PDA

View Full Version : Wes Hoolahan (M Cambridge Utd b.1982)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Seanie
05/09/2003, 9:50 AM
Wes Hoolahan has withdrawn from the U-21 squad so as to be available for Shels game with Derry this evening.

soccercentral.ie
"Pat Fenlon’s Shelbourne face Derry City in the League also on Friday evening, and the Shel’s boss and Irish U21 boss Don Given’s decided that it would be best if Wes went back to his club, as they ‘have a few injuries’."

Oh my God!

Back in June Cork City were FORCED to play Pat's without John O'Flynn who was on international duty.

And now Shels are getting their player made available. The same Shels side who were able to switch an all-important League game to Thursday night a few weeks back to faciliate some half-baked tournament.

I've made my point.

Slash/ED
05/09/2003, 1:28 PM
Wes doesn't get his game and wont play a minute for the U21s, O'Flynn will start and at the time you were without him he was more important to the U21s then Wes is now, so it makes more sense for all three parties (Shels, Givens and Wes) that he stay back in Tolka and get some football in.

But no, it's all one big anti Cork, pro Dublin, Shelbourne biased, Ollie backhander inspired conspiricy. Sure.

jimbob117
15/02/2006, 10:51 PM
Anyone (in particular any contributor who may be based in Scotland and go to SPL games)know how Wes has done since leaving Shels. He was, in my opinion, the best midfielder in the EL for a couple of years, and I couldnt believe he went to Scotland for such a cheap price.
Anyone have any idea??

Stuttgart88
16/02/2006, 7:39 AM
Can't really comment, but there's a long thread on him in the eL section above that you may find interesting.

ColinR
16/02/2006, 9:12 AM
i've only seen him on highlights, and has looked an ok player in a very very poor side. maybe its the players around him, but looks a long way short of international standard so far.

adamcarr
16/02/2006, 1:04 PM
He's suppose to be there only decent player. The reason he left for a small price was because he was in the final year of his contract and refused to sign a new one. Hoolahan is international standard already but not because he joined some small SPL side.

Eirambler
16/02/2006, 8:16 PM
Played for Livi when they lost 7-0 to hibs last week, but still stood out as a quality player, the best Livi player by a long way. I dont understand why he would go from Shels to Livingston of all places - that really is a big step down in quality.

Slash/ED
16/02/2006, 8:44 PM
Seems to get the livi website man of the match most times he plays and is, by all accounts, their best (Only?) player, which comes as no suprise to anyone who watched him play. But the foolishness of his move will really sink home if he doesn't get a move out of there after their relegation, he was far far better off staying at home and waiting for a better offer if he really wanted to leave.

Risteard
16/02/2006, 9:35 PM
he is, by all accounts, their best (Only?) player.
Wow, he must be good so, taking on 11 men like that!! ;)

But the foolishness of his move will really sink home if he doesn't get a move out of there after their relegation, he was far far better off staying at home and waiting for a better offer if he really wanted to leave.
Yes, a week or two later and City were looking for a left winger.

Sorry, just felt i deserved the chance of a few stupid cheeky posts.

Was Lambert not playing for them before he quit?
By the looks of them, standing out there isn't unbelievably impressive, though i do believe he's a class act.
Another problem is he might be more likely to stay there now. They'll be hoping he can help them win promotion.

jimbob117
16/02/2006, 10:33 PM
Can't really comment, but there's a long thread on him in the eL section above that you may find interesting.

Cheers, I'll have a look for that one.

I suppose, its good that hes Livi's best player as surely He will attract attention there when, inevitably, they go down, and will move onto a better club, be it in england,ireland or elsewhere. I mean, surely Shels are better than Livingston.

pete
17/02/2006, 11:51 AM
Maybe Hoolohan knows more than we do about shels. Shels will be homeless soon & with no chance of CL football as CCFC dominate his opportunities in the shop window will be slim in the Inter Toto cup.

Roverstillidie
17/02/2006, 12:05 PM
Maybe Hoolohan knows more than we do about shels. Shels will be homeless soon & with no chance of CL football as CCFC dominate his opportunities in the shop window will be slim in the Inter Toto cup.

:D :D
and we used to call the shels fans bad winners.

how will ca.wk dominate if their best and brightest keep leaving?

wes was on a win win situation. make a few quid, if livi get relegated he a: stays in the scots first on a wedge, b: moves elsewhere in britian or c: comes home with a few quid and good experience.

Dodge
17/02/2006, 12:15 PM
Never really rated Hoolahan. Nowhere near Shels best midfielder never mind the league's. Hope he does well though

Seano
17/02/2006, 1:16 PM
I agree to a certain extent, he's a decent player, but will never be international standard, in fact I think way too overrated, just like Joe Gamble is overrated

kingcolers
17/02/2006, 1:21 PM
how much was he sold for?

adamcarr
17/02/2006, 1:33 PM
I think way too overrated, just like Joe Gamble is overrated

Thanks for making me laugh!

De Town
17/02/2006, 1:47 PM
how much was he sold for?
Think it was something like €140K.

Soper
17/02/2006, 1:56 PM
Jeez there are some idiotic statemnts being dished around on this forum lately! Gamble overrated? bull**it.

Dodge
17/02/2006, 2:11 PM
Depends on where you rate him? If you think he's internatiuonal quality, he's overrated..

Soper
17/02/2006, 6:15 PM
I think he could do a specific job for Ireland. I'm not saying he's technically as good as Miller or other cm's in the squad, *but* I think he could cope well with the specific role he would be assigned if Staunton chose the particular formation (e.g. defensive midfielder - would be better than O'Shea playing there).Also, I tfeel if players are playing regularly, and are used to winning in a relatively healthy competition, then they would be welcome additions to the squad, as opposed to hose who might get the odd worthington cup game, or are not in form.

Plastic Paddy
17/02/2006, 6:21 PM
You are kidding, right? This is the same Joe Gamble who couldn't win a full-time contract at Barnet - then of the Conference - only two seasons ago? And you think he could do a job for Ireland? :eek:

Your name isn't Delaney, is it?!? :rolleyes:

:ball: PP

Soper
17/02/2006, 6:23 PM
If my name was Delaney then I would be on my knes begging some third rate Englishman from a premiership reserve team to find his Irish granny and play for ''Ireland''.

Plastic Paddy
17/02/2006, 6:25 PM
Ahh, but of course any old crock born on the old sod will do, 'cause that's "proper" Irish, like... :rolleyes:

pete
17/02/2006, 6:27 PM
You are kidding, right? This is the same Joe Gamble who couldn't win a full-time contract at Barnet - then of the Conference - only two seasons ago? And you think he could do a job for Ireland? :eek:

Barnet could not afford him as only has him as on loan from Reading. I wouldn't suggest him for the international team but he is similar to Miller (Miller too small for defensive duties) style of play. He camer back to City for European competition. Hes vastly improved & was robbed of eL player of the season last year.

As your name suggests you will not have seen him play so your commenst are invalid. Watching players on tv does not give true reflection of ability.

Anyway this is way off topic.

Soper
17/02/2006, 6:30 PM
Ahh but any old crock who plays in england will do...

Plastic Paddy
17/02/2006, 6:40 PM
As your name suggests you will not have seen him play so your commenst are invalid. Watching players on tv does not give true reflection of ability.

Anyway this is way off topic.

Nice try Pete. I've seen Gamble play a number of times so your presumptions are invalid. So save the patronising tone for someone else; there's a good chap.

As for whether it's off-topic or not; I thought I was the mod on this board... ;)

pete
17/02/2006, 6:43 PM
As for whether it's off-topic or not; I thought I was the mod on this board... ;)

I out rank you though.

Plastic Paddy
17/02/2006, 6:44 PM
Ahh but any old crock who plays in england will do...

I don't buy into that either Soper. I just speak as one who has seen Joe Gamble play on several occasions and he's nowhere near international standard. I don't care where he plays his football.

I out rank you though.

Damn, I knew this mod lark wasn't all it was cracked up to be... :D

De Town
17/02/2006, 11:18 PM
I think he could do a specific job for Ireland. I'm not saying he's technically as good as Miller or other cm's in the squad
He's all round better than Miller.

Dodge
18/02/2006, 2:16 PM
No, he's not. He's not half as good. And I'm the league's biggest fan...

Qwerty
18/02/2006, 10:44 PM
I support Cork City and liked their well organized team and tidy football they played last season. But Gamble is just a slow midget who isn't within an ass's roar of international football...

De Town
19/02/2006, 9:48 AM
I support Cork City and liked their well organized team and tidy football they played last season. But Gamble is just a slow midget who isn't within an ass's roar of international football...
He's a class apart in the eircom League. Wouldn't have him in the Irish team alright.

pete
19/02/2006, 10:54 AM
For what its worth i don't think Miller good enough. Lets face it he couldn't cut it at the top level dispite Man United being desparate for midfielders & a they are a team that would have lots of possession.

The fact he doing well at Leeds shows the difference in standard in the 2 leagues.

kingcolers
20/02/2006, 9:35 AM
Think it was something like €140K.

Another relatively cheap export.

I wonder if he is regretting his decision. It would be interesting to know how much more he's getting paid in the SPL than at Shels.

As for Gamble, I think Doyle proved that we shouldn't write off eL players so easily anymore. Gamble might have failed at Reading for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with his ability. He probably isn't international standard but it would be fadcinating to see him (and other eL players) given a run out in a few friendlies. Glen Crowe didn't look out of place in that friendly v Greece a few years back...

RockofGibraltar
22/04/2007, 11:54 PM
made it into the english league 1 team of the season voted on by fellow players. good to see hes doing well for himelf anyway

sfc red
22/04/2007, 11:59 PM
Absolute hero.

Dave77
23/04/2007, 8:17 AM
Legend

galwayhoop
23/04/2007, 9:48 AM
but still probably too small to make it all the way to the top

of what? ;) :D

Steve Bruce
23/04/2007, 10:07 AM
Have to say out of all the players i have seen in the Setanta cup, he is the one player I was really impressed with.

You can talked about Ndo and Paddy McCourt. Both of them are wee boys(metaphorically) in comparison.

Risteard
23/04/2007, 9:12 PM
He could do with a move.

skitz3
23/04/2007, 9:18 PM
Weso hasn't played in this league in 2 years. Was a new thread in the EL section really necessary? We talk about how good a standard our league is now,so we are we still hung up on some English 2nd division player?

harry crumb
23/04/2007, 9:22 PM
Hes been class act this season.

DmanDmythDledge
23/04/2007, 10:13 PM
He could do with a move.
Agree. Needs to be and should be playing in the Championship at least.

gustavo
24/04/2007, 9:08 AM
This thread should be in the National Team forum

NY Hoop
24/04/2007, 10:39 AM
but still probably too small to make it all the way to the top

Andy Reid did. Size doesnt matter talent does. Juninho, Romario etc. Too good for the likes of blackpool alright.

KOH

OwlsFan
18/05/2007, 7:35 AM
Saw him in the recent play off game against John Sheridan's Oldham. He was heads and shoulders (figuratively speaking) above everyone else on the field and scored a good goal. Class act.

pete
18/05/2007, 9:58 AM
Saw him in the recent play off game against John Sheridan's Oldham. He was heads and shoulders (figuratively speaking) above everyone else on the field and scored a good goal. Class act.

Saw some of that game & showed how p!ss poor League One football is. Hoolahan was playing a different style of football than the rest of them.

neville neville
18/05/2007, 3:03 PM
he's quality alright

used to be worth giving ollie €15 just to see him play. the goal he scored on sunday was magic. almost a shame he's in the playoff final. would have liked to see him play in america

pete
27/05/2007, 4:00 PM
Seen him in the League One playoff for Blackpool today. Had excellent game but more suited to higher standard. Only downside is he is small.

Even if he does not stay at Blackpool will surely play in at least the Championship.

TheOwl
27/05/2007, 4:06 PM
He is ALWAYS a joy to watch - the most naturally talented player I have ever seen in a Shels jersey ahead of Shero and Ndo - so happy to see him do well which I always knew he would. His size doesn't matter, the ball sticks to his feet, he is like Juninho during his first Middlesbrough spell.

Was listening to it on the radio over here and they were raving about him too.

My favourite player in world football :D