PDA

View Full Version : Limerick Premier Division 2012/13

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22]

AlanOB
09/06/2013, 12:16 PM
Actually, I've had my doubts since last season.

Even then, Pike showed that their rigid approach with two no 9s meant that they often found it difficult to break down weaker sides on paper, who were looking to get men behind the ball. I'd call your attention to their victory over 1A side Caherdavin on penalties in the FAI Junior Cup. They also needed penalties to overcome Ballynanty, and were minutes away from defeat in normal time. Robbie Kelleher was put clean through at 2-1 for Balla too, and should have scored. Only the individual performance of Tierney saved them in that match, providing two assists.

That's kind of the point with Considine. Having two players who are head and shoulders above the rest in the middle (Tierney and Kavanagh) will cover a multitude. Look at the 6-1 away win against Carew in the league where the two of them ripped them apart.

But then you look at the 3-1 home defeat to Boro in the Tuohy when Tierney was missing. They had absolutely nothing going forward. The same old problems. Ineffective performances in wide areas from Hanrahan and Higgins. Both Barry and Moloney staying high up against Clarke and Colbert. Just a boxy, predictable shape. I believe that was also one of Jeffrey Judge's first games for the club, partnering Kavanagh in the middle. That proved to be a poor signing as Judge is not a good complement to Conor. Not a creative player. Not going to unlock a defence.

You need to look at the FAI Junior game against Wayside. Wayside sat deep with ten men behind the ball. Pike, in Tierney's absence again created absolutely nothing in 90 minutes, relying on Moloney to win a penalty in the dying seconds. Wayside on the other hand had two unbelievable chances to win the game.

If you're seeing a pattern, you're obviously reading carefully - the FAI run was an absolute farce, culminating in that bizarre tactical experiment with a back 3 against Clonmel Celtic that saw them eliminated (not long after being eliminated by the same side in the Munster Junior Cup).

I'll stress this point again because it bears repeating: When one has resources that far outstrip your opponents, triumph is sometimes guaranteed. But if the man at the top doesn't have the insight and the ability to manage those resources the cracks will appear to those who look carefully. And eventually he will be found out. So it has proved.

Fairkop
09/06/2013, 2:57 PM
yes hotspur,the champions cup is for all the league winners in munster and since its inception has been littered with walkovers and lack of interest.there is no doubt the fai is a difficult trophy to win ,but NO club in the last 5-6 years has had the quality and depth pike have had so imo one fai is a poor return on that ..investment...however given the knowledge and skills you constanly proport the departing pike manager possess,s hopefully we will see him back managing another club in the future albeit on considerable less resources and he will show everyone he has that skill set to win many more competitions.

DerekMcKenna
10/06/2013, 2:21 PM
Any chance I could use this season review for the Junior Soccer Portal website Alan?

AlanOB
10/06/2013, 3:25 PM
You should have a message on Facebook about that Derek. Just some thoughts on how best I might be able to contribute. Hold off for now please.