PDA

View Full Version : Europa League 2009

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

TheFingallian
13/05/2009, 5:27 PM
Id take anybody from estonia upwards forget the rest of them

I wouldn't rule out Montenegro. They seem to be setting themselves up as a summer tourist destination.

A N Mouse
13/05/2009, 5:46 PM
I wouldn't rule out Montenegro. They seem to be setting themselves up as a summer tourist destination.

Aye, no doubt, would be a nice place to go.

But, as has been pointed out elsewhere, their co-efficient is not necessarily a true reflection of the standard their top teams are playing at. Its a recently formed league, teams previously competed in Serbian (and Montenegran?) league.

OneRedArmy
14/05/2009, 9:31 AM
Montenegro is lovely. But been there already in the last 12 months!

Unfortunately none of the coastal teams have qualified, but an easy enough journey in from the riviera to Niksic or Podgorica.

Main problem for any of the southern European places will be flight prices. Savagely expensive at a week's notice.

A N Mouse
15/05/2009, 4:53 PM
What are the chances of any of our teams home games being broadcast?

My understanding is that, unlike in previous years, tv rights are centrally distributed, qualifying rounds and all, and the Irish rights were awarded to tv3 and Setanta.

http://www.uefa.com/multimediafiles/download/competitions/uefacup_/67/58/75/675875_download.pdf

CuanaD
15/05/2009, 5:07 PM
qualifying rounds and all,[/url] - that's the bit that needs to be clarified - I think in previous years the centralisation started at either the group stages or 'round one proper' & didn't include the 'qualification' rounds. Where does it say (explicitly) that that has now changed?

Would be great to have all LOI Europa games shown live - especially if any of our teams could be shown winning comfortabally against 'lesser' opposition.

Steve Bruce
15/05/2009, 5:21 PM
The best I could hope for is Sligo or the Scottish team. Not nesserily to get through a round, just these are the most accessible in such a short space of time.

Although I would expect Linfield to beat Sligo over 2 legs. But you never can tell.

A N Mouse
15/05/2009, 9:34 PM
- that's the bit that needs to be clarified - I think in previous years the centralisation started at either the group stages or 'round one proper' & didn't include the 'qualification' rounds. Where does it say (explicitly) that that has now changed?

Would be great to have all LOI Europa games shown live - especially if any of our teams could be shown winning comfortabally against 'lesser' opposition.

My bad
Knew they kept on about greater centralisation of media rights as a benefit, just got confused.

Confirmed starts from group stages

There will be full centralisation of media rights from the UEFA Europa League group stage, involving non-exclusive presenting sponsor plus a centralised match ball for the group stage and full sponsorship centralisation (as for the UEFA Champions League) from the Round of 32 onwards.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/news/kind=2097152/newsid=788365.html

damn,we'll force them to show an irish team yet. :)

MariborKev
23/05/2009, 10:05 AM
"The Europa League cup-holder spot will not be used because Shakhtar Donetsk already qualified for the Champions League. It is assumed that with the new format UEFA will make similar changes as with the old format (with priority to cup winners). This may be implemented such that the 4th qualifying round is extended with an extra match. This is accomplised when the cup winners of the 16th and 17th countries on the ranking list (Switzerland and Bulgaria) have direct access to the 4th qualifying round, the cup winners of the 28th and 29th countries on the ranking list (Cyprus and Slovenia) have direct access to the 3rd qualifying round, and the runners-up of the 35th and 36th countries on the ranking list (Ireland and Macedonia) and the cup winners of Andorra and San Marino have direct access to the 2nd qualifying round of the Europa League.

However, the details of not using the title holder spots in the access list are not written in the regulations. And because this is the first year with the new format there is some uncertainty about the method UEFA will use to fill the empty title holder spots. This is especially the case with the Europa League cup-holder spot. UEFA might decide to give one team of the 4th qualifying round (playoff round) direct access to the group stage. In that case the cup winners of Bulgaria and Slovenia and the runners-up of Ireland and Macedonia would not be promoted to the next qualifying round. "

Update from Bert's site......

Might see Derry in the second round.

holidaysong
24/05/2009, 4:30 PM
Update from Bert's site......

Might see Derry in the second round.

Bert is usually spot on with this stuff so good news for Derry there, especially as they will be seeded in EL QR2.

HarpoJoyce
24/05/2009, 6:14 PM
According to this (http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seedel2009.html) page, Derry and Sligo will be seeding in QR1 and St. Pat's will be seeded in QR2. Also, if they get through the first round Derry will be seeded in QR2 but Sligo might not.

And according to this (http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seedcl2009.html) page Bohemians won't be seeded in QR2 of the CL (although it's effectively the same round as last year's QR1).

Bert is usually spot on with this stuff so good news for Derry there, especially as they will be seeded in EL QR2.

Sorry holiday, dont mean for you to have to defend any website or anything.
But you're presenting two different situations on the same thread and then desribe the website as 'spot on'.
If 'the bertmeister' has to wait in line for the information from UEFA along with everyone else, that's fine. UEFA is the source.
Let's not pretend anyone else has special powers.

holidaysong
24/05/2009, 6:54 PM
Sorry holiday, dont mean for you to have to defend any website or anything.
But you're presenting two different situations on the same thread and then desribe the website as 'spot on'.
If 'the bertmeister' has to wait in line for the information from UEFA along with everyone else, that's fine. UEFA is the source.
Let's not pretend anyone else has special powers.

That first post that you quoted from me is almost a month old this stage. In the time since then we've found out that the title holder spot for the Europa League won't be needed as Shakhtar Donetsk have qualified for the CL through their league place. Surely you can accept that the information on that particular website can be updated accordingly?

Rory H
25/05/2009, 11:57 AM
It's been mentioned that with the draw on 22 June that it doesn't leave much time for booking flights etc with a game on July 2 or 9. But the second round draw will probably be on the 10th so that may only leave six days again to book travel for Pat's and Derry (and maybe us).

Rovers Maniac
25/05/2009, 12:02 PM
It's been mentioned that with the draw on 22 June that it doesn't leave much time for booking flights etc with a game on July 2 or 9. But the second round draw will probably be on the 10th so that may only leave six days again to book travel for Pat's and Derry (and maybe us).

What's this maybe rubbish ? :p

MariborKev
25/05/2009, 12:05 PM

Welcome to the perils to European football......

Dodge
25/05/2009, 12:21 PM
It could be even worse if you're away for the 2nd leg of the first round, and then away for the first leg of the 2nd round (and that reads like a riddle, which it isn't...)

You might be travelling home when the draw is made and lose out on any potential cheap flights

We were kinda lucky lat year that all 3 away legs were first, and all 3 could be easily reached by ryanair/aer lingus

DaveyCakes
25/05/2009, 1:38 PM
The first and second rounds are both drawn on June 22nd

dcfcsteve
25/05/2009, 1:41 PM
It could be even worse if you're away for the 2nd leg of the first round, and then away for the first leg of the 2nd round (and that reads like a riddle, which it isn't...)

You might be travelling home when the draw is made and lose out on any potential cheap flights

We were kinda lucky lat year that all 3 away legs were first, and all 3 could be easily reached by ryanair/aer lingus

It is daft - almost as if UEFA didn't want fans to travel, or didn;t care if they couldn't.

I would hope that the various fan bodies in Europe at least, if not the FA's themselves. will make representations to UEFA about this. Only problem is -the countries with the best established fan groups tend not to be the ones who are in the earlier rounds (e.g. England, Germany).

EAFC_rdfl
25/05/2009, 2:02 PM
The first and second rounds are both drawn on June 22nd
Im hoping one of the irish sides get drawn the mighty FC Lahti from Finland, since I'm based here for the summer!!

Rovers fan
25/05/2009, 2:32 PM
Im hoping one of the irish sides get drawn the mighty FC Lahti from Finland, since I'm based here for the summer!!

Nice one,free accomadation;)

sligoman
26/05/2009, 5:35 PM
Rovers announce ticket details for Europa League game (http://www.sligorovers.com/content/view/763/1/).

Battery Rover
26/05/2009, 6:25 PM
Rovers announce ticket details for Europa League game (http://www.sligorovers.com/content/view/763/1/).

Can you post the article here. The site sets of all the alarms on my virus scanner

sligoman
26/05/2009, 6:27 PM
Can you post the article here. The site sets of all the alarms on my virus scannerSligo Rovers has announced that match tickets for their Europa League game in July will go on sale this week, but warned that there may not be enough tickets to meet the demand.

Limited ground capacity to increase demand for tickets

UEFA criteria for hosting the game in the Showgrounds do not permit standing spectators in the ground, which means that capacity is limited to the two stands. According to Sligo Rovers Chairman Dermot Kelly ‘The reality is that the attendance for the Europa League game is restricted to 2,700, and we are left with the responsibility of issuing the tickets in as fair and equitable manner as possible.’

Accordingly the Management Committee has decided to release the tickets for sale on a phased basis; The first series of tickets will shortly be offered for sale to shareholders, season ticket holders, 400 club members and Johnny Chadda Fund Members.

The Chairman confirmed that the balance of the tickets will then be placed on sale to other supporters at the Derry City game on Friday 5th June. In the unlikely event of tickets being available after this date, they will be placed in the usual outlets around the town and county.

‘Given that the draw is on June 22nd in Geneva, and our games will be played on July 2nd and 9th, the limited time to make travel arrangements will impose a serious financial burden on the club. However we believe every supporter should have a chance of seeing Sligo Rovers play in Europe, and especially in the current economic climate, we decided it was only fair to our supporters to set a charge for the European game as close as possible to the regular admission price. It has been some time since European football graced the Showgrounds. Everyone wants to be there on what will be a special night for Sligo Rovers, but unfortunately we have to stay within the assigned capacity.’

PRICES

Adult tickets will be €20

Students/OAP/Unwaged €15 (On presentation of ID at turnstile)

Children under 12 €5 (Must be accompanied by an adult)

For further information, contact the Showgrounds Office between 10.00am and 2.00pm at 071 9171212, or phone Frank Beirne at 086 1657515

Special jersey promotion

Jako Sports in association with Sligo Rovers are offering a very special deal to coincide with the Club’s return to European Football. Anyone presenting their Europa League Match ticket at Jako Sports will receive a 10% reduction off the price of a Rovers jersey.

HarpoJoyce
26/05/2009, 8:38 PM
While it may be better to do the counting when the dealing's done, certainly counting after the end of the season suits the measurement of the UEFA club co-efficient.
There is an anticipated benefit to some clubs in the CL due to the Final match tomorrow.
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/news/kind=1/newsid=832313.html
"...Competition regulations
According to the competition regulations, the UEFA Champions League winners are entitled to a group-stage berth regardless of whether they qualify for the competition via their domestic league, but since Rome finalists Manchester United FC and FC Barcelona are already sure of their place as English and Spanish champions respectively, a vacancy has opened up. This gap will be filled by the Belgian champions, and will also benefit the titleholders in Switzerland, the Faroe Islands and Luxembourg.

Knock-on effect
UEFA said: "The domestic champion of the association ranked 13th in the coefficient ranking table (Belgium) will enter the competition directly in the group stage instead of the third qualifying round. The vacancy this creates in the third qualifying round will benefit the domestic champion of the association ranked 16th in the coefficient ranking table (Switzerland), who will enter the competition in the third qualifying round instead of the second. Finally, the vacancy left by Switzerland in the second qualifying round will benefit the domestic champions of the Faroe Islands and Luxembourg (positions 48 and 49 in the coefficient ranking table), who will enter the competition in the second qualifying round instead of the first."

'Knock-on effect' is a good neutral term.

holidaysong
27/05/2009, 12:22 PM
Although it hasn't yet been confirmed for the Europa League, it is this 'knock-on effect' which should see Derry City into EL QR2.

Dodge
27/05/2009, 12:25 PM
Yeah I spotted that on bert's site earlier.

HarpoJoyce
27/05/2009, 2:53 PM
With IRL being positioned at #35 on the Country ranking, any room made above them should put IRL into #34 and benefit the next LoI club in line. This is anticipated by kassies, but he also gives one argument why it may not happen that way.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seedel2009.html
"...However, the details of not using the title holder spots in the access list are not written in the regulations (the only rule is that priority is given to champions and cup winners). And because this is the first year with the new Europa League format there is some uncertainty about the method UEFA will use to fill the empty title holder spot in the Europa League. UEFA might decide to give one team of the 4th qualifying round (playoff round) direct access to the group stage. In that case the cup winners of Bulgaria and Slovenia and the runners-up of Ireland and Macedonia would not be promoted to the next qualifying round. "

(Shoot me now, I just quoted a Bert Kassies page. I can never hold my head up in competent statistical company again.)

At least the anticipation of a LoI club benefitting (because of the #35 ranking) was already anticipated by foot.ie posters on this thread. It would nice if an Irish club can gain from it. Same effort, big reward.

OneRedArmy
27/05/2009, 9:12 PM
I really don't see that's there's much of a benefit other than saving the club money on travel costs from not playing QR1.

The reality is that Derry and Sligo could be financially ruined (edit: more financially ruined than currently) by the "wrong" draw.

Drawing a Kazakh, Azeri or similar side will cost the guts of €100k. Airlines and hotels don't do credit either!

On the pitch, there are some tricky as hell fixtures from unseeded sides whose low coefficient is more reflective of the youth of the nation rather than the quality of football.

I can't see much improvement to our national coefficient this year and a huge potential downside in coming years.

sligoman
27/05/2009, 9:29 PM
Out of interest, does the draw be live online or do we have to wait til the news slowly filters out?

OneRedArmy
27/05/2009, 9:32 PM
Out of interest, does the draw be live online or do we have to wait til the news slowly filters out?Live online in previous years.

Then the clubs have a couple of hours to agree between themselves if they want to reverse the draw, kick off times etc.

Dodge
27/05/2009, 10:36 PM
ORA in terms of coefficients, there's been an important change this year which see points based on the round teams exit, so effectively Pats and Derry are already earning points

MariborKev
27/05/2009, 11:02 PM
ORA in terms of coefficients, there's been an important change this year which see points based on the round teams exit, so effectively Pats and Derry are already earning points

Which dependent on the draw could be the only points we'll earn.......

Dodge
27/05/2009, 11:05 PM
Aye, but that'd be the case even if you were in the first qualifying round

OneRedArmy
27/05/2009, 11:05 PM
ORA in terms of coefficients, there's been an important change this year which see points based on the round teams exit, so effectively Pats and Derry are already earning pointsSorry Dodge, I wasn't particularly clear. Even accounting for that change, I'm just pessimistic about getting through QR2, even when we're seeded.

Is the country ranking still on a 5 year rolling average? 04/05 wasn't a great year iirc so we might not loose too much ground this year.

dcfcsteve
28/05/2009, 11:12 AM
I really don't see that's there's much of a benefit other than saving the club money on travel costs from not playing QR1.

The reality is that Derry and Sligo could be financially ruined (edit: more financially ruined than currently) by the "wrong" draw.

Drawing a Kazakh, Azeri or similar side will cost the guts of €100k. Airlines and hotels don't do credit either!

The one hope - and it is rather unscientific - is that the more 'out of the way' locations are likely in the main to be among the weaker teams in the draw. Not all of them obviously (e.g. Ukraine), but the CIS states for example.

Therefore - we can but hope that a few of the more bank-busting opponents get put out in QR1, which would therefore be of some benefit to teams skipping a round.

Plus, you and your league pick-up the co-efficient points without havign to kick a ball in anger.

I can't see much improvement to our national coefficient this year and a huge potential downside in coming years.

The quality of players in our league has visibly dropped over the last 2-3 years, so I agree that we're due a reversal in European fortunes in the near future :(

thischarmingman
29/05/2009, 8:56 AM
Good work guys, confirmed on DCFC website today:

Derry City have received a "by" for the first round of the Europa League, City now go

straight into the second round knockout stage as a seeded team. The draw will take place on the 22nd June, with the ties to be played on the 16th and 23rd of July.

http://www.derrycityfc.net/cityweb/

crc
29/05/2009, 9:17 AM
Out of interest, does the draw be live online or do we have to wait til the news slowly filters out?
Live online, and normally EuroSport show the draws on TV if you have access to it.

sligoman
29/05/2009, 10:10 AM
In plain English, why have Derry received a by into the 2nd round? Is it because of their co-efficient or the leagues?

Flexy
29/05/2009, 10:12 AM
In plain English, why have Derry received a by into the 2nd round? Is it because of their co-efficient or the leagues?
Its a combination of both

Dodge
29/05/2009, 11:32 AM
Its a combination of both

Its not.

All countries in the qualifiers move up a spot because the holder spot isn't been used.

Ireland were the highest ranked country to have only one team enter at second qualifying round. Now we're the lowest ranked country with 2 teams entering at the second round.

Derry are seeded in that round, on the basis of their own individual performance.

refjohn
29/05/2009, 12:35 PM
To put it simply, If Sligo had finished the league season above Derry then they would have moved up a round - but they would not have been seeded because of limited prior European games (not sure if they have any co-efficient points of their own at the minute). Derry get seeded because of their Gothenburg, Gretna, Paris run.

Shelsman
29/05/2009, 1:02 PM
Irish teams are usually in the 'Northern Group' when it comes to the UEFA Cup / Europa League, so our teams would normally be drawn against Nordic / Baltic states -is this no longer the case?

I'd actually sooner see our sides seeded in the first round so that we could actually win some ties (as well as pick up valuable experience)!

Dodge
29/05/2009, 1:10 PM
To put it simply, If Sligo had finished the league season above Derry then they would have moved up a round - but they would not have been seeded because of limited prior European games (not sure if they have any co-efficient points of their own at the minute). Derry get seeded because of their Gothenburg, Gretna, Paris run.

Derry got seeded because of the draw with PSG, Pats got a point because of the draw with Hertha

Up to now, qualification rounds didn't count for clubs ranking

Candystripe
29/05/2009, 1:25 PM
Derry got seeded because of the draw with PSG, Pats got a point because of the draw with Hertha

AFAIK Derry got 3 points for winning there 1st 3 games (IFK twice and Gretna once) a half point for drawing 2nd leg with Gretna and in the 1st round proper one full point for the draw with PSG.

holidaysong
29/05/2009, 2:10 PM
AFAIK Derry got 3 points for winning there 1st 3 games (IFK twice and Gretna once) a half point for drawing 2nd leg with Gretna and in the 1st round proper one full point for the draw with PSG.

Those earlier points counted for the national co-efficient only. The point against PSG was the only one to go towards the club co-efficient and is therefore the one which will see them seeded this year.

Dodge
29/05/2009, 2:16 PM
The only one that counted towards your club ranking was the draw with PSG.

The rest counted towards the country score alright but the only ranking point Derry earned for themselves is the one v PSG.

Look at the stats here. (http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method4/trank2009.html) Only 3 Irish clubs have an individual ranking. Derry, Pats and Shels and we're the only 3 to play in the UEFA Cup first round in the last 5 years. Shels got nothing for their games with Split or Glentoran, but a draw at home to Nantes got them that point

refjohn
29/05/2009, 3:00 PM

Fair enough - I only mentioned the run as I couldnt remember where and how the pts were allocated:p

SkStu
29/05/2009, 3:05 PM
its fairly confusing stuff all the same...

Candystripe
29/05/2009, 4:38 PM
It is confusing,so the points won by Derry,Pats and Shels are shared / by however many clubs in that particular competition.

Does the point earned by all three of us in the 1st round proper also go towards the national co-efficent?

Jeez I could get into this,sounds like great craic ;)

Dodge
29/05/2009, 4:45 PM
Up until this year the country co-efficient was the total points won, divided by how many teams enetered Europe. so last year it was the points earned by Drogheda, pats and Cork, divided by 3. Any individual points earned (not from qualifiers) could then be added to this to give a club ranking. At the moment the LOI co-eff is 1.889 while Pats, Derry and Shels are 2.899

No point learning it now, its all changing an points will be based on what round you exit... :D

holidaysong
29/05/2009, 5:17 PM
No point learning it now, its all changing an points will be based on what round you exit... :D

That is just for the club co-efficient in the qualification rounds though. The national co-efficient will still be based on results, even in the qualifying rounds, while the club co-efficients from the group stage onwards will also be based on results.

See Annex II of this document: http://www.uefa.com/multimediafiles/download/regulations/uefa/others/82/68/51/826851_download.pdf