PDA

View Full Version : Simon Cox (F Western Sydney Wanderers b.1987)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

elroy
04/01/2010, 5:39 PM
Is this guy worth a look, seems to be a regular for a premiership bound WBA? Scored 7 goals in 14 appearances this season.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/match_reports/championship/635058/COX-REVEALS-REPUBLIC-OF-IRELAND-DREAM.html

SkStu
04/01/2010, 5:39 PM
aye, he looks good alright from what ive seen - he was discussed on another thread in here recently, ill see if i can find it.

here it is: http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?p=1292717&highlight=simon+cox#post1292717

he probably deserves his own thread as im pretty sure that he will be called up if eligible.

rambler14
04/01/2010, 7:34 PM
His name ROCKS!!!!

http://tidedruid.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/thetodd.jpg

Razors left peg
04/01/2010, 7:41 PM
His name ROCKS!!!!

http://tidedruid.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/thetodd.jpg

not as good as this guy .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Fanni :D

Jicked
04/01/2010, 7:59 PM
He certainly talks the talk a lot better than the likes of Morisson and Westwood!
Reading-born Cox said: "If Giovanni Trapattoni or anyone from the FAI gave me a call then the first thing I'd say would be 'yes, I'd be delighted to come on board'.

"When I was at Reading, I regularly told Kevin Doyle and Stephen Hunt about my availability. We didn't go into huge detail about it - because it's not their responsibility to pick the team.

"But they know - and hopefully Mr Trapattoni knows - that if a call is made that I'd give a positive response. I don't want to be cheeky about it and force the issue because ultimately it is the manager's decision.

"It's important to be respectful about a situation like this. I'd be very proud to get the chance - not just for me but also my Nan, who I'm very close to." Cox's timing could not be better because Trap is on the hunt for fresh talent and wants to boost the quality in his squad.

Could be another good option, though we've a host of young strikers all about the same level, Cox should be one to keep an eye on.

leedslad
04/01/2010, 9:30 PM
not just for me but also my Nan, who I'm very close to."

Jaysis, We all remember what happened to the last man who loved his granny to death.:D

Crosby87
04/01/2010, 11:10 PM
From that above post though it does make me wonder out of curiosity if Trap would know him from Adam.

yapster
05/01/2010, 1:22 AM
Sad to see Ireland going down the 'Grannyrule' crap again

drummerboy
05/01/2010, 8:05 AM

Well the guy seems to a tangable link with Ireland. Similar to McCarthy. I'd be delighted to see him selected and I'm sure most genuine Irish supporters would feel the same way.

Razors left peg
05/01/2010, 8:53 AM

We may as well since u seem to think most of our young players are rubbish too

tetsujin1979
05/01/2010, 9:11 AM
so you're complaining that there's slim pickings for players in the FA Cup thread, and then then complain when the FAI try to do something about the player pool?

Irishwolf
05/01/2010, 11:30 AM
He has to get a call up,hes a serious player

Crosby87
05/01/2010, 11:34 AM
so you're complaining that there's slim pickings for players in the FA Cup thread, and then then complain when the FAI try to do something about the player pool?

Have to agree with Tets here. When you play countries with 20 million more people than you have, you do what you can.

paul_oshea
05/01/2010, 12:51 PM
is yapster ciaran or some other such previous member who has been banned or been ignored to the extent of being banned?

yapster
05/01/2010, 1:27 PM
It's such a shame that Ireland can't produce quality players who are born in Ireland. Thats the good thing about the infusion of foreign people into Ireland in the last 15 years or so is that the offspring of these people will bring some badly needed skill & intelligence to Irish football.Look at Paul McGrath with his Nigerian blood that made him the player he was. The Jack Charlton years were a joke and a disgrace to international football with this grannyrule. Owen Coyle & Bernie Slavin & o'Cascarino ffs. The influx of all these people from foreign lands will enhance Irish sport and who knows Ireland may get a decent Heavyweight boxer out of it.

third policeman
05/01/2010, 1:58 PM
Surely the issue here is Cox wants to play for us. It's not a question of begging him. He is the best forward prospect we have on the horizon and should be called up as an option for the next campaign.

johnboyle37
05/01/2010, 2:19 PM
I believe we should be allowed to harness our vast diaspora and once a player is committed and proud, and has genuine links to Ireland should be allowed to represent Ireland.

In fairness to Cox, he has been making noise about playing for Ireland for some time and has made his intentions clear since his time at Reading and has qualified this by saying his relationship with his Granmother prompted him to declare. Thats certainly fair enough in my book.

I would prefer to stay clear of uncommitted last chance merchants who may or may not declare eg Nolan or players who have formerly represented another country at underage level.

So lets see how Cox gets on this year and he continues to display promise and has a good goals return lets give him a chance in the squads for the friendlies in the Spring/Summer.

yapster
05/01/2010, 2:29 PM
The best forward prospect we have is Stokes I think.

Predator
05/01/2010, 3:01 PM
Can't let this go unchallenged.

It's such a shame that Ireland can't produce quality players who are born in Ireland. Yes we can. We have and we will continue to.

Thats the good thing about the infusion of foreign people into Ireland in the last 15 years or so is that the offspring of these people will bring some badly needed skill & intelligence to Irish football.Look at Paul McGrath with his Nigerian blood that made him the player he was.
How have you determined that it was McGrath's Nigerian blood that made him the player he was? According to you, how do you feel Nigerian blood, as opposed to Irish blood, creates a better footballer?

The Jack Charlton years were a joke and a disgrace to international football with this grannyrule. Owen Coyle & Bernie Slavin & o'Cascarino ffs. The influx of all these people from foreign lands will enhance Irish sport...
Is it just me, or does this contradict itself slightly?

...and who knows Ireland may get a decent Heavyweight boxer out of it.
We already have one: Martin Rogan. We've produced plenty decent heavyweight boxers in the past too. In any case, what does it matter? We have some great boxers. It doesn't matter what weight class they are.

On the topic of Simon Cox; I haven't seen him play, but his statistics from recent seasons are impressive. If he's eligible and we can profit from having him play for Ireland, I see absolutely no problem with having him in the team.

SkStu
05/01/2010, 3:27 PM
lads, i gave up arguing with this spoofer last week. Id advise you all to do the same. As someone mentioned previously, he is probably one of those morons that already has been banned from the forum.

Boring.

rambler14
05/01/2010, 3:29 PM
The best forward prospect we have is Stokes I think.

Sweet mother of Jesus! If it is then we are fecked!

yapster
05/01/2010, 3:41 PM
Can't let this go unchallenged.

Yes we can. We have and we will continue to.

How have you determined that it was McGrath's Nigerian blood that made him the player he was? According to you, how do you feel Nigerian blood, as opposed to Irish blood, creates a better footballer?

Is it just me, or does this contradict itself slightly?

We already have one: Martin Rogan. We've produced plenty decent heavyweight boxers in the past too. In any case, what does it matter? We have some great boxers. It doesn't matter what weight class they are.

On the topic of Simon Cox; I haven't seen him play, but his statistics from recent seasons are impressive. If he's eligible and we can profit from having him play for Ireland, I see absolutely no problem with having him in the team.

You are having a laugh with Martin Rogan... How many Irish-born Heavyweight champions have there been? or evn serious contenders? Yes I know Ireland has produced some very good boxers in oyher weights but Heavyweight nothing.

There is no contradiction as the off-spring of the foreign nationals will be Irish born & bred.

Kingdom
05/01/2010, 3:51 PM
Look at Paul McGrath with his Nigerian blood that made him the player he was.

Good one.

yapster
05/01/2010, 3:59 PM
Good one.

His Irish half was all alcohol....;)

Lenny82
05/01/2010, 4:13 PM
Is this Yapster fella Anthony Stokes' half Nigerian cousin?

yapster
05/01/2010, 4:16 PM
Is this Yapster fella Anthony Stokes' half Nigerian cousin?

No, yours...

Predator
05/01/2010, 4:28 PM
You are having a laugh with Martin Rogan... How many Irish-born Heavyweight champions have there been? or evn serious contenders? Yes I know Ireland has produced some very good boxers in oyher weights but Heavyweight nothing.
Like I said, Ireland produces plenty of talented boxers. Martin Rogan is one of those. Why does it matter so much to you that they're Irish-born? A man can be Irish without being born in Ireland.

There is no contradiction as the off-spring of the foreign nationals will be Irish born & bred.
The contradiction is that you are complaining about the use of the 'granny rule', which allows for second generation Irish to play for Ireland (whom you appear to see as 'alien'), while favouring Irish born foreigners.

Would you be in favour of a player who, due to completely accidental circumstances, just happened to be born in Ireland to a Brazilian mother and a German father, playing for Ireland instead of a better player who happened to be born in England, but to two Irish parents, whose surname is something like Ó Murchú?

yapster
05/01/2010, 4:39 PM
Like I said, Ireland produces plenty of talented boxers. Martin Rogan is one of those. Why does it matter so much to you that they're Irish-born? A man can be Irish without being born in Ireland.

The contradiction is that you are complaining about the use of the 'granny rule', which allows for second generation Irish to play for Ireland (whom you appear to see as 'alien'), while favouring Irish born foreigners.

Would you be in favour of a player who, due to completely accidental circumstances, just happened to be born in Ireland to a Brazilian mother and a German father, playing for Ireland instead of a better player who happened to be born in England, but to two Irish parents, whose surname is something like Ó Murchú?

There is no such thing as an Irish born foreigner, if you are born & bred on the Island of Ireland you are Irish regardless of color or creed!!

Yes if people of Irish descent feel they are Irish then they are Irish. I accept that 2nd generation Irish should be entitled to play for their parents country but the granny thing is taking the ****.

Predator
05/01/2010, 4:49 PM
There is no such thing as an Irish born foreigner, if you are born & bred on the Island of Ireland you are Irish regardless of color or creed!!
I used the term 'Irish born foreigner' to illustrate my point. Birthplace is fairly arbitrary in international football.

yapster
05/01/2010, 4:54 PM
Do you think that if Aldridge,Townsend, & co had a choice between Ireland or England who do you think they would want to play for?

Razors left peg
05/01/2010, 5:01 PM
Do you think that if Aldridge,Townsend, & co had a choice between Ireland or England who do you think they would want to play for?

All that matters to me is what they do in a green shirt. Those lads ran through brick walls for Ireland

Predator
05/01/2010, 5:05 PM
They played for Ireland and they played well. I'm happy with that.

Meanwhile, Cox has issued a statement that makes it crystal clear that he would like to play for Ireland - that's even better.

yapster
05/01/2010, 5:10 PM

If you are going by blood when you say a Brazilian mother and German father btw wouldn't that make a great mix for a footballer? opposed to an english-born player with Irish blood and an Irish name then would Johnny Giles,Roy Keane,George Best,S.Hunt,Robbie Keane,Keith Andrews,Denis Irwin & co be english or Scottish because they have english & Scottish names?

Predator
05/01/2010, 5:31 PM
If you are going by blood when you say a Brazilian mother and German father btw wouldn't that make a great mix for a footballer? opposed to an english-born player with Irish blood and an Irish name then would Johnny Giles,Roy Keane,George Best,S.Hunt,Robbie Keane,Keith Andrews,Denis Irwin & co be english or Scottish because they have english & Scottish names?
I think you've missed the point.

yapster
05/01/2010, 5:45 PM
I think you've missed the point.

The point being?

elroy
05/01/2010, 6:01 PM
Interesting the number of new members in Nov 2009, not sure if it was pre or post Henrygate.

Jicked
05/01/2010, 6:02 PM
It's such a shame that Ireland can't produce quality players who are born in Ireland. Thats the good thing about the infusion of foreign people into Ireland in the last 15 years or so is that the offspring of these people will bring some badly needed skill & intelligence to Irish football.Look at Paul McGrath with his Nigerian blood that made him the player he was.

Thats rather fantastic. His Nigerian blood :D Why was Liam Brady so good then? Pretty much anytime you try to make any further such ridiculous point or rubbish jibe at an irish player people really should be reminded that you were the man who thought McGrath's skill was down to his Nigerian blood :o An absolute classic!

yapster
05/01/2010, 6:19 PM
Thats rather fantastic. His Nigerian blood :D Why was Liam Brady so good then? Pretty much anytime you try to make any further such ridiculous point or rubbish jibe at an irish player people really should be reminded that you were the man who thought McGrath's skill was down to his Nigerian blood :o An absolute classic!

Brady was half English....

McGrath had perfect balance,skill & grace on the ball and an in-born ability to read the game. The greatest player to play for Ireland imo. Born in England and had a Nigerian father. Now do you get my drift?

Jicked
05/01/2010, 6:32 PM
No, I don't think anyone does, in fact it really is possibly the most ridiculous thing I've read here. Honestly.

Roy Keane had an in built ability to read the game. No Nigerian blood. Joe O'Cearúill might have had a bit of Nigerian blood in him though.
Talking about a player who has grown up in a certain country, or with a different footballing culture to here is one thing, but I don't see many national teams investing in eugenics just yet.

yapster
05/01/2010, 6:50 PM
So you don't think Paul McGraths African heritage had nothing to do with his skill as a footballer?

Most of the top players in the world have African blood,most Brazilians,Henry & co,Ruud Gullit & co,Sol Campbell & co.

Jicked
05/01/2010, 6:59 PM
So you don't think Paul McGraths African heritage had nothing to do with his skill as a footballer?

Of course it didn't, it's ridiculous to say otherwise.

I'd love to see the 'African' heritage of most of Brazil's squad. Do you mean the fact they're black? Perhaps the Brazilian footballing culture and style has a little more to do with it?
As for players that are of African descent, it might help them be tall which can be an obvious attribute, y'know, unless their heritage is of a rather small African people. Like say Claude Makélélé.

And I'm going to stop now because this is quite possibly the most ridiculous footballing debate I've ever had.

EastTerracer
05/01/2010, 7:10 PM
Brady was half English....

WTF? Where did you get that one from?

Brendan 82
05/01/2010, 7:13 PM
The Nigerian guy in my 6 a side team is feckin brutal, good dude though. The Japanese guy on the other hand is brilliant, but a bit of a jerk. Discuss

leedslad
05/01/2010, 7:17 PM

Yes if people of Irish descent feel they are Irish then they are Irish. I accept that 2nd generation Irish should be entitled to play for their parents country but the granny thing is taking the ****.

As with many of your posts, you contradict yourself here, saying if born and bred in ireland you are irish
If born of irish descent and feel irish, you're irish, but surely these irish descent guys were born and bred in (let's say) england, which by your logic makes them english

yapster
05/01/2010, 7:32 PM
WTF? Where did you get that one from?

His mother is English.

You can't deny the African influence in sports son.

Irish people love to go on about the Irishness of successful people of other countries, Boxers like Ali ffs. The fighting Irish thing and the never say die attitude in foreign sportspeople with Irish heritage or is that ridiculous too?
Is it like some Irish people saying that Man Utd liverpool & Celtic are Irish clubs in essence.That they have the Irish Spirit?

Yes Brady & Best were very specially gifted Irish players no doubt and there are others but all I'm saying is that McGraths African heritage helped him in his game,of course his Irishness helped greatly as well.

Brendan 82
05/01/2010, 7:53 PM
His mother is English.

You can't deny the African influence in sports son.

Irish people love to go on about the Irishness of successful people of other countries, Boxers like Ali ffs. The fighting Irish thing and the never say die attitude in foreign sportspeople with Irish heritage or is that ridiculous too?
Is it like some Irish people saying that Man Utd liverpool & Celtic are Irish clubs in essence.That they have the Irish Spirit?

Yes Brady & Best were very specially gifted Irish players no doubt and there are others but all I'm saying is that McGraths African heritage helped him in his game,of course his Irishness helped greatly as well.

Wow. Just...wow. Scary

yapster
05/01/2010, 8:07 PM
Quick question, if Aldridge & co played for England or Scotland in Houghtons case would that have made them English but since they chose out of desperation to opt for Ireland does that make them Irish or English?

EastTerracer
05/01/2010, 8:18 PM
His mother is English.

I've never heard this before. She had a very definite Dublin accent whenever I heard her interviewed on TV or on video so I'm very surprised to hear she was English. Maybe she moved to Dublin as a child or something.

SkStu
05/01/2010, 8:20 PM
Quick question, if Aldridge & co played for England or Scotland in Houghtons case would that have made them English but since they chose out of desperation to opt for Ireland does that make them Irish or English?

it definitely makes Houghton english and makes Aldridge, according to my heritage calculator, Nepalese.

Interesting.

yapster
05/01/2010, 8:25 PM
it definitely makes Houghton english and makes Aldridge, according to my heritage calculator, Nepalese.

Interesting.

you know what I mean, Scottish or Irish then?