PDA

View Full Version : Post Cyprus Match Reaction thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

theworm2345
06/10/2006, 6:58 PM
I think the petition will explain the motives well enough.
It is simply unacceptable the way things are going. His general disregard for everything (just read the petition and tell me if I'm wrong). If we beat Cyprus it will be no thanks to him (he'll be in the stands) and if we beat the Czechs, perhaps we should rethink the petition
http://www.petitiononline.com/99887799/petition.html

theworm2345
06/10/2006, 9:21 PM
forgot the petition link :o

Qwerty
06/10/2006, 10:00 PM
Why don't you wait a week, things could look very different then.

theworm2345
06/10/2006, 11:05 PM
Why don't you wait a week, things could look very different then.
You can wait a week if you like. I hope I will be wrong, but I honestly dont know

Scram
06/10/2006, 11:32 PM
I think the petition will explain the motives well enough.
It is simply unacceptable the way things are going. His general disregard for everything (just read the petition and tell me if I'm wrong). If we beat Cyprus it will be no thanks to him (he'll be in the stands) and if we beat the Czechs, perhaps we should rethink the petition
http://www.petitiononline.com/99887799/petition.html

Couldn't sign something like that, despite agreeing that he should not be in the job, It's Delaney's head that should be on the block and Stan being made number 2 to an experienced man.

OwlsFan
07/10/2006, 8:07 AM
Well, they should start with learning how to spell "conjunction".

Why does everyone get bothered about soundbites? The only thing that matters for me is how we perform on the pitch. I agree that this building for the future is nonsense and it is nonsense to say a point in Cyprus wouldn't be a disaster but I will judge Stan on how the team performs. End of.....

Fingal hoop
07/10/2006, 11:55 AM
give him a chance -he lost to the 3rd best team in the world
he has crap players apart from one or two

Stuttgart88
07/10/2006, 1:31 PM
Well, they should start with learning how to spell "conjunction".

Why does everyone get bothered about soundbites? The only thing that matters for me is how we perform on the pitch. I agree that this building for the future is nonsense and it is nonsense to say a point in Cyprus wouldn't be a disaster but I will judge Stan on how the team performs. End of.....

Well said

John83
07/10/2006, 1:35 PM
Why does everyone get bothered about soundbites?
I don't as a rule, but that was the most pathetic, defeatist soundbite I've ever read. If he actually manages not to beat Cyprus, it ought to be Irish football's answer to, "Peace for our time."

Karlos
07/10/2006, 2:04 PM
I find this type of petition and berating of our current manager really embarrassing. Best fans in the world, my ar$e. :mad:

beautifulrock
07/10/2006, 2:26 PM
I find this type of petition and berating of our current manager really embarrassing. Best fans in the world, my ar$e. :mad:

well said Karlos, this is a joke lads end of story.

theworm2345
07/10/2006, 2:32 PM
I find this type of petition and berating of our current manager really embarrassing. Best fans in the world, my ar$e. :mad:The manager isnt great, but I signed it and Ireland have my whole support. The problem is everything he said has got to have you thinking what will happen, and how it can be stopped before it does. He has pretty much said he doesnt care about Euro 08 and just wants to build for 2010. He wont be there for 2010 if we do too badly. Also, Euro 08 isnt just something to blow off, its the 2nd biggest competition after the World Cup. Ill try to take my signature off I change my mind, but I dont think I will. Again, just because I signed it doesnt mean the team doesnt have my full support--or that I hope they will lose because I want to be right.

skitz3
07/10/2006, 2:33 PM

Firstly,who said we were the best fans in the world?
That in itself is laughable,we're not now,nor were we ever the best fans in the world!

Secondly,i fully support this petition 100%

trevy
07/10/2006, 2:53 PM
You want the manager removed after 1 competetive game,a 1-0 defeat to a team who finished 3rd in the World Cup.:rolleyes: At least wait and see how the next two games go.

theworm2345
07/10/2006, 2:58 PM
Firstly,who said we were the best fans in the world?
Pat Good said it in his song "Bless Them All" (Were the best fans the world has seen/we'll follow big Jack's men in green)

skitz3
07/10/2006, 6:02 PM
Seconded!

joema
07/10/2006, 6:04 PM
I agree aswell

Breifne
07/10/2006, 6:06 PM
Its hard to understand how a team which was capable of competing with some of the worlds best teams (remember brazil, argentina, france) in the last two years can be reduced to this. Its scary that our international management team consists of no one with any real management experience, with the exception of Pat Devlin, which is probably the scariest thing of all.

Dunne has just be sent off, its time for Staunton to go

Red&White Rover
07/10/2006, 6:06 PM
this is beyond a joke...i'm almost in tears.

sonofstan
07/10/2006, 6:09 PM
I'm old enough to remember the period in the late '60s early '70s when we hadn't won a game in 6 years and I don't remember anything as bad as this

Mento
07/10/2006, 6:11 PM
bye bye stan

1 9 2 8
07/10/2006, 6:12 PM
Time to go. Staunton out

gustavo
07/10/2006, 6:15 PM
Unless we beat the Czechs and beat them well I would agree.

dancinpants
07/10/2006, 6:17 PM
We'll get a "battling" draw against the Czechs, and it'll buy Staunton more time....same auld sh!te.:rolleyes:

Fear Manach
07/10/2006, 6:17 PM
Terrible stuff.....lose on Wedneday and its Definitely Czech Mate for Staunton

dancinpants
07/10/2006, 6:18 PM
Unless we beat the Czechs and beat them well I would agree.

That would be nothing more than papering over the cracks.

sligoman
07/10/2006, 6:19 PM
Don't think you'll have much trouble getting signatures after tonights game:mad:

blobbyblob
07/10/2006, 6:21 PM
Id be glad to help

inexile
07/10/2006, 6:22 PM
id never look for a managers head, and definitely not this early into his reign but my god he has to go doesnt he? if he has any pride in himself and the country he should walk and if he doesnt he should be sacked and frogmarched out of his office

Qwerty
07/10/2006, 6:22 PM
Scotland beat France today, don't tell me they have better players than we do. We have had **** poor managers since McCarthy. Stan has to go today, but I don't hold him responsible, the FAI and Delaney in particular are the real offenders. Appointing a man with no experience of management and relying on an OAP to keep him from embarrassing himself wasn't a very smart strategy but maybe a cheap one and one which Delaney felt he could control completely.

Stan has no origianal ideas, all he has done so far is bring back Mick Byrne and some security guy to try an recreate the Jack era - wow f*cking brilliant!! Makes a fool of himself with the media with his 'you tell me' line; that may have worked for Dagleish but that was before Sky sports and 24x7 sports news cycle.

I found the calls for Carsley's call-up comical but Stan again put himself in an unnecessarily awkward position by publicly welcoming his availablity and then not calling him up when injuries struck.

His approach to Aaron Lennon was disgraceful.

Acting the egit on the sidelines when Houghton was being interviewed was a very clear indication of the twit we have as manager.

Condex
07/10/2006, 6:24 PM
I've watched Ireland since 1981 and this must be the worst performance I've ever seen. What a pile of sh1te!!!.

Soper
I agree with ya Sligoman, EL players should be in the next squad.I don't think they would have capitulated liek today's hero's at all.

Adam Soper for Ireland manager.

gustavo
We have had **** poor managers since McCarthy. .

Say what you like about Kerr but i doubt any of his teams would have lost 5-2 to any team in the world never mind Cyprus

dancinpants
Whistle puts us out of our misery

blobbyblob
07/10/2006, 6:25 PM
The torture has ended.

"the cypriots had too much for ireland tonight" - Trevor Welch, TV3

On that note, this thread should be closed and made a sticky to mark the death of Irish football

Donal81
In an internet cafe in NYC, got my times wrong and thought it kicked off at 2.30, not 12.30. Thankfully, I missed the entire thing. I just can't fathom how we can lose 5-2 to Cyprus. I've always said that Stan deserves a full campaign and I stand by that but how a bunch of Irish players can presumably play this poorly against a weak team deserves explanation. That is a disgusting result.

inexile
at least its over now thank god, id love to go out on the beer but i have a match tmw!!!! scandalous

Bluebeard
07/10/2006, 6:26 PM
id never look for a managers head, and definitely not this early into his reign but my god he has to go doesnt he? if he has any pride in himself and the country he should walk and if he doesnt he should be sacked and frogmarched out of his office

I think that it is his back, rather than his head, that most of us would wish to see.

Réiteoir for Ireland Manager! (good record with an Irish team at Workington in FM 2006 - more than the current incumbent)

skitz3
07/10/2006, 6:26 PM
The torture has ended.

"the cypriots had too much for ireland tonight" - Trevor Welch, TV3

On that note, this thread should be closed and made a sticky to mark the death of Irish football

Great point and a great post!

Soko
07/10/2006, 6:27 PM
John Aldrige just nailed it

We've lost all the respect we gained from the past 2 decades

A disgrace

inexile
07/10/2006, 6:29 PM
ronnie whelan isnt sparing his old team mate in fairness to him, 'what are they doin in training'

four year plan my arse

gustavo
07/10/2006, 6:30 PM
Post all comments here

Réiteoir
07/10/2006, 6:30 PM
So where are all the Staunton Apologists that seemed to be shouting from the rooftops on here the past few months?

To quote Delia Smith at Norwich that one night:

"Where are you? Where are you? Let's be having you!"

Soko
07/10/2006, 6:31 PM
I have no doubt that Staunto cares about it

I also have no doubt that he is a clown and is way out of his depth

skitz3
I'm officially throwing my hat into the ring for the national job,i've no managerial experience but that makes no difference!

bitored
Total f**king disgrace. All those players and most of all Stan should hang their heads in shame.

I was one who wanted to give him time before but Stan just has to go. If he had any dignity he would resign. He says we're building for the future - but in order to build for the future we need a manager who knows what he's doing - who can organise players, who can motivate players.

Only a convincing victory by 2 or 3 goals against the Czechs can save him and lets face it that's not going to happen. Slán Stan :mad:

Soper
07/10/2006, 6:32 PM
Never mind him getting the sack, he might end up getting taken away in a sack if he doesn't leave.

If he cares about his country then he should resign now.

Qwerty
Say what you like about Kerr but i doubt any of his teams would have lost 5-2 to any team in the world never mind Cyprus

Kerr's competitive record speaks for itself, while not appalling it marked a clear decline from the standards set by McCarthy and Charlton.

Essentially he was unable to beat Israel, Switzerland, Russia, and France at Lansdowne road. He did not have a single win against a decent team.

I saw a newspaper article recently when Alan Quinn was called up which referred to Ireland's 'famous' win in the Amsterdam Arena, maybe we should just focus on friendles from now on?

sligoman
Can't wait to hear what Staunton's excuse will be...the climate probably:rolleyes:.

Worst performance I've ever seen by Ireland:(

dynamo kerry
07/10/2006, 6:33 PM
I'm a staunton fan - I'm not so sure it is just his fault.. the irish side have been rubbish since moscow in 2004 - paris aside mind you

the players bear a lot of responsibilty too.. these guys play at a level every week.. they didn't even work well on their own.. it's not like they've never met before either.

in short everyone is to blame but we're not that good anyway

I'm certain. no matter who would be in charge we are some years away from qualifying again