PDA

View Full Version : What the FAI thinks of progressive clubs:

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Lim till i die
13/05/2010, 6:48 PM
Limerick FC would like to confirm that they have been in on-going negotiations with FC Barcelona with a view to hosting them in a friendly match at Thomond Park in July of this year. The club confirms that agreement has been reached between Limerick FC and FC Barcelona that the match would take place on July 31st subject to official sanctioning by the Football Association of Ireland. The agreement guarantees that the FC Barcelona team to play Limerick will include marquee stars such as Lionel Messi, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Xavi, Bojan & all new marquee signings

However, Limerick FC has been informed that the Airtricity League Director has refused to sanction the game. The failure of the FAI & Airtricity League Director to sanction this game ensures that fans throughout the Mid West region and beyond will not have the opportunity to see the world’s greatest stars in action.

Pat O’Sullivan, Chairman, Limerick FC said, “This is a massive setback for Limerick FC, Limerick City and the Mid-West region. We along with Thomond Park & local tourism bodies have worked tirelessly to bring a team of the stature of FC Barcelona to the sports mad Mid West region. The potential benefit to the local economy of up to €10million and to the profile of soccer in the region is enormous. This makes it imperative that the Airtricity League Director reverse his decision, sanction this match and allow fans all over the region see the likes of Lionel Messi grace Thomond Park in July.”

Mind Boggling........

Dodge
13/05/2010, 6:54 PM
wow...

RonnieB
13/05/2010, 6:54 PM
It would be mind boggling if it were not for the fact the FAI are involved then it sadly seems normal :(

Martinho II
13/05/2010, 6:55 PM
whats theFAI'sproblem with this? they had no objections when Derry City played Barcelona years ago..:o

Ciprian Marica
13/05/2010, 6:57 PM
Somehow I imagine this will run for a while, not positive PR for the FAI...yet again.

SkStu
13/05/2010, 7:18 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0513/limerick.html

absolute morons. Gavin needs to take his head out of his arse.

Youths4Ever
13/05/2010, 7:18 PM
mind boggles would have been a great fund raiser and a great night. what a stupid reason then gave as well

SkStu
13/05/2010, 7:19 PM
mind boggles would have been a great fund raiser and a great night. did the FAI give a reason for not allowing the game to go ahead?

2 other league games on that night (not involving Limerick)

bullit
13/05/2010, 7:19 PM
yee holy gods!!!
another crazy move,i hope Limerick go to the courts on this. JESUS WEPT

Infadel
13/05/2010, 7:20 PM
Complete kick in the balls for Limerick because the hypocrits in the FAI knew they wouldn't make a cent out of that tie if it went ahead. I'm gutted to hear this happening to Limerick it would have been a nice earner for them

Mr A
13/05/2010, 7:20 PM
Sounds crazy, but we've only heard one side of the story.

Lim till i die
13/05/2010, 7:34 PM
2 other league games on that night (not involving Limerick)

Just checked there.

The two First Division Clubs who are at home that night......................

*drumroll*

Salthill Devon and Athlone Town. :eek:

Dodge
13/05/2010, 7:37 PM
Sounds crazy, but we've only heard one side of the story.

We've heard the League's reasoning too

Réiteoir
13/05/2010, 7:41 PM
a). Game doesn't involve Man Utd in some way
b). Game not on same night as Champions League game
c). Game not staged to open a white elephant of a building

GAME OFF

bluepowers
13/05/2010, 7:44 PM
how do they expect clubs to run when we cant have a HUGE money game all i can say is

Jicked
13/05/2010, 7:44 PM
Obviously this is punishment for Barca beating John Delaney's beloved Man Yoo in the Champions League final last year.

Réiteoir
13/05/2010, 7:48 PM
Obviously this is punishment for Barca beating John Delaney's beloved Man Yoo in the Champions League final last year.

And anything to get back at Thierry Henry as well - evil FAI - depriving him of the chance of playing on the biggest stage of all down in Limerick

Candystripe
13/05/2010, 7:53 PM
I'm guessing this is a wind up!

Even the F.A.I. wouldn't stoop this low.

holidaysong
13/05/2010, 8:04 PM
Surely this precedent can be used to have the LOI XI vs. Manchester United called off when Bohemians get into the Third Qualifying round of the Champions League?

paudie
13/05/2010, 8:10 PM
Mind boggling decision by the FAI. Limerick should lobby the clubs playing that night to say they've no objection to the Barca game.

DmanDmythDledge
13/05/2010, 8:10 PM
I'd imagine there must be some sort of UEFA ruling preventing friendlies being played on the same day as league games. Nevertheless, there's obviously a rule in the participation agreement preventing this so Limerick wouldn't have a leg to stand on with regard to an appeal process (same with suing as somebody said :D) so would have to appeal to the goodwill of the FAI...or arrange it for another day.

bluepowers
13/05/2010, 8:13 PM
maybe play it midweek

gael353
13/05/2010, 8:27 PM
http://www.limerickfc.ie/home/home.html

think this rubbishes the "clash" with other airtricity games. i would be quite confident of making salthill, athlone and even sligo after the game.

bluepowers
13/05/2010, 8:36 PM
big loss for limerick fc and limerick city thank you fai

mrtndvn
13/05/2010, 8:46 PM
FAI statement in response to this evening’s statement from Limerick FC

1) As the FAI has already told Limerick FC, their request for authorisation to confirm to FC Barcelona that they would be able to play in Ireland on July 31, was refused because of third party commercial agreements which prevent the Association from doing so.

2) In addition, the FAI has also told Limerick FC that it is in active and ongoing negotiations with FC Barcelona in relation to a visit of Aviva Stadium.

3) Thirdly, the Association told Limerick FC that it was obliged to retain ownership of the July 31 date because of Airtricity League fixtures.

Although the timing of Limerick FC’s proposal means this request cannot be granted, the FAI has already given permission to Limerick FC for a match it applied for involving Sunderland in Thomond Park on July 13.

ENDS

Dodge
13/05/2010, 8:49 PM
Ah so they're embarrased that Limerick got their first

what a bunch of wasters!!!

Cosmo
13/05/2010, 8:54 PM

Thats what it seems to come down to for me too!!

The FAI have been shown up as a right shower of bitter dicks - this is an absolute disgrace.

I'm not sure if ye can go much lower!!

I know the media browse on here a bit - please hammer these fu*kers for this

Riddickcule
13/05/2010, 8:55 PM
Right if this is true thats just it for me.

LETS HAVE PLATINUM ONE

gael353
13/05/2010, 9:12 PM
FAI statement in response to this evening’s statement from Limerick FC

1) As the FAI has already told Limerick FC, their request for authorisation to confirm to FC Barcelona that they would be able to play in Ireland on July 31, was refused because of third party commercial agreements which prevent the Association from doing so.

2) In addition, the FAI has also told Limerick FC that it is in active and ongoing negotiations with FC Barcelona in relation to a visit of Aviva Stadium.

3) Thirdly, the Association told Limerick FC that it was obliged to retain ownership of the July 31 date because of Airtricity League fixtures.

Although the timing of Limerick FC’s proposal means this request cannot be granted, the FAI has already given permission to Limerick FC for a match it applied for involving Sunderland in Thomond Park on July 13.

ENDS

link to this MD???

Jofspring
13/05/2010, 9:15 PM
What the hell does the fixture against Sunderland have to do with this. The match vs Sunderland is Munster XI and the money goes towards the Shane Geoghegan Trust, so to use this as an excuse is a disgrace. Retards is all they are in the FAI.

PartySaint
13/05/2010, 9:18 PM
What the hell does the fixture against Sunderland have to do with this. The match vs Sunderland is Munster XI and the money goes towards the Shane Geoghegan Trust, so to use this as an excuse is a disgrace. Retards is all they are in the FAI.

Your being very harsh on the Mentally handicaped community there

Jofspring
13/05/2010, 9:30 PM
Your being very harsh on the Mentally handicaped community there

Ya i gotta agree. I apologise to them.

What happened to the FAI's big fairplay speech after the France match. Certainly no fairplay here for Limerick FC. This league will go nowhere if they continue to set clubs back like this.

A face
13/05/2010, 9:59 PM
FAI statement in response to this evening’s statement from Limerick FC. 1) As the FAI has already told Limerick FC, their request for authorisation to confirm to FC Barcelona that they would be able to play in Ireland on July 31, was refused because of third party commercial agreements which prevent the Association from doing so.

To be fair, this is a show stopper. If its in a contract then theres just no go. What can they do?

Would be good to get more detail on it though.

If i were them i would have kept that quiet, but i suppose they are just getting it out in the open early.

How do we know they haven't asked the other clubs already. You just dont know.

osarusan
13/05/2010, 10:06 PM
To be fair, this is a show stopper. If its in a contract then theres just no go. What can they do?

Not so much of a showstopper that they don't give two more reasons though.

SkStu
13/05/2010, 10:20 PM
suggestion from Bohs mb - could limerick not set it up as a game for a Limerick XI and do it independently???

Ezeikial
13/05/2010, 10:22 PM

Why would "third party commercial agreements" be a show stopper? What does it mean anyway? Surely Platinum One were a third party to the Shamrock Rovers V Real Madrid match.

The other two reasons given cast even further doubts on the motivations here.

Have the FAI got the slightest idea how idiotic there own press release paints themselves? Irrespective of the reality here the FAI should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute on the basis of the statement alone.

SkStu
13/05/2010, 10:25 PM
Have the FAI got the slightest idea how idiotic there own press release paints themselves? Irrespective of the reality here the FAI should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute on the basis of the statement alone.

indeed they should if it was possible. The clubs arent just competing with the Premier League anymore, theyre competing with the FAI. Sickening to the core.

CuanaD
13/05/2010, 10:32 PM

+1
Terrible decision by the FAIlures

danthesaint
13/05/2010, 10:39 PM
this is sickening, ourselves and bohs have a cup final in two days time, hasnt got much attention in fairness from the FAI

then the whole airtricity XI v Man Ure and now this....... ah they are a disgrace.............

DmanDmythDledge
13/05/2010, 10:55 PM
suggestion from Bohs mb - could limerick not set it up as a game for a Limerick XI and do it independently???
I'm pretty sure that all friendlies have to FAI approved, although could get around it alright. Major stumbling block would be no insurance cover (I think; which is a big reason why they have to be FAI approved) so if somebody got injured I'd imagine the hosts (LFC) could be open to be sued.

bullit
13/05/2010, 11:18 PM
Riddickule,i wont argue on the Platinum1 issue(its been done),im a DFC supporter and the issue(their PLANS) do NOT sit well with me and/or most LOI fans.Plans C,D or E would be welcome though

Buile Shuibhne
14/05/2010, 7:17 AM
On the same date, July 31 the first ever match will be played in the Aviva Stadium, with a combined provinces rugby match between Connacht/ Munster and Ulster/Leinster.

Could that be the 3rd party commercial agreement?

Have the FAI got an agreement with the IRFU not to interfere in any way with their historic opening match in Lansdowne Road?

I'd imagine Barca would steal all the sporting/news headlines that day?

Macy
14/05/2010, 8:27 AM
The FAI are spot on - you can't have meanlingness friendlies against glamour opposition mid season close to league fixtures...

redobit
14/05/2010, 8:42 AM
I'm pretty sure that all friendlies have to FAI approved, although could get around it alright. Major stumbling block would be no insurance cover (I think; which is a big reason why they have to be FAI approved) so if somebody got injured I'd imagine the hosts (LFC) could be open to be sued.

We played a friendly recently but as it wasn't FAI approved it was played behind closed doors. Maybe thats what Limerick and Barca should do! :D

OneRedArmy
14/05/2010, 8:51 AM
The FAI are spot on - you can't have meanlingness friendlies against glamour opposition mid season close to league fixtures............unless all the money goes to them.

Mr A
14/05/2010, 9:02 AM
Irish Times piece on this: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0514/1224270378351.html

Pretty mad that any club would budget for (and be allowed to do so) 100k profit from an unconfirmed friendly at licensing time, as is claimed in the article.

Jofspring
14/05/2010, 9:04 AM
On the same date, July 31 the first ever match will be played in the Aviva Stadium, with a combined provinces rugby match between Connacht/ Munster and Ulster/Leinster.

Could that be the 3rd party commercial agreement?

Have the FAI got an agreement with the IRFU not to interfere in any way with their historic opening match in Lansdowne Road?

I'd imagine Barca would steal all the sporting/news headlines that day?

I think you could be right here. There is no way the IRFU would allow the FAI santion a match that would jepordise the selling of tickets for the Rugby.

A N Mouse
14/05/2010, 9:32 AM
I think you could be right here. There is no way the IRFU would allow the FAI santion a match that would jepordise the selling of tickets for the Rugby.

Who owns Thomond Park?

OneRedArmy
14/05/2010, 10:15 AM
I would imagine the FAI have the clubs over a barrel as presumably the participation agreement gives the FAI veto power over any game, but the reality is that this decision shows the FAI's vision of how football should look in Ireland.

Its effectively franchise football, with any real revenue going centrally and clubs forced to cede control to Abbottstown and in return the clubs get to bring their begging bowl to queue for some more gruel.

The FAI's statement is blatant that Limerick have stepped on their toes and encroached on revenue that they want for themselves. The reference to Platinum One above is apt. What we're seeing is no different.

marinobohs
14/05/2010, 10:23 AM
CONGRATS TO THE FAI ! barely had they time to bask in the "glory" of the man ure fixture announcement (all genuflect) than they were upstaged by, God help us, a LOI club heavily armed with own initative. Quickly identifying the potential disaster that could ensue including
- good PR generated by a LOI club
- badly needed money injection to the game here
- great advertisement for football in the region (and beyond)
- a full Thomond for a game of football (something beyond the ability of the FAI)

Fortunately our esteemed administrators sprung into action (no need for investigation here, boyos, speedy action needed) to ban the proposed game. In their infinite mercy the FAI will not impose sanctions on Limerick for this grave offence (but remember your place in future) and the good people of Limerick (and beyond) are spared the sight of the marquee team of world club football. Truely a great days work, how officialdom of rugby and bogball must look in awe at the wonderous manageement of the FAI.

RE the possible clash with rugger game at Lansdowne (120 miles away !!!!) what remit do the FAI have to "protect" the interest of rugby ? The same one that will lead to the IRFU cancelling the Munster/Leinster match because it would detract from the SETANTA Cup final (roughly same distance apart) ?