PDA

View Full Version : Matt Doherty D Wolves b.1992

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

theworm2345
05/01/2011, 6:58 PM
Former Bohs defender on the bench tonight against Chelsea for Wolves, fourth time making the matchday squad. Anyone know more about him? Apparently he can play anywhere in defense, maybe more of a fullback?

SkStu
05/01/2011, 7:11 PM
he is a former Bohs A-team player, played one friendly against Wolves at LB i think and impressed Mick Mc enough to shell out 80k on him. Very little else known about him from all accounts to be honest although im sure if any Bohs fan knows more they will share.

AlaskaFox
05/01/2011, 7:54 PM
Great article on him by Greenscene this time last month:
http://greenscene.me/2010/12/wolves-matt-doherty-not-getting-carried-away/

Here's an interesting quote from it, with what Stu said there, how he never played for Bohs.
"Amazingly, Doherty never actually played a competitive League of Ireland game for Bohemians. He began his career at Home Farm and then Belvedere before moving to Bohs under-20s and onto the reserves. He then played with the senior team in friendly games, and caught the eye of Mick McCarthy in the club’s friendly with Wolves. However, he does not expect his career to take off overnight, and knows he has to work hard to progress."

cornflakes
05/01/2011, 10:54 PM
He seems to be making quick enough progress, bohs reserves to wolves bench in a few months. Maybe this proves our league is the best in the whole wide world
so feck you andy gray

irishfan86
07/01/2011, 11:45 PM
He's going to make his debut tomorrow in the FA Cup against Doncaster:

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2011/01/07/matt-doherty-to-make-his-wolves-debut/

tetsujin1979
07/01/2011, 11:52 PM
Any word on nathan rooney playing?

boovidge
08/01/2011, 1:52 PM
Doherty starts today

paul_oshea
09/01/2011, 8:11 PM
Hi did he do considering they lost

SwanVsDalton
09/01/2011, 8:39 PM
They didn't lose, drew 2-2. Haven't heard much about his performance yet though.

Manc Irish Wolf
10/01/2011, 1:58 PM
A solid, if not spectacular performance, from the young lad. Sounds as if he was nervous to start, which is hardly surprising considering his (relatively) meteoric rise, came into the game as it progressed and was meant to have a meaty challenge late on (he's a big lad by the looks of the greenscene picture, so there may be a possibility that he may turn into a centrehalf eventually). I don't think that he was helped by not having an experienced centreback to guide him with Stearman having another mare, however dare say Craddock will give him better guidance when he is back.

Ratings from Molineux Mix

Doherty 6 - Not a bad debut from the lad. Looked a bit nervy at times during the first half but wasnt helped from time to time by the centre backs giving him harder work than needed doing. Solid if unspectacular but not quite ready for the premier league from this showing.

Doherty very nervous anf gave his man too much space. Grew as the game wore on.

Doherty did OK but seemed apprehensive and reluctant to play any long balls- think he tried one cross during the whole match.

Doherty - positionally looked lost from time to time - particularly in the first half, but steadied and put in one lovely full bloodied challenge late on

Incidentally, Hunt was meant to have his best game in a Wolves shirt, he appears to be growing into the team following his good game against Chelsea.

tetsujin1979
06/03/2011, 2:37 PM
on the bench again today against Spurs

theworm2345
27/04/2011, 9:50 PM
Bagged a brace against West Ham reserves tonight, maybe Mick should try him up front.
http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/ReservesReportDetail/0,,10307~2348136,00.html

CraftyToePoke
24/08/2011, 2:00 AM
Started and played the 90 in the Cup game V (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/14539189.stm) Northampton tonight, a 4-0 win, and a positive report on his performance here (http://www.wolvesforum.co.uk/showthread.php?11800-Northampton-0-Wolves-4-Verdict-Thread), still unclear if he played RB or CB but it looks like he had an assist for his sides fourth from a cross so maybe RB.

AlaskaFox
24/08/2011, 8:46 AM
Played right back afaik.

IsMiseSean
24/08/2011, 12:45 PM
Ya he started RB. A little something on the game from the Wolves website Here (http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/News/0,,10307~2430075,00.html)

Charlie Darwin
24/08/2011, 4:21 PM
Winger Anthony Forde, who was in the same U19s team as Doherty, also made his debut.

Manc Irish Wolf
24/08/2011, 5:25 PM
Played well by all accounts. Forde wasn't given long enough to make an effect, however scotred in tonights reserve game and is obviously highly rated:

Neat and tidy. Couple of mistakes that show he's still a raw player but did well and got forward when he could.

Defence was solid with all 4 doing what they needed to.

Doherty and Reckord looked ok, certainly didn't look out of their depth, but they're not ready for a PL step-up yet

The young lad at right back (43 - his name escaped me) had a good game.

Charlie Darwin
21/09/2011, 6:49 PM
He's signed a new three-year deal. Fans seem to be impressed by him.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2011/09/21/matt-doherty-signs-new-wolves-deal/

Charlie Darwin
24/09/2011, 1:35 PM
On the bench for Wolves today. Ward, Hunt and Doyle start.

liamoo11
24/09/2011, 3:32 PM
on at half time

SkStu
24/09/2011, 3:38 PM
and is doing very well. As are Ward and Hunt. Doyle not at the races. Had an excellent chance to score shortly after the 1st goal but just messed it up. Not sure what he was playing at actually.

theworm2345
24/09/2011, 4:52 PM
and is doing very well. As are Ward and Hunt. Doyle not at the races. Had an excellent chance to score shortly after the 1st goal but just messed it up. Not sure what he was playing at actually.
That was a bit awkward for Doyle but I still though he should've done better and then he shot when he should've pulled it back to Henry. Apparently Wolves looked a completely different team in the second half which is when I tuned in.

SkStu
24/09/2011, 4:56 PM
same - had a late start this morning and only caught the 2nd half.

Charlie Darwin
25/09/2011, 1:16 AM
Doherty was a definite improvement on Stearman, who was caught miles out of position on several occasions. I think he was bamboozled by the wingers and Suarez a couple of times but he's hardly the only one who will be this season. He definitely wasn't overwhelmed. I think he'll start the next game if Foley doesn't recover.

Manc Irish Wolf
26/09/2011, 12:05 PM
Doherty did very well by all accounts and with any luck will be in ahead of Stearman, who has been woeful in the last two games, against Newcastle on Saturday.

He's meant to be a Big Lad who gets up the line well, so fits with Traps love for tall fullbacks and obviously is very highly rated considering that McCarthy has hardly given any young kids a chance, preferring them to have 50-100 games experience on loan, similar to his buying policy.

A few comments on him below.

http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=63661

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2011/09/26/a-dream-week-at-wolves-for-matt-doherty/

On another note Wardy played well as well, however Doyler simply doesn't look with it at the momment. His body language looks completely disinterested and verging on sullen. He may have an injury, however I have a worry that his head has been turned by potential transfer talk. Irrespective, he needs to concentrate on scoring goals, which he hasn't done effectively for the past season and a half, as this is the only thing that will get him the move he appears to desire. Especially as it is more than likely that he will be dropped for Fletcher, who is a lot more potent threat these days, if we play 4-5-1 more often. His loss of form is a big worry at the moment.

IsMiseSean
27/09/2011, 9:59 PM
Looks like he could get the nod on saturday
Boss: Doherty In The Frame (http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/News/0,,10307~2464356,00.html)

paul_oshea
28/09/2011, 3:22 PM
, however Doyler simply doesn't look with it at the momment. His body language looks completely disinterested and verging on sullen. He may have an injury, however I have a worry that his head has been turned by potential transfer talk. Irrespective, he needs to concentrate on scoring goals, which he hasn't done effectively for the past season and a half, as this is the only thing that will get him the move he appears to desire. Especially as it is more than likely that he will be dropped for Fletcher, who is a lot more potent threat these days, if we play 4-5-1 more often. His loss of form is a big worry at the moment.

I dont think that has anything to do with it, he has also just signed a new contract, what I believe is since the Trap affair(like many players before him), he looks unassured and frustrated. He doesn't look his usual self, his demeanour, body language have even changed. Doyle was always chest out shoulders back kinda guy, I haven't seen any of that since the whole thing with Trap started. I thought the first game back he looked fine, but since the little spat with Trap he has regressed. Doyle appears a fairly shy, unassuming player, probably one who needs re-assuring rather than being told he has a problem. I really think that has effected him. Using that approach with some players is fine, probably someone like joey barton who would turn the negative into a positive for himself, but someone like Doyler I reckon is far more effected by this, probably questioning himself. Trap I think in general needs to be a little more tactful a littles(yes i meant that) less benitez and more Mick Mccarthy.

SwanVsDalton
29/09/2011, 10:33 AM
I dont think that has anything to do with it, he has also just signed a new contract, what I believe is since the Trap affair(like many players before him), he looks unassured and frustrated. He doesn't look his usual self, his demeanour, body language have even changed. Doyle was always chest out shoulders back kinda guy, I haven't seen any of that since the whole thing with Trap started. I thought the first game back he looked fine, but since the little spat with Trap he has regressed. Doyle appears a fairly shy, unassuming player, probably one who needs re-assuring rather than being told he has a problem. I really think that has effected him. Using that approach with some players is fine, probably someone like joey barton who would turn the negative into a positive for himself, but someone like Doyler I reckon is far more effected by this, probably questioning himself. Trap I think in general needs to be a little more tactful a littles(yes i meant that) less benitez and more Mick Mccarthy.

By the same dint, shouldn't Doyle redouble his efforts at club level if that really is the problem? He has a job to do for Wolves, if he's letting a disagreement with Trap make him look sullen and disinterested, he should get his head right. As should any player in that position.

I'd have Doyle pegged as the kind of player who would return to club level looking to prove Trap completely wrong. He doesn't strike me as a sulker, and never appears particularly shy on the pitch. So not convinced that's the only reason. Either way he'll get back on it like the top striker he is, I'm sure.

Charlie Darwin
29/09/2011, 11:01 AM
The spat with Trap is tabloid nonsense. Trap's comments were ill-advised (you could say that about a lot of what he says) but he clearly values Doyle immensely and Doyle's not the type of player to get bent out of shape over one disagreement. He's clearly been suffering with a series of niggling injuries and really should have had a rest by now.

paul_oshea
29/09/2011, 12:44 PM
His niggling injuries have nothing to do with how he reacted when taken off in DUblin and Russia. He is clearly not happy and said as much when asked about Trap saying mentally he wasn't right.

Did people not see his reaction when he came off against Russia? And to a lesser extent against SLovakia?

Ya agreed on that part SvD, Im not saying its the only factor, but i definitely think there is an element to it.

Charlie Darwin
29/09/2011, 1:51 PM
Well he deserved to be taken off in those games and Cox improved the team on both occasions when he came on. His frustration was likely with himself.

dr_peepee
30/09/2011, 9:57 AM
Nah!! There was some thinly veiled remarks recorded on radio about it. Not quite outright descent but it was obvious he wasn't happy with trapps comments about his fitness and state of mind.

Charlie Darwin
30/09/2011, 3:49 PM
Well he's hardly proved him wrong then, has he?

freewheel30
01/02/2012, 7:17 AM
Loan move to Hibs arranged at the eleventh hour, so back under the tutelage of P. Fenlon

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120131/doherty-joins-on-loan_2262950_2595802

Will probably go straight into the side.

Roy O'Donovan also gone up there from Coventry.

IsMiseSean
01/02/2012, 9:48 AM
Loan move to Hibs arranged at the eleventh hour, so back under the tutelage of P. Fenlon

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120131/doherty-joins-on-loan_2262950_2595802

Will probably go straight into the side.

Roy O'Donovan also gone up there from Coventry.

Did Rhys Murphy join them too?

dr_peepee
01/02/2012, 10:14 AM
Think he went to Preston..

Charlie Darwin
01/02/2012, 10:43 AM
Nice piece of business by Nutsy.

SkStu
02/02/2012, 2:33 AM
Will turn out to be great experience for Doherty. I think Mick really fancies him. Fair play to Nutsy though, he has acquired some decent players over the transfer window. Should be enough to keep them up. Tom Soares could be excellent signing too in my opinion. Could be one of those players who scores for fun in Scotland.

Charlie Darwin
02/02/2012, 2:47 AM
I think Mick really fancies him.

http://i43.tinypic.com/wttv9u.gif

tommy_c12000
07/05/2012, 7:51 PM
Looks to be on fire 2nite V Dunfirmline . . . . .goal and an assist in 1st half. Hibs 3 up and guaranteed of safety

Charlie Darwin
15/05/2012, 2:45 PM
Short interview in the Irish Times ahead of Hibs' Scottish Cup Final appearance on Saturday. Seems very confident in his own ability and a bit put out that Noel King has left him out of the U21s squad. He's lucky it's not Don Givens in charge.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0515/1224316129263.html

IsMiseSean
15/05/2012, 5:40 PM
Didn't know the U21 squad was named. Cant seem to find it anywhere...

Predator
15/05/2012, 5:56 PM
It hasn't been announced to the general public yet, but it has been chosen for a few weeks.

Charlie Darwin
09/03/2013, 3:31 PM
Just scored his first league goal to equalise for Wolves against Nottingham Forest. They lasted two minutes before conceding again.

tricky_colour
09/03/2013, 4:14 PM
Wolves only out of drop zone on goal difference, Forest back in play offs albeit having played an extra game,
extending their winning run to 5 in a row, I dread to think the last time they won 5 in a row, probably around 1981!!
(2006 actually in League 1).

Paddy Garcia
09/03/2013, 7:21 PM
Sacking Mick when they did was a truly dreadful decision.

tricky_colour
09/03/2013, 11:30 PM
Yes the problem with sacking managers who are not doing as well as you would like is that the replacement is as
likely to be worse as he is likely to be better. Found that when they got rid of Sean O Driscoll, who was doing 'OK'
IMO, his replacement was dreadful (Scottish guy forget his name) McLeish!! They were right to get rid of him though
he was dreadful.
I have a feeling this could be their year, 3 of the 5 they have won have been away games and I think the 5-1 you can get on
them being promoted is a bargain, I might have some of that, would probably curse them if I did though. Have a few tough
games coming up though.

Irish_Praha
10/03/2013, 2:10 AM
Yes the problem with sacking managers who are not doing as well as you would like is that the replacement is as
likely to be worse as he is likely to be better. Found that when they got rid of Sean O Driscoll, who was doing 'OK'
IMO, his replacement was dreadful (Scottish guy forget his name) McLeish!! They were right to get rid of him though
he was dreadful.
I have a feeling this could be their year, 3 of the 5 they have won have been away games and I think the 5-1 you can get on
them being promoted is a bargain, I might have some of that, would probably curse them if I did though. Have a few tough
games coming up though.

Agreed. They should never of gotten rid of Davis in the first place. The board had their heads turned by the prospect of having a former England manager and made all types of false promises to get him in there.
Not sure what the story was with O'Driscoll but again McLeish was probably attracted to the job because of past glories. Davis see this job as unfinished business and knows what the club is about so it's no surprise he has turned it around.
Funny that some of the players that were performing under him but were not usewd so often since he left are playing very good all of a sudden.

DannyInvincible
18/08/2013, 11:27 AM
'Wolves boss Kenny Jackett praises match-winning Matt Doherty': http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/ireland/2013/08/18/4194935/wolves-boss-kenny-jackett-praises-match-winning-matt-doherty

The Wolves boss heaped praise upon the Republic of Ireland under 21 international after his 85th minute strike granted his side three points

Wolves manager Kenny Jackett praised the "very good contribution" of Matt Doherty after the defender's late effort secured three points against Bristol City.

Bakary Sako gave Jackett's side the lead after 25 minutes before Jay Emmanuel-Thomas equalised for the Robins in the second half, but Doherty ensured that Wolves continued their unbeaten start to the season.

Doherty's 85th minute striker took a deflection off Bristol City defender Aden Flint, but the 21-year-old is claiming the goal according to Jackett.

"Doherty is claiming it which is no surprise," joked the Wolves boss after the game. "It looked like the defender got the last touch whether that be on the line or whether it was already in.

"Kevin Doyle was putting the defender under pressure at the time and I am sure the TV replay will clear it up.It was a good run and a very good contribution from a full back to come up with a telling touch."

Doherty, who scored twice in the Republic of Ireland under-21s' 4-1 victory over the Faroe Islands on Wednesday, has displaced his compatriot Kevin Foley as the first choice right full back under Jackett and the Wolves boss recently expressed a desire to tie the Republic of Ireland under-21 international down on a long-term deal.

"There haven't been any developments – I don’t know whether any talks have been ongoing," Jackett told the Express and Star. "But I can only re-iterate my own point of view which is Matt's a player I like and would like to keep at the club in the future and we all feel that way."

Sullivinho
18/08/2013, 12:48 PM
Doherty, who scored twice in the Republic of Ireland under-21s' 4-1 victory over the Faroe Islands on Wednesday, has displaced his compatriot Kevin Foley as the first choice right full back under Jackett and the Wolves boss recently expressed a desire to tie the Republic of Ireland under-21 international down on a long-term deal.

Good grief, talk about a forgotten man!