PDA

View Full Version : Back above Northern Ireland

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

lopez
20/02/2007, 10:54 AM
...I care not about your religious beliefs - I am one of the lucky ones who couldn't hold a discussion about the slight differences in teaching by very similar strands of exactly the same religion. I don't understand them, and I don't want to know about them.

Perhaps you use the term "bigot" in a different sense?You think that the thirty years of the troubles and the remaining existence of 'peace' lines is down to religion?

geysir
20/02/2007, 10:54 AM
Passport eligibility prior to the GFA was confined to those whose grandparent was born in Ireland prior to 1922 -
This is what I was writing about.
"The Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956 applied an entitlement to citizenship by birth to anyone born in Northern Ireland either before or after the coming into force of that Act. Anyone born in Northern Ireland on or before the 31 December 2004 is entitled to be an Irish citizen if they choose to be."

lopez
20/02/2007, 10:58 AM
...Why don't you write to FIFA, if you think Taylor is breaking the eligibility rules, rather than banging on about it here?
If you are going to respond to people's quotes at least read them first properly.

...ask yourself this, with all this 'we've got the best players this' and 'the better players that', who would you rather have? Gibson et al or the refugee who had never heard of ourweecountry (sic.) Maik Taylor. Because if you are going down that road, perhaps FIFA might start looking at the anomalies of some of the NI players and their lack of connections and residency of the NI...

EalingGreen
20/02/2007, 11:00 AM
:D . Sweeet.

Have you got on u-tube any clips of the three goals scored by Ronnie, Rayo and Cas in 89, Stan's corner in 93, Roy Keane and Alan Mac dancing around the pitch at Windsor park on hearing the news we were off to America, as well as the four goals put passed you in 94 ( I belive the last one of the four was scored to a near empty ground):D .

Maybe you could show us some clips from u-tube of people being batoned of the streets by the RUC, or clips of them being hemmed into their homes by rows of land rovers, show us some clips of little girls being pelted with everything from pipe bombs to urine while on their way to school as the forces of law and order just let it happen, and then you can see why some people don't feel like playing for or supporting your vile little football team.:D

Ah, poor Sylvo. There I was thinking you'd finally got the hang of this football messageboard mullarkey, when your response to a footballing post with a footballing post of your own. Indeed, I was impressed by the extent of your historical recall about great games from decades past (even if some of them were nearer the era of Black and White TV than "YouTube")

Then I read your second paragraph. Oh dear. You really should try to distinguish between footballing and non-footballing matters. And once you've done so, then you can post the former on this Board and the latter on "Slugger O'Toole", or somesuch, since that is a much more appropriate forum for that sort of shoite.

lopez
20/02/2007, 11:03 AM
This is what I was writing about.
"The Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956 applied an entitlement to citizenship by birth to anyone born in Northern Ireland either before or after the coming into force of that Act. Anyone born in Northern Ireland on or before the 31 December 2004 is entitled to be an Irish citizen if they choose to be."I was aware that prior to the GFA, passports were only (supposedly) granted to those with an Irish grandparent born before 1922, as listed on the section of the passport application form dealing with applicants from the O6C. The GFA allowed everyone born in the north the right to become an Irish citizen until the 2004 referendum eliminated Ius Soli from Irish citizenship law.

Not Brazil
20/02/2007, 11:06 AM
You think that the thirty years of the troubles and the remaining existence of 'peace' lines is down to religion?

No, I don't.

EalingGreen
20/02/2007, 11:10 AM
If we're just talking about potential then Stokes, Gibson (United's young player of the year last year ahead of ur mate Evans though you'll probably choose to ignore that), J O'Brien, Garvan, Long, Supple, Mc Geady, Chris McCann, O'Dea, Ireland, Keogh, Clarke, Best, Ward, O'Donovan, S Quinn (I could go on for ever) are all better or at least equally as good prospects as Evans. Then again I suppose you also have Kyle Lafferty (a player who Chris McCann is younger than and rated more highly than at Burnley that gets into the North's first team - McCann as we all know is a regular for the Republic). And if you want to argue whether McCann is rated more highly than Lafferty at Burnley then just have a look at who won their young player of the year last year along with 4 other accolades from the supporters and the club. Here's a clue it wasn't Lafferty, I don't think he got a single one.

You're so biased you no longer inhabit reality as far as football is concerned. Sweden the end of March will give you a reality check if Liechenstein don't manage to do it beforehand. I have nothing against the North personally. I just believe their players are for the most part sh*te and they have been punching well above their weight for the last 3 games. Obviously the 3-0 home loss against Iceland the game before has been long since forgotten by you. Healy was brilliant in that game.

The first paragraph is your opinion and you're entitled to it. My opinion differs.

As for your second paragraph, we could well get beaten by Sweden in March. God knows, we could even get beaten by Lickystein before then (as I've already acknowledged on this Board). And I have not forgotten our defeat by Iceland.
But notwithstanding that my team has been on the up for three years now (not three matches), it won't affect my support for the team. Nor would such results cause me to excoriate the players so viciously as some of the posters on this Board have done for their ROI counterparts. Still less would it cause me to throw in the towel and opt to support the "other" Irish team on this island, or campaign for a merger of the two.
That is because I am entirely comfortable in knowing that we are not e.g. Brazil, we're Northern Ireland "and it's all the same to me..." :cool:

EalingGreen
20/02/2007, 11:21 AM
PS: There must be a "lopez" impersonator registered on OWC then.:eek:

Indeed. In fact, I've seen this mysterious "Lopez" lurking on OWC myself in the last couple of weeks. Still, if our Cockney Lopez decides to post on the site, I'm sure he'll choose a suitable moniker to let us know who he really is. "Continuity Lopez", perhaps? ;)

lopez
20/02/2007, 11:35 AM
No, I don't.So what's with the diatribe about 'I care not about your religious beliefs - I am one of the lucky ones who couldn't hold a discussion about the slight differences in teaching by very similar strands of exactly the same religion. I don't understand them, and I don't want to know about them.'?

lopez
20/02/2007, 11:39 AM
...Nor would such results cause me to excoriate the players so viciously as some of the posters on this Board have done for their ROI counterparts...Players are not necessarily 'viciously excoriated' on your team by results, are they?

Not Brazil
20/02/2007, 11:40 AM
So what's with the diatribe about 'about your religious beliefs - I am one of the lucky ones who couldn't hold a discussion about the slight differences in teaching by very similar strands of exactly the same religion. I don't understand them, and I don't want to know about them.'?

You labeled me a "bigot".

I presumed, given the references YOU made to "taigs" and "fenian", that you were insinuating that I was bigoted on account of religious beliefs.

I can assure you that I am not.

Not Brazil
20/02/2007, 11:42 AM
Indeed. In fact, I've seen this mysterious "Lopez" lurking on OWC myself in the last couple of weeks. Still, if our Cockney Lopez decides to post on the site, I'm sure he'll choose a suitable moniker to let us know who he really is. "Continuity Lopez", perhaps? ;)

Must be just a coincidence.

EalingGreen
20/02/2007, 11:49 AM
Along with:

NI is a country.
NI are higher in the FIFA rankings than Ireland.
NI has better players.
Nationalists in the O6C can only play for NI.
Nationalists in the O6C must only play for NI.
Nationalists would support us if we weren't so sh*t.
Nationalists are now supporting us because we aren't as sh*t as we were.
Nationalists want to play for us.
Ireland is our nearest rival.
The FAI are poaching our players.
The FAI are using bungs to entice our players.
Sinn Fein councillors and community workers are putting pressure on Nationalists not to play for NI.
The FAI are bigots because they aren't poaching Protestant/Unionist players.
NI have never played anyone that hasn't at least one grandparent from the O6C.
The IFA has never 'begged' anyone to play for them in the same way we accuse the FAI of doing.
NI players can cross international borders without passports.
We've always loved Lawrie Sanchez.

NI is one of the four countries which make up the UK. To deny this would also be to deny that Scotland or Wales is a country. (Or even your "own" country, England ;) )
NI is also one of the 206 members of FIFA which plays international football. As such, it is one of two teams from the island of Ireland.
NI is three places behind ROI in the FIFA rankings. For the moment.
Some of the NI players are better than their ROI counterparts (imo).
The IFA doesn't give a stuff for the personal political convictions of those players who represent them.
The NI manager does not give a stuff about such things, either. Neither will he pick players who don't demonstrate 100% effort when wearing the shirt.
Some Nationalists support NI, others don't - their choice.
"Ireland" is not a playing rival of NI in any way, since it is a rugby team. (Or cricket team?)
The nearest competing international football team to Northern Ireland is the Republic of Ireland. (There's a wee clue in the names)
There is evidence that the FAI may be inducing players who are otherwise content to represent NI to switch to the ROI, irrespective of who first coached and developed them as youngsters.
SF Councillors who never previously expressed an interest of any sort in the "Garrison/Partitionist" sport of football suddenly became very agitated when the issue of player eligibility came into the spotlight.
Where FAI have appeared to approach NI-born players, these have been only from a Nationalist background.
The IFA has traditionally had by far the strictest selection criteria of the five countries of the British Isles (stupidly so, imo), when it comes to eligibility.
Lawrie Sanchez has publicly rejected the possibility of picking players who technically are eligible for NI, but don't have the usual connections with the country (birthplace, parents etc).
NI players do not need a Passport to visit, e.g. the Irish Republic. And if anyone should ask them to produce one, they are liable to produce an Irish Passport as readily as a UK one. As is entirely their right.
And, like most NI fans, I never thought much of Sanchez as a player, but greatly admire him as a manager. Which, I suppose, is how ROI fans look upon Steve Staunton. Not. :cool:

EalingGreen
20/02/2007, 11:53 AM
Players are not necessarily 'viciously excoriated' on your team by results, are they?

OK, substitute "performances" for "results" if it makes you happy. Or even "abject and craven humiliation"...:)

Billsthoughts
20/02/2007, 12:04 PM
Maybe it would be easier if we all refferred to Ireland as Ireland and Northern Ireland as the Occupied Territories. Or The O.T.
I kinda admire the way the OT have played under Sanchez and think they went the right way in appointing someone with a bit of managerial experience who still had the hunger to prove himself.
At the moment its only a bit of banter from the OT fans as they are obviously playing better football than Ireland.
Re the robbing of players issue...I think darren gibson made some comments the weekend about this. I dont have a link to the exact quote but it was something like there was never any doubt that he would play for Ireland as everyone from were he lived supported Ireland and not the OT. so does this not contradict what was said above about this?
Its questionable whether Scotland wales england and the OT should be allowed have their own teams as they are not really seperate independent countries.

lopez
20/02/2007, 12:23 PM
NI is one of the four countries which make up the UK. To deny this would also be to deny that Scotland or Wales is a country. (Or even your "own" country, England )
I've already denied that Scotland, Wales or even my 'own' England - more obsession with me being really British - are countries. If that's the case, Munster and Leinster are countries too. I'd make an exception to England as it is used interchangebly with Britain with most people, especially the English themselves, and even you it seems, as you consider me to be truly British, not a plastic British. I'll take it as a compliment even though neither of us consider it as such.

NI is also one of the 206 members of FIFA which plays international football. :
Doesn't make them a country

As such, it is one of two teams from the island of Ireland.:
Speaking the truth for a change here. Two teams of which only ONE is a country

NI is three places behind ROI in the FIFA rankings. For the moment.:
Precisely.

Some of the NI players are better than their ROI counterparts (imo).:
In your opinion. I think the fact that your manager is far better than ours is more important

The IFA doesn't give a stuff for the personal political convictions of those players who represent them.:
That's right. It thinks that everyone in NI should play for a British team

"Ireland" is not a playing rival of NI in any way, since it is a rugby team. (Or cricket team?):
The country is the Republic of Ireland, just as the country to its south is the Republic of France. Shortened it is Ireland (or Eire in Irish). If you don't like it, then as the Irishman you claim you are, join the body politic of Ireland and change it. Meanwhile, I'll call it by its shortened proper name.

The nearest competing international football team to Northern Ireland is the Republic of Ireland. (There's a wee clue in the names):
B*ll as proven already.

There is evidence that the FAI may be inducing players who are otherwise content to represent NI to switch to the ROI, irrespective of who first coached and developed them as youngsters.:
Produce this evidence or shutdaf*ckup.

SF Councillors who never previously expressed an interest of any sort in the "Garrison/Partitionist" sport of football suddenly became very agitated when the issue of player eligibility came into the spotlight.:
Frankly, I agree with them. That isn't the same as putting pressure on the player not to fulfill his dream :D and play for NI.

Where FAI have appeared to approach NI-born players, these have been only from a Nationalist background.:
Have you ever wondered that maybe the player approached the FAI to confirm availability? Anyway, as I said, if they are 'approaching' players - which they are entitled to do - they should approach everyone.

The IFA has traditionally had by far the strictest selection criteria of the five countries of the British Isles (stupidly so, imo), when it comes to eligibility.:
LOL. :D Name me one player that the FAI have picked due to him having a British passport and living in the UK yet has no ancestral connection with the Republic (or with Cascarino, disclosing he has no ancestral connection with Ireland). And BTW, just in case you haven't noticed, Ireland is not part of the UK.

Lawrie Sanchez has publicly rejected the possibility of picking players who technically are eligible for NI, but don't have the usual connections with the country (birthplace, parents etc).:
Good for him. He's now raised the IFA's recruitment policy in line with the FAI. :rolleyes:

lopez
20/02/2007, 12:26 PM
OK, substitute "performances" for "results" if it makes you happy. Or even "abject and craven humiliation"...:)I was thinking of substituting 'results' with 'religion', 'political affiliation' or the 'club in Glasgow they play for.'

lopez
20/02/2007, 12:31 PM
You labeled me a "bigot".

I presumed, given the references YOU made to "taigs" and "fenian", that you were insinuating that I was bigoted on account of religious beliefs.

I can assure you that I am not.You think bigotry is confined to religious beliefs?

gustavo
20/02/2007, 12:47 PM
Ok I think its come to that time of thread again where things have gone pearshaped so I am closing it, any objections pm me the usual ...