PDA

View Full Version : Shane Duffy D Norwich b.1992

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Sullivinho
26/11/2010, 3:09 AM
The next big thing at Everton: Shane Duffy (http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/47350/The_next_big_thing_at_Everton_Shane_Duffy.aspx)

Alongside Germany U17 international Shkodran Mustafi, Duffy formed a centre-back partnership last season that kept an astonishing thirteen consecutive clean sheets, while he is also a key goal threat from set pieces and a taker of both free-kicks and penalties. Where the excitement lies is that Everton’s youth setup seems to centre-around him in a manner not a million miles away from how it used to around first Wayne Rooney and Jack Rodwell.That's fairly impressive at any level. I didn't know he was a free kick taker. Alex (Chelsea) style I presume but maybe I'm selling the towering CB short :)

ifk101
26/11/2010, 7:38 AM
Quite an amazing recovery he's made from that injury. Sounds like he could be an option for the national side sooner rather than later.

Kingdom
26/11/2010, 9:25 AM
He was top scorer at the U19 World Championships: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Pacheco#International_career

Yeah, I wasn't trying to run Duffy down or anything just saw the goal on a Liverpool forum and said I'd throw it up here.
No shame there btw, Pacheco is a fantastic player and will be a star in the years to come.

Duffy seems to have that air of confidence/self-belief about him, that he's going to make it. I like plenty of what I've heard from him.

tetsujin1979
26/11/2010, 9:49 AM
Yeah, I wasn't trying to run Duffy down or anything just saw the goal on a Liverpool forum and said I'd throw it up here.
No shame there btw, Pacheco is a fantastic player and will be a star in the years to come.

Duffy seems to have that air of confidence/self-belief about him, that he's going to make it. I like plenty of what I've heard from him.
me either, just pointing out that Pacheco is a talent, and is a star of the game in the making

tommy_c12000
26/11/2010, 1:28 PM
Loan deal to Barnsley off. That's disappointing.

http://www.derryjournal.com/derry/Shane-39gutted39-as-Barnsley-move.6641103.jp

Predator
26/11/2010, 2:04 PM
"It's believed Barnsley's owner, Mr. Patrick Cyrne, who had concerns about the deal, was responsible for halting the move."

You have to wonder what it might have been and why the owner would disregard the opinion of Mark Robbins and his coaching and scouting staff. Not that it's the end of the world, but Duffy is right to be annoyed.

tommy_c12000
26/11/2010, 2:11 PM
"It's believed Barnsley's owner, Mr. Patrick Cyrne, who had concerns about the deal, was responsible for halting the move."

You have to wonder what it might have been and why the owner would disregard the opinion of Mark Robbins and his coaching and scouting staff. Not that it's the end of the world, but Duffy is right to be annoyed.

Perhaps he saw the clip of Pacheco turning him inside out

Predator
27/11/2010, 12:37 PM
Ha, perhaps. I suppose the owner wants a more experienced player, but you'd think he'd trust the manager's opinion.

According to the Mirror, Leeds are looking likely to sign him on loan in January. That could be a great move. Leeds are currently 5th in the Championship.

TrapAPony
30/11/2010, 1:41 PM
Someone posted this on a GAA board today re Shane Ferguson.

''This guy is a left back tipped for big things at Newcastle United. Currently involved with Norn Iron but i was working up north recently and a member of his family was telling me he'd much rather play for the Republic but has had no contact from the FAI. Does anyone on here have any contact with the FAI to notify them of this player. The Republic could do with all the left back's they can get ....''

FAI get to work.

ifk101
30/11/2010, 2:07 PM
If he wants to play for us he needs to contact the FAI himself and make them aware of his availability.

tommy_c12000
30/11/2010, 2:51 PM
He has already been capped once by the Northern Ireland senior team in the friendly against Italy on 6/6/09. So he's still eligible to play for us. Would be great to get the goy on board. The more the merrier!! Personally, I think the FAI should be doing everthing they can to recruit players and not adopt the laissez-faire attitude of "if they really want to play for us then it's up to them to get in contact with us." What's the harm in a simple phone call to sound the player out?

http://www.irishfa.com/news/item/4932/italy-3-0-northern-ireland

ifk101
30/11/2010, 3:12 PM
I think the FAI should be doing everthing they can to recruit players and not adopt the laissez-faire attitude of "if they really want to play for us then it's up to them to get in contact with us." What's the harm in a simple phone call to sound the player out?

Because there is an arrangement between the FAI and the IFA regarding this. The arrangement is that NI born players need to make the initial approach to the FAI if they want to play for us.

But given events that have happened in the recent past, nobody can really blame the FAI if they chose to "dishonour" that arrangement.

tommy_c12000
30/11/2010, 3:32 PM
Because there is an arrangement between the FAI and the IFA regarding this. The arrangement is that NI born players need to make the initial approach to the FAI if they want to play for us.

But given events that have happened in the recent past, nobody can really blame the FAI if they chose to "dishonour" that arrangement.

Oh right wasn't aware of that. Kind of like a "gentleman's agreement" is it?? Sounds like a grey area if there ever was one.

ifk101
30/11/2010, 3:46 PM
Oh right wasn't aware of that. Kind of like a "gentleman's agreement" is it?? Sounds like a grey area if there ever was one.

It came about in the late 90's. The IFA were taking exception to Brian Kerr's recruitment practices for our underage sides at the time. The arrangement was a gesture of neighbourly goodwill from the FAI towards the IFA which the IFA returned by acknowledging that there was nothing stopping NI born players lining out for us if they so wished.

geysir
30/11/2010, 8:32 PM
In any case, that term "gentleman's agreement" has been rephrased by CAS (after examining the evidence) as "the alleged tacit agreement".

IsMiseSean
30/11/2010, 9:42 PM

Unless the IFA are tapping FAI phone lines how are they going to find out the first contact came from the FAI??

Crosby87
30/11/2010, 10:36 PM
Unless the IFA are tapping FAI phone lines how are they going to find out the first contact came from the FAI??

Wikileaks naturally.

Colbert Report
30/11/2010, 11:22 PM
He has already been capped once by the Northern Ireland senior team in the friendly against Italy on 6/6/09. So he's still eligible to play for us. Would be great to get the goy on board. The more the merrier!! Personally, I think the FAI should be doing everthing they can to recruit players and not adopt the laissez-faire attitude of "if they really want to play for us then it's up to them to get in contact with us." What's the harm in a simple phone call to sound the player out?

http://www.irishfa.com/news/item/4932/italy-3-0-northern-ireland

He was not capped in that match. Read the article, it clearly states that while he was on the bench, he was an unused substitute.

Charlie Darwin
30/11/2010, 11:46 PM
He was not capped in that match. Read the article, it clearly states that while he was on the bench, he was an unused substitute.

Northern Ireland: Tuffey, Johnson, Casement, Coates, McGivern, Little, O'Connor, McCann, Evans, Carson, Healy subs Mannus (replaced Tuffey 62), Ferguson (replaced Evans 78), McGinn (replaced Healy 45), Garrett (replaced O'Connor 62), Lawrie (replaced Carson 70), Donnelly (replaced Little 82), Duffy (not used)

Colbert Report
01/12/2010, 12:10 AM
Sorry, I only read this back page of the thread, assumed we were discussing Shane Duffy

Duffy (not used)

Charlie Darwin
01/12/2010, 12:12 AM
Ah, OK, I didn't cop that.

Gather round
01/12/2010, 8:25 AM
Morning all. It's the running gag that keeps giving, this one.

Seems to me that it's a pretty straightforward decision for Shane Ferguson. If he wants to play again for NI, he need merely sit tight. Anyone in a Prem squad, or even if he drops down to D2, can reasonably expect to feature regularly.

If he doesn't, and fancies boosting your struggling U-21 side, that's easy enough too. Just get his agent/ mate/ auntie Majella to phone the FAI and Bob's your uncle. It doesn't really matter who makes the first call, the reaction will be the same- brief sulks from the IFA, fans and Belfast media, then we'll forget about him. Bye bye.

I've only seen him play a couple of games, but regular watchers suggest he's best suited to a wide forward midfield role- not beefy enough for a full-back, apparently.

PS any word on Aviva ticket prices for February? Hope to see some of you there.

seanfhear
01/12/2010, 3:29 PM
Morning all. It's the running gag that keeps giving, this one.

Seems to me that it's a pretty straightforward decision for Shane Ferguson. If he wants to play again for NI, he need merely sit tight. Anyone in a Prem squad, or even if he drops down to D2, can reasonably expect to feature regularly.

If he doesn't, and fancies boosting your struggling U-21 side, that's easy enough too. Just get his agent/ mate/ auntie Majella to phone the FAI and Bob's your uncle. It doesn't really matter who makes the first call, the reaction will be the same- brief sulks from the IFA, fans and Belfast media, then we'll forget about him. Bye bye.

I've only seen him play a couple of games, but regular watchers suggest he's best suited to a wide forward midfield role- not beefy enough for a full-back, apparently.

PS any word on Aviva ticket prices for February? Hope to see some of you there.
I wish everyone had that attitude about players making up their own mind.
I think they should choose with their heart and their head. In the end only so many young players make the grade in the long run whether it be through injury or other reasons.

ArdeeBhoy
06/12/2010, 10:49 AM
any word on Aviva ticket prices for February? Hope to see some of you there.

You could always just look on the FAI website though it would be more useful if everyone just boycotted this pointless competition. Or even speak to various people in person, of your acquaintance!! :eek:

As for any fringe players, such they so desire, until the North rush to give them all full competitive caps, they'll always be technically available for Ireland. ;)
Which is kinda swapping a mediocre small team for a similarly mediocre larger one.

tommy_c12000
11/12/2010, 2:09 PM
Good to see Shane on the bench 2day against Wigan especially after the disappointment of his loan move collapsing. If they knock in a few goals there is a good chance he may see some game time.

Predator
17/12/2010, 12:42 PM
The fact that Everton seem to be looking for another centre half can't be too good for Duffy's prospects in the near future. It looks like Distin may be going after this season and Heitinga may leave in January so Duffy would be the only centre half left to partner Jagielka:

Dzmitry Verkhovtsov to learn Everton fate after trial (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1339155/Dzmitry-Verkhovtsov-learn-Everton-fate-trial.html)

Everton to spend big for Birmingham defender Dann (http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/everton-spend-big-birmingham-defender-dann-1324531)

It's probably just a case of Moyes wanting experience and if Duffy gets a loan move in January he'll be in a better position to fight for a place when he returns.

irishfan86
17/12/2010, 2:15 PM
I think the situation is fine Pred. It may just be a case of Duffy not being old enough, he's only 18. I know they say "if you're good enough, you're old enough," but with a position like centre-half, especially at Premier League level, you'll see very few players make the breakthrough at that age.

Everything I've heard about Duffy has been positive, but realistically he's probably at least two years off of being a starter there.

The Fly
13/01/2011, 3:18 AM
Interesting fan article touching on Shane Duffy.

http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/10-11/comment/fan/16811.html

EalingGreen
13/01/2011, 2:50 PM
Interesting fan article touching on Shane Duffy.

http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/10-11/comment/fan/16811.html

"... just days after the Stoke game, when Everton beat Tottenham 2-1. With Tim Cahill on international duty, Moyes abandoned his usual 4-5-1 formation and adopted a 4-4-2 formation, with Jermaine Beckford and Luis Saha up front. Saha scored a goal in the opening minutes and Séamus Coleman popped up with another goal to clinch victory. The success of Coleman (and indeed Beckford) is another enduring testament to the rewards of taking chances with talented, if unproven, players"

I was with the author of this article until the above paragraph. For I was at that Everton-Spurs game and if Coleman was truly outstanding, Beckford was anything but a "success". In fact, he was atrocious. And when I related this to an Everton season-ticket holder who hadn't been able to attend the game, he was not at all surprised. (Nor was he surprised by Coleman's performance, since he had been almost the only decent player in the team earlier in the season, when Everton were crap.).

Anyhow, whilst I personally believe Duffy has what it takes to go all the way, I would never argue with a proven manager like Moyes when it comes to handling young players.

drummerboy
13/01/2011, 5:23 PM
Anyhow, whilst I personally believe Duffy has what it takes to go all the way, I would never argue with a proven manager like Moyes when it comes to handling young players.

When a player suffers an impact injury as serious as Duffy, its bound to take time for them to rediscover their confidence. Sometimes it can have a lasting effect on the player. I'd say Moyes is taking it very slowly with Duffy. I would certainly have faith in his judgment.

Sullivinho
13/01/2011, 5:31 PM
I'd say Moyes is taking it very slowly with Duffy. I would certainly have faith in his judgment.

Considering his handling of Coleman, I can't think of another manager I'd want bringing Duffy through.

Predator
13/01/2011, 6:16 PM
When a player suffers an impact injury as serious as Duffy, its bound to take time for them to rediscover their confidence. Sometimes it can have a lasting effect on the player. I'd say Moyes is taking it very slowly with Duffy. I would certainly have faith in his judgment.Maybe Duffy isn't quite ready for Premiership football yet, but how much can we really say about his confidence being affected? Duffy has been playing reserve football since August and Moyes (and Mark Robins) evidently deemed him ready and confident enough for a decent Championship side only a few weeks ago, before the move fell through.

Charlie Darwin
13/01/2011, 6:22 PM
I'm not sure if it was posted earlier in the thread but Alan Stubbs said something along the lines that Duffy was still slowly building up his strength. Considering the amount of blood he lost, he might just be physically behind the rest at the moment. Plus Moyes is a very conservative manager, despite his record of bringing through elite talents.

Predator
06/02/2011, 5:24 PM
Not sure what the chances are, but it was in the Derry News through the week that Derry want Duffy. I admire Kenny's ambition, but I can't see it.

Predator
10/03/2011, 11:10 AM
While Shane Duffy was sitting on the bench for Everton yesterday, getting on with his career, he was subject to a Twitter tirade from a bitter Northern Ireland fan under the username: http://twitter.com/#!/ACS1982 (http://twitter.com/#%21/ACS1982)

"@ShaneDuffy1 (http://twitter.com/ShaneDuffy1) just read your bio. u dont deserve to play for your country... U used your country to get were u r today and then jumped ship. pr!ck!"
When Duffy replied that the bitter fellow didn't have a clue what he was talking about, the bitter fellow replied:
"@ShaneDuffy1 (http://twitter.com/ShaneDuffy1) - lol... Im not your mate. U turned your back on your country. If u wanted to play for eire why did u ever play for ni at school boy level? Some other lad could have played in your place, prob would have given their right arm to do so. Anyhow u wouldnt have got on... Once everton release u and u dont get off da bench for eire you will wake up and say, "shane, I made a mistake. I was a silly little boy" "
Is there ever a chance that Northern Ireland fans might, you know, move on? Instead, it seems that some are intent on harassing 19 year old footballers. Will young Paul George be subject to the same harassment, after the Belfast Telegraph's contrived 'Eligibility Row' news day? Maybe 'ACS1982' is the exception to the rule, but it's clear that he's a sad little man. It'd be nice for our supporters to give Duffy some support in the face of this harassment.

Gather round
10/03/2011, 11:23 AM
Is there ever a chance that Northern Ireland fans might, you know, move on? Instead, it seems that some are intent on harassing 19 year old footballers. Will young Paul George be subject to the same harassment?

Paul Shane who?

ArdeeBhoy
11/03/2011, 1:11 AM
Is there ever a chance that Northern Ireland fans might, you know, move on? Instead, it seems that some are intent on harassing 19 year old footballers. Will young Paul George be subject to the same harassment, after the Belfast Telegraph's contrived 'Eligibility Row' news day?
Maybe 'ACS1982' is the exception to the rule, but it's clear that he's a sad little man. It'd be nice for our supporters to give Duffy some support in the face of this harassment.

Given the response to Duffy on OWB, somehow think you're talking the lifetime of those commenting at best, so maybe around the end of the century or something, when we'll all probably be long gone.

tommy_c12000
24/03/2011, 6:20 PM
Off to Burnley on loan for 28 days initially. Great move for him. Burnley are going well in the Championship, pushing for the playoffs. Hopefully he'll see some game time

http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/page/LatestHeadlines/0,,10413~2323599,00.html

Dunners
24/03/2011, 7:50 PM
Great news I'll be albe to keep tabs on him if he plays , all the lads at work are season ticket holders at turf moor

paul_oshea
24/03/2011, 8:36 PM
How are you allowed go out on loan i thought that had to be done in transfer window?

irishfan86
24/03/2011, 8:51 PM
I believe you can do short-term loans outside of the window Paul.

paul_oshea
24/03/2011, 8:54 PM
Ya irishfan you must be able to cos its just happened! i was sorta questioning it though because I thought it was only in injury or emergency?

Where have you been btw irishfan?

Sullivinho
24/03/2011, 8:58 PM
I saw something on SSN earlier about today being a deadline for loan moves.

Hopefully Duffy can get some decent game time under his belt and 'do a Coleman' with it.

irishfan86
24/03/2011, 9:00 PM
Ya irishfan you must be able to cos its just happened! i was sorta questioning it though because I thought it was only in injury or emergency?

Where have you been btw irishfan?

I've been extremely busy Paul. In broadcast school now and I'm also covering the Vancouver Whitecaps in MLS.

You can check out my first story here, excuse the lack of accent -- I left Ireland when I was four (still waiting for Trap to call me up).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F03RLRs_tdE

paul_oshea
24/03/2011, 9:07 PM
I knew that would be your hair style alright.

Emphasise the "hon" at the end of your name :)

Only joking good work. SOme nice girls in that support :D

cornflakes
24/03/2011, 9:34 PM
I've been extremely busy Paul. In broadcast school now and I'm also covering the Vancouver Whitecaps in MLS.

You can check out my first story here, excuse the lack of accent -- I left Ireland when I was four (still waiting for Trap to call me up).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F03RLRs_tdE

You don't sound irish but you feckin look it

Junior
24/03/2011, 10:00 PM
Now I can't be arsed pulling out a pic of him but I'd say you have a bit of a Keith Tracey look about you. Either him or Justin Fashanu anyway.

SwanVsDalton
24/03/2011, 10:03 PM
He looks like Zig. Or Zag. Can't remember which one.

Predator
25/03/2011, 11:04 AM
Duffy is a target for next season (http://www.clarets-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/duffy_is_a_target_for_next_season_661306/index.shtml)

Interestingly, Duffy starts on the bench for Noel King's 21s today. Presumably it's so that King can have a look at that new lad Canavan.

Predator
01/04/2011, 11:51 AM
Shane Duffy delighted to be at Burnley (http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/sport/football/burnley-fc/shane_duffy_delighted_to_be_at_burnley_fc_1_324017 5)
Boss Eddie Howe said last week: “The important thing is improving the squad. I won’t just bring players in for the sake of it, it’s a case of finding players that will improve the squad.”
On that basis, Duffy comes into contention to face the Tractor Boys, and Howe said: “He’s settled in very well.
“He has a fantastic attitude and is clearly talented.
“He joined us from Monday so he’s trained well.
“Although he’s young, he’s a talented boy, he’s a great size and attacks the ball really well in the air in both boxes.
“As I said when we took him, he’s going to come into contention to play, but also with half an eye on next year.”

It'll be interesting to see whether Duffy plays tomorrow.