PDA

View Full Version : Stuff you are supposed to like but is actually rubbish

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Angus
06/03/2009, 7:28 AM
A thread dedicated to the things that "officialdom" mandate we are supposed to like

Lists please:

1 The ad with the eyebrow children - sorry, no - utter nonsense

2 Borat The Movie - am I the only person who thinks he comes off like a tool while the Americans come across as nice decent people ?

3 Munster Rugby - sorry, I get that the sum of of the parts is exceeded by the whole but enough is enough

4 Rugby - see 3

5 Rod Stewart

6 Controversial one now - Father Ted - just don't get it

Pauro 76
06/03/2009, 7:37 AM
Twitter. I dont get the hype. And tweets and twittering and such like... Just the same as Facebook status updates but longer. I really dont want to know what Z-list celebs are having for breakfast right now. And when you get emails saying somebody is following your twitter, isnt that just glorified stalking?

The Cadburys ad with the gorilla drumming. What the hell..

Controversial... Gift Grub. It's gone too self-indulgent and it's going downhill I'm afraid...

Mr T and his Snickers ad. I know it was funny at first, but now the man is turning up everywhere promoting the brand, and he's just a walking advert instead of an icon.

Lionel Ritchie
06/03/2009, 9:06 AM
A thread dedicated to the things that "officialdom" mandate we are supposed to like....
2 Borat The Movie - am I the only person who thinks he comes off like a tool while the Americans come across as nice decent people ?
Agree. Sexually harrassing a pensioner? Smashing up an antique shop? sounds good for a larf. The rest of it might've been written by Jason Byrne it was that unfunny.

3 Munster Rugby - sorry, I get that the sum of of the parts is exceeded by the whole but enough is enough

4 Rugby - see 3
...to be fair they're just down to you not liking rugby (not a huge fan myself either). I could write the very same thing about GAA but could highlight the double-standards of RTE often not even giving the results from LOI division 1 compared with the inordinate, inappropriate level of coverage given to non-events like the GAA club championship where there's highlights shown, interviews with both Bannisters, the team captains (who are always trainee Garda for some reason). Yet in the highlights shown the stadia are as empty as the one in the old tango ad.

Twitter. I dont get the hype. And tweets and twittering and such like... Just the same as Facebook status updates but longer. I really dont want to know what Z-list celebs are having for breakfast right now. And when you get emails saying somebody is following your twitter, isnt that just glorified stalking?
. I'm inclined to agree. Twitters pitch is that it's about the people you need/want to know (that's Linkedin no?) as opposed to Facebook/myspace being about the people you used to know. Only true if you're an avid Bella/TV Now reader from what I've seen of it.

Controversial... Gift Grub. It's gone too self-indulgent and it's going downhill I'm afraid...
. Absolutely. Very hit and miss. Trades off less than half a dozen gags and to my ears generally comes across as a bit of a transition year friday afternoon media project.

A couple of my own...

LOST

Dragons Den

The Easter Rising

Dodge
06/03/2009, 9:15 AM
Of those mentioned I'd disagree with the cadbury's ads (but agree that people go over the top about them), Borat the Movie (but the TV show wasn't great) and Rod Stewart (he's one of my guilty little secrets). The Munster Rugby bandwagon is as bad as any I can remember.

I'd add
gmail (its just a webmail ffs)
Apres Match (same reasoning as gift grub)
snow patrol (I know its cool to knock them but they're absolutely terrible)

I'm going to think about this thread for a while today...

Pauro 76
06/03/2009, 9:21 AM
Absolutely. Very hit and miss. Trades off less than half a dozen gags and to my ears generally comes across as a bit of a transition year friday afternoon media project.

I've been listening to the podcasts and Gift Grub is rapidly running out of ideas. The Andrea Roche imprersation with two lines, same as Kenny Egan, yer wan out of Fair City... recycled catchphrases and jokes... Same is happening to Apres Match.

Totally agree about Lost. I did try and get into it, but it's so frustrating to follow and plots take forever to unravel...

dahamsta
06/03/2009, 9:38 AM
Think the latest choccy ad is rubbish, but don't rant about it for fear of being dubbed old.

Think the gorilla ad is even worse. Completely pointless.

Hate Twitter. With a passion. Set up sh*tter.com to prove it. (Gone now.) Full of blogger idiots.

Hate blogger idiots even more. Don't expect me to read about your morning coffee and/or personal issues. If you want me to read your site, post about something interesting. And call it a site.

adam

tetsujin1979
06/03/2009, 9:39 AM
Little Britain.
It's just not funny.

Pauro 76
06/03/2009, 9:51 AM
James Corden and Matthew Horne.

Terrible, terrible, terrible and not in the slightest bit funny. Witness them dying on their arse presenting the Brit Awards. Dont get the whole Gavin and Stacey hype either...

Lionel Ritchie
06/03/2009, 10:02 AM
snow patrol (I know its cool to knock them but they're absolutely terrible)
:D

How could I have missed Snow Patrol. Christ, I'd love someone to just ask him in an interview, "So Gary, you've become the REO Speedwagon of your generation ...you must be very proud?"

Also Ray LaMontagne ..."saved by a woman"? ...beaten up by a woman as likely.:o

noby
06/03/2009, 10:06 AM
James Corden and Matthew Horne.

Terrible, terrible, terrible and not in the slightest bit funny. Witness them dying on their arse presenting the Brit Awards.

Agreed. I watched a bit of G&S. Not bad, but not outstanding.

Little Britain got very old very fast.

Oh and fruit flavoured "ciders", like Koopaberg.

NeilMcD
06/03/2009, 10:15 AM
Saturday Nights

Dodge
06/03/2009, 10:19 AM
Gavin & Stacey is pretty good. Wouldn't buy the boxset but decent enough

I'd like to add

New Year's Eve (the night for people who don't go out the rest of the year and HAVE TO have a great night)
Galway (a couple of clubs and a few bars do not make a great weekend spot)

Sheridan
06/03/2009, 10:29 AM
In terms of the quality-to-reputation ratio, Star Wars, the Beatles and Lord of the Rings top this list by miles.

Dodge
06/03/2009, 10:32 AM
In terms of the quality-to-reputation ratio, Star Wars... and Lord of the Rings top this list by miles.

I'd forgot about films. Agree on those two. I'll add Shawshank Redemption and pretty much every Steven Spielberg movie

Den Perry
06/03/2009, 10:34 AM
...to be fair they're just down to you not liking rugby (not a huge fan myself either). I could write the very same thing about GAA but could highlight the double-standards of RTE often not even giving the results from LOI division 1 compared with the inordinate, inappropriate level of coverage given to non-events like the GAA club championship where there's highlights shown, interviews with both Bannisters, the team captains (who are always trainee Garda for some reason). Yet in the highlights shown the stadia are as empty as the one in the old tango ad.

Brilliant point - couldn't agree more about GAA coverage

others on my list -
Munster bandwagon - obviously I like to see them winning but would lose a lot more sleep when Ireland do poorly in football

Paul Collins - totally overated
The Crypt - crap band
The panel- totally overated (prob cause I can't stand Andrew Maxwell)
Stephen Hunt
The Cork Bloody Hurlers

end of

micls
06/03/2009, 10:49 AM
Little Britain.
It's just not funny.

Agreed.

Lord of the rings books(and movies). Great story idea but one book would have been fine. I dont need a tree described to me for 20 pages. Snore...

Derry City FC- near to blasphemy down these parts but I really dislike them as a club and the whole love in rubbish (waits for onslaught from Derry fans)

Lady Gaga- If I could get away with it Id take her out

Pizza and Burgers....I think Im just weird in this regard

dahamsta
06/03/2009, 11:16 AM
New Year's Eve (the night for people who don't go out the rest of the year and HAVE TO have a great night)+1. The hugging drives me demented.

Angus
06/03/2009, 11:20 AM
Frasier - with Kelsey Overactor Grammer

Roadend
06/03/2009, 11:24 AM
Scrubs - I hear people baning on about it being hilarious but it is one of the least funny things I've ever seen

Dodge
06/03/2009, 11:25 AM
Scrubs - I hear people baning on about it being hilarious but it is one of the least funny things I've ever seen

It started out funny enough but got old very, very quickly

Sligo Hornet
06/03/2009, 11:41 AM
+1. The hugging drives me demented.

+ 2......I thought it was just me:o

pete
06/03/2009, 11:57 AM
Frasier - with Kelsey Overactor Grammer

One of the greatest sit coms ever.

* I hate the Cadbury kids advert - I switch channel when it comes on.
* Internet Crazes. e.g. Twitter - Serves no purpose whatsoever.

Lev Yashin
06/03/2009, 12:16 PM
Birthday parties....lets have fun now...and then end it at a certain time!!

New years...over rated..over hyped messy night...gimme jools holland any year

Facebook....why?

Rugby...god i hate that sport...throw a ball backward to go forewards...and it started cause someone picked up a football and ran with it...if someone did that now they be given a hammering and rightly so!

Curb your enthusiasm...flight of the conchords(insert your own flavour of the month "comedy" here)

Star wars....im not going to even comment on this one.

Middle managers...their self importance is staggering.

think im going off topic here so im going to stop.

anto1208
06/03/2009, 12:34 PM
Women ! i mean whats the ****s going on there ?????

Wolfie
06/03/2009, 12:38 PM
Agreed.
Lady Gaga- If I could get away with it Id take her out

Do you mean "take her out" in the Al Pacino sense or the Cilla Black sense? :confused:

micls
06/03/2009, 12:39 PM
Do you mean "take her out" in the Al Pacino sense or the Cilla Black sense? :confused:

Al Pacino.....

Unless by Cilla Black sense you mean annoy her to death which I could also do....

micls
06/03/2009, 12:40 PM
Women ! i mean whats the ****s going on there ?????

It's good to be open and honest about your sexuality :)

Wolfie
06/03/2009, 12:47 PM
Al Pacino.....

Unless by Cilla Black sense you mean annoy her to death which I could also do....

Yes - I think the old tried and trusted "Cilla and Al" move could be appropriate - in that order.

Extreme bouts of boredom quickly followed up with a drive by.

Pauro 76
06/03/2009, 1:11 PM
Agree about Lady Gaga. Average music-wise and she's not even hot. Likewise Katy Perry, strange eyebrows on her... add to that the Ting Tings and Razorlight.

Also Friends and Seinfeld, hugely over-rated.

Dodge
06/03/2009, 1:18 PM
Seinfeld, hugely over-rated.

Easy big fellah! Something's are just plain great, and Seinfeld is one of them

Pauro 76
06/03/2009, 1:29 PM
Easy big fellah! Something's are just plain great, and Seinfeld is one of them

I dont think I've ever actually laughed during an episode of Seinfeld. Maybe its just me!

I'll add to that Eamon Dunphy..

passinginterest
06/03/2009, 1:37 PM
Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland Paris, worst roller coaster ever.

superfrank
06/03/2009, 1:59 PM
All those sci-fi shows/movies/books that people are obsessed about. What's the big deal? It's all fantasy.

Rugby. I just don't like it all.

Oxegen. I don't see why people rant and rave about it so much.

brianw82
06/03/2009, 2:13 PM
Any of these poncy singer-songwriter types that are popular amongst students. I don't want to listen to you warbling over an acoustic guitar, whingeing about your girlfriend dumping you for a jock, or the fact that you didn't get the right easter egg last year.

Rovers1
06/03/2009, 2:15 PM
The Panel, because of Neil Delamare- total ****, ruins the show.
Johnny Giles- Irish great? **** off!
The English Premiership/Celtic FC - well i am Irish and expected to love both
I 102/104FM

Keen2win
06/03/2009, 2:20 PM
Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland Paris, worst roller coaster ever.

Is that the runaway train one???

bennocelt
06/03/2009, 2:20 PM
I'd forgot about films. Agree on those two. I'll add Shawshank Redemption and pretty much every Steven Spielberg movie

well at least his last 20 or so movies have been ****e - I HATE Saving Private Ryan with a passion - ham acting, silly dialogue, america wins the day, blah blah blah - want to watch a real war movie?- then watch Cross of Iron or a good Russian war movie

I also dont get all the "cool" american Tv shows - Scrubs, CSI, Heroes, Lost, 24 - i mean its all way over rated _ back in the day American Tv was quality - Streets of SF, Cagney and lacey, Hill Steet, A - Team - but its all rubbish now with loads of beautiful people - no grit (and i like my grit!)

can i also put Ireland into this - I love my country but we have produced the likes of Louis Walsh, westlife, and Bono - and that is a high rating on any nations cringefactor - that and the doirt accent and all that goes with it, we are so up our onw asses its funny:)

Fizzer
06/03/2009, 2:24 PM
Agree with Lost, Munster Rugby, New Years Eve, Lord of the Rings, Scrubs, the Beatles

I'd add (1) The guy who crashed the plane into the Hudson river recently
(2) Energy efficiency
(3) Kaka, I don't get the hype
(4) Barrack Obama, see 3
(5) Beyonce, that new song is utter gobbledegook
(6) CSI
(7) Billy Connolly, funny once, not now
(8) Superbad
(9) Animated films
(10) U2

Great thread

noby
06/03/2009, 2:29 PM
Hmm. I'd like to know how 'the guy who crashed the plane into the Hudson river recently' 'is actually rubbish'.

Fizzer
06/03/2009, 2:31 PM
Cos he crashed

SkStu
06/03/2009, 2:31 PM
Hmm. I'd like to know how 'the guy who crashed the plane into the Hudson river recently' 'is actually rubbish'.

:D was wondering the same myself, and also why we are supposed to like him...? Respect him, yes.

Torn-Ado
06/03/2009, 2:46 PM
The Dark Knight

anto1208
06/03/2009, 2:46 PM
Im waiting for someone to list, stupid lists about things we dont like on the internet ..........

Ah balls

Angus
06/03/2009, 3:45 PM
Michael Parkinson's talk show

The Commitments the movie (books excellent - movie rubbish)

Some Like It Hot -cringeingly unfunny

Scarface

BTW just in case we come across as complete cynics, next thread will be "Stuff that officialdom doesn't like but is better than people think"

Ross O Carroll Kelly (since the move to the IT)

Rovers fan
06/03/2009, 4:57 PM
The Dark Knight

Phew, I'm not the only one!

forza rovers
06/03/2009, 5:49 PM
fair city and is bad acting

friends its not funny

most muck on tv3 especially nightly news with Vincent brown

q&a on rte nobody cares

Irish version of dragons den it will never be as good as the UK version and who are the people on it?

arm chair fans

people who think their real supporters by watching the likes of man U on sky

John83
06/03/2009, 7:06 PM
Seinfeld. There are a bunch of US comedies that fall totally flat for me; Seinfeld is king of that hill.

Pauro 76
06/03/2009, 7:23 PM
I hate it when a person behind the bar drops a glass and everyone starts cheering.

pete
06/03/2009, 7:33 PM
fair city and is bad acting

Is that something we are supposed to like? :p

Newryrep
06/03/2009, 7:43 PM
Wayne World - two jokes, the Statrway to Heaven one and the Scooby doo on the rest was drivel

Austin Powers - one trick pony and a not particurily funny pony

Rock School - Jack Black with crap rock, cute kids

Cloverfield see my previous posts regarding this particular beauty