PDA

View Full Version : Back above Northern Ireland

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

EalingGreen
15/02/2007, 6:08 PM
Imagine how bad the likes of Gillespie, Duff, Healy and Johnson would be if managed by Stan.

Don't have to imagine it - I saw what they were like under McIlroy! :(

(Fair point, though)

EalingGreen
15/02/2007, 6:19 PM
Exactly. Despite the best efforts of Ealing Green, I can't say that I've been moved into getting out my poncho and sombrero and shooting my two colts in the sky. He might think we're his biggest rivals. I prefer someone like England as ours. And unlike NI, we are still 22 years since they last beat us: Not 2 years.

Once again, you misrepresent me :eek: What I posted was that the ROI are our "nearest" rivals - I even supplied a map of the island to demonstrate this, but perhaps you suffer from the average Englishman's ignorance of matters Irish?

And as for your seeing England as your rivals, as someone who has lived in England for years, I can assure you that England couldn't give a rat's ass (to borrow a phrase) about the ROI. But then again, you might be expected to know that...

Still, on reflection, I think I can understand your resentment at the NI football team. Let me see, the last time we played the land of your birth and upbringing (England), we beat you. The last time we played the land of your ancestry (ROI), we beat you. And the last time we played your beloved Spain, guess what? Yep, three out of three!

Never mind, though, there was never more than a goal in it...:D

EalingGreen
15/02/2007, 6:47 PM
Is that statement a joke or are you serious? Only Taylor and Davis would have got near our first 11 the rest wouldn't have a chance. Gillespie? Don't Stephen and Alan Quinn get their games at Sheffield Utd before him and neither get near our team. Healy? Morrison, Connolly, Stokes and Long are all doing better than him this season and the first two don't even get into our squad anymore.

Anyway, as they say, don't let the facts get in your way before posting one of those silly, biased, pro NI, EalingGreen statements we all know and love.

Fair enough, you will have been typing the above simultaneously with my typing a further elaboration on this issue (Post #49). When you read it, would you care to respond?

Though it appears you originally overlooked the fact that I was comparing the (depleted) NI side that played Wales last Tuesday with the (depleted) ROI side which played SM the next night, on a man-for-man basis.
That is why, for example, your comparison of Gillespie with Geary or Quinn misses the point. Also your disparagement of Healy, who was injured for the Wales game.

Though on the subject of Sir David, whatever you think of his club career, his international record is outstanding. His record of 24 goals in 54 matches is marginally more prolific than e.g. Thierry Henri's, for a team which has frequently been mediocre.
And unlike e.g. Robbie Keane, a high proportion of his goals are in competitive matches and against top opposition (e.g. England, Denmark, Spain, Germany etc).
And his current form is as good as ever, seeing as he's scored 5 goals in five matches so far this season, including a hattrick against Spain. Does the international record of Morrison or Connolly really compare with that?

Anyhow, I'll leave you to pick the bones out of the rest of it, if you can! ;)

SuperDave
15/02/2007, 6:50 PM
All six counties of Northern Ireland are within the Province of Ulster - therefore it is wholly appropriate to chant "Ulster" at Northern Ireland games -our Donegal born supporters like it too.

"Northern Ireland" can be a bit of a mouthful for some chants - you'll understand that point, given that ROI fans like to shorten things to "Ireland" -incidently, a not uncommon chant amongst Northern Ireland fans right up to the 1970's.

you know you can still fly from the dirty south to freidrichshafen with ryanair to get to the game for about €50. It's about as far away as Zurich, so not too bad. plus you can rent a car from travelsupermarket for about £30. The only problem is you can't fly back til tuesday morning.

sylvo
15/02/2007, 10:03 PM
No big thing getting back above NI - if you were allowed to play San Marino every match, that is!

And as for our "confusion" over Mexico, I think you'll find this is a reference to "South of the Border", a song written by Ulsterman Jimmy Kennedy. Although ostensibly a love song about an American who enjoys a brief flirtation with a Senorita down South, in reality, it is an Allegory of the dangers which can follow for a World Superpower should it get embroiled in the affairs of a Third World neighbour... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_of_the_Border_(1939_song)

Glad you cleared that Mexico mystery up for me:confused:, it looks like being a Northern Ireland fan sounds like laugh a minute stuff. After all you get to spend god knows how long watching your team go without scoring a goal never mind winning its no wonder you would spend your time focusing on other things like Mexico/ USA relations, (I bet you've also talked about paint drying also at pub team games) not to mention worrying about what your hated rival are up to and who they are playing or which one of their own citizens their trying to pinch from you. I bet you have some right characters on your trips following yourweepubteam.:D.

As for San Marino, I take my hat off to them, after all they caused us more problems then your pub team have done in some of our matches all those years ago.:D Plus they are a country unlike you.

No big thing getting back above NI - if you were allowed to play San Marino every match, that is!

And as for our "confusion" over Mexico, I think you'll find this is a reference to "South of the Border", a song written by Ulsterman Jimmy Kennedy. Although ostensibly a love song about an American who enjoys a brief flirtation with a Senorita down South, in reality, it is an Allegory of the dangers which can follow for a World Superpower should it get embroiled in the affairs of a Third World neighbour... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_of_the_Border_(1939_song)

Like the third world neighbour bit, that made me smile. I take it the reason you live in Ealing was because your sectarian little plastic state was too much of a superpower for you.

lopez
15/02/2007, 10:53 PM
Once again, you misrepresent me :eek: What I posted was that the ROI are our "nearest" rivals - I even supplied a map of the island to demonstrate this, but perhaps you suffer from the average Englishman's ignorance of matters Irish?

And as for your seeing England as your rivals, as someone who has lived in England for years, I can assure you that England couldn't give a rat's ass (to borrow a phrase) about the ROI. But then again, you might be expected to know that...
Well your description is very much what I'd describe how Irish fans feel about your puppet state team. Irish fans from the O6C may differ but then they have to live with bigots like you, so I'll forgive them for that. Then, you wouldn't have thought In-ger-land would feel any different seeing the difference in our rankings (let's forget the last time they beat us for a minute). But still they can't stop singing songs about us though, so your post is more of your usual sh*te.

Still, on reflection, I think I can understand your resentment at the NI football team. Let me see, the last time we played the land of your birth and upbringing (England), we beat you. The last time we played the land of your ancestry (ROI), we beat you. And the last time we played your beloved Spain, guess what? Yep, three out of three!
And my God! All three are still ahead of the muppet state in the FIFA rankings. :rolleyes: Brings you down to earth a bit that.

lopez
15/02/2007, 11:38 PM
...Are you saying Taylor wouldn't have got in before Henderson?...Not interested in him. Only players that are eligible to play for Ireland would I consider whether they could get into the team or not. B*llocks about your ringers are all conjecture. To use one of your well worn favourite statements, 'it's irrelevant horlicks.'

Not Brazil
16/02/2007, 8:20 AM
you know you can still fly from the dirty south to freidrichshafen with ryanair to get to the game for about €50. It's about as far away as Zurich, so not too bad. plus you can rent a car from travelsupermarket for about £30. The only problem is you can't fly back til tuesday morning.

All sorted already, thanks SuperDave.;)

as_i_say
16/02/2007, 8:34 AM
whats going on in the north is how a bunch of elder journeymen at the twilight of their careers and youngsters playing at a low level can be inspired by a great man motivator such as sanchez.

Technically and talent wise, man for man, I would have none of them in our team except for davis who is clearly an oustanding talent. Sproule has pace but he's clearly a knacker so you're welcome to him.

as usual "ealing green" is wearing his "orange tinted specs" thinking that 2 great results against england (last campaign) and spain (fair enough) will mean anything when this season is over.

i'll be putting some cash on spain to put 4 past the north in the return game as they have a history of hammering minnows at home who have upset them away.

youngirish
16/02/2007, 9:14 AM
Though on the subject of Sir David, whatever you think of his club career, his international record is outstanding. His record of 24 goals in 54 matches is marginally more prolific than e.g. Thierry Henri's, for a team which has frequently been mediocre.
And unlike e.g. Robbie Keane, a high proportion of his goals are in competitive matches and against top opposition (e.g. England, Denmark, Spain, Germany etc).
And his current form is as good as ever, seeing as he's scored 5 goals in five matches so far this season, including a hattrick against Spain. Does the international record of Morrison or Connolly really compare with that?
Anyhow, I'll leave you to pick the bones out of the rest of it, if you can! ;)
I'm sure you're well aware that him scoring so many goals for NI is irrelevant. The majority of those goals have been against sub standard opposition bar the notable exceptions you have mentioned (mainly due to NI not being able to secure friendlies against decent opposition for a long time due to their lowly ranking). The phrase big fish in a small pond immediately springs to mind.

Kiatisuk "Zico" Senamuang that well known Thai international striker has 63 goals in 117 international games a far better record than both Healy's and Henry's. He plays his football for that world renowned club BEC Tero Sasana in the Thai professional league. I think I'd pass on replacing Doyle or Keane with him if he suddenly found out tomorrow that he had an Irish granny and FIFA gave him a special dispensation to allow him to switch countries.

So as you know and as we all know those stats you quote regularly regarding Healy are pointless. Long, Stokes, Doyle, Keane and even Morrison are all better players and would get into any team before him (even NI). He's a similar player as far as I'm concerned to Connolly, a decent Championship striker who has found his level but will never be good enough to play regularly in the Premiership.

Also EalingGreen when did you beat us when you played us last? Refresh my memory? Because if I remember correctly the last time we played your team competitively in senior internationals we beat you 5-1 over the two legs. Are you that desperate to make a point that you are clinging on to Youth team games?

P.S. I personally couldn't care less that we are above NI in the rankings. NI have found their level (in fact some could argue that they are exceeding it). With the players we have we should easily be a top twenty team. How many countries boast a full starting 11 (and some of our subs to boot) that ply their trade exclusively in one of the top 3 leagues in the world ? Not 20 anyway.

lopez
16/02/2007, 9:47 AM
...P.S. I personally couldn't care less that we are above NI in the rankings. NI have found their level. With the players we have we should easily be a top twenty team. How many countries boast a full starting 11 (and some of our subs to boot) that ply their trade exclusively in one of the top 3 leagues in the world ? Not 20 anyway.Carefull now. That 'PS' at the end will only prove to this eejit that you really do consider NI as rivals.

You're right about the Republic. We may well be short of some of the quality of the past, but that doesn't exclude the fact that we have a whole team playing regularly in an elite World league. Our poor results of late are purely through a cr*p manager. And when NI fans - who really do give a toss about their 'nearest neighbours' decline - start stating 'Staunton Must Stay' then that's where our problems lie.

Earth to Ealing: We can't do international rivalries with 'provinces', hence why I find your 'nearest neighbours' statement pathetically hysterical. May I point you to your nearest provincial neighbours: Scotland. I believe they've stitched up the IFA more times than we have, but such is your racial affinity to them and racial hostility to everyone in Ireland that doesn't see themselves as British, that you seem very concerned on ourweeminds about the players we are 'poaching' from them. :rolleyes:

EalingGreen
16/02/2007, 10:22 AM
Glad you cleared that Mexico mystery up for me:confused:, it looks like being a Northern Ireland fan sounds like laugh a minute stuff. After all you get to spend god knows how long watching your team go without scoring a goal never mind winning

I can assure you that we NI fans are enjoying ourselves hugely, thank you very much - not least because we're scoring goals these days. Anyhow, it ill behoves an ROI fan to lecture us on enjoyment, if this Board is anything to go by:
Ideas for legitimate & peaceful protest
Why do Ireland fans...
Is anyone here hoping for defeat?
The Robbie Keane Discussion (i.e. slagging off) thread
Stan Watch
Questions for the FAI
Wikipedia Rant
New Ireland Manager
How many signatures do we need?
The players are getting off scot free
Irish team don't care about Ireland
Delaney Out
What is wrong with us?
Etc etc etc etc

P.S. The reason why I live in Ealing has no relevance to the debate, nor is it any concern of yours - play the ball, not the man.

EalingGreen
16/02/2007, 10:29 AM
All three are still ahead of the muppet state in the FIFA rankings. :rolleyes: Brings you down to earth a bit that.

There's hardly any shame in being behind England or Spain in the rankings - even if our victories over them made a wee dent in their points total (or haven't you been following Spain's plummet down the rankings?)

And as for the ROI, you're not going to get to play San Marino every game, in February or any other month, so don't get too excited about your "dead cat bounce". I am content to wait until after the next pair of ECQ games in March.

EalingGreen
16/02/2007, 10:34 AM
Not interested in him [Taylor]. Only players that are eligible to play for Ireland would I consider whether they could get into the team or not. B*llocks about your ringers are all conjecture. To use one of your well worn favourite statements, 'it's irrelevant horlicks.'

OK, if Big Maik is to be excluded, our back-up is Roy Carroll. Are you saying he wouldn't get picked ahead of Henderson? (Actually, if Stan were the manager, it's entirely possible...:eek: )

geysir
16/02/2007, 10:40 AM
These days the only time the North registers on my radar is that it's bad news to be anywhere near them in the rankings.
When we got them in a Qual. group, my reaction was, féck, not that shower who would actually think it means something (more than 3 points) to beat us.
The reality is (like a Father Jack drooling) we are only interested in the best of their footballing youth. Being handsome doesn't matter, football ability is top priority, for starters anybody with a fenian sounding name, then anybody else, the more Gibsons the merrier.
After about 5 zillion posts on the owc forum on the subject of young player exodus to the south, they still don´t grasp the FIFA rulings on the matter.

We are not beggars, we are vampires.

EalingGreen
16/02/2007, 10:42 AM
whats going on in the north is how a bunch of elder journeymen at the twilight of their careers and youngsters playing at a low level can be inspired by a great man motivator such as sanchez.

Technically and talent wise, man for man, I would have none of them in our team except for davis who is clearly an oustanding talent. Sproule has pace but he's clearly a knacker so you're welcome to him.

as usual "ealing green" is wearing his "orange tinted specs" thinking that 2 great results against england (last campaign) and spain (fair enough) will mean anything when this season is over.

i'll be putting some cash on spain to put 4 past the north in the return game as they have a history of hammering minnows at home who have upset them away.

Frankly, I'm not bothered how or why our players are getting the results they are - I'm just enjoying that they are, while it lasts.

As for our wins over England and Spain, if all they will mean at the end of the season is that we had two competitive victories over top-ranked opposition, then that will do for me. (Btw, remind me when the ROI last managed that? Or even one?)

As for your putting cash on Spain - fire away. Imo, it's not an outrageous punt; indeed, I might even have something like it myself, as insurance against the cost of my trip. But whatever the outcome, I'm confident I'll enjoy myself. (Btw, remind me how much you enjoyed your last trip away with the ROI team...;) )

EalingGreen
16/02/2007, 11:12 AM
I'm sure you're well aware that him scoring so many goals for NI is irrelevant. The majority of those goals have been against sub standard opposition bar the notable exceptions you have mentioned (mainly due to NI not being able to secure friendlies against decent opposition for a long time due to their lowly ranking). The phrase big fish in a small pond immediately springs to mind.

Kiatisuk "Zico" Senamuang that well known Thai international striker has 63 goals in 117 international games a far better record than both Healy's and Henry's.

So as you know and as we all know those stats you quote regularly regarding Healy are pointless. Long, Stokes, Doyle, Keane and even Morrison are all better players and would get into any team before him (even NI). He's a similar player as far as I'm concerned to Connolly, a decent Championship striker who has found his level but will never be good enough to play regularly in the Premiership.

Also EalingGreen when did you beat us when you played us last? Refresh my memory?

P.S. I personally couldn't care less that we are above NI in the rankings. NI have found their level (in fact some could argue that they are exceeding it). With the players we have we should easily be a top twenty team.

Where to start on this garbage? I could go through Healy's international record match by match and demonstrate that his record in competitive matches is up there with friendlies and against "big" teams as well as minnows. It would demonstrate that in over 50 matches (so no flash in the pan), his goals per game ratio compares with Thierry Henry, the latters gained in an incomparably better team.
By contrast, there is a Robbie Keane thread on this very Board which demonstrates his lack of goals in the big games and against top opposition.

As for your "big fish in small pond" metaphor, Keane and Healy both play in the same pond i.e. same Confederation, against the same opposition in the same competitions, so may fairly be compared. Whereas your Thai striker is utterly irrelevant to this debate.
However, when comparing Keane and Healy, it is worth pointing out that more of Keane's caps have been in a decent team than Healy's; also, since the ROI have always been seeded higher during both their careers, the ROI will generally have been drawn against weaker teams in tournaments, with NI drawn against stonger opposition.

Regarding the other comparisons, it is your opinion that Morrison, Doyle, Stokes, Long and Keane are "better" club players than Healy - my contrary opinion on at least some of those won't change anything.
But I was talking about international football. Refresh me as to the international goalscoring records of all those players - without looking them up, I am certain that only Keane even bears comparison.
And as for David Connolly - good player, good guy, good servant for his country etc etc. But again, I would ask you how many caps, how many goals?

As for the last time NI played ROI:

29/05/1999, Dublin, Lansdowne Road, 12.100
REP. IRELAND 0-1 NORTHERN IRELAND [HT 0-0]
Scorer: Danny Griffin 85'

As for your P.S., if NI have found their level, then I am happy enough - then again, I don't have unrealistic expectations about my team, unlike some.
And if you are correct that the ROI should be a top twenty team, when they are barely top 50, how is that a cause for pride?
Jeesus, I was embarrassed when my team dropped outside the top 100. What will you do you when Stan drags you down there? Shout it from the rooftops:
"We may be lower than Vanuatu in the World Rankings, but it doesn't matter, because we should be in the Top 20!" :eek:

youngirish
16/02/2007, 11:28 AM
EalingGreen the truth hurts and it sounds like I hit a nerve. Healy is a big fish in the small pond that is the NI team. He is their main man. He takes all their penalties and is the one they constantly rely on to score goals. This is because the majority of the rest of their team (and particularly their strikers) are sh*te. The majority of NI chances end with presenting Healy with the ball and tbh it's not a tactic that has worked too well for the team as a whole for 90% of his International career. This is what I meant by big fish in a small pond so your comparisons to Keane are again irrelevant.

Keane who also has a great International goalscoring record is the subject of criticism because we have alternatives and rightly he should be. You only worship Healy because as mediocre a Championship player as he is you have no alternatives (Kyle Lafferty is terrible).

What's your point anyway are you seriously stating that at club level Healy is cr*p (he plays for the worst team in the Championship) but when he plays at International level he becomes Pele?

Maybe we should try all those untested Irish League 1 and League 2 players in our next match then. We could have an undiscovered team of Maradonas. No one but a biased, unrealistic, slightly insane, NI fan would even suggest Healy is anywhere near the player Keane or Doyle (etc) are at International level or otherwise. My English workmates here are laughing hysterically at the suggestion.

Oh yeah and as for your other laughable suggestion that because of your lower seedings Healy has had to play against tougher opposition than Keane. Do you really stand by this argument? Look at the WCQ group you found yourselves in last time. If we'd have been in it even with Kerr we'd have pi**ed all over it. England, Poland, Austria, Azerbaijan and Wales tougher opposition than France, Israel, Switzerland and even Cyprus? Poland were possibly the poorest team in the entire WC. Do you even watch football?

EalingGreen
16/02/2007, 11:33 AM
Earth to Ealing: We can't do international rivalries with 'provinces', hence why I find your 'nearest neighbours' statement pathetically hysterical. May I point you to your nearest provincial neighbours: Scotland. I believe they've stitched up the IFA more times than we have, but such is your racial affinity to them and racial hostility to everyone in Ireland that doesn't see themselves as British, that you seem very concerned on ourweeminds about the players we are 'poaching' from them. :rolleyes:

This thread is about the respective rankings of ROI and NI. Scotland have nothing to do with it, nor the relationship between the IFA and the SFA, still less any "racial affinity" which you imagine I have with Scotland.

As for my alleged "racial hostility to everyone in Ireland that [sic] doesn't see themselves [sic] as British", nowhere have I denied the right of anyone born anywhere in Ireland to identify him or herself however he/she likes; indeed, it would be hypocritical of me to do so, since an an Irishman born and bred myself, I reserve the same right for myself.

However, that is not the same as my not wishing to see NI-born players, who have been coached and developed through the IFA system, subsequently declare for another Association, especially if that declaration should turn out to be in breech of FIFA's Rules.

Quite the contrary, in fact: I look forward to seeing as many as possible of the next generation of young NI players join the List of my past and present footballing heroes, such as Healy, Michael Hughes, Armstrong, O'Neill, Hamilton, Jennings, Best etc, entirely irrespective of extraneous concerns, such as their personal political aspirations.

EalingGreen
16/02/2007, 11:51 AM
EalingGreen the truth hurts and it sounds like I hit a nerve. Healy is a big fish in the small pond that is the NI team. He is their main man. He takes all their penalties and is the one they constantly rely on to score goals. This is because the majority of the rest of their team (and particularly their strikers) are sh*te. The majority of NI chances end with presenting Healy with the ball and tbh it's not a tactic that has worked too well for the team as a whole for 90% of his International career. This is what I meant by big fish in a small pond so your comparisons to Keane are again irrelevant.

Keane who also has a great International goalscoring record is the subject of criticism because we have alternatives and rightly he should be. You only worship Healy because as mediocre a Championship player as he is you have no alternatives (Kyle Lafferty is terrible).

What's your point anyway are you seriously stating that at club level Healy is cr*p (he plays for the worst team in the Championship) but when he plays at International level he becomes Pele?

Maybe we should try all those untested Irish League 1 and League 2 players in our next match then. We could have an undiscovered team of Maradonas. No one but a biased, unrealistic, slightly insane, NI fan would even suggest Healy is anywhere near the player Keane or Doyle (etc) are at International level or otherwise. My English workmates here are laughing hysterically at the suggestion.

Let me try another way.

The NI fans adore Healy. This is because his effort, commitment and scoring record are unquestionable. It doesn't matter whether he scores all our goals, some of our goals or even none of our goals. It doesn't matter to us how is club career is going, since it isn't affecting his international career. As for the disparity between his current form for Leeds and NI, we don't fully understand it, but neither do we care.

How many ROI fans would put their name to the following?
The ROI fans adore Robbie Keane. This is because his effort, commitment and scoring record are unquestionable. It doesn't matter whether he scores all our goals, some of our goals or even none of our goals. It doesn't matter to us how is club career is going, since it isn't affecting his international career. As for the disparity between his current form for Spurs and ROI, we don't fully understand it, but neither do we care.

Oh, and Kyle Lafferty has only just turned 19.

P.S. Do you find that your workmates often "laugh hysterically" in your presence? ;)

as_i_say
16/02/2007, 11:56 AM
kyle who?

EalingGreen
16/02/2007, 12:07 PM
kyle who?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Lafferty

We have high hopes for young Kyle, as does his club.

ifk101
16/02/2007, 12:08 PM
OK, if Big Maik is to be excluded, our back-up is Roy Carroll. Are you saying he wouldn't get picked ahead of Henderson? (Actually, if Stan were the manager, it's entirely possible...:eek: )

You're comparing the North's two first choice goalies with Ireland's third choice. And don't forget that Big Maik is playing second fiddle to an Irish U21 international at his club. So stop getting carried away ....

EalingGreen
16/02/2007, 12:19 PM
You're comparing the North's two first choice goalies with Ireland's third choice. And don't forget that Big Maik is playing second fiddle to an Irish U21 international at his club. So stop getting carried away ....

No, I have consistently been comparing the (injury-depleted) XI who turned out for NI last Tuesday week with the (injury depleted) XI who represented ROI the following night. Those players who had withdrawn from the squads were not considered.
Anyhow, from what I saw of Wayne "Whoops A Daisy" Henderson out in San Marino, I think I'd pick NI's third choice ahead of him - and he plays for Wrexham! :)

gustavo
16/02/2007, 12:21 PM
No, I have consistently been comparing the (injury-depleted) XI who turned out for NI last Tuesday week with the (injury depleted) XI who represented ROI the following night. Those players who had withdrawn from the squads were not considered.
Anyhow, from what I saw of Wayne "Whoops A Daisy" Henderson out in San Marino, I think I'd pick NI's third choice ahead of him - and he plays for Wrexham! :)

Well then you arent comparing like with like then, Henderson is our third choice goalkeeper. Compare and contrast Given and Kenny with your two all you like but try to compare like with like.

geysir
16/02/2007, 12:39 PM
However, that is not the same as my not wishing to see NI-born players, who have been coached and developed through the IFA system, subsequently declare for another Association, especially if that declaration should turn out to be in breech of FIFA's Rules.
Wishes aside,
do you understand FIFA's rules on the matter, specifically the relevant article 15.3?
What are the grounds for suspecting a breech of regulations?

EalingGreen
16/02/2007, 12:43 PM
Well then you arent comparing like with like then, Henderson is our third choice goalkeeper. Compare and contrast Given and Kenny with your two all you like but try to compare like with like.

Simply not so, Gus. When I originally listed five NI players who would have got into the ROI team v San Marino, I only selected from those who had played for us v Wales the previous evening i.e. the comparison was between those who were available to each manager.

Consequently, the NI five did not include the injured Healy, Evans and Johnson, all three of whom would (imo) have done better than the three ROI players in their respective positions.

Be honest, on the evidence of the display in San Marino, five of the NI WAG's would have improved Stan's lot! :D

youngirish
16/02/2007, 12:51 PM
Be honest, on the evidence of the display in San Marino, five of the NI WAG's would have improved Stan's lot! :D
On what evidence? Replace good players with average to sh*te players under the same manager and they'd do better? Stop talking out of your ar*e for once.

The problem isn't the players. If we had all 11 NI players under the management of Stan the other night we'd have got hammerred by San Marino instead of sneaked a victory.

Johnson, Healy and Evans? God give me strength.

EalingGreen
16/02/2007, 12:52 PM
Wishes aside,
do you understand FIFA's rules on the matter, specifically the relevant article 15.3?

There is another thread on this matter, so I shall merely say that the FAI states it has a letter from FIFA which reassures them that the disputed players are eligible for the ROI. They may well be correct, but they have not published this letter, nor have they selected any NI-born player in a competitive fixture since the dispute arose (though this latter may well be coincidence).

The IFA took advice on this issue and considers the FAI to be incorrect. When they took it up with FIFA, FIFA asked for documentary evidence from the IFA, which was supplied. FIFA are now considering it.

Personally, I have studied this closely and I can't decide which case will prevail, since I can see the case each Association is trying to make. Consequently, I'm content to wait.

youngirish
16/02/2007, 1:01 PM
Wishes aside,

No grounds. Sour grapes all round that's all. No FIFA action will be taken against the FAI because they've done nothing wrong despite the paranoia floating about up North. The IFA are just making a fuss to try to keep their members happy that they are trying to do everything they can to stop Nationalists switching in droves to the Republic but FIFA won't impose any penalties on the FAI and the situation will continue as usual.

If they really want to stop this problem they should look at ways of making the image of the NI team more appealing to those of a nationalist persuasion. Ditching God Save the Queen at games would be a start.

EalingGreen
16/02/2007, 1:10 PM
No grounds.

Ditching God Save the Queen at games would be a start.

Are you Sepp Blatter?

Though I agree totally that GSTQ should be replaced at NI internationals, if not entirely for the same reason as you.

Anyhow, each of these topics has its own thread elsewhere.

as_i_say
16/02/2007, 1:31 PM
maybe "burn baby burn" by Ash would do the trick.

co. down green
16/02/2007, 1:34 PM
No grounds. Sour grapes all round that's all. No FIFA action will be taken against the FAI because they've done nothing wrong despite the paranoia floating about up North. The IFA are just making a fuss to try to keep their members happy that they are trying to do everything they can to stop Nationalists switching in droves to the Republic but FIFA won't impose any penalties on the FAI and the situation will continue as usual.

If they really want to stop this problem they should look at ways of making the image of the NI team more appealing to those of a nationalist persuasion. Ditching God Save the Queen at games would be a start.

Its not a question of anyone becoming more appealling, they are not, nor have they ever been our team.

The IFA has been running its anti-sectarian campaign for several years, yet there has been little, if any take up from the Nationalist community.

Players like Gibson representing Ireland is just a natural progression from a community who have grown up supporting & following Ireland.

Regarding the selection of Northern born players representing Ireland competitively, there has not been any competitive fixtures in the last few months. Both Gibson & Kane are named in the latest u21 squad, so few worries about continuing to pick players from all over the island, probably because, when FIFA tell you "The existing situation in Northern Ireland allows players to choose whether they wish to represent the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland." , its clear cut and no longer an issue.

Although it does get very tiresome when some are unable to accept the FIFA ruling.

as_i_say
16/02/2007, 1:52 PM
anyway when was the last time a nordie played for us-i cant think of anyone except alan kernaghan and we all know his story...

EalingGreen
16/02/2007, 2:04 PM
Anyhow, each of these topics has its own thread elsewhere.

As I say...

SuperDave
16/02/2007, 2:05 PM
Its not a question of anyone becoming more appealling, they are not, nor have they ever been our team.

The IFA has been running its anti-sectarian campaign for several years, yet there has been little, if any take up from the Nationalist community.

Players like Gibson representing Ireland is just a natural progression from a community who have grown up supporting & following Ireland.

Regarding the selection of Northern born players representing Ireland competitively, there has not been any competitive fixtures in the last few months. Both Gibson & Kane are named in the latest u21 squad, so few worries about continuing to pick players from all over the island, probably because, when FIFA tell you "The existing situation in Northern Ireland allows players to choose whether they wish to represent the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland." , its clear cut and no longer an issue.

Although it does get very tiresome when some are unable to accept the FIFA ruling.

One of the problems is the location and history of the stadium. Well, that, allied to the political bickering going on over a new stadium at the maze, which has turned into another thinly veiled sectarian bilefest as per usual for northern politics.

Not Brazil
16/02/2007, 3:23 PM
One of the problems is the location and history of the stadium.

The real problem is that the team is called "Northern Ireland", and represents the entity that is the "Occupied Six County Statelet";)

as_i_say
16/02/2007, 3:40 PM
i like that

Occupied six county statelet-has a nice ring to it

Not Brazil
16/02/2007, 3:50 PM
i like that

Occupied six county statelet-has a nice ring to it

Bit of a b astard for terrace chants tho, don't you think?:)

Jamjar
16/02/2007, 4:03 PM
You could always ask fans of the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia how they managed to fit their name into a chant.

EalingGreen
16/02/2007, 4:05 PM
Ealing Green the truth hurts

You only worship Healy because as mediocre a Championship player as he is you have no alternatives.

Do you even watch football?

Somehow, I think these people watch a bit of sport...

DUBLIN, IRELAND - 15 NOVEMBER 2006 - Ireland’s success in World and European competition is reflected in the ten stars chosen to receive this year's 2006 Texaco Sportstars of the Year Awards. Selected by Sports Editors representing print and broadcast media, north and south, from a shortlist of eighteen sports, the full line-up of Texaco award winners for 2006 comprises:

ATHLETICS Derval O’Rourke
BOXING Bernard Dunne
EQUESTRIAN SPORT Jessica Kuerten
GAELIC FOOTBALL Kieran Donaghy
GOLF Padraig Harrington
HORSE RACING Aidan O’Brien
HURLING Henry Shefflin
ROWING Gearoid Towey, Eugene Coakley, Richard Archibald, Paul Griffin
RUGBY Denis Leamy
SOCCER David Healy

(From http://www.texaco.ie/sportstars49/press_releases.htm )

EalingGreen
16/02/2007, 4:07 PM
You could always ask fans of the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia how they managed to fit their name into a chant.

Nobody knows, since they lynched the first guy who shouted:
"Give us an 'F' "
;)

lopez
16/02/2007, 5:23 PM
This thread is about the respective rankings of ROI and NI. Scotland have nothing to do with it...
You do like to try to make up the rules? Pure hypocrisy from you as you were quite happy to discuss 'Scottish' players being 'poached' by the FAI on an ourweeminds thread dealing with the FAI picking players born in the 6C.

nor the relationship between the IFA and the SFA, still less any "racial affinity" which you imagine I have with Scotland.
Fact! Scotland used the troubles to continue moving their away games with you to Glasgow long after Wales and England said it was alright to play in Belfast. Fact: You've played Scotland, how many? over 100 times? Fact! Along with the FA(E), Scotland put their own self interests and unilateraly walked out of the British Championship.

And I wouldn't mind betting the Scottish coastline is nearer to Windsor Park than the Irish border.

'Who us? Racial affinity? Not at all! Just our nearest rivals.' :D :D :rolleyes:

dr_peepee
16/02/2007, 5:38 PM
Jeezus... The amount of winking, eyerolling, and :p :eek: :D after each sentence.

Pete from Big Brother types like that you know!!

EalingGreen
16/02/2007, 5:51 PM
You do like to try to make up the rules? Pure hypocrisy from you as you were quite happy to discuss 'Scottish' players being 'poached' by the FAI on an ourweeminds thread dealing with the FAI picking players born in the 6C.

Fact! Scotland used the troubles to continue moving their away games with you to Glasgow long after Wales and England said it was alright to play in Belfast. Fact: You've played Scotland, how many? over 100 times? Fact! Along with the FA(E), Scotland put their own self interests and unilateraly walked out of the British Championship.

And I wouldn't mind betting the Scottish coastline is nearer to Windsor Park than the Irish border.

'Who us? Racial affinity? Not at all! Just our nearest rivals.'

A bit early to be pis sed on a Friday afternoon, or can you spew out this sort of irrelevant, incontinent drivel even when sober?

This thread is about the respective FIFA rankings of NI and ROI. Fact! :rolleyes:

Gather round
16/02/2007, 6:58 PM
Scotland used the troubles to continue moving their away games with you to Glasgow long after Wales and England said it was alright to play in Belfast

For some years before the big kick off, we had been playing Scotland at home in even-numbered years, England and Wales in odd.

So, the Scots demurred in 1972, 1974 and 1976; E&W in 1973. I suppose to be fair to our skirted chums, they might argue that they only scratched one game after things stabilised, which they'd presumably date as late as poss.

Glad ye enjoyed the jaunt around Duncairn Gardens, Lope. In the C19, it was touted as an inspiration from Versailles, believe it or not :)

sylvo
16/02/2007, 11:13 PM
I can assure you that we NI fans are enjoying ourselves hugely, thank you very much - not least because we're scoring goals these days. Anyhow, it ill behoves an ROI fan to lecture us on enjoyment, if this Board is anything to go by:
Ideas for legitimate & peaceful protest
Why do Ireland fans...
Is anyone here hoping for defeat?
The Robbie Keane Discussion (i.e. slagging off) thread
Stan Watch
Questions for the FAI
Wikipedia Rant
New Ireland Manager
How many signatures do we need?
The players are getting off scot free
Irish team don't care about Ireland
Delaney Out
What is wrong with us?
Etc etc etc etc

P.S. The reason why I live in Ealing has no relevance to the debate, nor is it any concern of yours - play the ball, not the man.

Well we know who to blame for things and the problem is our own and ours to sort out, or we could do what the fans of ourfakecountry do and blame our nearest rival for everything. All this ill behove craic and while we're on about it and lecturing people on things, I think its very ill behoving to have the fan of some pub team telling us that we can't pick our own citizens like young Gibson.

Anyway EG go on tell us how you ended up in Ealing, an area with a fair size Irish community (feel like you've got something in common do you):D , After all wasn't the plan in yourfakecountry to have as many members from the Nationalist side of the community having too leave the place due to not meeting up to the job spec for some reason or other.;) So how come you left what sounds like a superpower to go and live beside a community you seem to get confused with the Mexicans.

lopez
16/02/2007, 11:22 PM
A bit early to be pis sed on a Friday afternoon, or can you spew out this sort of irrelevant, incontinent drivel even when sober?...Are you asking me or yourself. Because, irrelevant, incontinent drivel is what passes for almost 100% of your posts on here. Sorry, Scotland didn't duck out of playing in four times NI in the 1970s? You've only played them seven times in your history? It was the IFA that cancelled the BC so that w*nkers like you can brag about how you're reigning British champions two decades after the competition folded?

For some years before the big kick off, we had been playing Scotland at home in even-numbered years, England and Wales in odd.

So, the Scots demurred in 1972, 1974 and 1976; E&W in 1973. I suppose to be fair to our skirted chums, they might argue that they only scratched one game after things stabilised, which they'd presumably date as late as poss.

Glad ye enjoyed the jaunt around Duncairn Gardens, Lope. In the C19, it was touted as an inspiration from Versailles, believe it or not :)Some NI fan you are. And, unlike many of mis compadres, who weren't born when I made my debut, you have no excuse. The 1978 game was also played at HP. I remember the first game at WP being the opener of the 1980 BC and thinking, really, is this the first time Scotland had set foot in Belfast in a decade? So that's at least two games they passed on, needlessly. Possibly three if you include 1974.

As for DG, yeah took the 1D up to Belfast Castle. I take it the grills on the windows were not the inspiration taken from the Sun King's pad?

lopez
16/02/2007, 11:27 PM
...After all wasn't the plan in yourfakecountry to have as many members from the Nationalist side of the community having too leave the place due to not meeting up to the job spec for some reason or other.;) So how come you left what sounds like a superpower to go and live beside a community you seem to get confused with the Mexicans.Maybe he got a visit about his joyriding habit. :D

EalingGreen
17/02/2007, 5:38 PM
Well we know who to blame for things and the problem is our own and ours to sort out, or we could do what the fans of ourfakecountry do and blame our nearest rival for everything. All this ill behove craic and while we're on about it and lecturing people on things, I think its very ill behoving to have the fan of some pub team telling us that we can't pick our own citizens like young Gibson.

Anyway EG go on tell us how you ended up in Ealing, an area with a fair size Irish community (feel like you've got something in common do you):D , After all wasn't the plan in yourfakecountry to have as many members from the Nationalist side of the community having too leave the place due to not meeting up to the job spec for some reason or other.;) So how come you left what sounds like a superpower to go and live beside a community you seem to get confused with the Mexicans.

Re. your first para, I for one have never "blame[d] our nearest rival for everything"; and it is FIFA who will determine who is eligible for whom.

Re. your second para, why are you so interested in my relocation from one part of the country to another?

P.S. Some more "pub football" for you, this time taken from Spanish TV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6e2EBfsqzU
Enjoy! :cool: