PDA

View Full Version : More Cork Thuggery

Pages : [1] 2 3

higgins
22/04/2005, 11:25 PM
Yet again Cork are caught cheating....

How long will they get away with this ?? Surely shouting at the ref after he makes his decision is sending off.... but OH NO!! Cork get away with it again thanks to some brown envelopes :mad:

And if that isnt bad enough then Georgie boy goes and dives again trying to cheat another peno :eek:

When will the league stand up to Cork and stop them. They are ruining the league with their thuggery.

:D

Poor Student
22/04/2005, 11:53 PM
Lol Shels fans are not going to let this up are they. :D

It's a conspiracy against Cork sure like. ;)

higgins
23/04/2005, 12:06 AM
Well as someone already said on another post

"By condoning this the league are again setting precedent to encourage it again"

So hopefully all Cork fans will come out in favour of strong punishment for this behaviour :D Being the saints they are!!

CollegeTillIDie
23/04/2005, 8:36 AM
The shed end again I take it?
They are among the most racist gobdaws in the el as well! :rolleyes:

rebs23
23/04/2005, 10:52 AM
Racist, What are you talking about?
Absolute rubbish. Our City and it's people have the best record in Ireland bar none for welcoming people of different religions and races over the last few centuries not just years. The Cities motto is a safe harbour for all. The quakers, the heugenots, the jews, and of course more recent influxes of immigrants have all settled exttremely well here. A former Lord Mayor was a jew. in the last census the CSO statistics of population show that nearly 8% of people living in the city council area (admittedly that is just half the city but thats a different story) are born outside of Ireland.
As a percentage of population our city and county has always had significant numbers of non Irish, much more so than any othder county mainly due to our position and trade with Europe and America. That is just a fact. Read David Marcuses book a Land Not Ours.
Please don't come on here and make such a stupid comment about the shed being a place of refuge for racists absolutely not. It's just not true and is alien to most Cork people. I honestly have never heard any racist chants or comments there.
Now if you mean we are a bit nasty towards Dubs well then thats a completely differnet story.
Bad form to make ignorant comments like that.

Soper
23/04/2005, 12:29 PM
When I was in Cork before at teh Cross, in the main stand as an away fan, the majority of fans who were FAMALIES were shouting racial abuse at English and Welsh etc players.

Just thought I'd point it out

Anto McC
23/04/2005, 12:37 PM
By being a bit nasty toward Dubs(people from the capital) you are setting the precedent to do it again against Races and religions when they beat you aswell.

Actions by the cork players were disgraceful and they should be punished by making them listen to dolans constant lies while reading every single one of ricos programme notes back to back.The breeding ground for future popes and saints thats known as the shed,should be cleared of any wrong doing because they would never throw anything at Dan Conner(one of those Dubs described above) it must have been a chap in tolka park with a long throw or a sign from god that he is evil. :D

Same old city always playing by the rules. :rolleyes:

Comic Book Guy
23/04/2005, 12:43 PM
THe shed are no angels to put it mildly, I was at a city game there some years back and one or two people in the shed were making sick remarks at keeper Tony O'Dowd whose brother had died some months prior to that.
The bottom line is that there is a small body of scumbags in the shed, it is up to Cork City to root them out and ban them for life.

Anto McC
23/04/2005, 1:02 PM
THe shed are no angels to put it mildly, I was at a city game there some years back and one or two people in the shed were making sick remarks at keeper Tony O'Dowd whose brother had died some months prior to that.
The bottom line is that there is a small body of scumbags in the shed, it is up to Cork City to root them out and ban them for life.

Thats the lowest of the low and there is no way that more than one or two scumbags would be capable of that.

Éanna
23/04/2005, 1:37 PM
Absolute and utter bull**** that is. Who the **** do you think you are making ridiculous allegations like that? Its bad enough that some young scumbag has blighted our reputation by throwing a bottle at Scum Connor, without some fool who wasn't even there making unsubstantiated allegations. Cop yourself on. I've stood in the Shed for most of the last decade and only 2 or 3 times have I heard anything racist, and on each occasion the person who did it was challenged by those around him. Last night there were a few things thrown at Scum Connor, but the person who threw the glass bottle as soon outed by people around him and carted off by the guards.

rebel army no1
23/04/2005, 3:59 PM
You go Eanna, i think there just jealous because we have fans. But when you have standing areas like the shed when it is always full, you are always going to get 2-3 scumbags, Dublin people should know this :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Anto McC
23/04/2005, 4:05 PM
You go Eanna, i think there just jealous because we have fans. But when you have standing areas like the shed when it is always full, you are always going to get 2-3 scumbags, Dublin people should know this :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Everybody knows this not just Dubs,btw no one else in the league has a problem with dan conner.

Slash/ED
23/04/2005, 4:27 PM
I can't believe Ollie Byrne, the scumbag, has bribed Cork players and fans to act this way to ruin their well earned reputation as the real saints of the Eircom League. Is there nothing this man wont stoop to? If he can get to a fine establishment like Cork, who previously have never commited a sin or so much as given a foul away in their long and prestigious history, than nobody is safe.

patsh
23/04/2005, 5:21 PM
There is nothing more pathetic than idiotic attempts at sarcasm by $hels fans who don't even understand the concept....:rolleyes:

Slash/ED
23/04/2005, 5:23 PM
I'd say throwing bottles at goalkeepers in matches is more pathetic, but that's just me.

pete
23/04/2005, 5:32 PM
I'd say throwing bottles at goalkeepers in matches is more pathetic, but that's just me.

I agree with you & i think it was 1 bottle. Wasn't at the game but hope the idiot identified & gets life ban.

CCFC always act quickly to catch any offenders so i hope the same this time.

patsh
23/04/2005, 5:32 PM
Well you would say that becuase as usual not being there or knowing anything about an incident doesn't stop you making some stupid comment on it.

Slash/ED
23/04/2005, 5:34 PM
Well you would say that becuase as usual not being there or knowing anything about an incident doesn't stop you making some stupid comment on it.

Someone threw a glass bottle onto the pitch. By not being there, what valuble peice of information that justifys that have I missed out on?

Poor Student
23/04/2005, 6:36 PM
I'm not the longest or most knowledged eL fan by any stretch but why is it that Connor is considered scum?

"Its bad enough that some young scumbag has blighted our reputation by throwing a bottle at Scum Connor"

Is it just me or does this sentence really look odd? :confused:

CollegeTillIDie
23/04/2005, 8:01 PM
Racist, What are you talking about?
Absolute rubbish. Our City and it's people have the best record in Ireland bar none for welcoming people of different religions and races over the last few centuries not just years. The Cities motto is a safe harbour for all. The quakers, the heugenots, the jews, and of course more recent influxes of immigrants have all settled exttremely well here. A former Lord Mayor was a jew. in the last census the CSO statistics of population show that nearly 8% of people living in the city council area (admittedly that is just half the city but thats a different story) are born outside of Ireland.
As a percentage of population our city and county has always had significant numbers of non Irish, much more so than any othder county mainly due to our position and trade with Europe and America. That is just a fact. Read David Marcuses book a Land Not Ours.
Please don't come on here and make such a stupid comment about the shed being a place of refuge for racists absolutely not. It's just not true and is alien to most Cork people. I honestly have never heard any racist chants or comments there.
Now if you mean we are a bit nasty towards Dubs well then thats a completely differnet story.
Bad form to make ignorant comments like that.

Ignorant comments? I witnessed it myself boy on numerous occasions.
Dogs abuse heaped at Jason Sherlock (when he was with UCD) and it was monkey chanting et al. I witnessed it myself. Perhaps it is not as prevalent now as it was in the mid to late 1990's, but friends of mine who are City supporters who sit in the stand were embarrassed by the behaviour.

CollegeTillIDie
23/04/2005, 8:03 PM
Absolute and utter bull**** that is. Who the **** do you think you are making ridiculous allegations like that? Its bad enough that some young scumbag has blighted our reputation by throwing a bottle at Scum Connor, without some fool who wasn't even there making unsubstantiated allegations. Cop yourself on. I've stood in the Shed for most of the last decade and only 2 or 3 times have I heard anything racist, and on each occasion the person who did it was challenged by those around him. Last night there were a few things thrown at Scum Connor, but the person who threw the glass bottle as soon outed by people around him and carted off by the guards.

Éanna

I replied to one of your colleagues already on this and I have no intention of repeating myself. Witnessed it ... enough said

RedX
23/04/2005, 8:05 PM
I usually dont get involved in these silly threads but after reading some of this rubbish i must post..first of all Higgins you should be ashamed to be starting a thread like that

We are all(well most of us)grown ups here..why all this petty rubbish?..there are scumbags involved with everyclub in this country..most comments made are mostly wind-ups but for you COMIC BOOK GUY..i am not a aggressive sort of person but i would give you a good kick up the ho*e for thoses comments you made about Tony O Dowd..the only time Tony O Dowd was ever mocked about that as he himself said in an interview was in a Bohs-Rovers game..you are a scumbag for even bringing it up..some of you lads on here are stepping over the line..this is a sport..a bloo*y football game..i love the rivalry with everyclub but some of you must have no lives to be bringing arguments to this level.. :confused:

hamish
23/04/2005, 8:26 PM
I can only speak from personal experience and I'm going back a few years but in my time with Athlone, Cork City fans were always welcome visitors to St.Mels. Win, lose or draw, they were always great crack. On our trips to Bishopstown or The Cross, we always got a warm welcome and enjoyed our stay there - we usually lost but I never encountered any arrogance when we did, just sportsmanship. I know it's a while back but that's how I found it. Yep, there are clowns at all games, we've even had few up our way but they seem to have crawled back under their stones now. :confused: :(

RedX
23/04/2005, 8:32 PM
I can only speak from personal experience and I'm going back a few years but in my time with Athlone, Cork City fans were always welcome visitors to St.Mels. Win, lose or draw, they were always great crack. On our trips to Bishopstown or The Cross, we always got a warm welcome and enjoyed our stay there - we usually lost but I never encountered any arrogance when we did, just sportsmanship. I know it's a while back but that's how I found it. Yep, there are clowns at all games, we've even had few up our way but they seem to have crawled back under their stones now. :confused: :(

Isnt it always nice to hear an honest decent fan leaving a good message..fair dues to you sirhamish..by the way i will never forget our cup game in Athlone a few years back..great craic with the local people and fans..maybe we might be back this year if we can get past the 1st round.. :D

hamish
23/04/2005, 8:40 PM
Thanks for the nice compliment RedX - takes one to know one! Yeh, I was at that Cup semifinal, City gave us a right going over that day but it was great to see 6,500 at the game. Great atmosphere - I think the City took up most of the "main" stand and, Jesus, did they make a racket, felt like a fcuking away game!!!!! :D

CollegeTillIDie
23/04/2005, 8:43 PM
sir hamish

I have travelled from Dublin to support Cork City in Europe on numerous occasions. I have been to games against Cwmbran Town , and Lausanne to name just two. So would I do that if I did not respect the club and the vast majority of it's supporters? No way . I went to Cork on one occasion in preference to having to stomach St.Pat's V Celtic in Dublin where 75% of the locals would have been cheering for the visiting side. : :rolleyes:

hamish
23/04/2005, 9:29 PM
Ah, Jesus, CollegeTillI Die, don't start geting annoyed with me (was that a sarcastic logo from you, of all people) especially since you've given me so much data and advice over quite a few posts. I have absolutely no doubt of your good intentions and support of LOI football and apologies if I appear patronising - it's the age thing maybe. I wasn't having an indirect swipe at you or the other blokes commenting on the Shed End affair. I just simply wanted to state my personal experiences of Town v City occasions, nothing more, honestly. I have no problems with people criticising bad behaviour from ANY club's fans. Maybe I'm just naive about all this but I have great memories from all the games in the League when I was involved and I just get a little sad when I hear/read about incidents like this and the resulting criticisms and counter criticisms. Ahh, maybe I'm a little too old and sensitive to deal with you Foot.ie hard chaws. (Yep, that's violins you can hear in the background!). Cheers. :(

Éanna
23/04/2005, 11:23 PM
Everybody knows this not just Dubs,btw no one else in the league has a problem with dan conner.
That may well be the case. But if he had booted the ball into the crowd, made offensive gestures to spectators and sprayed the contents of his water bottle at a child at YOUR ground, you might not like him either.

I'm not the longest or most knowledged eL fan by any stretch but why is it that Connor is considered scum?

"Its bad enough that some young scumbag has blighted our reputation by throwing a bottle at Scum Connor"

Is it just me or does this sentence really look odd? :confused:
See above. The guy has indulged not only in massive amounts of time-wasting every time I've seen him, but he deliberately winds the fans up as well. Maybe its only at Turners Cross he does it, but he should have been done for incitment to riot by now.

How in the name of **** does

Dogs abuse heaped at Jason Sherlock (when he was with UCD) and it was monkey chanting et al.(btw, I heard Sherlock receive a number of racist comments, but NEVER monkey chants)
equate to:

You provide ONE example of ONE incident, and use it to tarnish the repuation of approximately 1,000 people. What the hell are you playing at?! I played a 5-a-side match against some UCD fans a few years back, and one of them accidentally tripped me up during the game- should I go around telling everyone that UCD fans are thugs? Get a grip and cop on to yourself. And next time we're playing a european match and you feel like coming down- stay in Dublin. We have one or two scumbags of our own to try and root out, we don't need the likes of you to deal with as well. :rolleyes: :mad:

i am not a aggressive sort of person but i would give you a good kick up the ho*e for thoses comments you made about Tony O Dowd..the only time Tony O Dowd was ever mocked about that as he himself said in an interview was in a Bohs-Rovers game
In fairness RedX, there were comments sung at O'Dowd about that by one or two idiots a few years back. They weren't in the Shed though, they were in the corner, and the rest of the corner boys turned on them and shut them up very quickly.

mypost
24/04/2005, 5:54 AM
That may well be the case. But if he had booted the ball into the crowd, made offensive gestures to spectators and sprayed the contents of his water bottle at a child at YOUR ground, you might not like him either.
The guy has indulged not only in massive amounts of time-wasting every time I've seen him, but he deliberately winds the fans up as well. Maybe its only at Turners Cross he does it, but he should have been done for incitment to riot by now.

Are there people on here working for the press? A bottle was thrown at a goalkeeper, the fan was found, and arrested. That was it. The whole episode has been blown way out of proportion. But it highlights how every incident involving fans at NL games, no matter how trivial, is taken so seriously.

If winding up the fans, and time-wasting means you're called scum, how do you brand a player who fires the ball into the crowd? :confused: George O' Callaghan scored once for Cork against Rovers at TC, and promptly ran to the Rovers fans to celebrate. Not the cleverest thing to do, and if it wasn't for the reactions of the Gardai, there WOULD been a riot. It's players who goad opposition fans after scoring, who should be done for incitement, not for time-wasting.

CollegeTillIDie
24/04/2005, 9:53 AM
Ah, Jesus, CollegeTillI Die, don't start geting annoyed with me (was that a sarcastic logo from you, of all people) especially since you've given me so much data and advice over quite a few posts. I have absolutely no doubt of your good intentions and support of LOI football and apologies if I appear patronising - it's the age thing maybe. I wasn't having an indirect swipe at you or the other blokes commenting on the Shed End affair. I just simply wanted to state my personal experiences of Town v City occasions, nothing more, honestly. I have no problems with people criticising bad behaviour from ANY club's fans. Maybe I'm just naive about all this but I have great memories from all the games in the League when I was involved and I just get a little sad when I hear/read about incidents like this and the resulting criticisms and counter criticisms. Ahh, maybe I'm a little too old and sensitive to deal with you Foot.ie hard chaws. (Yep, that's violins you can hear in the background!). Cheers. :(
I have no problems with you sir hamish whatsoever ok? ;)

CollegeTillIDie
24/04/2005, 10:00 AM
you provide ONE example of ONE incident, and use it to tarnish the repuation of approximately 1,000 people. What the hell are you playing at?! I played a 5-a-side match against some UCD fans a few years back, and one of them accidentally tripped me up during the game- should I go around telling everyone that UCD fans are thugs? Get a grip and cop on to yourself. And next time we're playing a european match and you feel like coming down- stay in Dublin. We have one or two scumbags of our own to try and root out, we don't need the likes of you to deal with as well. :rolleyes: :mad:

It was every time he played there but enough of that.
I am really surprised at your attitude to my response. In the words of Jack Nicholson in one of his movies " You Can't handle the truth". I was trying to present a balanced portrait with my European games in Turner's Cross Comments. But if the extra support from other clubs when ye play in Europe is not appreciated then fine ! I won't bother going to the extra expense of overnight accomodation to support an Irish team in Europe some of whose supporters clearly don't see the bigger picture.

Cork doing well in Europe or Shels or anyone else for that matter= better coefficient = easier draws for the rest of us in years to come if and when we eventually qualify for the competition..
A win-win situation for the el.

Racist comments from any supporters at el games no matter how small in number is bad for all us . A lose-lose situation for the el when we are trying to attract families and larger attendances to games ! :eek:

Partizan
24/04/2005, 3:21 PM
...and I thought of C'a'wkies as a fluffy and cuddly bunch. :D

seriously in my time heading down to the X, I have never seen one ounce of trouble coming from the lads behind the Shed. I love going to the X and my visit on the Bank Holiday weekend is eagerly anticipated by all along Suirside. I drink with the lads in the Horsehoe and never detected any bit of animosity shown towards us. A sure there is the usual pre-match slagging (alleged bestial sex practices performed on our livestock, superiority complex, blah blah) but its all laughed over a few prematch beverages.

I'm looking forward to X game since we will be in the Derrynane side right next to the pitch so I can give Georgie a good earful.

Looking forward to seeing ye all down in the RSC in 3 weeks.

Éanna
24/04/2005, 4:57 PM
I am really surprised at your attitude to my response. In the words of Jack Nicholson in one of his movies " You Can't handle the truth". I was trying to present a balanced portrait with my European games in Turner's Cross Comments. But if the extra support from other clubs when ye play in Europe is not appreciated then fine ! I won't bother going to the extra expense of overnight accomodation to support an Irish team in Europe some of whose supporters clearly don't see the bigger picture.
My response was due to the fact that you took the comments of a couple of individuals on a couple of occasions, to paint an untrue picture of approximately 1,000 people. Of course there are idiots in the Shed, there are idiots everywhere in every football ground, and wherever possible they should be found, kicked out and banned if their actions merit it. I myself have only ever heard 3 incidents of racist abuse in the Shed- once with Sherlock, once with Eric Lavine and once with Wes Charles. With regard to Lavine I was standing close to the fellow who said it, and I ****ed him out of it for his behaviour as did many others around me. I can "handle the truth", I acknowledge that some people in the Shed are no angels, and I fully support any action against them when they indulge in scumbag behaviour. I just object to tabloid-esque, sensationalist re-writing of what has happened and the blackening of the reputation of an entire group of people based on the actions of a few idiots.

pete
24/04/2005, 8:17 PM
I think all eL grounds have had monkey chants or racists comments but been a good while since i've heard any. I don't think i've ever heard a large group of supporters chanting either.

There have been a few incidents of supporter trouble in recent years but each time CCFC has acted decisively which is more than be said for some other clubs. If we get the biggest crowds it stands to reason that will have more idiots than other clubs.

You may say i'm biased but Turners Cross is by far the most professionally run match day in the eL. Supporter segregation, more stewards, no people on the pitch, no loose surfaces...

Cosmo
24/04/2005, 8:25 PM
In fairness Pete, cork should've been on the ball and had more stewards behind the goal for the second half - i remember thinking it at half time and i couldnt believe the lack of stewards at the start of the 2nd half - they should be fined for that stupidity and warned to have more security behind the goal dan connor is in for future matches - nothing more than a small fine though, these things happen.

Just a bit of cop on next time :rolleyes:

Colm
24/04/2005, 8:35 PM
In fairness Pete, cork should've been on the ball and had more stewards behind the goal for the second half - i remember thinking it at half time and i couldnt believe the lack of stewards at the start of the 2nd half - they should be fined for that stupidity and warned to have more security behind the goal dan connor is in for future matches - nothing more than a small fine though, these things happen.

Why should we have to fork out money to have extra stewards behind the goal just because some average goalkeeper who can't control himself happens to be playing.
If Dan Connor could conduct himself properly and not try and act the hard man and take on the Shed every time he comes down, then incidents like these wouldn't happen.
Being honest, if a fella incites a crowd that much on a few different occasions then it's to be expected that quite a few people are going to lose the plot.

It's Dan Connor who should be fined for his stupidity. You can't blame our stewards if your keeper is a knacker.
Perhaps he should be banned from playing at the Cross or, if not, Drogheda should pay for any extra security costs City incur due to his presence.

pineapple stu
24/04/2005, 8:39 PM
Being honest, if a fella incites a crowd that much on a few different occasions then it's to be expected that quite a few people are going to lose the plot.

It's Dan Connor who should be fined for his stupidity. You can't blame our stewards if your keeper is a knacker.
Perhaps he should be banned from playing at the Cross or, if not, Drogheda should pay for any extra security costs City incur due to his presence.
:eek: :rolleyes:

That must be one of the most bizarre, ridiculous posts ever! And that's saying something!

To pick one of the easiest-to-put-down "arguments" - security costs should cover every eventuality, not just the games where everyone gets on well. If your security wasn't up to the job, something needs to be done. That's with your security, not with the visiting club, who have nothing to do with anything... :rolleyes:

Slash/ED
24/04/2005, 8:41 PM
No, it was all Dan Connors fault, everyone else is blameless, didn't you hear?

pineapple stu
24/04/2005, 8:43 PM
Sorry, my mistake! Forgot to leave my sense of logic at the forum entrance on the way in...! ;)

iceman
24/04/2005, 8:49 PM
The anti-Cork conspiracy now extends to Drogheda and Scotland. :rolleyes:

Soper
24/04/2005, 8:51 PM
What exactly is all the hatred of Connor for?

Colm
24/04/2005, 8:51 PM
To pick one of the easiest-to-put-down "arguments" - security costs should cover every eventuality, not just the games where everyone gets on well. If your security wasn't up to the job, something needs to be done. That's with your security, not with the visiting club, who have nothing to do with anything... :rolleyes:

But our security is more than adequate for every other game and is by far the best in the league.

It just seems strange that when Dan Connor yet again causes trouble at a City match that the City stewards and the City fans that get the blame. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pete
24/04/2005, 8:56 PM

Too be honest i've kinda forgotten at this stage. I'm sure someone will fill us in but was incident while at the cross for Waterford game a couple of years ago. He also reacts to supporter taunts by taunting the crowd back.

You may also remember he out his knee into the head of a Bohs player when outside his penalty box chasing the ball in Dalymount. Think he did something similar at the RSC last year i think.

Cosmo
24/04/2005, 8:56 PM
Ok, using Colm's logic the Shamrock Rovers 400 club can expect a big bill from Drogheda for the extra cost for extra security last week in united park as a result of their visit last week :rolleyes: .

Bohemians one, will reach dalymount in 2 weeks.

I would put that forward for post of the month though I've a better one from Colm from the drogs mb:

'There's nobody to blame here but Dan Connor'

Haha, its just getting more bizarre :eek:

Slash/ED
24/04/2005, 9:00 PM
But our security is more than adequate for every other game and is by far the best in the league.

It just seems strange that when Dan Connor yet again causes trouble at a City match that the City stewards and the City fans that get the blame. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes I'm completley baffled at how after a City fan throws a glass bottle onto the pitch SOMEHOW the City fans get the blame. It is shocking, when will this anti Cork conspiracy end?

Colm
24/04/2005, 9:27 PM
Yes I'm completley baffled at how after a City fan throws a glass bottle onto the pitch SOMEHOW the City fans get the blame. It is shocking, when will this anti Cork conspiracy end?

Throwing a glass bottle onto the pitch is a bit extreme alright but how come any keeper that comes to the Cross and behaves in a civilised manner doesn't get such treatment?

I'll just ask this question and it should sum up the whole argument, would all the stuff have been thrown if Dan Connor hadn't made gestures to the crowd and wasted time?

Slash/ED
24/04/2005, 9:29 PM
Throwing a glass bottle onto the pitch is a bit extreme alright but how come any keeper that comes to the Cross and behaves in a civilised manner doesn't get such treatment?

I'll just ask this question and it should sum up the whole argument, would all the stuff have been thrown if Dan Connor hadn't made gestures to the crowd and wasted time?

It's hardly the first time Cork fans have thrown dangerous objects onto the pitch, I can think of two other examples from games v Shels alone.

Éanna
24/04/2005, 9:30 PM

Just a bit of cop on next time :rolleyes:
There should have been more security, based on past hassle between Connor and the city fans, of that there is no doubt, and anyone I spoke to from the club afterwards admitted as much.

Why should we have to fork out money to have extra stewards behind the goal just because some average goalkeeper who can't control himself happens to be playing.
If Dan Connor could conduct himself properly and not try and act the hard man and take on the Shed every time he comes down, then incidents like these wouldn't happen.

Colm, I understand where you're coming from, but I can't agree with you. Our security is normally very good, and Dan Connor was by no means innocent with regard to tensions running so high on friday night, but the fact is Turners Cross is our home ground, and therefore security is our responsibility.

our security has been excellent in recent times, bar this incident and the incident v Rovers last season. On both occasions, security was not quite heavy enough and there was an incident. I'm sure the club will learn from this. Connor may have been responsible for increasing tension, but he can hardly be blamed for the fact that some half-wit tried to take his eye out with a glass bottle.

Éanna
24/04/2005, 9:34 PM
2 years ago, he was playing for Waherfur against us at the cross, and he got some mild slagging "Dodgy keeper" chants etc. He made a number of gestures at the crowd, and when waherfur scored he turned around and celebrated right in front of the fans (sticking his fingers up at the crowd among other things). He then started wasting time (understandable in the circumstances i guess, but still infuriating) and at one stage when he was given the ball to take a goal kick, he booted it back into the crowd and hit a fan. As he was walking off the pitch after the game, he sprayed the contents of his water bottle at some kid in the stand. Basically, he was acting the maggot and wound a lot of people up, which meant a lot of tension inside the ground, and some afterwards outside the ground. On every visit since, he has gestured at the fans, which IMO is just making a bad situation worse. On friday night, he was wasting time, waving at the crowd and at one stage was shouting obscenities at the fans right behind his goal. :rolleyes:

Colm
24/04/2005, 9:41 PM
Connor may have been responsible for increasing tension, but he can hardly be blamed for the fact that some half-wit tried to take his eye out with a glass bottle.

The fact remains though that Dan Connor gave people an excuse for throwing stuff onto the pitch. I'm 99% certain it wouldn't have happened if Connor had just got on with playing the game and ignored the Sheds taunts as most other keepers do.

The first time he acted up in the Cross, I though it was the behaviour of a scumbag but a few people said he just got caught up in the moment of Waterford getting a late equaliser having been 2-0 down. If that was the case and he never repeated it, you could say fair enough and maybe let it go.
The thing is though, he's tried to incite the Shed every time he's come to the Cross since resulting in stuff being thrown on the pitch and on one occasion a fella running on the pitch to try and attack him. He did it in the RSC last year too and a smoke bomb got thrown at him.
He should have learnt his lesson a long time ago but he hasn't.

The point I'm making is why don't other goalkeepers get this treatment from City fans?
Dan Connor's behaviour causes trouble at City matches and for that he should be punished.
However, people like to ignore that and I will just get accused of thinking it's all part of an anti-Cork conspiracy. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: