PDA

View Full Version : Back above Northern Ireland

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

gspain
14/02/2007, 11:01 AM
Only a little thing but we crept back above Northern Ireland in the latest FIFA ranking.

We're 46th they are 49th. Now to catch Tunisia, Mali and Slovakia.

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,131847,00.html?articleid=131847

shakermaker1982
14/02/2007, 11:16 AM
I can start gloating again to the missus. When she found out her nation had overtaken us she couldn't stop laughing! At least the world champions are number 1 - makes sense. Cannot see how ING GER LAND are above Portugal. A team thats beaten them twice in major competitions quite recently.

gustavo
14/02/2007, 11:34 AM
on penalties though so they dont technically count as victories.

liaml
14/02/2007, 11:43 AM
Couldn't give a rat's arse what position we are to the North TBH

NY Hoop
14/02/2007, 11:46 AM
Couldn't give a rat's arse what position we are to the North TBH

Exactly. Minnows like that get excited when their non country overtakes us. The rankings are a crock anyway.

KOH

Lionel Ritchie
14/02/2007, 12:03 PM
have they started dragging the river for Ealing Green yet?

Not a sign of him.;)

galwayhoop
14/02/2007, 12:07 PM
haven't heard from him but by his logic now there will be absolutely no talk about an All Island Team.

as_i_say
14/02/2007, 12:09 PM
we deserve it after our epic victory last week.

Wolfie
14/02/2007, 12:23 PM
we deserve it after our epic victory last week.

As Jackie Fullerton, BBC NI has often said - "The glory days are back!!".

as_i_say
14/02/2007, 12:43 PM
we're not brazil , we're the republic of ireland. :)

EalingGreen
14/02/2007, 12:57 PM
have they started dragging the river for Ealing Green yet?

Not a sign of him.;)

Well, I take my hat off to "Duh Gaffur" - he took a chance on playing San Marino in February and it's paid off handsomely! No doubt, last weeks triumph will not only herald the rise and rise of the ROI up the rankings, but I confidently expect they'll have San Marino close on their heels, since they are bound to prove a handful as the Qualifiers go on.

Anyway, must go now... ...can't keep head above water... ....struggling to breathe... glug, glug...............;)

Not Brazil
14/02/2007, 1:44 PM
Message from Northern Ireland fans:

"In Stan, We Trust".

:D

NY Hoop
14/02/2007, 1:54 PM

"In Stan, We Trust".

www.oneteaminireland.bravehost.com

KOH

galwayhoop
14/02/2007, 2:04 PM

"In Stan, We Trust".

ye are very much in a minority on that one and welcome to approach him :D

on a more serious note how many points do ye expect from yer fixtures in march:
Liechtenstein away &
Sweden at home

i think yer record against minnows is bad enough too (eg. v iceland last year) but i'm sure ye will beat the liechtensteiners but how will the sweden match go?

Not Brazil
14/02/2007, 2:14 PM
ye are very much in a minority on that one and welcome to approach him :D

on a more serious note how many points do ye expect from yer fixtures in march:
Liechtenstein away &
Sweden at home

i think yer record against minnows is bad enough too (eg. v iceland last year) but i'm sure ye will beat the liechtensteiners but how will the sweden match go?

We drew 0-0 last time we visted Vaduz...albeit in a friendly, under the guidance of "the special one" - Sammy Mac.

We had 27 fans at that game - as compared to the 2,500 who are making the trip this time. It'll be like a home game.

I think we'll win in Vaduz and draw against the Swedes in Belfast.

If we do get the win in Vaduz, Windsor Park will be electric for the Sweden game.

Our team is capable of winning both these games - it is equally capable of losing them both.

galwayhoop
14/02/2007, 2:41 PM
Our team is capable of winning both these games - it is equally capable of losing them both.

looks like we are in the same boat next month so

EalingGreen
14/02/2007, 2:43 PM
I think we'll win in Vaduz and draw against the Swedes in Belfast.

If we do get the win in Vaduz, Windsor Park will be electric for the Sweden game.

Don't discount the possibility of our losing in Vaduz and then beating the Swedes!

Seriously.

:cool:

Not Brazil
14/02/2007, 2:59 PM
Don't discount the possibility of our losing in Vaduz and then beating the Swedes!

Seriously.

:cool:

I know, EG.

Nothing, but nothing, surprises me when it comes to our lot.

Tell you what tho - two wins, and it's going to be one hell of an autumn.;)

EalingGreen
14/02/2007, 3:35 PM
I know, EG.

Nothing, but nothing, surprises me when it comes to our lot.

Tell you what tho - two wins, and it's going to be one hell of an autumn.;)

Aye, but two wins would make it a run of six unbeaten, five of them competitive and only two draws (one of those a friendly). Frankly, that might only be setting us up for a fall in the autumn (pun intended), since we're not that good.

Tbh, I'd bite your hand off for a win and a draw (either order). In fact, I'd even accept a good win in Vaduz and a fighting defeat v Sweden, since I think they're going to run away with the Group (i.e. we'd still have plenty to play for against the others)

galwayhoop
14/02/2007, 3:38 PM
forgive my pesimism but is this the calm before the storm ............ hope not. everyone seems very civil today

as_i_say
14/02/2007, 3:41 PM
in fairness i'm always surprised when the north win any game.

EalingGreen
14/02/2007, 6:28 PM
in fairness i'm always surprised when the north win any game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War
I think you'll find "the North" (aka The Union) won the ones that counted, despite the claims of their Rebel adversaries - www.south-will-rise-again.com

;)

eirebhoy
14/02/2007, 6:40 PM
You'll have to get over it some time. :) You're from the north of Ireland to most of us. ;)

tricky_colour
14/02/2007, 7:16 PM
We are back on the up :D
:confused:

EalingGreen
14/02/2007, 7:25 PM
You'll have to get over it some time. :) You're from the north of Ireland to most of us. ;)

Tell it to Donegal*. :cool:

(* - Well, it is the most northerly part of the Free State, isn't it?)

liaml
14/02/2007, 9:57 PM
Ealing Green Says NO!

JEZEBEL!

U L S T E R is the name!

No wait - only six of the nine counties are in Ulster.

Erm

N O R T H E R N I R E L A N D is the name!

Erm

No wait - the Northern most part of Ireland is Donegal

Um,

The erm - S I X C O U N T I E S!

Erm

Sounds too republican. Hmmm.

The - S I X M O S T N O R T H - E A S T E R L Y C O U N T I E S O F U L S T E R!

Too long winded.

Ahhh hell, the North it is .:p

sylvo
14/02/2007, 10:36 PM
Only a little thing but we crept back above Northern Ireland in the latest FIFA ranking.

We're 46th they are 49th. Now to catch Tunisia, Mali and Slovakia.

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,131847,00.html?articleid=131847

No this is a big thing getting back above Northern Ireland:rolleyes: , according to ourfakecountry they are our main rival:rolleyes: . They seem to get us confused with Mexico as well on that comic also.:confused:

co. down green
14/02/2007, 11:27 PM
As Jackie Fullerton, BBC NI has often said - "The glory days are back!!".

Jackie Fullerton is an arse all right and his son Darren is a bigger arse.

Not sure what his day job is, but writes an article for the 'Northern version' of the Daily Mirror on a Tuesday. Darren thinks Darron Gibson and the other Northern lads playing for Ireland are all a version of the Anti-Christ.

He’s a bit like Ealing green, obsessed with us rather than his own team. (Don’t take it to heart Ealing, just a bit of Belfast banter!)

From yesterday’s contribution “ When your holding out on Stephen Ireland, Anthony Stokes, Paul McShane, Stephen Quinn, Stephen Hunt & Shane Long as some form of golden generation, you truly are clutching at shillelaghs”

Personally, I think most of those named above (and others) have potentially, a great future (once Stan goes) and with most of them playing regular premiership football I would be a hell of a lot more confident than Darren Fullerton's teams' future success, most of whom play in the lower divisions and with the few premiership players in the squad, like Davis & Hughes lucky to make the Villa Subs bench on a weekly basis, I think they will be lucky to see to many more seasons of top flight football.

Leaving aside the shillelagh remark, Darren & Jackie need to be retired and a less partisan attitude adopted by (some) within the media in the north who realise that a big proportion of ‘us’ support Ireland.

Finally, Just to update Darren’s quote from his article yesterday “Today? Ireland are ranked 49th – lower than Uzbekistan, Ghana, Tunisia, Mali Cuba & Iran.

Well, Darren O’ Fullerton, begorrah, just to update you on today’s rankings –

All of us Belfast/Derry/Newry/Lurgan/Enniskillen/Omagh/Downpatrick/Portadown/Armagh/Coleraine boys are ranked 46th & the North are ranked 49th, so while we are both still ranked below, Ghana, Tunisia, Mali, Chile & Iran, at least we have both moved above Cuba & Uzbekistan.

What a success for football in Ireland !!!!

Perhaps we could have a 68 page discussion over on 'Are We A Country' about the pro's and con's of the potential of Uzbekistasn.

EalingGreen
15/02/2007, 9:47 AM
Ealing Green Says ....

.................................................. .

N O R T H E R N I R E L A N D .........................

.................................................. .....................

.................................................. .................................................. ............................

.................. it is .:p

Well, I suppose you got there in the end! ;)

P.S. In case of future difficulty, remember, "We're not Brazil, we're Northern Ireland (though it's all the same to me)" :cool:

EalingGreen
15/02/2007, 10:16 AM
No this is a big thing getting back above Northern Ireland:rolleyes: , according to ourfakecountry they are our main rival. They seem to get us confused with Mexico as well on that comic also.:confused:

No big thing getting back above NI - if you were allowed to play San Marino every match, that is!

And as for our "confusion" over Mexico, I think you'll find this is a reference to "South of the Border", a song written by Ulsterman Jimmy Kennedy. Although ostensibly a love song about an American who enjoys a brief flirtation with a Senorita down South, in reality, it is an Allegory of the dangers which can follow for a World Superpower should it get embroiled in the affairs of a Third World neighbour... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_of_the_Border_(1939_song)

South of the border, down Mexico way
That's where they fell in love
When stars above
Came out to play
And now as they wander, their thoughts ever stray

She was a picture in old Spanish lace
Just for a tender while
He kissed the smile
Upon her face
For it was "Fiesta" and they were so gay

Then she sighed as she whispered "mañana"
Never dreaming that they were parting
And he lied as he whispered "mañana"
For that tomorrow never came

South of the border, he rode back one day
There in a veil of white
By candlelight
She knelt to pray
The mission bells told him that he mustn't stay

Ay-ay-ay-ay, ay-ay-ay-ay
Ay-ay-ay-ay, ay-ay-ay-ay

"He lied as he whispered Manana" - What a Bast ard, eh? :D

as_i_say
15/02/2007, 10:24 AM
was ulsterman jimmy kenneddy from northern ireland or donegal monaghan or cavan now? NI fans are fond of chanting "ulster" at games in barbara windsor park. they must be confused as to the actual identity of ulster which is a province in ireland and not some invented non-state.

identity crisis bombs away.

Not Brazil
15/02/2007, 10:32 AM
was ulsterman jimmy kenneddy from northern ireland or donegal monaghan or cavan now? NI fans are fond of chanting "ulster" at games in barbara windsor park. they must be confused as to the actual identity of ulster which is a province in ireland and not some invented non-state.

identity crisis bombs away.

All six counties of Northern Ireland are within the Province of Ulster - therefore it is wholly appropriate to chant "Ulster" at Northern Ireland games -our Donegal born supporters like it too.

"Northern Ireland" can be a bit of a mouthful for some chants - you'll understand that point, given that ROI fans like to shorten things to "Ireland" -incidently, a not uncommon chant amongst Northern Ireland fans right up to the 1970's.

EalingGreen
15/02/2007, 11:02 AM
was ulsterman jimmy kenneddy from northern ireland or donegal monaghan or cavan now?

Jimmy Kennedy O.B.E. was from the Red Hand County, Co.Tyrone (or Co. Londontyrone, if you prefer ;) )

Jamjar
15/02/2007, 11:19 AM
Didn't he write the teddys bear picnic also. What a genius, better than Van Morrison and bobo put together.

Gather round
15/02/2007, 11:33 AM
We're not Brazil, we're Stan Stefano.

Why have Southern Ireland had delayed starts recently? Because no-one starts playing until five-to.

Wolfie
15/02/2007, 12:17 PM
Lawrie Sanchez for Mexico!!!!!

Reddladd
15/02/2007, 12:28 PM
Didn't he write the teddys bear picnic also. What a genius, better than Van Morrison and bobo put together.

You might get a late entry for post of the year with that. :D

youngirish
15/02/2007, 12:58 PM
All six counties of Northern Ireland are within the Province of Ulster - therefore it is wholly appropriate to chant "Ulster" at Northern Ireland games -our Donegal born supporters like it too.

In fairness now you don't have many of them.

geysir
15/02/2007, 1:29 PM
since we're not that good.
It's a measure of how far we have fallen that instead of losing FIFA points for only winning 2-1 against SM, we were already low enough to actually gain some co-efficients.
Don't forget, keep us informed of any good young prospects born in the North. The declaration door is always open.

EalingGreen
15/02/2007, 1:46 PM
It's a measure of how far we have fallen that instead of losing FIFA points for only winning 2-1 against SM, we were already low enough to actually gain some co-efficients.

Don't forget, keep us informed of any good young prospects born in the North. The declaration door is always open.

Unless you replace Stan ASAP, you might as well replace "have fallen" with "continue to fall".

As for the rest, people can "declare" all they like, but until FIFA determines, neither you nor I knows who's eligible and who's not.

(Anyhow, why only the "good" young prospects? If your present state of play is anything to go by, you should be glad of any of our cast-offs! ;) )

as_i_say
15/02/2007, 2:37 PM
that davies/davis lad is the only one i'd let near our team as sh!te awful as we may be right now

gustavo
15/02/2007, 2:50 PM
Jesus when will people realise it's not about indiviudals , sure the NI team mightnt earn as much as our players or play in as high profile clubs but they are a far better team than ours at the minute , all this condescending "I wouldnt take any of their players" attitude is pointless.

EalingGreen
15/02/2007, 3:10 PM
Jesus when will people realise it's not about indiviudals , sure the NI team mightnt earn as much as our players or play in as high profile clubs but they are a far better team than ours at the minute , all this condescending "I wouldnt take any of their players" attitude is pointless.

Which, although the likes of "As I Say" might not recognise or admit it :rolleyes: , is reflected in the difference between a moderate player in a crap Championship team (Healy) scoring a hattrick against Spain, and a top player in a decent Premiership side (Keane) scoring* a hattrick against San Marino.

Anyhow, from the severely depleted NI team that played Wales last Tuesday, Taylor, Hughes, Gillespie, Duff, and Davis would all have strolled into the ROI team the following night (not counting Healy, Johnson and Evans, who were injured).

* - Or missing a hattrick, as in the game out there ;)

geysir
15/02/2007, 3:28 PM
As for the rest, people can "declare" all they like, but until FIFA determines, neither you nor I knows who's eligible and who's not.
FIFA have determined what it takes to be eligible for an Irish citizen to change associations, it's just some commitee checks the validity of an application to change associations before approving the declaration. They couldn't possibly just take JD's word on it.

ifk101
15/02/2007, 3:48 PM
Anyhow, from the severely depleted NI team that played Wales last Tuesday, Taylor, Hughes, Gillespie, Duff, and Davis would all have strolled into the ROI team the following night (not counting Healy, Johnson and Evans, who were injured).

Let's not get carried away ....

paul_oshea
15/02/2007, 4:06 PM
gustavo agree with ye, it seems the west of ireland ppl have a little more thought about what they say... ;)

cavan_fan
15/02/2007, 4:11 PM

Imagine how bad the likes of Gillespie, Duff, Healy and Johnson would be if managed by Stan.

lopez
15/02/2007, 5:23 PM
Couldn't give a rat's arse what position we are to the North TBHExactly. Despite the best efforts of Ealing Green, I can't say that I've been moved into getting out my poncho and sombrero and shooting my two colts in the sky. He might think we're his biggest rivals. I prefer someone like England as ours. And unlike NI, we are still 22 years since they last beat us: Not 2 years.

We're not Brazil, we're Stan Stefano.

Why have Southern Ireland had delayed starts recently? Because no-one starts playing until five-to.Jaysus. :eek: I thought you were hibernating with the bears. I txtd you on tuesday as I was passing your old haunt in Titanic town on the bus up to the castle, but got no reply. :( I must say it makes what I grew up in as very des - res.

EalingGreen
15/02/2007, 6:06 PM
Originally Posted by EalingGreen

Let's not get carried away ....

Hardly.

Are you saying Taylor wouldn't have got in before Henderson?
Aaron Hughes has made over 250 Premiership appearances at full back or centre back, plus half as many again in cup matches and internationals. No room for him, eh?
Keith Gillespie, outstanding in NI's resurgence over the last three years, has been one of Sheffield Utd's best players in the Premiership this season.
Michael Duff (29) has made 350 League appearances, including 100 in the Championship for Burnley, where he is enjoying his best season at Centre Back. Or would you prefer Paul McShane?
Steve Davis: whatever O'Neill may think, absolute quality. Will make it to the top, whether at Villa or elsewhere.

youngirish
15/02/2007, 6:07 PM

Is that statement a joke or are you serious? Only Taylor and Davis would have got near our first 11 the rest wouldn't have a chance. Gillespie? Don't Stephen and Alan Quinn get their games at Sheffield Utd before him and neither get near our team. Healy? Morrison, Connolly, Stokes and Long are all doing better than him this season and the first two don't even get into our squad anymore.

Anyway, as they say, don't let the facts get in your way before posting one of those silly, biased, pro NI, EalingGreen statements we all know and love.