PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V Germany 12th October & Faroe Islands 16th October 2012 - World Cup 2014 Q

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Charlie Darwin
12/10/2012, 11:50 AM
The plus side is that he may actually go with 3 central midfielders, i think this is the only way we'll compete in the future. Ward for me is probably the 3rd choice left back, poor performances obviously dont get you dropped. I'm wary of Coleman at full back, would liked to have seen him on the right side of midfield with McGeady on the left. Happy with O'Shea at centre half, much prefer a Dunne-O'Shea partnership going forward. Cox is an ok player but it must be obvious that he's miles behind Shane Long. Playing a 4-5-1 incorporating McClean, Dunne and Ciaran Clark/Marc Wilson would offer some hope.
I don't think Dunne and O'Shea will be doing much going forward at their ages. Ward is in the side because he is quick and a reasonable defender.

Critics of Trap's conservatism appear not to have noticed that this is the most attacking pair of full backs we've put on the same pitch since Carr and Phelan played together under McCarthy over a decade ago.

paul_oshea
12/10/2012, 11:55 AM
Yes it has been noted by some. Trap always speaks of balance. So why has he done this now? Why go with 2 attacking full backs in a game of this importance? WHy not in a friendly? Why go for it against one of the best teams in the World, when we are already so weak in defense?

Trap does not believe we are going to be able match them in football and score more - to make up for our weak defence - so why has he done this now? WHy not go with conservatism as usual and hope for the best and scrape a draw?

BonnieShels
12/10/2012, 11:57 AM
Well, I had a dream last night that we beat them 3-0. Of course, the last time I had a dream like that, we won the World Cup too.

Hey Trigger!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ls5bzISPGs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

SwanVsDalton
12/10/2012, 12:01 PM
Yes it has been noted by some. Trap always speaks of balance. So why has he done this now? Why go with 2 attacking full backs in a game of this importance? WHy not in a friendly? Why go for it against one of the best teams in the World, when we are already so weak in defense?

Trap does not believe we are going to be able match them in football and score more - to make up for our weak defence - so why has he done this now? WHy not go with conservatism as usual and hope for the best and scrape a draw?

The more attacking full-backs balances out three in the middle, while Cox (possibly) tucking inside to join Walters means a more attacking RB would have space to exploit. That's my reading anyhow. Definitely a gamble given we're not sure on Coleman's defensive ability, but it's not entirely unbalanced.

Charlie Darwin
12/10/2012, 12:05 PM

Because playing three in midfield takes away a lot of our natural width, meaning the full backs have to provide more going forward and need more speed/stamina to get up and down the line constantly. The most interesting part will be seeing where McGeady fits in.

paul_oshea
12/10/2012, 12:08 PM
I don't think that makes any difference really, the point is why are we more attack minded, even with your formation, with the 2 wider midfielders supporting both full backs and mccarthy most likely sitting deep in the middle, we are still very attack minded.

There are still some papers reporting a 4-4-2. I will be very sceptical if that proves correct.

I see Trap seeing this as a win win for him under all scenarios. A double win if we lose. A triple win if we got a draw. Its certainly a bit near to try this out where a hammering is possible.

As regards Mcgeady i see him running horizonal rather than vertical tonight!!

Charlie Darwin
12/10/2012, 12:11 PM
I don't think that makes any difference really, the point is why are we more attack minded, even with your formation, with the 2 wider midfielders supporting both full backs and mccarthy most likely sitting deep in the middle, we are still very attack minded.

There are still some papers reporting a 4-4-2. I will be very sceptical if that proves correct.

I see Trap seeing this as a win win for him under all scenarios. A double win if we lose. A triple win if we got a draw. Its certainly a bit near to try this out where a hammering is possible.
It's more attacking because we have faster, more attack-minded players in the team.

I still don't get your logic that Trap will be delighted if we lose the match.

Drumcondra 69er
12/10/2012, 12:29 PM
close, but I got it from here: http://fantasy.premierleague.com/stats/elements/?element_filter=te_14&stat_filter=assists
Still has him on 3 assists, same site (well same premierleague.com domain), but different values

I had a look at Squawka as well: http://www.squawka.com/players/jonathan-walters (click total chances created)
and they only list one assist as well, with 7 key passes

Fantasy site awards the points as per midnight the night of the game. The likes of the dubious goals committee etc doesn't change it so I'd say that's where the discrepancy come from.

Would sooner have Long in personally but it's a far tighter call then the media and a lot of people are making out. Long has 2 golas in the league and has been sub or been subbed on a number of occasions, he's not banging them in every week. I think Trap always intended bring Long on when the game stretched a bit, I think he'd have been brought on before Walters had Keane been fit, I don't buy this theory that he's suddenly 4th or 5th in the pecking order. Horses for courses seems to be Traps MO.

tricky_colour
12/10/2012, 12:38 PM
close, but I got it from here: http://fantasy.premierleague.com/stats/elements/?element_filter=te_14&stat_filter=assists
Still has him on 3 assists, same site (well same premierleague.com domain), but different values

I had a look at Squawka as well: http://www.squawka.com/players/jonathan-walters (click total chances created)
and they only list one assist as well, with 7 key passes

Interesting thanks for those, n doubt I will be quoting from them in future!
It seems to be pretty much what was the Actim index, which I thought they had stopped producing.

Just had another look for it, and found this
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/assists/_/league/eng.2/english-league-championship?cc=5739
Which is an index for the Championship and very interesting it is too, the much-maligned Andy Keogh with 5 assists,
Well ahead of Simon Cox on 2.

Wolfie
12/10/2012, 12:45 PM
Really hoping Fahy and McCarthy step up tonight. It will be up to Andrews to get involved from the off and get the other 2 lads up and running.

Need a big performance from the erratic McGeady. If he has one of those dozy nights, we'll have very few options to alleviate pressure down the wing with Duff gone.

Anyone recall Walters 15 minute cameo at home in the last qualifiers?? Albania ?? When he's in the zone, he's one of the best retainers of posession in the Premiership. He's used to being isolated and scrapping for posession for Stoke. I think Trapp has got this right on the requirements of this game and if we are going with 4-5-1.

Long is a quality player but when he wins the ball, he has a tendency to take on players and run into the channel. He doesn't lay it off as much.

I think Trapp wants the possession won and then fed on to a team mate. Walters does this for Stoke very well.

Thanks Christ there appear to be some semblance of tactical effort to keep the ball for more than 10 seconds.

the bear
12/10/2012, 2:06 PM
Really hoping Fahy and McCarthy step up tonight. It will be up to Andrews to get involved from the off and get the other 2 lads up and running.

Need a big performance from the erratic McGeady. If he has one of those dozy nights, we'll have very few options to alleviate pressure down the wing with Duff gone.

Anyone recall Walters 15 minute cameo at home in the last qualifiers?? Albania ?? When he's in the zone, he's one of the best retainers of posession in the Premiership. He's used to being isolated and scrapping for posession for Stoke. I think Trapp has got this right on the requirements of this game and if we are going with 4-5-1.

Long is a quality player but when he wins the ball, he has a tendency to take on players and run into the channel. He doesn't lay it off as much.

I think Trapp wants the possession won and then fed on to a team mate. Walters does this for Stoke very well.

Thanks Christ there appear to be some semblance of tactical effort to keep the ball for more than 10 seconds.

Well said Wolf hopefully Fahey and McCarthy can knock the ball around a bit tonight.

Charlie Darwin
12/10/2012, 2:12 PM
Sold out according to the FAI.

jbyrne
12/10/2012, 2:18 PM

hopefully to fans willing to put their dislike of the manager to one side and get behind the team like never before....

Wolfie
12/10/2012, 2:37 PM
Well said Wolf hopefully Fahey and McCarthy can knock the ball around a bit tonight.

All said - I really hope McCarthy, Andrews and Fahy are not reduced to spectators as the ball is hoofed high and far above their heads. There's not much a 3 man midfield can do if the ball spends most of the time in the air!!!

the bear
12/10/2012, 2:39 PM
hopefully to fans willing to put their dislike of the manager to one side and get behind the team like never before....

Everyone will be up for it. It would be nice to get one over on the landlords. Can't wait

Murfinator
12/10/2012, 3:40 PM
The germans will be fuming to see Klose and in particular Podolski start who they do not rate very highly at all. Think we might have got off the hook a little to avoid having to face Kroos, Muller and particularly the in form Gotze though no doubt he'll be sprung from the bench if they need him.

Of whos playing, Reus is the man to fear, Ozil and Schweinstieger are both in shaky form. Reus is on fire, think he has 4 goals in his last 3.
I saw a lot of the papers today labeling Schmelzer as inexperienced and a potential weak link, I'd say thats nonsense and he's a very dangerous attacking fullback who could lay down a statement here.

Hard to call the extent of just how much Germany will win by tonight, I don't anticipate any other outcome but think our showing could range from positive and something to build from to a decapitation from having so little experience. We'll learn a lot about this formation and the fringe players ability to step up, that's for certain.

Fester
12/10/2012, 3:41 PM

Check ticketmaster. Match sold out.

Murfinator
12/10/2012, 3:43 PM

He's playing the players and formation people have been bleating about so there is absolutely zero reason for anyone to complain, it'd say a lot about the character of our supporters if they did anyway.

Dodge
12/10/2012, 4:19 PM
He's playing the players and formation people have been bleating about so there is absolutely zero reason for anyone to complain, it'd say a lot about the character of our supporters if they did anyway.

You think most Irish fans want Cox as right winger? Or even Ward at left full? Not trying to be facetious but there isn't one over-arcing "Irish fans position". Most people want different things, and who are you to say they can't complain about team selection/tactics?

boovidge
12/10/2012, 4:49 PM
All I want is players playing in position, mostly.

rellik
12/10/2012, 5:21 PM
Anyone know where there's a live feed for tonights game?

Charlie Darwin
12/10/2012, 5:22 PM
This will be updated as the game gets closer: http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?matchid=174223&part=sports

Charlie Darwin
12/10/2012, 6:04 PM
That German line-up is frightening. Didn't realise Hummels was fit enough to make the bench.

5 minutes in and Bill has already gone down 'pis*side' with Tony O'Donoghue and Dunphy has questioned the decision to play O'Dea, who's playing for the team bottom of something called the MSL.

A face
12/10/2012, 6:19 PM
_sMBtvutOy0

dong
12/10/2012, 6:29 PM
Good man Keith. I hope he has the game of his life tonight. A wonderful footballer.

Bottle of Tonic
12/10/2012, 6:31 PM
Anyone know where there's a live feed for tonights game?

firstrowsports. Second link is RTE

TerryPhelan
12/10/2012, 6:36 PM
http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/146216/1/watch-fifa-wcq:-ireland-vs-germany.html

theworm2345
12/10/2012, 6:37 PM
Germany never lost an away World Cup Qualifier :eek:

They just showed Paul McGrath in the stand, even with two bad knees I'd still have had him in the Starting XI tonight.

Schweinsteiger and O'Shea just had a bit of a moment there.

None of the UK-born players seem to know the anthem

shakermaker1982
12/10/2012, 6:44 PM
Bagpipes?!!!!

SkStu
12/10/2012, 6:45 PM
Uileann Pipes surely?

theworm2345
12/10/2012, 6:47 PM
George just said a tackle from Paul O'Shea put Robbie out :p

SkStu
12/10/2012, 6:49 PM
George just said a tackle from Paul O'Shea put Robbie out :p

a tackle or a "poorly constructed post which b@stardises the english language"? :p

SkStu
12/10/2012, 6:50 PM
Come on lads - lets be 'avin you!

theworm2345
12/10/2012, 6:54 PM
Not a bad opening five minutes

SkStu
12/10/2012, 6:58 PM
i can hear the gnashing of POS' teeth as Ward sliced that one out for a corner!

shakermaker1982
12/10/2012, 7:02 PM
McGeady has 55 caps already?! Wow.

NeverFeltBetter
12/10/2012, 7:05 PM
This is great stuff so far. Pressing the ball more, breaking fast from the back. Walters causing problems, Ward running his socks off.

SkStu
12/10/2012, 7:08 PM
i know im going to regret saying this and im at work so not catching the whole coverage but Germany seem there for the taking a bit...

tricky_colour
12/10/2012, 7:09 PM
Does not look too bad so far, not looking totally out classed

tricky_colour
12/10/2012, 7:11 PM
i know im going to regret saying this and im at work so not catching the whole coverage but Germany seem there for the taking a bit...

Yep I felt confident enough to back Ireland for the win at 7.8-1
That's normally the kiss of death for Ireland when I back em though but I did pull off a 40-1 shot last time.

NeverFeltBetter
12/10/2012, 7:12 PM
Germany beginning to dominate things now, but their delivery into the box has been dire so far. Long may that continue.

NeverFeltBetter
12/10/2012, 7:15 PM
McGeady and Coleman linked up brilliantly just there to win the ball from Mueller. More of that please.

theworm2345
12/10/2012, 7:18 PM
Lucky lucky boy

theworm2345
12/10/2012, 7:20 PM
What a ****ing joke

ken foree
12/10/2012, 7:21 PM
ah crap.

Maroon 7
Good to see we are continuing our comedy defending from the Euros.

tricky_colour
We seem to be defending quite well, I don't get that sense of impending doom .........lol

NeverFeltBetter
Awful decision by ref. And Germany score....Damn.

Uncle_Joe
12/10/2012, 7:22 PM
Karma is a bitch!

tricky_colour
12/10/2012, 7:22 PM
OH no!