13/02/2008, 4:14 PM
Denis O Brien is the man who coughed up, fair play to him

geysir
13/02/2008, 4:17 PM
What did O'Brien cough up?

eekers
13/02/2008, 4:17 PM
Denis O Brien is the man who coughed up, fair play to him

yes fair play to tax exile denis o' brien. 1 million is 0.04 percent of his personal wealth btw (pocket money to him)

beautifulrock
13/02/2008, 4:20 PM
yes fair play to tax exile denis o' brien. 1 million is 0.04 percent of his personal wealth btw (pocket money to him)

stupid comment, has anyone else done it :confused: typical Irish begrudier

Maroon 7
13/02/2008, 4:33 PM
Media seem to be concentrating on O'Brien's contribution rather than Trap himself.

NeilMcD
13/02/2008, 4:34 PM
Jeus the journalist are ****s, they only concentrate on the O Brien issue. I know we dont want cheerleaders with laptops but this is unreal.

Ireland4ever
13/02/2008, 4:34 PM
Fair FOOCks to denis obrien...irishman investing in irish football!

Metrostars
13/02/2008, 4:38 PM
Givens at one point seemed exasperated when the journos kept going on about O'Brien.

Maroon 7
13/02/2008, 4:40 PM
Givens at one point seemed exasperated when the journos kept going on about O'Brien.

So was I.

No doubt the O'Brien angle looks like it will be all over the papers tomorrow.

LeixlipRed
13/02/2008, 4:41 PM
Givens is exasperated because Trap's appointment probably means he'll be shown the door. Which is long overdue in my mind

Serb
13/02/2008, 4:41 PM
Fair FOOCks to denis obrien...irishman investing in irish football!

It's not really an investment on his part, unless he has some sort of agreement with the FAI about renumeration which we don't know about. Looks like he's just giving the cash away, would that be correct?

Superhoops
13/02/2008, 4:43 PM
Jeus the journalist are ****s, they only concentrate on the O Brien issue. I know we dont want cheerleaders with laptops but this is unreal.

Media seem to be concentrating on O'Brien's contribution rather than Trap himself.

This just goes to show the depths that the Irish sports media have stooped to. Tomorrow's stories will be more about Denis O'Brien than the new manager.

On a side issue, Don Givens, who takes a lot of flak, particularly on this site, deserves credit for the job he had done and how he went about it.

Metrostars
13/02/2008, 5:47 PM
No doubt the journos will keep harping on about this as it give them more stories to talk about. And perhaps TO'D should do a bit of research, Abramovich is known to have made a similar deal or Hiddink and last time I checked, Russia is in Europe.

rodrigo cardoso
13/02/2008, 5:54 PM
All this talk of DOB giving a donation to help fund the appointment of is making me sick. What clubs has this guy helped out financially? Where was Mr.O'Brien when Kilkenny City had to close up shop? How is money going to help league of Ireland clubs finance their day to day activities as they try to keep their heads above water.

cavan_fan
13/02/2008, 5:57 PM
All this talk of DOB giving a donation to help fund the appointment of is making me sick. What clubs has this guy helped out financially? Where was Mr.O'Brien when Kilkenny City had to close up shop? How is money going to help league of Ireland clubs finance their day to day activities as they try to keep their heads above water.

I wanted to write a reasoned argument but cant be bothered. Can we find a room for the begrudgers pls

Sheridan
13/02/2008, 5:59 PM
Can't believe what I'm reading here, I guess that's the modern Irish fair-play-to-the-cute-hoor, money-cures-all ethos. For a start, this money isn't going into Irish football, it's going on a speculative appointment to the management staff of a Britsh-based team for short-term gain (which in itself is unlikely to accrue.) I can think of a million and one better uses for this money within domestic football. Secondly, unless you're hopelessly naive or your moral compass is wildly askew you couldn't say with hand on heart that Denis O'Brien or his money are entirely lillywhite.

sullanefc
13/02/2008, 5:59 PM
Fair play Denis O'Brien. He didn't have to do this but obviously wants to see the national team do well.

Could be worse, he could have invested in a british club like sunderland or celtic a la Drumaville or Dermot Desmond. Even John Delaney had a dig at this practise on the 6 one. Fair play to all involved.

Ireland4ever
13/02/2008, 6:01 PM

What are you on about? He doesnt have to give any money to anyone yet he did. Its his money. No-one said he helped out any clubs, and he doesnt have to, obviously he doesnt give a hoot about kilkenny, and why should he? He has no obligation to any LOI teams. Again its his money and he can do with it what he wants!

carloz
13/02/2008, 6:02 PM
I hope people let this go and focus on the main matter today, the fact we have one of the most gifted managers in the world taking over little old us

cavan_fan
13/02/2008, 6:04 PM
Can't believe what I'm reading here, I guess that's the modern Irish fair-play-to-the-cute-hoor, money-cures-all ethos. For a start, this money isn't going into Irish football, it's going on a speculative appointment to the management staff of a Britsh-based team for short-term gain (which in itself is unlikely to accrue.) I can think of a million and one better uses for this money within domestic football. Secondly, unless you're hopelessly naive or your moral compass is wildly askew you couldn't say with hand on heart that Denis O'Brien or his money are entirely lillywhite.

Firstly it is going into grassroots football. This will increase the FAI's income to spend on other things. Secondly everyone else in the world understands that international success leads to domestic popularity.Thirdly, British based...you just cant resist can you.

NeilMcD
13/02/2008, 6:05 PM
Lads have you not copped that the fact he contribued towards Trappatonis wages that it frees up money for the grassroots of Irish football that otherwise would have been used to pay Trappatonis wages, so in effect the money he gives will help the grassroots of Irish football.

Ireland4ever
13/02/2008, 6:06 PM

So what do you want the Irish manager to work for free??:confused: . Really, some people are never happy.

Hibernian
13/02/2008, 6:06 PM
I am far from an admirer of O Brien but I have to say fair play to him. Most these top names go to the big British clubs to give there dough but he has given it back to his own country so fair play for this one.

eekers
13/02/2008, 6:24 PM
I wonder will Denis O'Brien be giving a press conference from his jail cell,....... he is in jail i presume for robbing this money???

same jail cell as roman abramovich. havent you heard people with money dont go to jail no matter what they do.

DmanDmythDledge
13/02/2008, 6:28 PM
Lads have you not copped that the fact he contribued towards Trappatonis wages that it frees up money for the grassroots of Irish football that otherwise would have been used to pay Trappatonis wages, so in effect the money he gives will help the grassroots of Irish football.
Does it really though? The FAI are loaded as it is.

By the way, I think Delaney was right to accept the offer.

NeilMcD
13/02/2008, 6:29 PM
Well without looking in to their accounts. I am sure they dont just sit on the money and invest it in Generale Societie or something like that.

keenanboy
13/02/2008, 6:35 PM
The glass seems to be always half empty with some people on this site I find it hilarious. Picking holes in everything, its a great day for Irish soccer and all some can do is whinge about Denis O'Brien.

We are a nation of begrudgers and have an inferiority complex about one of our own making something of themselves. If I was O'Brien I would have kept my money in the bank instead of wasting it on a bunch of moaners and whingers which the celtic tiger has spawned in their thousands.

finnpark
13/02/2008, 6:36 PM

I agree totally. He is happy to be the big man and line some knob's pockets but he won't hand it out (and most other on our richest list) to help Irish clubs make the breakthrough in European competition which is much more important to Irish soccer.

Ireland4ever
13/02/2008, 7:11 PM
I agree totally. He is happy to be the big man and line some knob's pockets but he won't hand it out (and most other on our richest list) to help Irish clubs make the breakthrough in European competition which is much more important to Irish soccer.

Its his money he can do with it what he likes, he has no oblligation to help anyone out - that includes some LOI fans with an over inflated sense of their own importance - i for one am gladhe has decided to help the senior team out.

bellavistaman
13/02/2008, 7:13 PM
Fair play to him, fantastic to see it being done.

Bingo
13/02/2008, 7:28 PM
Lads, I dont post here often but I feel compelled to make a few points to the so called sceptics and bleeding hearts moaning about the fact that this guy gave money to fund the appointment of a top class manager, rather than invest in "grassroots" or eircom league.

As someone involved in both grassroots now and as eircom league or old loi as a player in the past, I really couldnt give a fiddlers fcuk that he has donated this money. It was a great move imo. Fair play to him.

Im sick that all the press are concerned about is "denis o'brien this", "irregular payment". I cannot figure out Tony O'Donoghue, obviously someone told him to kop on between his first bulletin on six one news and his talk with Razor Houghton. As for "Sharon the gaelgoir" trying to question Delaney in an embarrassing manner, I just thought it was bordering on embarrassing.

What people forget is that a successful national team has a knock on effect to the grassroots. I'm not saying that this success is guaranteed, but for ffs give it a try.

At the time of Euro 88, I was a young "grassroots" player and I'll tell you this, it gave me and my footie mad mates some boost to actually hear people in the media talking about "OUR TEAM" for a change. That had a knock on effect imo for kids to start playing. We need success at international level to help out grassroots just as much as we need to support grassroots to be successful at international level. It goes hand in hand.

As regards the old chestnut of putting the money into loi, as far as I can see and from personal experience, from a pure maths point of view, even if a €1m was stuck into loi, it wouldnt make a long term difference. It would merely delay the inevitable, which is, that loi clubs balance sheets do not add up. Too much goin out, not enough comin in.

When I played, I used to get the excuse that "Cant pay ye this week, as the disco was cancelled etc". Whilst the standard of Loi has undoubtably improved, the simple truth is that unless clubs are either, 1) all amateur or 2) getting gates of 20,000 each week, it aint going to happen. Maybe some of the bleeding hearts should get their buddies out of the pub on match day to support the local loi team week in week out, and not just for "big" games.

I hope I havent gone off on a mad one too much, and no doubt people will try to pick holes in what I have to say........

But at the moment as a supporter of all things Irish football, I feel quite subdued on a day I should be delighted. Methinks the influence of the English media and public has manifested itself now in Ireland.

eirebhoy
13/02/2008, 7:42 PM
You never know. The Irish football team might just have a bit of his heart. Watching them at the world cup may have been some of the happiest weeks of his life and he probably wants to experience something like that again.

To a lot of LOI fans the national team is just a bit on the side from their first love, some even want the national team to fail. It's completely different for many of us on here who love the team with a passion.

Rob_the_cat
13/02/2008, 7:50 PM
Its not up to any of us to judge another man and what he does with his money. Thirdly a debate on the merits of taxation is beyond the minds of the members of our society, never mind this forum. Now, can we PLEASE stop applauding Denis, he made his choice. I made mine, to contribute to the exchequer from my meagre earnings. Today is about one man and one man only. All hail Il Trap!

Superhoops
13/02/2008, 7:51 PM
......I cannot figure out Tony O'Donoghue, obviously someone told him to kop on between his first bulletin on six one news and his talk with Razor Houghton. As for "Sharon the gaelgoir" trying to question Delaney in an embarrassing manner, I just thought it was bordering on embarrassing.....

Absolutely spot on :)

TOD has been an embarrassment for RTE since he was given the run-around the night the announcement about Stephen Staunton's termination was made.

Sharon Ní Bheoláin's interview John Delaney on SixOne news was not just embarrassing, it was amateurish.

sonofstan
13/02/2008, 7:57 PM
it'd be great if we could all politely decline the Revenue Commissioners request for their slice of our income with a 'no thanks, I'd rather use the money to pay for something high profile that'll have all the lads saying 'fair play' down the pub, rather than for schools and hospitals and boring stuff'

The real irish inferiority complex, much discussed above, lies in the fact that we're afraid to stand up to the rich and powerful, instead applying the 'cute hoor' rule to avoid confronting our moral cowardice.

half_full
13/02/2008, 8:10 PM
Once again Delaney and the FAI astound me in their ineptitude. They now are indebted to Denis O'Brian, on some level or another and this talk of no strings attached is BULL. O'Brian should have no involvement like this and faiLURE should have told him where to go. If anyone thinks that this guy is in it for anything more than PR needs a serious wake up call.

Also, I think Pat Dolan raised some very good points earlier on Setanta as to why Trappatoni took the Irish job, but I do hope he is 100% committed and gives all players a fair chance to get into the squad.

finnpark
13/02/2008, 8:12 PM
You never know. The Irish football team might just have a bit of his heart. Watching them at the world cup may have been some of the happiest weeks of his life and he probably wants to experience something like that again.

To a lot of LOI fans the national team is just a bit on the side from their first love, some even want the national team to fail. It's completely different for many of us on here who love the team with a passion.

I agree with you and Im glad he made the donation for this and hopefully it will lead to a return on investment that will befit us all. But I think we need to be realistic about our chances of qualifying especially with Italy in our group.

NeilMcD
13/02/2008, 8:12 PM
Jesus it must be tough being that bitter.

finnpark
13/02/2008, 8:18 PM
Jesus it must be tough being that bitter.

Some of us are just not getting carried away by all this hype talk especially in the media. Its a sport after all and can be very unpredictable. Lets just wait and see how things go but hes not a miracle worker and I think he will find it hard to finish ahead of Italy despite your optimism

NeilMcD
13/02/2008, 8:21 PM
Who is getting carried away on here. All I see is people who are being optimisitic. If you cant be optimistic when you have just appointed one of the best managers in the world you may as well shoot yourself.

bohsRap
13/02/2008, 8:30 PM

I agree with you in some respect although as was mentioned this will hopefully prevent money being taken out of the LOI funds.

Delaney also talked of more investments coming in the next few months so hopefully LOI will benefit. On top of that if Denis O'Brien didn't invest in the national team he would probably invest abroad so what do you expect the FAI to do?

finnpark
13/02/2008, 8:30 PM
Who is getting carried away on here. All I see is people who are being optimisitic. If you cant be optimistic when you have just appointed one of the best managers in the world you may as well shoot yourself.

If he is one of the best managers in the world why the hell is he managing an Austrian side? :confused: Surely he would be still managing Italy or one of the top Italian teams if he was that good. Im shocked to hear you say that. I thought he was the best of a bad bunch but very expensive.

finnpark
13/02/2008, 8:33 PM
I agree with you in some respect although as was mentioned this will hopefully prevent money being taken out of the LOI funds.

Delaney also talked of more investments coming in the next few months so hopefully LOI will benefit. On top of that if Denis O'Brien didn't invest in the national team he would probably invest abroad so what do you expect the FAI to do?

Yes, its good. The FAI don't have to pay the money and we get the best manager on our short list plus he may have success, perhaps for the Euros in 3 years after his current contract.

The FAI have done everything right here but its the money that clinched the deal for them. Its a waiting game now.

NeilMcD
13/02/2008, 8:34 PM
Because I believe that most Football clubs are ageist and most would feel that his age is too old for club football. However I think at international level age and experience are vital and are actually a good thing. He had his time with Italy.

Anyway we could argue that no matter who we got was any good because if they were good they would not be our manager. That is the typical Irish logic that ****s many people up and drives them into a bitter early grave.

finnpark
13/02/2008, 8:38 PM
Because I believe that most Football clubs are ageist and most would feel that his age is too old for club football. However I think at international level age and experience are vital and are actually a good thing. He had his time with Italy.

Anyway we could argue that no matter who we got was any good because if they were good they would not be our manager. That is the typical Irish logic that ****s many people up and drives them into a bitter early grave.

:D Indeed

But Im just not wearing blinkers. I can't say if hes good or not, only time will tell. He has a tough job and lets hope he has great success.

drummerboy
13/02/2008, 8:41 PM
Whats all the fuss about O'Brien giving money. I didn't hear any complaints when MacManus was ploughing money into the Limerick GAA. Fair play to O'Brien, at least he is putting back some of the easy money he got when he was awarded the mobile phone licence.

paul_oshea
13/02/2008, 8:48 PM
i think the obrien thing was on purpose because the FAI didnt have anything to "break" at 5 if they didnt mention this and probably wanted them to focus on this issue.....

fair play to obrien, I liked the way delaney got one over on mulryan and those others investing in english football. for once i think he has said something impressive. great dig.

Scram
13/02/2008, 9:14 PM
i think the obrien thing was on purpose because the FAI didnt have anything to "break" at 5 if they didnt mention this and probably wanted them to focus on this issue.....

fair play to obrien, I liked the way delaney got one over on mulryan and those others investing in english football. for once i think he has said something impressive. great dig.

Yes great dig, disgusted though to hear that lying money laundering hyprocite in Leinster House (occasionally) say how great Trappatoni is for Irish Football whilst raving on about Man U when intervewed showing absolutely no tact.

keenanboy
13/02/2008, 10:01 PM
Lads we've had years and years of gloom and disappointment.
All thoughts aside about O'Brien, money etc, who cares?

Giovanni Trappatoni is coming to run our national team, and that is absolutely savage!!!

Maroon 7
13/02/2008, 10:17 PM
For anyone not watching O'Brien was on the phone to Vincent Brown's show and said he's been involved since before Stan got the sack. A big deal being made out of it.

Looks like the big story has quickly moved from Trap to Denis O'Brien's involvement. A bit sad really.