PDA

View Full Version : Fixture changes.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

nigel-harps1954
12/05/2016, 9:57 PM
That time of the year already. European fixtures rescheduling league changing fixtures mixing thing.

St Pats v Harps now on Tuesday 17th May
Harps v Crumlin FAI Cup game moved to Saturday night 21st May because of this.

Dodge
12/05/2016, 11:01 PM
Was agreed a while but needed crumlin to move a game. Very short notice for any Harps fans travelling

nigel-harps1954
12/05/2016, 11:17 PM
Terrible short notice altogether. Can't imagine many more than 20-30 Harps fans down on Tuesday night.

Sam_Heggy
13/05/2016, 6:24 AM
Was agreed a while but needed crumlin to move a game. Very short notice for any Harps fans travelling

Even shorter notice for players to get off work.

disgruntled
13/05/2016, 9:45 AM
Its a shame on everyone that we still seem to have a "make it up as you go along system"
Its no way to run football but I suppose we all should be used to it by now :rolleyes:

PartySaint
13/05/2016, 10:03 AM
Its a shame on everyone that we still seem to have a "make it up as you go along system"
Its no way to run football but I suppose we all should be used to it by now :rolleyes:

Pats would have had to request it from the FAI and Harps would have had to agreed. It's not like both clubs were just told 'you're playing on Tuesday and that's that'

Dodge
13/05/2016, 10:24 AM
Yeah but the FAI know every year about the europa league game on Thursdays in July and still schedule games for the day after.

These games on July 1 have been/will be moved
Cork v Sligo
Galway v Rovers
Pats v Harps

These games on July 8 have been/will be moved
Rovers v Derry
Wexford v Cork

Sligo v Pats on July 9th is more than likely moved too. This stuff has been known about since before the fixtures were released

refjohn
13/05/2016, 12:20 PM
What I don't get is why can't the European teams be scheduled to play each other at start of July. I know you can't vouch for later rounds - but minimise impact on the other teams at the first/second round. That way Galway, for example don't have to move what would be a big away crowd for Rovers, and same for Wexford for Cork to mid week and suffer financially.

brendy_éire
14/05/2016, 10:05 AM
Sligo-Derry down for 29th July has been moved to 28th, not sure why.

What it means though is that we can now move the our home LC game against Limerick back to Monday 1st August.

disgruntled
14/05/2016, 11:01 AM
Pats would have had to request it from the FAI and Harps would have had to agreed. It's not like both clubs were just told 'you're playing on Tuesday and that's that'

Well if both clubs are happy with it then there's no problem.
Of course the fans don't come into it at all :o

Nah Nah Nah Nah
14/05/2016, 11:48 AM
Sligo-Derry down for 29th July has been moved to 28th, not sure why.

What it means though is that we can now move the our home LC game against Limerick back to Monday 1st August.

Now I've seen no one confirm it but Celtic are playing Barca in Lansdowne the next day so wouldn't be surprised if the FAI told them to move it (30th to the 29th by the way)

PartySaint
16/05/2016, 9:00 AM
Well if both clubs are happy with it then there's no problem.
Of course the fans don't come into it at all :o

It's a **** one for the fans obviously (I'm missing the game myself now because of it) but people mentioning players getting time off work and such, it's their clubs that have let them down there

harps1954
17/05/2016, 9:30 AM
Why did Pats want the game moved so far forward though? Why couldn't the game be played on the Sunday between the two European games? Why do LOI clubs consistently want a free week between two European games. Pats could have played the European game on the Thursday night 30th June, played the Harps game on Sunday 3rd July and the second leg of the european game on Thursday 7th July. And why haven't the Cork / Sligo and Galway / Rovers game been moved to this midweek too?

El-Pietro
17/05/2016, 9:40 AM
Because they want to be rested in order o give themselves a better chance of winning those games? Isn't that obvious?

Nesta99
17/05/2016, 11:01 AM
Why did Pats want the game moved so far forward though? Why couldn't the game be played on the Sunday between the two European games? Why do LOI clubs consistently want a free week between two European games. Pats could have played the European game on the Thursday night 30th June, played the Harps game on Sunday 3rd July and the second leg of the european game on Thursday 7th July. And why haven't the Cork / Sligo and Galway / Rovers game been moved to this midweek too?

Factor in the chance of possibly travelling to the fringes of Eurasia, the travel and logistics and the Thursday-Sunday-Thursday turnaround is not that easy. Heaven forbid but if Dundalk were to draw Astana the distance would probably be damn close to a European record for competitive competition at 6000km or so. Not quite Cork to Derry midweek!

D24Saint
17/05/2016, 11:03 AM
Because they want to be rested in order o give themselves a better chance of winning those games? Isn't that obvious?
I would have thought so tbh take last year for example the team left Dublin on the Tuesday & flew to London then stayed the night for the connecting flight to Riga on Wednesday morning then on the Thursday played in 25 degree heat, then home on the Friday all of that takes it out of part time players the more rest time the better.

harps1954
17/05/2016, 11:10 AM

I know that. But every club would like to have a full week's rest between games. St. Pat's will have played one game in almost a month before the European fixture - hardly an excusting run of fixtures up to the game. The more successful a club is, the more games they have to play. Midweek games are part and parcel of what successful clubs have to do. However, I still don't get this changing domestic games in order to have a week's rest between European games. it doesn't happen anywhere else in Europe. Absolutely no reason why a domestic fixture should be postponed because of a midweek European game - it should be treated the same as a League Cup or FAI Cup replay as another fixture than has to be fitted into the calendar.

It works the other way too. Harps have to cram 4 games into an 11 day period, but then will play just one game in a fortnight in order to give Pats a rest between their European games. As it now stands, Harps will play ONE game between 4th June and 7th July - away to Longford because of the Pats fixture change and the mid-season break. It's not just because it's Harps that I'm mentioning this - it's the same for other clubs who are playing European games too.

Harps had also offered alternative dates to tonight to Pat's, but Pat's and the FAI refused the alternative dates. Also, Pat's didn't need Harps' approval to change the game tonight - they just needed the FAI to agree.

While it would be great to give all European teams free weeks between their European games, the FAI should have done this when the fixtures were been drawn up. The dates for the European games were know last year - before the FAI even released their fixtures. Surely they could have had the European teams playing each other on these dates - instead of maybe postponing three or four fixtures in one weekend.

harps1954
17/05/2016, 11:14 AM
all of that takes it out of part time players the more rest time the better.

I thought Pat's were full-time.

D24Saint
17/05/2016, 11:52 AM
I thought Pat's were full-time.

We haven't been full time since 08-09 thereabouts a lot of the players don't work elsewhere but a few do , Conan Byrne is a teacher for instance.

Nesta99
17/05/2016, 12:20 PM
It is really only in England that domestic fixtures dont get moved for European ties and yet it has happened there on an occasion. You may have a point if it were Wales, Scotland, Finland even. Teams representing the league should be given the opportunity to maximise their chances in Europe. If knocked out on a Tuesday then Friday may not be a major ask depending on travel.

nigel-harps1954
17/05/2016, 1:38 PM
It is really only in England that domestic fixtures dont get moved for European ties and yet it has happened there on an occasion. You may have a point if it were Wales, Scotland, Finland even. Teams representing the league should be given the opportunity to maximise their chances in Europe. If knocked out on a Tuesday then Friday may not be a major ask depending on travel.

But if it's to the detriment of a team in their own league it doesn't matter?

Dodge
17/05/2016, 1:52 PM
Why did Pats want the game moved so far forward though? Why couldn't the game be played on the Sunday between the two European games?

Pats have played European games on a Thursday and league games on a Saturday and Sunday after it.

But they've no idea if they can play Sunday 3rd of July now, so it seems sensible to organise the game as quickly as possible to remove the doubt. LOI clubs have to hope for cheap travel and that may mean staying a day longer. It's just the way we have to do things

The problem with this was the FAI couldn't confirm the switch until last week. The idea of getting the games out of the way early is certainly preferable until waiting until the draw a week before the European ties and possibly postponing them until August/September when the season is even busier

Nesta99
17/05/2016, 3:30 PM
But if it's to the detriment of a team in their own league it doesn't matter?
It will never matter until Dundalk dont qualify for Europe! :p

nigel-harps1954
16/06/2016, 12:04 PM
Longford Town v Finn Harps changed to Friday 24th June with 8pm kickoff.

brendy_éire
26/08/2016, 6:24 PM
Dundalk-Cork City due for 3rd September and Finn Harps-Cork City due for 6th September have both been postponed due to Cork having two players in the U21 national squad.

Serious fixture headache for Dundalk now.

pineapple stu
26/08/2016, 6:32 PM
So at present, Dundalk's schedule is -

Fri 26/08 - A v Wexford
Tue 30/08 - A v Crumlin
Tue 06/09 - A v Sligo
Fri 09/09 - A v UCD (If they get through of course)
Thu 15/09 - A v Alkmaar
Fri 23/09 - H v Derry
Thu 29/09 - H v Maccabi
Sat 01/10 - A v Longford - but presumably will be moved?
Fri 07/10 - H v Sligo
Fri 14/10 - A v Rovers
Thu 20/10 - H v Zenit
Fri 28/10 - H v Galway

And there's still matches against Bohs (A), Pat's (A), Rovers (H), Bohs (H), Harps (H), Cork (H) and possibly two more Cup games to schedule in there. Going to be a full two games a week from now till the end of October really.

placid casual
26/08/2016, 7:11 PM
I'm sure the "best team in the history of LOI" will manage just fine with those fixtures

jinxy lilywhite
26/08/2016, 7:14 PM
Ridiculous that 2 players called up for international duty constitute a fixture change.
Cork must be scared

GCdfc
26/08/2016, 7:15 PM
I'm sure the "best team in the history of LOI" will manage just fine with those fixtures

I thought we just had to get one point in the EL group to be the "best team in the history of LOI".

GCdfc
26/08/2016, 7:16 PM
Ridiculous that 2 players called up for international duty constitute a fixture change.
Cork must be scared

It is crazy. Isn't there a squad there for a reason? Maybe Dundalk should have asked for tonights match to be postponed due to Michael O'Connor being on international duty.

total hoofball
26/08/2016, 7:24 PM
Cork must be scared

With those 2 games called-off Cork now have 5 league games to reschedule within the final 7 weeks of the season so that's obviously not exactly ideal for them either trying to mount a title challenge.

Nesta99
26/08/2016, 7:45 PM

I found your ooze of resentment and scorn at such a description quite amusing whether it is a true description or not!

(Imo such a description is subjective until the roll of honour achieved by this team is unquestioned by equaling or bettering Rovers 4 in a row or like Waterford United former glory days).

If a fixture change suits Cork and they are allowed to do so it is their prerogative I suppose. The fixture congestion facing Dundalk is a major issue and if we win the league considering it will likely Dundalk FC's most impressive league title!

White Horse
26/08/2016, 8:13 PM
With those 2 games called-off Cork now have 5 league games to reschedule within the final 7 weeks of the season so that's obviously not exactly ideal for them either trying to mount a title challenge.

I agree. I don't see how these cancellations suit Cork either. Both teams just have to get on with it.

Dodge
27/08/2016, 8:09 AM
I agree. I don't see how these cancellations suit Cork either. Both teams just have to get on with it.
The clearly do suit Cork as they don't have to get the games called off. They requested it. Having nobody other than Kevin O'Connor to play left full being the main reason you'd imagine

Pats had 2 players with the under 21s last year and didn't get their games called off. Mainly because they had given up on the season but I'm mentioning to show it isn't mandatory to have the league games postponed

total hoofball
27/08/2016, 11:49 AM
The clearly do suit Cork as they don't have to get the games called off. They requested it. Having nobody other than Kevin O'Connor to play left full being the main reason you'd imagine

Pats had 2 players with the under 21s last year and didn't get their games called off. Mainly because they had given up on the season but I'm mentioning to show it isn't mandatory to have the league games postponed

Yeah lack of cover at both full-back positions looks like an issue for them at the moment but I think that would be a secondary reason for requesting the postponement.

Cork do want to ensure they have their best 11 on the pitch for that Dundalk match whenever it happens which is understandable. I think they're also trying to take advantage of re-scheduling the Dundalk match while Dundalk are stretched having commenced their Europa League group stage campaign and dealing with their own fixture backlog.

I think it's a calculated gamble for Cork as those extra 2 games increases that risk of other injuries and suspensions for when that Dundalk match occurs. Those 5 additional matches in 7 weeks including a mid-week away trip to Donegal is stretching their own thin squad, then you could have a replay against Rovers or advancing in the cup.

Nesta99
27/08/2016, 12:24 PM
It also indicates a concern in the Cork camp that they believe they need every advantage they can get to get the result. Understandable when you have been chasing a team for a few years I suppose but it isnt a vote in confidence in the squad just to get the job done, and is another example of Caulfield's very cautious approach.

Yossarian
27/08/2016, 12:43 PM
Dundalk will play Bohs in Dalymount on Friday night now.

Trevor Carey
27/08/2016, 1:03 PM
It also indicates a concern in the Cork camp that they believe they need every advantage they can get to get the result. Understandable when you have been chasing a team for a few years I suppose but it isnt a vote in confidence in the squad just to get the job done, and is another example of Caulfield's very cautious approach.

We did this earlier in the season too. Beat Dundalk in Oriel and the following game v Shamrock Rovers in Cork was postponed as Kevin O'Connor, Sean Maguire and Brandon Miele were called up for U21s. It back fired. The momentum of beating Dundalk was killed and when we did play again we drew 3 in a row. I don't accept the fear of Dundalk suggestion, after beating them 3 times so far this season without conceding a goal. We would be seriously weakened without our only left sided player and our top goalscorer. One thing that has helped Dundalk is the lucky cup draws (Crumlin and UCD are hardly tough) and trips to Russia and Israel in the Europa League taking place after the league season ends here. This is how Cork City's fixtures currently stand:

August
Tuesday 30/08/2016, Cork City v Bray Wanderers, SSE Airtricity League. September
Friday 09/09/2016, Shamrock Rovers v Cork City, FAI Cup QF.
Friday 16/09/2016, Cork City v Shamrock Rovers, SSE Airtricity League.
Monday 19/09/2016, Finn Harps v Sligo Rovers, SSE Airtricity League.
Saturday 24/09/2016, Sligo Rovers v Cork City, SSE Airtricity League.
Tuesday 27/09/2016, Cork City v Galway United, SSE Airtricity League.
Friday 30/09/2016, Cork City v Wexford Youths, SSE Airtricity League or FAI Cup SF

October
Friday 07/10/2016, Galway United v Cork City, SSE Airtricity League.
Friday 14/10/2016, Cork City v Finn Harps, SSE Airtricity League.
Friday 21/10/2016, Cork City v St. Patrick's Athletic, SSE Airtricity League.
Friday 28/10/2016, Bray Wanderers v Cork City, SSE Airtricity League.

November
Sunday 06/11/2016, FAI Cup Final.

Games to be rearranged:
St. Patrick's Athletic v Cork City, SSE Airtricity League.
Dundalk v Cork City, SSE Airtricity League.

If we beat Rovers in the Cup, and say a replay was needed, that would mean Wexford on Sept 30th being postponed to facilitate an FAI Cup semi final. Pretty much every Friday and midweek from now to the end of the season.

Long term the FAI need to look at things.

1. Play the League Cup in pre-season, or at least most of it.
2. 3 week summer break is too long.
3. Play double LOI fixtures on Bank Holiday weekends and Easter (Friday/Monday). That's Easter Monday and Bank Holidays in May, June, August and October. These dates are currently wasted.
4. At the start of the season, schedule league games between European participants to clash with European fixtures. This would mean other clubs would not be affected by postponements.

oldyouth
27/08/2016, 1:54 PM
Dundalk will play Bohs in Dalymount on Friday night now.

And Youths get kicked to the kerb as a small club. We were down to play Bohs on Friday. We've a relegation battle, which is as important to us as Dundalk going for a title. I know for a fact a lot of preparation went in to picking a team for next Monday's LSC Final, which didn't upset who the manager wanted fit for the league game. Player availability may be a problem for us on the new date

Ashbohs
27/08/2016, 8:47 PM
I'd imagine youths would have to have been in agreement about this

littlebray
28/08/2016, 1:48 AM
3 week summer break is too long.

What three-week break? They call it a fortnight, but it's only a one-weekend break any year to date!

Charlie Darwin
28/08/2016, 2:02 AM
It is crazy. Isn't there a squad there for a reason? Maybe Dundalk should have asked for tonights match to be postponed due to Michael O'Connor being on international duty.
Cork's squad is pretty thin due to injuries, to be fair. O'Connor is their only left-back for a start. They have a bigger squad than Dundalk but they still had to sign 78 year old Dave Mulcahy as defensive cover. It's reasonable that any LOI team would have a game called off. The interesting thing is this will mean Horgan is available to play them, which means it may backfire.

Charlie Darwin
28/08/2016, 2:07 AM
We did this earlier in the season too. Beat Dundalk in Oriel and the following game v Shamrock Rovers in Cork was postponed as Kevin O'Connor, Sean Maguire and Brandon Miele were called up for U21s. It back fired. The momentum of beating Dundalk was killed and when we did play again we drew 3 in a row.
You did have probably your easiest non-Longford win of the season against us though. Although, to be fair, you'd have beaten us either way so maybe you have a point.

Charlie Darwin
28/08/2016, 2:08 AM
And Youths get kicked to the kerb as a small club. We were down to play Bohs on Friday. We've a relegation battle, which is as important to us as Dundalk going for a title. I know for a fact a lot of preparation went in to picking a team for next Monday's LSC Final, which didn't upset who the manager wanted fit for the league game. Player availability may be a problem for us on the new date
That's what I didn't understand. Were Wexford told to lump it by the FAI or did all teams agree? I can see how it suits Bohs and Dundalk, but not Wexford.

Dodge
28/08/2016, 3:00 AM
Bohs aren't happy about it. They finish the league with 3 away games now

Charlie Darwin
28/08/2016, 3:23 AM
Bohs aren't happy about it. They finish the league with 3 away games now
They get a Friday night home game with Dundalk instead of a midweek though so a bigger gate. You might be right though - I assume Bohs weren't consulted.

White Horse
28/08/2016, 11:21 AM
All three clubs should not only have been consulted but also have agreed.

It would be very unfair to Bohs and Wexford to pay the price for Corks lack of confidence in their squad.

nigel-harps1954
28/08/2016, 11:29 AM
http://www.finnharps.com/fhfc/?p=3620

Trevor Carey
28/08/2016, 1:01 PM
All three clubs should not only have been consulted but also have agreed.

It would be very unfair to Bohs and Wexford to pay the price for Corks lack of confidence in their squad.

If it were the other way round, would Dundalk play the game if they were to do without Horgan and McMillan? Twive we've done it now this season, regardless of playing a strong Dundalk or a weak Shamrock Rovers and Finn Harps.

There should simply be no League fixtures on international weekends, and scrap the summer break.

Olander
28/08/2016, 1:13 PM
http://www.finnharps.com/fhfc/?p=3620
Boohoo. We went 7 weeks without a home game.