PDA

View Full Version : Liam Miller

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

samhaydenjr
02/02/2010, 10:58 PM
These are the main reasons why Miller is not in the picture: S. Reid, J. McCarthy, K. Andrews, D. Gibson, G. Whelan, D. Meyler and possibly in the future A. Reid and S. Ireland - how many of these can he leapfrog?

Acornvilla
03/02/2010, 9:10 AM
well you can argue that s. ried has no future with the irish team due to his constant injuries.
myler is a winger as is a. ried?

S. Manchester may never play for us again

hes pretty much the same quality as andrews and whelan

and i hope to god mccarthy and gibson turn out to be better players :D

seanfhear
03/02/2010, 9:23 AM
These are the main reasons why Miller is not in the picture: S. Reid, J. McCarthy, K. Andrews, D. Gibson, G. Whelan, D. Meyler and possibly in the future A. Reid and S. Ireland - how many of these can he leapfrog?
Well if you line them all up properly, probably all of them !:)

Football wise if they are injury free probably none of them.

SilkCut
04/02/2010, 7:47 AM
hes pretty much the same quality as andrews and whelan

No he isn't they are consistent, give you pretty much the same in every game.

Acornvilla
04/02/2010, 4:36 PM
they gave very little bar for the france games tbh and i like both of them but anyway andrews and millar will probably start vey few games for us in the future because of age and there are better players (hopefully) coming thru if any of the three have the biggest future its whelan..

anyway they are very similar in quality millar being the most naturally allented and i'm sure if he was given the responsibility and a run in the team he would rise to the occasion.

were never going to know anyway because he never got that chance

SilkCut
09/02/2010, 1:16 AM
they gave very little bar for the france games tbh and i like both of them but anyway andrews and millar will probably start vey few games for us in the future because of age and there are better players (hopefully) coming thru if any of the three have the biggest future its whelan..

anyway they are very similar in quality millar being the most naturally allented and i'm sure if he was given the responsibility and a run in the team he would rise to the occasion.

were never going to know anyway because he never got that chance

I can't understand why you think he has not been given a chance. At club level he has been given countless chances until Keane (his biggest fan) had enough of his poor attitude and listed him. At international level he has over 20 caps and was selected in successive squads despite not even having a club. For me that is plenty of chances.

Acornvilla
09/02/2010, 7:55 AM
ah i mean an extended run in a team hes always in and out i think we may agree to disagree mate and wait to see how he does in the CL or europea league next year :)

SilkCut
09/02/2010, 8:55 PM
i think we may agree to disagree mate

Ha Ha at last we agree on something mate!! Good on ya.

Acornvilla
14/02/2010, 12:50 PM
playing well so far.. stokes could have scored there a second a go.. decent stream here:http://www.p2p4u.net/watch/12432/1/watch-rangers-fc-vs-hibernian.html

zemamma looks like a hel of a player hibs could win this

EDIT: rangers deserved the win in the end to decent footballing sides wasnt a bad game to watch millar did pretty well. stokes didnt do a whole lot messed up his only real chance

Junior
10/11/2010, 7:36 PM
Scored the first tonight at Ibrox for Hibs

tetsujin1979
10/11/2010, 10:52 PM
Scored the first tonight at Ibrox for Hibs
how did the crowd react to it?

Junior
11/11/2010, 8:22 AM
Didnt hear Im afraid but as Rangers ended up losing 0-3, Im sure most of the vitriol was saved for their own players!!!

It was an effort from outside the box but it seemed to take a deflection or spun off the turf awkwardly leaving McGregor flat footed. Nice to see it go in all the same!

ifk101
11/11/2010, 6:45 PM
I'd have him in the squad ahead of Harrying Green.

Junior
11/11/2010, 6:55 PM
Borderline or Marginal as Stutts likes to say. The Non Harrying Miller over the Harrying Green....emmm

geysir
11/11/2010, 7:16 PM
In terms of harrying, Miller rates powder puff.

Charlie Darwin
11/11/2010, 7:24 PM
Miller's probably in the Andy Reid bracket of luxury players. He has incredible passing ability but he just doesn't have that defensive side to his game, so he'd only really fit in a three man midfield.

geysir
11/11/2010, 9:24 PM
I'd differentiate on the luxury tag, between a player who adds luxury to a team and a luxury for a team to have such and such a player.

tetsujin1979
11/11/2010, 9:54 PM
I'd define a luxury player as one who improves the offensive capabilities of a team, but needs extra defensive players around him to get the best out of him.

Ever notice how it's usually midfielder players who are defined as a "luxury", very rarely defenders or strikers. Never goalkeepers.

Charlie Darwin
11/11/2010, 10:15 PM
I'd differentiate on the luxury tag, between a player who adds luxury to a team and a luxury for a team to have such and such a player.
Two sides of the same coin, surely? Maybe I just hate people who can afford nice things, but I've always read a bit of negativity into the word "luxury."

I'd define a luxury player as one who improves the offensive capabilities of a team, but needs extra defensive players around him to get the best out of him.

Ever notice how it's usually midfielder players who are defined as a "luxury", very rarely defenders or strikers. Never goalkeepers.
Not sure about that. A lot of full backs these days could be called luxury players - Glen Johnson springs to mind, and even Ian Harte back in the day. Any Arsenal defender in the last decade. Ronaldo would be the obvious striker but he's never really had a set position. I guess you generally don't see it in goalkeepers because reliability is so valued in that position, though you have your obvious Barthezes and whatnot.

ifk101
12/11/2010, 8:37 AM
We should differentiate between a luxury, a luxury footballer, harrying, a harrying luxury, and a harrying luxury footballer.

A luxury is defined as "something inessential but conducive to pleasure and comfort".
A luxury footballer is "a footballer inessential to the team but conducive to pleasure and comfort for the viewing public".
Harrying is defined as "to disturb or distress by or as if by repeated attacks; harass"
A harrying luxury is "To disturb or distress by or as if by repeated attacks; harass; something inessential but conducive to pleasure and comfort"
A harrying luxury footballer is "To disturb or distress by or as if by repeated attacks; harass; a footballer inessential to the team but conducive to pleasure and comfort for the viewing public".

Perhaps Miller falls under the "luxury footballer" definition.
Harrying Green falls under the "harrying" definition because he isn't a luxury, he certainly isn't a footballer and his continued inclusion in the team is disturbing, distressing and harassing.

geysir
12/11/2010, 10:56 AM
Two sides of the same coin, surely? Maybe I just hate people who can afford nice things, but I've always read a bit of negativity into the word "luxury."
There is a negativity in the luxury tag. While I'd agree with you over Miller's position, I don't think he has the wherewithal to be regarded as a luxury player for us, even playing in front of CM.

SwanVsDalton
12/11/2010, 11:12 AM

Rene Higuita. Always considered Paddy Kenny a bit of a 'luxury' since he looks like a truffle and played like one against Cyprus.

SkStu
12/11/2010, 2:38 PM
i made 7 successful attempts at harrying this week.

tetsujin1979
12/11/2010, 2:51 PM
I had 10 successful attempts at harrying this week detailed in an email.
Unfortunately it went viral and now I'm suspended from work.

ifk101
12/11/2010, 3:20 PM

http://www.thedailydust.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/harry_redknapp-300x300.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZsFQ2SifuyI/Sd10r-B-YuI/AAAAAAAAAHI/4BqX1sdsGag/s400/thumbsUp.jpg

geysir
12/11/2010, 4:00 PM

When it comes to whatever you are attempting, surely 'plague' would be a more appropriate word or possibly if the target was female, then 'molest'? :)

John83
12/11/2010, 4:19 PM
You work at PWC?

tetsujin1979
12/11/2010, 7:55 PM
You work at PWC?
no, that whole thing was just a coincidence.

Junior
15/11/2010, 9:18 AM
Watched the Paris game again in this last week (first time since the fateful night). Interestingly, what many deem to be Andrews finest hour in a green shirt (albeit a white one) was based on a performance largely made up of harrying and great it was to! Surely its not an attribute that we think we no longer need in our midfielders?

I think the labelling of Miller as some sort of 'Luxury' player is bizarre to say the least. He is no more a luxury player, than that tracing paper bog roll you used to get in primary school is a luxury toilet paper.

geysir
15/11/2010, 10:21 AM
You had a toilet in your primary school? and toilet rolls of some description? Luxury indeed.

You never had to attend a national school built in the mid19C, immaculately preserved in its original form.

BonnieShels
15/11/2010, 12:47 PM
Rene Higuita. Always considered Paddy Kenny a bit of a 'luxury' since he looks like a truffle and played like one against Cyprus.

Completely misread that and was wondering why Rene Higuita had a problem with Pat Kenny. And I was even more confused why The Plank was looking like a truffle against Cyprus.

Frazzle.

Junior
15/11/2010, 2:36 PM
You had a toilet in your primary school? and toilet rolls of some description? Luxury indeed.

You never had to attend a national school built in the mid19C, immaculately preserved in its original form.

True. Its all relative I suppose. :-)

BonnieShels
03/06/2011, 11:47 AM
Liam Miller signs for Perth Glory

www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0603/millerl.html

SwanVsDalton
03/06/2011, 11:52 AM

www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0603/millerl.html

Funny, I saw this today. And usually when an Irish player moves, I'm straight in here to see what everyone's saying. But it simply didn't cross my mind to bother with it at all. I think I'd actually forgotten he's Irish or played for us. Shame - hope he enjoys the beach.

Sullivinho
03/06/2011, 11:58 AM

www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0603/millerl.html (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0603/millerl.html)

I thought this guy had the football world at his feet when he was starring in the Champions League for Celtic and Man Utd. were sniffing around.

Expectations: a cautionary tale.

DannyInvincible
03/06/2011, 12:02 PM
This is a name I didn't expect to pop up at the top of the Ireland forum on the eve of a Euro 2012 qualifier.

AlaskaFox
03/06/2011, 12:16 PM
This is a name I didn't expect to pop up at the top of the Ireland forum on the eve of a Euro 2012 qualifier.

He played in our final WC2010 Group game though...

DannyInvincible
03/06/2011, 1:13 PM
Ah, it was more a tongue-in-cheek reference to his demise from terrific prospect to relative obscurity on the other side of the globe.

AlaskaFox
03/06/2011, 1:55 PM
Ah, it was more a tongue-in-cheek reference to his demise from terrific prospect to relative obscurity on the other side of the globe.

I know, but if Caleb Folan can get a call-up, why can't Liam? :D

Yard of Pace
03/06/2011, 2:19 PM
Perth have a lad by the name of Neil Young in their ranks. However, it's not a case of it being better to burn out than to fade away for our Liam. Still only 30 too, he's had an interesting career.

IsMiseSean
03/06/2011, 3:08 PM
Moved to MU to early in his career...
Hope it works out for him

tetsujin1979
03/06/2011, 3:10 PM
I know, but if Caleb Folan can get a call-up, why can't Liam? :D
Because Folan is fulfilling a role in the squad - backup to Doyle along with Walters, and Best. Miller is behind Fahey, Andrews, Gibson, McCarthy, possibly Lawrence and Rowlands in the queue for central midfield

ArdeeBhoy
03/06/2011, 4:07 PM
Moved to MU to early in his career...
Hope it works out for him

Aye, The Rat'. Celtic fans said it then and ever since....

What a waste. Feck him.

tommy_c12000
03/06/2011, 5:58 PM
Going down under for lifestyle rather than furthering his footballing career who could blame him. Good luck to him!

BonnieShels
03/06/2011, 6:54 PM
Going down under for lifestyle rather than furthering his footballing career who could blame him. Good luck to him!

Perth's a grand spot though. It's no Melbourne but at least he has the opportunity of heading up to the pinnacles and the lancelin inn.

Stuttgart88
03/06/2011, 6:57 PM
My brother lived there for 8 years and loved it. Apparently it's a great spot. Great climate and outdoor lifestyle. Assuming he's on an OK package it's an easy move for him.

theworm2345
03/06/2011, 7:16 PM
Its all been downhill for him since he ****ed Roy off after turning up late for training.

geysir
03/06/2011, 8:57 PM
You mean as he's going down under.

Bottle of Tonic
03/06/2011, 9:32 PM
Celtic effed up by not offering him a contract early enough. Allowed him a tantilising glimpse of the glorious EPL delights which he jumped at. Celtic fans rightly interpreted his move as foolish and disrespectful(stood by him during injuries, propelled him into 1st team) and when oul sir awex lost the league there was no way Miller, a january pre-contract signing, would be walking into MU's centre field come the summer. Career killed stone dead before it began. A few years in the hoops and it all could have been so different. Shame for the lad, he had champions league glory at Celtic, a support who took him to their hearts, subsequently shat on them, and now he's the walking definition of a let-down journeyman pro.

AlaskaFox
04/07/2011, 9:31 AM
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/sport/9780805/new-signings-set-for-glory-celtic-boss/

Celtic manager Neil Lennon has lauded Perth Glory’s signing of former Hoops midfielder Liam Miller, claiming the Republic of Ireland international will have a big impact on the A-League this season.
Lennon played alongside the new Glory signing at Celtic seven years ago and has also witnessed the 30-year-old midfielder’s recent form for Hibernian in the Scottish Premier League.
“I’ve known Liam a long time and he had couple of seasons at Hibs where he played very, very well,” Lennon said.
“It’s a good signing for Perth and one thing Liam will do is make Perth a better team. He’s a very good player - technically very good and clever. He makes some really good runs.
“When he first burst on to the scene at Celtic he had a meteoric rise and he went off to Manchester United and his career probably didn’t pan out the way people thought it would’ve done but he’s still got a lot of quality.
“He’ll be a good signing and it’s a bit of a coup for Perth to get him.”