05 to all Irish teams' ranking for next season, so there's no real need for the "do it for the co-efficient" cheerleading.

You can cheer on Irish teams for whatever reasons you llike though. I'll be hoping they all perform well

gormacha
20/06/2013, 10:13 AM
it's only complicated if you think about it.

You can prove anything with facts.

brendy_éire
20/06/2013, 12:57 PM
http://www.uefa.com/uefa/events/newsid=1965211.html

Draw times announced for Monday there.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
22/06/2013, 8:49 AM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2013/0621/458059-clubs-set-to-learn-european-opponents/

legendz
22/06/2013, 5:17 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2013/0621/458059-clubs-set-to-learn-european-opponents/

Is there any chance of RTE possibly showing a few more of these games and promoting the progress of Irish clubs in Europe?

gufcfan
22/06/2013, 6:23 PM
Is there any chance of RTE possibly showing a few more of these games and promoting the progress of Irish clubs in Europe?
No chance. They have cancelled Their PL coverage and we are probably facing into next season with no LOI highlights programme and a live game here and there for appearances sake.

White Horse
22/06/2013, 7:07 PM
Drogheda are planning to have have their "home" games in Tallaght. Empty stadium but maybe Setanta are interested in televising them?

Not as stupid a thought as the Turkish farce.

MariborKev
23/06/2013, 4:44 PM
CSKA Sofia, the team we played shortly before going bust in 2009 have gone bust themselves and won't be taking up their EL place again. Reduces the chances of a third trip to Sofia since we joined the LOI.

MeathDrog
23/06/2013, 5:14 PM
Any idea of the times of the draws?

MariborKev
23/06/2013, 6:32 PM
Any idea of the times of the draws?

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/newsid=1965080.html

Trainee
23/06/2013, 8:50 PM
Drogs ant get CSKA Sofia

http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/10530/cska-out-of-europa-draw/

Dodge
23/06/2013, 9:08 PM
Drogheda are planning to have have their "home" games in Tallaght. Empty stadium but maybe Setanta are interested in televising them?

Not as stupid a thought as the Turkish farce.

Setanta haven't shown a single home tie for an Irish side in Europe. That won't change this year.

MariborKev
23/06/2013, 9:49 PM
Drogs ant get CSKA Sofia

http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/10530/cska-out-of-europa-draw/

Keep up;)

We'd already noted that several hours ago

MariborKev
24/06/2013, 7:54 AM
Decent pot for Sligo and Cliftonville

Group 2
Celtic FC
Legia Warszawa (POL)
IF Elfsborg (SWE)
Molde FK (NOR)
HJK Helsinki (FIN)
FK Ekranas (LTU)

Unseeded
FH Hafnarfjördur (ISL)
The New Saints FC (WAL)
Sligo Rovers FC (IRL)
Cliftonville FC (NIR)
FC Daugava Daugavpils (LVA)
JK Nõmme Kalju (EST)

bennocelt
24/06/2013, 8:21 AM
Ha, Maribor just got there before me! - my favourite time of the year!
Is a decent pot - for the money tie V seltik and the chance of getting through V Ekranas and Molde

iceman
24/06/2013, 8:40 AM
Any channel showing the draws live ?

MariborKev
24/06/2013, 9:32 AM
Nope, streamed on uefa.com

MariborKev
24/06/2013, 9:53 AM
http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2014/draws/index.html

DannyInvincible
24/06/2013, 9:53 AM
Any channel showing the draws live ?

Will be live here in just under ten minutes: http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2014/draws/index.html

Charlie Darwin
24/06/2013, 10:12 AM
Decent pot for Sligo and Cliftonville

Group 2
Celtic FC
Legia Warszawa (POL)
IF Elfsborg (SWE)
Molde FK (NOR)
HJK Helsinki (FIN)
FK Ekranas (LTU)

Unseeded
FH Hafnarfjördur (ISL)
The New Saints FC (WAL)
Sligo Rovers FC (IRL)
Cliftonville FC (NIR)
FC Daugava Daugavpils (LVA)
JK Nõmme Kalju (EST)
Sligo should be able to deal with Ekranas easily enough. Molde would be tough, Elfsborg beatable, and not sure about the rest apart from Celtic. I'd almost like to see Sligo get Celtic just to watch the backlash from the barstoolers when Sligo rightly decide to hold the home fixture in their own ground.

DannyInvincible
24/06/2013, 10:13 AM
"Sleego" get Molde.

DannyInvincible
24/06/2013, 10:15 AM
Cliftonville will play Celtic in what was described as a "British derby".

ger121
24/06/2013, 10:17 AM
You got to think Sligo have a chance of going through to the next round and being unseeded, that's all they can ask for

Charlie Darwin
24/06/2013, 10:17 AM
Cliftonville get the Queen's Celtic. Should be tasty.

Molde have quite a few internationals in their squad. Can't see Sligo getting much luck from that.