PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Discussion

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Colm
01/05/2003, 2:11 PM
Originally posted by Scotsman
Stop giving the Irish Celtic fans a hard time.

No, they deserve a lot harder time than they are getting if you ask me. The only support Celtic because they think it makes them patriotic Irish wannabe republicans and anti-British. The idiots fail to see the irony, they are supporting a British club in order to make themselves more Irish. :rolleyes:

sadloserkid
01/05/2003, 2:22 PM
So what? Any floating Celtic fans aren't going to enticed into Turners X after reading this thread. It's no good just telling them "Oh, you don't even see the irony... you're such an idiot compared to an enlightened chap like myself..." Anybody who supports a non-Irish club over an Irish club is being stupid yes. Telling them that they're stupid is an equally stupid act, a smalltime response. We should be looking at showing them why our league is worthy of attention not undermining other leagues that they take an interest in. Abusing people is simply cutting off your nose to spite your face and I'm amazed that some otherwise intelligent posters here don't see that! And we wonder why the FAI is run by idiots... :rolleyes:

Gary
01/05/2003, 2:28 PM
I reckon most of them are to be pitied.

sadloserkid
01/05/2003, 2:29 PM
Originally posted by GWA
I reckon most of them are to be pitied.

I'd agree with that but picking on them won't win many over!

Scotsman
01/05/2003, 3:59 PM
Hey Neil you are a plonker aren't you

Fúck the WestBrit bartsards

You stupid wee boy.

Before criticising anyone else, take a long hard look at yourself!!

Do you really believe your team will ever be as good as Celtic FC.

Come on - Get real.

UCD_4_Life
01/05/2003, 7:25 PM
Hey Neil you are a plonker aren't you

Fúck the WestBrit bartsards

You stupid wee boy.

Before criticising anyone else, take a long hard look at yourself!!

Come on - Get real.

Irish football has just as much - if not more - potential than Scottish football (especially in it's current average foreigner drenched state). We've got talented youngsters coming through (maybe they don't stay here long but at least they are coming) on a yearly basis and it will continue that way because they actually get a chance. Some of the continental crap playing for Scottish teams (Celtic and Rangers included) is shocking and is bleeding the league dry.

Also we've got a competitive league which is in some way marketable rather than the predictable Celtic-Rangers show with four meaningful games per season in the league.

Also less of the insults. If someone is calling you names then report it to one of the mods or something, calling people "plonkers" and "stupid" isn't going to help you much around here.

A face
02/05/2003, 1:06 AM

Scaughtsman .... Listen up.

They will always always .... FOREVER ...... be more Irish than Sell-Thick, never forget that my fiend, never forget it.

I still dont believe you are Scaughtish !!

Neil
02/05/2003, 2:26 AM
C'mon Porto.....

Please beat them bigoted *******s.

Neil
02/05/2003, 2:28 AM
Do you really believe your team will ever be as good as Celtic FC
Bobo Balde
Rab Douglas
Neil Lennon...

Names to strike fear into anyone!

Gwanawaya****in******ya

Niamh_GalwayGal
02/05/2003, 5:48 PM
Originally posted by GWA
Oh my God, unless im completely missing the point, this lady here has just typified every "Irish" Celtic "supporting" fan there is.

Congrats.

:rolleyes:

o grand i'll wear my Galway united jersey to the next game and keep quiet except for critising the irish team will i you muppet
"Irish"??
"Supporting"??
har-lar-ious. sarcasism is the lowest form of wit

do u wanna tell me what wrong with wearing a green jersey to an ireland match? I "support" celtic coz my father is scottish & he's a lifelong fan, also I like their players and (most of the time....) their style of play. Oh yeah i forgot it's wrong to support a team unless you live there. Coz that isn't bigoted at all at all...

Scotsman
03/05/2003, 10:54 AM
The only reason I dished out the insults is because Neil is so insulting and talks ****.

No offence to anyone else.

The Scottish game is still better marketed due to the standard of years ago

I don't care who supports the Hoops - I do and that's all that matters.

Slag Celtic all you want - Slag the Scottish league all you want - That's your perogative.

How many Irish teams have won Europe??

Our game at the moment is crap - Granted.

It'll get better as BIG changes need to happen.

How many Scottish teams have either won or been in European finals compared to Irish ones??

As for being Scottish - Well believe what you want - Can tell you anything you need to know about my Scottish life.

Thanks

Colm
03/05/2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Niamh_GalwayGal
I like their players

What players would they be, Celtic Bigots have so many talented, stylish footballers, don't they? Oh no thats right they don't, they only have one decent player, Henrik Larrsson, and he's retiring in a year so then they will be well and truly fcuked!

Niamh_GalwayGal
03/05/2003, 2:11 PM
Originally posted by Colm
What players would they be, Celtic Bigots have so many talented, stylish footballers, don't they? Oh no thats right they don't, they only have one decent player, Henrik Larrsson, and he's retiring in a year so then they will be well and truly fcuked!

em, dider agathe, bobo balde, john hartson, neil lennon (well.....sometimes).........etc. It's your opinion that they've one decent player, I could easily same the same thing about Van Nistlerooy or Glen Crowe...or at the mo jayo byrne, does that make em all bad teams? If everyone is into this "don't be a glory-hunting fan" why are you so caught up in the fact that celtic only have one decent player as you put it. So what if Larssn retires next season does that mean we cant support them anymore

Colm
03/05/2003, 3:34 PM
em, dider agathe, bobo balde, john hartson, neil lennon

LOL:D :D :D

Scotsman
03/05/2003, 4:00 PM
Hey Niamh_GalwayGal there's NO point in arguing with these guys are they are more obsessed with Celtic than anyone.

Jealousy is a terribe thing.

They think they know Celtic - I don't think so.

C'Mon the Bhoys.

Niamh_GalwayGal
03/05/2003, 4:37 PM
yeah scots im beginning to realise that. guess i'll just go back to watching sport without deconstrucing it all...wonder what thats like. Funny how I'm "Irish" when most of you guys wouldn't ba able to name one gaa player. Really I've been disappointed in this forum, I though it would be a place for irish fans to post without bigotry, instead it's all this sarcastic elitist sexist stuff. Ah well.

UCD_4_Life
03/05/2003, 5:14 PM

Jealousy is a terribe thing.

So is ignorance...

UCD_4_Life
03/05/2003, 5:25 PM
yeah scots im beginning to realise that. guess i'll just go back to watching sport without deconstrucing it all...wonder what thats like. Funny how I'm "Irish" when most of you guys wouldn't ba able to name one gaa player. Really I've been disappointed in this forum, I though it would be a place for irish fans to post without bigotry, instead it's all this sarcastic elitist sexist stuff. Ah well.

The thing is - I gave GAA a chance.

When I was younger I played and watched a lot of GAA (it's actually indirectly related to my support of U.C.D.) before deciding that it wasn't for me. I don't like the sport and that's just it not because it's "$hite" or anything like that it's just not for me.

The vast majority don't give Irish football a chance they have inherited opinions that Irish football is inferior and is no better than their local pub team (as one person put it to me). Some may have went to one, maybe two games and decided this but to actually gauge the quality of a team/league you need to go to at least 10 or 15 games. Most people haven't done this.

Niamh_GalwayGal
03/05/2003, 6:26 PM
ok ok i stand corrected.
well i did say "most"....

Éanna
03/05/2003, 7:26 PM
So are you judging everyone on that basis??
I think the point is Scotsman, that most "Irish" celtic fans fall into this category.

I'll give you an example.I'm a city fan, first and foremost. Go to games home and away; which is what fans do, right? I DO have a soft spot for Celtic and Real Madrid. Real because i have friends in Spain, and Celtic because of the passion of their fans. But if either of the two came up against any Irish side, I would support the Irish side. WHat really bugs the cr@p outta me is fellas alking around in Ireland wearing Celtic tops going on about "we this" and "we that" when talking about a club in Glasgow. Most of these jokers have never been to Celtic games, or games in this country, but courtesy of tv, sneer at domestic soccer.

I have no problem with Celtic. The fans who fill parkhead and travel across Europe in their thousands are among the wrolds best. Martin O'neill strikes me as a lovely guy, and a great manager. Some of the players are great to watch- agathe, larsson.... jinky johnstone (goin back a bit now!) My problem, andi think the problem of most people who have posted here, is "irish" people deciding to support celtic as if they grew up down the road from paradise, without ever giving a thought to ur own league.

Scotsman
07/05/2003, 10:42 AM
I understand this and I always acknowledged this.

I have spoken with a few of you guys and most of you are sound.

Some however are not even willing to give me a chance to debate this.

Some call me a west brit b@st@rd - This is offensive and as a Scotsman I don't consider myself to be British - As far as I'm concerned British is English - This may be wrong but hey it's my view.

Anyway regardless of differences that we have I genuinely would like to see Irish and Scottish Football get amazing.

Thanks

Neil
07/05/2003, 11:21 AM
Some call me a west brit b@st@rd
nobody called you that.
that's reserved for the Irish people who "support" british teams

Scotsman
07/05/2003, 12:45 PM
Ok let's out it behind us now anyway.

Sick of all this arguing!!

:(

Niamh_GalwayGal
09/05/2003, 7:48 PM
d'yall hear bout neil lennon!

EireBadBoy
10/05/2003, 2:48 AM
Exactly! NO ******* IRISH PERSON IS BUYING INTO THE SCOTTISH SECTARIAN FRANCHISE OF THE AUL' FIRM UNLESS THEY HAVE HIDDEN AGENDAS!!

Answer me this and answer me nothing more....Why are Celtic and Rangers the Best (Well, not Best, but most) suported teams in Scotland?? Purely because of the stupid, bigotted Irish People that feel the necessity to go to Scotland (Here! Yer leaving yer Homeland to support a British Team ?) and live off the Prods/Taigs bull that has been born and bred of years of hatred!

Gone Stop! Look at yerself! Yer Irish, support an Irish Team, sorry for you that yer Local team might not wear Green and White but the Team in Red/White/Black/Blue is more Irish than Celtic and you are annoying my tits! Buckin' idiots! Support Irish, not Sectarian Irish............Buck! Probably too dumb to understand that!

I HATE CELTIC, I HATE RANGERS, I HATE FOOLS! TOO MANY STUPID PEOPLE!

A face
10/05/2003, 2:20 PM
I have spoken with a few of you guys and most of you are sound.

I have spoke to you and i dont think you are sound.

Sell-Thick Scum.

Niamh_GalwayGal
10/05/2003, 5:12 PM
deres so many muppets in da world, no wonder da sales of velcro shoes are so high

A face
10/05/2003, 10:06 PM
deres so many muppets in da world, no wonder da sales of velcro shoes are so high

You are dead right Niamh !!

Basketball is for Muppets ..... you muppets !!

You told them Niamh !!

Niamh_GalwayGal
11/05/2003, 9:42 AM
yeah weird i actually do hate basketball, its all score, score,score, opps someone fell, score, score.....also had a bad experience in 1st class involving my head and someone else's basketball....couldn't do maths for a week afterwards...

sadloserkid
12/05/2003, 8:36 AM
Stop ragging on basketball kids!!! :mad: ;)

eoinh
12/05/2003, 12:39 PM
Niamh as a Galway Girl im sure you must look forward to the day when all of Galways GAA players play for Mayo clubs. For the day when galway people look down on their own county and support Mayo in the championship. For the day when no-one supports Galway in galway but goes to Mayo to support them. When people turn their backs on Galway in Galway and watch Mayo on TV. When proud Galway people wear the Mayo colours with pride all over Galway. If you try to explain to them "we can be as good as Mayo if not better". Im Galway and proud you say. But they just laugh at you and say "i maybe from Galway but i support Mayo and ild never support my home county- thats daft". "Sure, ive been to Charlestown in Mayo and its great, ild be daft to support Galway".
Sounds horrendous Niamh. Yes, it is!

As the song goes "Welcome to my world" :mad:

Scotsman
12/05/2003, 6:34 PM
Hey you ya d*ck.

You're an idiot - You're not worth talking to:mad:

A face
13/05/2003, 12:35 AM
Hey you ya d*ck.

You're an idiot - You're not worth talking to:mad:

Oooh yawn yawn yawn ........... so so tired, yawn .... Yeah so Sell-thick are so cra zzzzzZZZZ ZZZ ZZZZ ZZZZ ZZZ

A face
13/05/2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by eoinh
"Sure, ive been to Charlestown in Mayo and its great, ild be daft to support Galway".

Hey Eoin .... are you trying to say there is something wrong with supporting Mayo. I mean ever since i was born i supported Mayo, the nurse in the hospital, her flatmates neighbour drove through Mayo on the way to work and ever since then when ever i eat sandwich with Mayonnaise

(get it ..... "Mayo" - nnaise, "Mayo" .... do you know what i mean, the first four letters in Mayonnaise are the same as "Mayo", i mean, if that is not reason enough to support them then i dont know what is)

I think of Mayo and how proud i am to support them. After all ... you know what they say, Mayo is thicker than blood.

It just brings a tear to my eye ..... Oh sweet sweet Mayo.

** Adam, is there any chance we can get a smilie to represent unbridaled pride and joy for supporting a team from not where i am from **

foxymm
13/05/2003, 10:29 AM
It is an absolute disgrace the stuff that has been written about our fellow Irish and Celts of Glasgow. How do you call yourself Irish? I've never seen such rubbish written by so-called 'Irish' of the republican rebel county. Whats up with the loads of Cork people coming onto the site blasting Celtic fans as "plastic paddies" and claiming that they don't support their local soccer team in the eircom league. This is pure and utter nonsense. I'm a celts fan along with alot of my mates and we have great pride in the national league and we support our local teams week in week out. So for those of you who use this site soley to attack Celtic and her fervent Irish Nationalistic sentiment, heritage and tradition do us a favour - stay off the site and join the orangemen at Drumcree. Im sure "sammy", "mervyn" and the boys will be delighted to have you seeing as you hate celtic.

True Bhoy Tir Chonaill

fonzi
13/05/2003, 11:25 AM
not every celtic -enjoying cork man and woman go out to support Cork City or Cobh Ramblers every weekend.
perhaps you are of a minority(which is blatently true)
well done.-i think thats great.
however.
many celtic fans of our county are disgustingly rasist even in times of football.
i.e. the disturbing images i often see when an old firm match is being played.
why would a cork man be so prejudiced against a team from scotland? and vermiosly support the other?
unfortunatly over the past few years, the Irish have been seen as a racist country. and it's through football that this is most prophigated.
it's in fact, part of the footballing( externall intrest of other nations game) culture.

As an experiment I undertook during my time back in cork last summer.
i put on a rangers shirt and walked down patrick street to gauge(not provoke may i ad) the reaction i would get.
i was quite astonished at what happened.
people insulting me, very angry looks, hostile manouvers and general unfreindlyness at a high level.

unfortuantly i think that you,foxymm, are falling into this catagory for calling all irish non-celtic followers a disgrace to the county , the country and the ''cause'' of celtic football club and resorting to such comments as

''stay off the site and join the orangemen at Drumcree. Im sure "sammy", "mervyn" and the boys will be delighted to have you seeing as you hate celtic.''

thats pretty poor.remember politics and sport should never mix.and i believe it is on this idea that so many irish enjoy celtic because of Celtics PRECIEVED hatred of the British and her intrests.

remember this however.
celtic market themselves on this all infallable celtic-irish group.
they make money off of it.never forget that at the end of the day they are making a lot ofmoney of people and they are laughing all the way to the bank. i thought only americans bought into that sort of an irish identity.

are WE having ,as a nation, an identity crisis?
do you hear of many english hating celtic because they are precieved to be an irish club?
i think not.
they actually dont care about it-they are more tollorable to such things because at the end of the day they know that both celtic and rangers ARE ACTUALLY SCOTTISH AND EQUALLY BRITISH.
i think some people should remember that.
i believe, as a country we are having an identity crisis.

pete
13/05/2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by foxymm
So for those of you who use this site soley to attack Celtic and her fervent Irish Nationalistic sentiment, heritage and tradition do us a favour - stay off the site and join the orangemen at Drumcree. Im sure "sammy", "mervyn" and the boys will be delighted to have you seeing as you hate celtic.

Hmmm...what has politics got to do with it.

Glasgow Celtic.
Scottish Premier League
Britian

Sid i miss the irish connection there somewhere?

fonzi
13/05/2003, 11:36 AM
theyre are many clubs in various sports that are proud of being forged by irishmes and women.
boston celtics are one .
do you see Irish people rampaging the streets because of the celtics lost to new jersey nets in the eastern confrence semi-finals?
i think not.
the same with panithanikos and others too., hibs and so forth.

colster
13/05/2003, 11:46 AM
Well put fonzi.

I think most people in Ireland who support Celtic do it because their greatest rival is a protestant club.

NO matter what these so called fans say about supporting their Irish culture, the fact remains is that they support Celtic out of hatred for Rangers.

If this were not true then they'd support Everton, Hibernian etc who are also founded by Irishmen.

colster
13/05/2003, 11:53 AM
ISo for those of you who use this site soley to attack Celtic and her fervent Irish Nationalistic sentiment, heritage and tradition do us a favour - stay off the site and join the orangemen at Drumcree. Im sure "sammy", "mervyn" and the boys will be delighted to have you seeing as you hate celtic.

Hem... that remark sounds like so much bigotry it's unbelievable and just confirms in my mind that most Celtic(& Rangers) supporters are bigotted, and whose primary motive for supporting Celtic is out of hatred for Rangers and their Protestant roots.

Deny it if you want but it's true.

Sport should be about supporting the efforts of your team rather than out of bigotry and hatred for another.

fonzi
13/05/2003, 11:56 AM
sometimes you have just gotta step back for a moment and review the situation of pop culture.

dahamsta
13/05/2003, 11:57 AM
Threads merged. Please don't start new threads just to rant about someone else's posts.

adam

Ash
13/05/2003, 12:00 PM
Panithanikos do not have Irish connections a.f.a.i.k.

They were founded by George Calafatis who was born in Athens.

The whole Shamrock crest so they must be Irish is rubbish as
from what I can remember, the trefoil or something as they
call it was drawn by George Hatzopoulos, head of the National
Gallery of Athens.

I could be wrong but I think it has something to do with the plant
grows in particular in that region and so it was choosen for the
crest.

fonzi
13/05/2003, 12:02 PM
sorry ash, sorry vetinari

foxymm
13/05/2003, 2:14 PM
Well you have to admit that the sport-politics-religion question is all related in Ireland, Scotland and elsewhere...and thats because of history. No matter how hard the sporting authorites try to break the whole connection, it will never happen, in my opinion anyhow. Its just like the attempts the government and others are doing to curb the 'drink culture' in Irish society. it will never work. Call me bigoted or whatever you like but i'm telling it how it is. And I dont think this connection will never disappear. Ye cork boys and whoever can have your romantic images of everything being rosey, friendly, discuss 'whatever bla bla bla. Colster can talk about celtic and rangers in bigotry terms and there's no denying the fact that there is hatred between the 2 teams. Its the situation and it because of the past. The past is our heritage. You cannot break with history and heritage. Its what make a nation unique. You dont just support a team on footballing merits. If that was the case everyone would support the big clubs. You have to have a passion for the team you support, have an 'identity' with that team and why you support them. We support the Irish national team because primarily we are Irish and we are passionate about the cause. They are representing our country and we are pround of that and want them to do well. I support celtic because they identify with and are primarily an irish-rooted club. The club was set up by an Irish priest to represent the catholic, irish immgrant community in Glasgow. I have passion for the club and their ideals and what they represent and their footballing credentials. I do not apologise for that in any way. Anyway time for REAL football SO support the celtic bhoys on their quest to win the UEFA cup (for those of you who support the club!) The forum is a football one not a celtic-bashing forum.

eoinh
13/05/2003, 3:40 PM
Well done Fonzi great read. One thing as Ash pointed out, Panathanaikos have no Irish connections. The Shamrock grows in many countries and regions and it is a symbol in Greece of prosperity.
The Guy who founded Panathanaikos was from Asia Minor where a lot of Greek speaking people live and used to live. I think he came from Armenia and moved to AThens.

To my Celtic "friend" above. Ireland has a long history and you obviously dont know it fully if you think its about being one particular religion. We are a republic and our flag has a meaning which you should learn.
There have been many great catholics in this countries struggle for freedom and many Catholics who were against this countries independence. And vice versa for Protestenism. England was roman Catholic when it invaded 800 years ago and the Pope gave his blessing to it. The Catholic church was for the Act of Union in 1801 with Britain
Hyde., Emmet, wolfe tone, Casement, half of the young irelanders, Gratton. Parnell, Isac Butt - all great irishman. All Protestant.
Next time youre singing "a nation once agian" :rolleyes: remember that the song was written by a Protestant from County Tip. Funny, my financee taught at an all-irish speaking protestant school. All fluent in Irish, all proud to be Irish. I wonder are you fluent in Irish?
Religion is the curse of this isle.

James
13/05/2003, 3:44 PM
Originally posted by fonzi
do you see Irish people rampaging the streets because of the celtics lost to new jersey nets in the eastern confrence semi-finals?

if you were there man, then you would have seen drunken UCC heads all over fanial hall area later that night kickin up a fuss :D

we was robbed i tell ya robbed
Paul Pierce for ireland ;)

pete
13/05/2003, 3:52 PM
Well you have to admit that the sport-politics-religion question is all related in Ireland, Scotland and elsewhere...and thats because of history. No matter how hard the sporting authorites try to break the whole connection, it will never happen, in my opinion anyhow.

Theres a difference between sporting hatred/rivalry & sectarianism & bigotry. This country is trying to move towards the future & not a past where 30k people died needlessly.

Call me bigoted or whatever you like but i'm telling it how it is.

Alright. :eek:

...there's no denying the fact that there is hatred between the 2 teams.

That exists between many clubs but it doesn't get to the stage where players are attacked on the street when "off duty"

Macy
13/05/2003, 3:59 PM
Religion is the curse of this isle.
Religion is the curse of this planet....

Next time youre singing "a nation once agian" remember that the song was written by a Protestant from County Tip
Or when singing "We're on the one road" that it's actually a first world war song of the Irish regiments in the British Army...

Niamh_GalwayGal
13/05/2003, 5:06 PM
Niamh as a Galway Girl im sure you must look forward to the day when all of Galways GAA players play for Mayo clubs. For the day when galway people look down on their own county and support Mayo in the championship. For the day when no-one supports Galway in galway but goes to Mayo to support them. When people turn their backs on Galway in Galway and watch Mayo on TV. When proud Galway people wear the Mayo colours with pride all over Galway. If you try to explain to them "we can be as good as Mayo if not better". Im Galway and proud you say. But they just laugh at you and say "i maybe from Galway but i support Mayo and ild never support my home county- thats daft". "Sure, ive been to Charlestown in Mayo and its great, ild be daft to support Galway".
Sounds horrendous Niamh. Yes, it is!

As the song goes "Welcome to my world" :mad:

?? ok ok, so i'm under the influence of antibiotics, and my brain is mush from double physix but i think u are comparing that to me supporting celtic? but sure can i not support galway AND mayo at the same time? im not a bigoted anti-brit im just sports mad, i go to Terryland and i watch soccer on tv all the time, and i've special interest for Celtic, etc. So can i not support em both, unless (o yeah so likely with our form now) we meet, whereupon im sure i'll support our boys. Jeez can't win with ye can i. Oh wait i know...

I ONLY LIKE SOCCER FOR THE CUTE PLAYERS!!!! YAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Huh betcha dont care about me liking celtic now