PDA

View Full Version : Rovers Win

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Paddyfield
14/12/2007, 6:37 PM
Well done Hoops. Great news for Irish football.

Any links to photos of Tallaght stadium?

No more jokes about ye being homeless now.

Sam Savic
14/12/2007, 6:43 PM
Well done to SRFC, the right result and something which I dont think should have happened in the first place.

One thing I would like to say tho, it wasnt a case of the GAA against the FAI either. It was certain members of a GAA club against the development. Dont be namecalling and showing your own bigotry against whole organisation due to the actions of a small few. It caused huge costs and delays and a lot of arguments what they did, and I dont agree with it one bit, but tar those people with it, not the whole thing.

The Dublin County Bigot Board and President CLG Bigot were fully behind Thomas Bigots in this case.
Did I mention bigot enough there?

Dodge
14/12/2007, 6:50 PM
Looking forward to the new Luas Derby and never having to go to Tolka again

HolylandsMan
14/12/2007, 7:30 PM
Find this interesting, read a thread on a GAA forum titled "Thomas Davis Lose". Glasss half empty i suppose

On that subject, now that this is all over, any chance Rovers could tell their imposter "Dublinfella" to win his neck in.

Fairly pathetic the lengths he went to impersonating a GAA supporter to press Rover's case on a GAA discussion board.

If Thomas Davis go bust because of the legal costs (as manay of you seem to gleefully predict), with the precedent set today they might rise from the ashes, cast off their debt and get a stadium handed to them funded by the public. Ground sharing in Tallaght yet perhaps!

Sam Savic
14/12/2007, 7:50 PM
If Thomas Davis go bust because of the legal costs (as manay of you seem to gleefully predict), with the precedent set today they might rise from the ashes, cast off their debt and get a stadium handed to them funded by the public. Ground sharing in Tallaght yet perhaps!

Where has anyone gleefully predicted that Thomas Bigots would go bust? If you were familiar with this case you would know that that couldn't happen.

Also, statement issued by the bigots tonight, including the Dublin Bigot Board, states that they are considering an appeal. The goalposts have also moved. They want the stadium for inter county matches - even though the judicial review was taken by Thomas Bigots and didn't include, by name at least, the Dublin Bigot Board.

OneRedArmy
14/12/2007, 8:32 PM
On that subject, now that this is all over, any chance Rovers could tell their imposter "Dublinfella" to win his neck in.

Fairly pathetic the lengths he went to impersonating a GAA supporter to press Rover's case on a GAA discussion board.

If Thomas Davis go bust because of the legal costs (as manay of you seem to gleefully predict), with the precedent set today they might rise from the ashes, cast off their debt and get a stadium handed to them funded by the public. Ground sharing in Tallaght yet perhaps!This is a football board.

TD had the explicit support of the local clubs, the county board and provincial council and the support of a lot of the wider GAA clubs and members in the country for an action that had only one aim which was to prevent soccer being played in Tallaght.

Suggest you pull the splinters out of your arse or change your avatar.

Kildare Lad
14/12/2007, 8:51 PM
Well done Rovers!

harpstilidie
14/12/2007, 8:56 PM
Great news for both the LOI and Rovers!
Congrats! :D
Looking forward to visiting it in 2009!

Burny89
14/12/2007, 9:26 PM
Great News

pixiehead
14/12/2007, 10:49 PM
I knew this case was on going but i never figured out what TDs argument was. Would someone fill me in breifly if theyve time please and thanks :confused:
Well done the Hoops. Another victory for the common Man :)

Dr.Nightdub
14/12/2007, 10:52 PM
Congratulations Rovers, delighted for youse. Not gonna say "great day for the League" cos it's a great day for Rovers to savour just for themselves - today is THEIR triumph. It'll be a great day for the rest of us when "away to Rovers" means going to Tallaght.

HolylandsMan
14/12/2007, 11:40 PM
Suggest you pull the splinters out of your arse or change your avatar.

I've never particularly hidden the fact that I'm a GAA man first and foremost. Ask Maribor to confirm if you want. That said, I've recently strarted going to, and enjoying, Eircom League soccer.

I'll change the avatar if you want but might I suggest that this sort of attitude towards fans of other sports who might be tempted to taken in EL as a 2nd sport is at least some small part of the reason why Irish soccer is the minority sport it is in this country.

Réiteoir
14/12/2007, 11:42 PM
I knew this case was on going but i never figured out what TDs argument was. Would someone fill me in breifly if theyve time please and thanks :confused:
Well done the Hoops. Another victory for the common Man :)

in a nutshell:

"Some evil exponents of the "British Game" are having the temerity of trying to setup properly in our back yard, corrupting the pure Youth of this Nation, and we want it stopped by any means necessary"

Toys. Pram. Out of.

Also something about being the last men standing

HolylandsMan
14/12/2007, 11:48 PM
I knew this case was on going but i never figured out what TDs argument was. Would someone fill me in breifly if theyve time please and thanks

That, given the unprecedented percentage level of public funding going into Tallaght as supposedly a "community stadium", that it should be used for all sports played in the community, including the GAA and that the pitch dimensions should take account of this.

Otherwise (and as the court has decided), the stadium is effectively for the sole use of Shamrock Rovers. In which case other GAA, soccer and rugby clubs can rightfully wonder what is so special about Rovers and why haven't other clubs had a stadium built for them without having to put in the majority of funds themselves?

And before anybody goes on a Croke Park rant - the GAA funded the majority of the re-development themselves getting government grants towards a project.

The level of government intervention and subvention is this case is entirely unprecedented.

Dodge
15/12/2007, 12:58 AM
That, given the unprecedented percentage level of public funding going into Tallaght as supposedly a "community stadium", that it should be used for all sports played in the community, including the GAA and that the pitch dimensions should take account of this.

I'm no Rovers sympathiser BUT "unprecedented levels of public funding" is a ridiculous claim given that the tax payer is paying more towards the "expenses" of GAA players than it will towards the stadium

Otherwise (and as the court has decided), the stadium is effectively for the sole use of Shamrock Rovers. In which case other GAA, soccer and rugby clubs can rightfully wonder what is so special about Rovers and why haven't other clubs had a stadium built for them without having to put in the majority of funds themselves?
The ground is not for the sole use of Shamrock Rovers. They will be the main tenant but they are limited in the amount of games they play there. The rest will be decided by the Council

The level of government intervention and subvention is this case is entirely unprecedented.
The government made ONE decision, and that was to agree to a proposal set to them by South Dublin County Council. All they did after that was effectively, stand their ground.

Billy Lord
15/12/2007, 1:19 AM
I've never particularly hidden the fact that I'm a GAA man first and foremost. Ask Maribor to confirm if you want. That said, I've recently strarted going to, and enjoying, Eircom League soccer.

I'll change the avatar if you want but might I suggest that this sort of attitude towards fans of other sports who might be tempted to taken in EL as a 2nd sport is at least some small part of the reason why Irish soccer is the minority sport it is in this country.

You're more than welcome at football, I'm delighted you enjoy it, but the GAA practices sporting apartheid on a daily basis throughout Ireland and that carries an obvious cache, no matter how much people try to ignore that reality.
No other sport has rules such as the GAA's that forbid the playing of so-called 'foreign' games on their hallowed turf.
By the way, football isn't a minority sport in Ireland. It's quite the opposite.

Billy Lord
15/12/2007, 1:28 AM

And before anybody goes on a Croke Park rant - the GAA funded the majority of the re-development themselves getting government grants towards a project.

And if you know anything about the grants system, you must realise that you're talking rubbish. Most clubs get 80-90% funding if they play it right. Therefore you're just being bitter over less than 10% in the case of Shamrock Rovers, whose current board would have gladly gone the normal route if allowed because the club would've been able to maximise potential income from that site.
No doubt the Dubs would return all grants if they made a killing from selling Parnell Park for 1000% of its cost.

deFaoite
15/12/2007, 1:34 AM

You're not too familiar with the case I take it. The guarantors given to the club at the start of the hearing were individuals not the GAA club.

deFaoite
15/12/2007, 1:45 AM

I can't decide if you're winding us up or just believe all the GAA propaganda? :-)

All sports? Where does the athletics track go? Oh that's right you can't fit a senior GAA pitch into an athletics track. So the all sports argument really just means intercounty GAA.

Rovers get to use the ground for 40 games a year, and have to pay for it though sharing advertising revenue. SDCC own and run the ground so they decide who uses it the rest of the time. Other soccer teams, junior GAA, junior rugby, whatever game can use the area will be able to apply to SDCC to use it.

Slán

Billy Lord
15/12/2007, 1:59 AM

I could be here all night responding to you. A community stadium is - by definition - a stadium that can be accessed and used by the public, so its primary or ultimate function is irrelevant once it's got a relatively open door policy. Therefore its dimensions need not be big enough to facilitate senior GAA games, although it must be said that the Tallaght stadium will facilitate junior GAA games and Shamrock Rovers welcomes such activity.
You mention 'all sports'. What about athletics? A running track can't fit into a GAA-sized facility. And how about swimming, cricket or Horseracing?
I'd welcome a handball alley on the site. It's a great Irish sport that the GAA have ignored for decades but as there's no money in it they've chosen to let it become virtually redundant. Hurling - another great game - is shamefully neglected and is dying.
God almighty, where would we be without the GAA.

khoop
15/12/2007, 5:47 AM
Anyone who thinks that the bigots are hard done by needs to take a look at this:

http://193.178.1.186/grants_funding/2007_sportgrants.html

They are so obsessed with grabbing as much funding as possible to build needless facilities in every feckin' corner of the country that it's a wonder they ever find time to play their "games".

deFaoite
15/12/2007, 9:46 AM
All sports? Where does the athletics track go? Oh that's right you can't fit a senior GAA pitch into an athletics track. So the all sports argument really just means intercounty GAA.

Actually if you want proof of that this is from the TD press release yesterday, which incidentally was jointly issued by TD and the DCB (the true extent of the GAA's involvement is coming out now to show what we've known all along - this whole affair has had DCB & Jones Rd. behind it.):

Use of Tallaght Stadium, on the other hand, serves the GAA's ambition to have a suitable venue available to facilitate and promote inter-county games at all levels on the south side of Dublin.

It's not nor ever was about 'all-sports' it's about the GAA wanting to have a ground redesigned and handed to them for their exclusive use as a a southside Parnell Park. The irony of course being that the government has repeatedly offered to help them fund such a project but that's not good enough for them. Grab All Association.

Tony_Montana
15/12/2007, 11:01 AM
Real Shame that all sports can not be played in this venue, i fear we have taken a step back as a country.

HolylandsMan
15/12/2007, 11:11 AM
And if you know anything about the grants system, you must realise that you're talking rubbish. Most clubs get 80-90% funding if they play it right.

Certainly not the experience we've had, albeit in North and I sincerely doubt those percentages

football isn't a minority sport in Ireland. It's quite the opposite.

League of Ireland football certainly is and that's what the discussion was about.

Therefore its dimensions need not be big enough to facilitate senior GAA games, although it must be said that the Tallaght stadium will facilitate junior GAA games and Shamrock Rovers welcomes such activity.

Ok then, what other sports have been earmarked to be played in Tallaght? Have they been approached? How many have expressed an interest in using the facilities and how often is it expected that the stadium will be used other than for Shamrock Rover's matches? (Genuine questions)

What about athletics?

Is there as demand in the Tallaght area for an atlethics track? |If so, it should soemthing that is looked into.

It's a great Irish sport that the GAA have ignored for decades but as there's no money in it they've chosen to let it become virtually redundant.

No its become "virtually redundant" because people aren't as interested in playing and watching it as other GAA sdports. It still receives a lot of attention from the GAA.

They are so obsessed with grabbing as much funding as possible to build needless facilities in every feckin' corner of the country

Imagine providing needless facilities for sport in all those wee village round the country. Sure they probably have a town within 40 miles most of them. Better still, why don't they all just move to Dublin. Bleedin culchies.

It's not nor ever was about 'all-sports' it's about the GAA wanting to have a ground redesigned and handed to them for their exclusive use as a a southside Parnell Park.

When have the GAA ever asked for the exclusive use of Tallaght?

Despite all of the above, I do think its right that Shamrock Rovers have a home. I just think, and most GAA people agree, that they should have had to go about it in the same way as every other sporting organisation in the country has to.

I'm not a member of Thomas Davis so i don't know what their motivation was. People on here have said that they simply didn't want Rovers in Tallaght. I don't believe that however if it were true, I would lose all sympathy for them. I think they have fought for a principle and lost. At times their behaviour wasn't the greatest (e.g. the banning of John O'Donoghue), however they were right to contest the principle.

I hope Rovers enjoy the use of the South Dublin County Council's stadium.

Tony_Montana
15/12/2007, 11:12 AM
Certainly not the experience we've had, albeit in North and I sincerely doubt those percentages

League of Ireland football certainly is and that's what the discussion was about.

Ok then, what other sports have been earmarked to be played in Tallaght? Have they been approached? How many have expressed an interest in using the facilities and how often is it expected that the stadium will be used other than for Shamrock Rover's matches? (Genuine questions)

Is there as demand in the Tallaght area for an atlethics track? |If so, it should soemthing that is looked into.

No its become "virtually redundant" because people aren't as interested in playing and watching it as other GAA sdports. It still receives a lot of attention from the GAA.

Imagine providing needless facilities for sport in all those wee village round the country. Sure they probably have a town within 40 miles most of them. Better still, why don't they all just move to Dublin. Bleedin culchies.

Despite all of the above, I do think its right that Shamrock Rovers have a home. I just think, and most GAA people agree, that they should have had to go about it in the same way as every other sporting organisation in the country has to.

I'm not a member of Thomas Davis so i don't know what their motivation was. People on here have said that they simply didn't want Rovers in Tallaght. I don't believe that however if it were true, I would lose all sympathy for them. I think they have fought for a principle and lost. At times their behaviour wasn't the greatest (e.g. the banning of John O'Donoghue), however they were right to contest the principle.

Are Derry City fans the most boring people on this planet ?

khoop
15/12/2007, 11:16 AM
Real Shame that all sports can not be played in this venue, i fear we have taken a step back as a country.

Real shame that the GAA hoovers up so much grant money to pump into grounds all over the country that are full maybe once a year - yet not even an occasional rugby game can be played in them. What a complete waste of money. Bigoted organisations should be barred from receiving funding.

As far as I'm concerned, the GAA can play in Tallaght Stadium as often as they want - they just can't destroy it as a soccer venue.

sniffa
15/12/2007, 11:23 AM
Reading the arguements against Rovers and the enlightened responses puts the greed of the GAA into perspective.
It seems that the dark days of the GAA are are still being worshiped by the few backward bigots that still exist.

Maybe sometime in the near future County will tread the turf of " The Bigot Bowl" as we seem to be your feeder club.:D

Tony_Montana
15/12/2007, 11:26 AM
I love soccer and would not consider myself a bigot, but i have to admit to mainly being a EPL fan ! better football better stadia and better atmosphere !

Red4Eva
15/12/2007, 11:34 AM
I love soccer and would not consider myself a bigot, but i have to admit to mainly being a EPL fan ! better football better stadia and better atmosphere !

how have u not been banned yet?

Tony_Montana
15/12/2007, 11:39 AM
how have u not been banned yet?

I don't understand why anything i wrote could be offensive to any sane Irish person !

mypost
15/12/2007, 11:43 AM
better football better stadia. and better atmosphere !

Sorry?? :confused:

Better football. I take it you mean "Grand Slam Sunday" as the host broadcaster have marketed it? What about Fulham-Derby? Sunderland-Everton, Middlesbrough-West Ham?? :confused:

Better atmosphere. You're having a laugh, the atmosphere at most EPL games is as much as in a phone box. OT isn't called the "theatre of Silence" for nothing, you know.

Better stadia?

Fulham?? Kip
Everton?? Kip
Villa?? Kip
Portsmouth?? Kip
Blackburn?? Kip
Birmingham?? Kip

Then again, you meant Anfield and OT, didn't you?

pete
15/12/2007, 11:48 AM

There are many GAA stadiums build on public land with substantial public funding - i suppose if you want to share them.

Good news for Rovers. Should never have delayed in the first place.

Tony_Montana
15/12/2007, 11:49 AM
Sorry?? :confused:

Better football. I take it you mean "Grand Slam Sunday" as the host broadcaster have marketed it? What about Fulham-Derby? Sunderland-Everton, Middlesbrough-West Ham?? :confused:

Better atmosphere. You're having a laugh, the atmosphere at most EPL games is as much as in a phone box. OT isn't called the "theatre of Silence" for nothing, you know.

Better stadia?

Fulham?? Kip
Everton?? Kip
Villa?? Kip
Portsmouth?? Kip
Blackburn?? Kip
Birmingham?? Kip

Then again, you meant Anfield and OT, didn't you?

Ewood Park goood ground, Goodison Park Home of the great catholic club of Liverpool great stadia, Anfield great Stadia although to many Irish over there. Old Trafford great Stadia, Villa Park great stadia. What eircom league even gets 7k (about half of the lowest prem crowd this season) ?

I have been in those grounds and they are great stadia. Eircom league is a rubbish league when you compare it to, i would rather go and watch Divsion 2 games than Bray v Shamrock Rovers or Bray v Cobh etc. I have no times for one man and his dog type games !

DiscoPants
15/12/2007, 11:58 AM
TD are considering an appeal. Anyone know what avenues of appeal would be open to them at this stage given that it was a Judicial review?

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Other-sports/2007/12/14/GAA-Thomas-Davis-consider-judgement-appeal/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/gaa/

OneRedArmy
15/12/2007, 11:58 AM
I have no times for one man and his dog type games !I have no time for (keyboard) warrior muppets. Shut the door on your way out.

osarusan
15/12/2007, 11:59 AM
I don't understand why anything i wrote could be offensive to any sane Irish person !

Really??

Are Derry City fans the most boring people on this planet ?

Eircom league is a rubbish league

I have no times for one man and his dog type games !

Well then **** off.

EDIT: It seems the noble warrior has lost his battle against the evildoers at foot.ie and been handed a (hopefully permanent) suspension.

deFaoite
15/12/2007, 12:00 PM

Junior GAA anyway. Afaik this has been discussed with the local GAA clubs including TD by meetings with SDCC and in Rovers meeting with TD.

The response at the meeting between TD & Rovers was that this was not enough and TD wanted it for inter county games.

Some members of other GAA clubs that I know think it will be a very suitable venue for junior games with the original design. It's relatively small capacity and having the crowd (ok parents!) closer to the action would be better than using a larger senior GAA stadium.

I'm sure that once the ground is finished that we'll see junior GAA in there quickly. Hey, there might even be a Rovers junior GAA team at some stage!

As for how often it will get used. Every other weekend during the season will be free I suppose. Also thanks to the summer league the ground will not be used by Rovers from around November to March which fits very nicely with use by school sports. I don't think SDCC will have a problem filling up the calendar!

Once its built I think we'll see other uses cropping up. For example can you imagine it being converted to an ice rink over Christmas?!

I hope Rovers enjoy the use of the South Dublin County Council's stadium.I'm sure they will. Just like Roma and Lazio enjoy the use of the Municipality of Rome's stadium, Hammarby do in Stockholm etc. etc. Teams renting grounds off local authorities is very common elsewhere. In Ireland this concept seems strange for some reason.

passerrby
15/12/2007, 12:23 PM
i dont think tallagh would have suited the gaa as it does not facilate easy access to the pitch by the subs , selectors and supporters to the post match attack on the officials and players

spaceghost
15/12/2007, 12:44 PM
well done to rovers, hopfully this great club can at last have the home it deserves.
and shame on the bitter,fashist GAA, for its pathetic carry on.

sniffa
15/12/2007, 2:48 PM
Does anyone know what type of playing surface is planned for the stadium?
If its to be used on a very regular basis then an all-weather surface should be looked at, similar to what Dundalk have.

HulaHoop
15/12/2007, 2:55 PM
Does anyone know what type of playing surface is planned for the stadium?
If its to be used on a very regular basis then an all-weather surface should be looked at, similar to what Dundalk have.

The pitch and drainage was layed five years ago. It's a normal grass pitch.

Billy Lord
15/12/2007, 3:48 PM

Real shame the GAA is such a bigoted organisation that its constitution bans so-called 'foreign' games from their blessed turf.

Billy Lord
15/12/2007, 4:13 PM

1: you don't know about the grants system in this country? Fair enough.
2: there is no such sport as 'League of Ireland football'. There is association football, or football as it's commonly known, which is the most popular sport in the Republic of Ireland. It predates gaelic football in this country, by the way - so much for it being a 'foreign' game.
3: stadium usage is a matter for the SDCC as it's their stadium.
4: if an athletics track is required in Tallaght, perhaps the SDCC could take back one or two of Thomas Davis' unused pitches and make use of wasted resources.
5: Stevie Wonder could see what Thomas Davis (fronting for the GAA) were up to - a land grab. They lost and may some day the GAA will realise and accept that this country and its people aren't their personal playthings.
6: thanks for hoping Rovers 'enjoy the use of the South Dublin County Council's stadium'. We'll certainly do our best.

dubman
15/12/2007, 4:22 PM
well done, A good day for all for real football,as for this:
4: if an athletics track is required in Tallaght, perhaps the SDCC could take back one or two of Thomas Davis' unused pitches and make use of wasted resources

Tallght Ac allready have a 400m track we are looking at upgrading it now. Its beside the astropark. our xmas party is tonight.

well done again. Look forward to seeing pats playing away and winning in tallght!!

mypost
15/12/2007, 4:54 PM
Look forward to seeing pats playing away and winning in tallght!!

We also look forward to winning the West Dublin derby in our new home. :)

alabama rover
15/12/2007, 5:41 PM

During this process TD stated that they wanted access to the Stadium so that "the youth of Tallaght would not be subjected to a diet of Association Football"

There is much more of this type of rhetoric in the record also. Draw your own conclusions

Erstwhile Bóz
15/12/2007, 6:13 PM
It predates gaelic football in this country, by the way - so much for it being a 'foreign' game.
That doesn't necessarily follow.

Closing Time
15/12/2007, 7:36 PM

Whats the shame in that. Is it not that, no GAA club are willing to share their pitches. The TD's/Dublin GAA action was disgraceful, and for one sporting body trying to stop another set up in their area shows that they have no confidence in their own games. Well done to Rovers lets hope you can grow your fan base and improve your playing pitches for your Youth teams.

micls
15/12/2007, 7:45 PM

Yep. It'd be far better if we could accomodate football, GAA, rugby, cricket, swimming, athletics, golf etc. etc.

Unfortunately its just not possible to accommodate all of them in a timely and money saving manner.

Were going well that Football, Rugby and GAA can be played there though :ball:

Billy Lord
16/12/2007, 12:18 AM
That doesn't necessarily follow.

How is football 'foreign' if it's been played here since the 1870s? It's been part of the fabric of Irish sporting life for generations. And is it regarded as 'foreign' in Italy, Germany or Spain? No.
Putting borders on such a global activity is nonsense. Are films 'foreign'? The same could be said of books, TV, coal, tea and even the beloved internet.
Unlike other sporting bodies, the GAA bans certain games from its playing fields for no other reason than it regards them as foreign. Just because we, as a nation, have largely ignored or accepted such sporting apartheid doesn't make it right, justified or true.
Besides, who gave the GAA the right to determine what's an Irish sport and what's not? Football's my sport and I'm no less Irish than any GAA member.:cool: