PDA

View Full Version : Booing the NI Anthem

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

an_ceannaire
25/05/2011, 8:46 AM
Well done lads well done......
So there was only 8000 at the match according to Newstalk...so surely we can take from that that these 8000 are the "core" support. The non bandwagon jumpers, the real fans. And i was there and a HUGE percentage of this miniscule crowd roundly booed the NI anthem. "Best fans in the world" my arse
Oh and dont forget the obligatory "Boo the Hun" element too.
And this was not a small monirity, it was a large minority shaming us.

Fuking Pathetic.
Add to that our younger players just basically not wanting to play for us anymore.....what a disaster. International Football in the ROI means very very little to the Irish Public anymore. :(

elroy
25/05/2011, 8:54 AM
I rarely find myself agreeing with you but on this occasion you are right.

There was apparently just over 15k there and yes GSTQ was booed for the first 20-30 seconds of the anthem by a sizeable number. First time I have ever heard such at an Ireland match and shameful to be honest. Although their booing of McAleese probably didnt help things.

The attitude of some of our players to the Irish cause, at the moment at least is very disheartening.

Fixer82
25/05/2011, 8:57 AM
I would never boo another player or their anthem. Actually I might boo a player if they were constantly cheating us of a game by diving or playing the referee to punish ou player (Israeli keeper getting O'Brien sent off kind of thing)

However, 'God Save The Queen' is hardly their anthem.

But yes, I get your point. There is a moronic, skanger element in the Irish support these days. But I don't think it's unique to Ireland.
Every International, even inter-county, team has it's element of brain-dead supporters. These are often the most vocal and die-hard fans who will blindly support their players even if they've done something very wrong, finding some way to justify negative actions.

So how do you get rid of them? Not overnight anyway. The only way to discourage them is if enough people voice their dissatisfaction and try to shame them at the time (every time) of them being complete idiots. A lot of people won't say anything to these idiots though for fear of a confrontation.

Or we could just go bad-ass and have a cull....

Predator
25/05/2011, 9:01 AM
Was that not Niall McGinn?

SwanVsDalton
25/05/2011, 9:12 AM
Well done lads well done......
So there was only 8000 at the match according to Newstalk...so surely we can take from that that these 8000 are the "core" support. The non bandwagon jumpers, the real fans. And i was there and a HUGE percentage of this miniscule crowd roundly booed the NI anthem. "Best fans in the world" my arse
Oh and dont forget the obligatory "Boo the Hun" element too.
And this was not a small monirity, it was a large minority shaming us.

To be fair I wouldn't say last night really was an occasion for 'real fans', but would instead attract a sizeable amount of Celtic jersey wearing scummers keen for a jeery night out. And it didn't help (though total whataboutery) that NI fans booed McAleese.

But agreed - I think it's a disgrace, if still unrepresentative of real ROI support.

an_ceannaire
25/05/2011, 9:27 AM
Elroy, come on man.....15000 .....you cant be serious! There was nothing like that there. NT gave it as 8000, Todayfm this morning said 9 max.
Comparing ourselves to the NI fans is no excuse either lads. Saying they booed McAleese etc....ironic alright that the worst offenders were the ones with the big "love football harte bigotry" flag !
But thats beside the point. A large minority/small majority booed the NI anthem, whether u accept is as their anthem or not, that was their anthem last night. And Peter Madsen, sorry, Steven Davis got it again!! Thanks the lord Lafferty wasnt playing.
Whats with this turning LR into Parkhead by the way with the songs on the tannoy....???? We are not Celtic FFS!!! Just cant get enough has never been a song for the Irish fans! So the FAI are very very complicit in this "celtic-ing of the ROI team".

On a side note, anyone think maybe Stokes not playing was more to do with his Da and the R-IRA thing, than tiredness?
Think about it.....Celtic player with family connections to R-IRA plays and scores against NI?
Some of ye are very quick to condemn Stokes.....while placating McCarthy/Wilson etc......I would think, in this instance, Stokes did the right thing.

Fixer82
25/05/2011, 9:37 AM
On a side note, anyone think maybe Stokes not playing was more to do with his Da and the R-IRA thing, than tiredness?
Think about it.....Celtic player with family connections to R-IRA plays and scores against NI?
Some of ye are very quick to condemn Stokes.....while placating McCarthy/Wilson etc......I would think, in this instance, Stokes did the right thing.

Hmmm interesting view but I still think he could've turned up. Or if he feared turning up then some proper contact with Trap to get their story straight might have been in order. If the player fears for his safety then I think the Irish management would have to be understanding of that and maybe invent some sort of niggle to his hamstring for a few days or something

Kingdom
25/05/2011, 9:43 AM
Elroy, come on man.....15000 .....you cant be serious! There was nothing like that there. NT gave it as 8000, Todayfm this morning said 9 max.
Comparing ourselves to the NI fans is no excuse either lads. Saying they booed McAleese etc....ironic alright that the worst offenders were the ones with the big "love football harte bigotry" flag !
But thats beside the point. A large minority/small majority booed the NI anthem, whether u accept is as their anthem or not, that was their anthem last night. And Peter Madsen, sorry, Steven Davis got it again!! Thanks the lord Lafferty wasnt playing.
Whats with this turning LR into Parkhead by the way with the songs on the tannoy....???? We are not Celtic FFS!!! Just cant get enough has never been a song for the Irish fans! So the FAI are very very complicit in this "celtic-ing of the ROI team".

Are you on tablets?

Edit: Sorry that's not fair, there were issues last night, but what you've posted is a bit "out-there" I think.
The booing of the anthem is wrong, of any anthem was 5 mins late so missed the presentations at the start.
With regards to the crowd that turned up last night, the usual SS heads were there, but there was a massive crowd of kids to the right, and lots were in the Celtic gear.
I wasn't happy with some of the chants by the crowd - IRA & Sinn Fein during the fields is cringeworthy and ruins it - only one Neil lennon annoyed me too, and obviously the huddle has been nicked from elsewhere. I'd agree with you there.

BUT on other levels - Stand Up, We love you, just can't get enough - so what if these haven't been Irish songs before? Irish fans in the past haven't been bothered singing or creating an atmosphere, so some of us have taken matters into our own hands, and these have been organised by the SS, and have injected atmosphere into what had turned into a pretty depressing place to be for a long time. None of those were cogged from Celtic Park I can guarentee that. Some of the chants/songs aren't great, but it will take time. There are some that will get an airing over the next while and should take off.
Last night was a once-off to a certain extent. There are idiots everywhere and our support is no different.

gspain
25/05/2011, 9:51 AM
lots of free tickets too. Guy behind me "surely no stupid saps paid 45 euro for these seats", I decided not turn around and say me. I also declined to get involved in the heated argument as to whether our number 9 (Simon Cox) was Noel Hunt or Shane Long.

booing was a disgrace - it was still a minority - none near me apart from the wheelchair area behind. A couple of guys in front did sit down for it.

I mentioned to a friend I'd be collecting 2 ticket stubs to bring my kids on Friday for free (didn't fancy paying 20 euro a pop) he handed me 4 comps for last night that he couldn't give away.

Yard of Pace
25/05/2011, 9:58 AM
Who cares about a bit of booing. It almost gets done in a light-hearted manner in Ireland these days. I remember Bertie getting booed at some GAA thing, way before he was ever a hate figure anyway. We boo everything! If a bit of booing is the worst thing that happened last night then that's pretty good, in my eyes. Were there sectarian songs? Missiles thrown? NI coach attacked? Fights around the ground? Pitch invaders? Offensive banners?
Not that I know about. Some people made a low pitched sound with their voices during an anthem. Big deal. Go watch that Italia 90 video on Youtube and watch everyone boo the England anthem and players on the screen in the Submarine bar(?). That's acceptable and funny but last night was a disgrace....:rolleyes:

SwanVsDalton
25/05/2011, 10:04 AM
Who cares about a bit of booing. It almost gets done in a light-hearted manner in Ireland these days. I remember Bertie getting booed at some GAA thing, way before he was ever a hate figure anyway. We boo everything! If a bit of booing is the worst thing that happened last night then that's pretty good, in my eyes. Were there sectarian songs? Missiles thrown? NI coach attacked? Fights around the ground? Pitch invaders? Offensive banners?
Not that I know about. Some people made a low pitched sound with their voices during an anthem. Big deal. Go watch that Italia 90 video on Youtube and watch everyone boo the England anthem and players on the screen in the Submarine bar(?). That's acceptable and funny but last night was a disgrace....:rolleyes:

I don't agree with booing in general and I think booing another country's national anthem is a disgrace. It reflects badly on the footballing support of that country. Just because there wasn't something worse occurring, like a huge riot, hardly makes it OK.

Kingdom
25/05/2011, 10:10 AM
I was to the right of where I normally stand, yday I was at the back of the schoolies, and the Northern Soul flag was on the wall behind me. Some of the young heavies in front started pointing at the flag saying "It's a Northy flag" and looking to take it down. Embarrased for them.

Yard of Pace
25/05/2011, 10:10 AM
Never said it was OK, but some of the reaction here is OTT.
The general public consists of a LOT of idiots. And a lot of lads who go to football matches are young lads who like to mess.
Playing God Save the Queen over a loud speaker and expecting them not to mess is like when Bart had his sling-shot and Edna Krabapple turns around at the top of the class and bends over, waving her arse in the air.

an_ceannaire
25/05/2011, 10:11 AM
Kingdom
the "just cant get enough" was 100% nicked from Parkhead. Co-incidence that in the season they adopt it as their new anthem, so do we...of all the songs, we just happened to pick that one....
Give it a few weeks and we will "doing the Poznam" aswell, and i spose that will be just co-incidence aswell?
It all adds to the "celtic-ing" of our national team and that is ridiculous. We are Ireland, not Glasgow Bloody Celtic!!

As for the Neil Lennon chant....give me strength.

SwanVsDalton
25/05/2011, 10:22 AM
Never said it was OK, but some of the reaction here is OTT.
The general public consists of a LOT of idiots. And a lot of lads who go to football matches are young lads who like to mess.
Playing God Save the Queen over a loud speaker and expecting them not to mess is like when Bart had his sling-shot and Edna Krabapple turns around at the top of the class and bends over, waving her arse in the air.

I'm not surprised it happened. I still think it's a disgrace, albeit I think it's a depressingly inevitable disgrace. What your saying strikes me as a little too generous to this particular brand of idiots.

Kingdom
25/05/2011, 10:23 AM
Kingdom
the "just cant get enough" was 100% nicked from Parkhead. Co-incidence that in the season they adopt it as their new anthem, so do we...of all the songs, we just happened to pick that one....
Give it a few weeks and we will "doing the Poznam" aswell, and i spose that will be just co-incidence aswell?
It all adds to the "celtic-ing" of our national team and that is ridiculous. We are Ireland, not Glasgow Bloody Celtic!!

I'm not gonna argue with you. If you believe that, so be it.

The Poznan and the Huddle are one in the same, I don't like it, I won't do it.
What would you sing at the games an Ceannaire?

jbyrne
25/05/2011, 10:46 AM
Kingdom

actually, the singing section where doing that man city / celtic thing last night. i would also suspect that it was their influence that got the "just cant get enough tune" played just before KO. It appears that the YBIG singing section is directing match day atmosphere now and some of it is just nicked from elsewhere and not appropriate.

think there was a large element of day trippers from the northern celtic fans at the match last night, hence the celtic stuff

ArdeeBhoy
25/05/2011, 10:50 AM
Nothing wrong with a bit of light-hearted booing of that dirge.

I'll happily welcome the Queen & even big Phil to Ireland, but no time for their dirge of an anthem.
If it's good enough for the Scots to do so, happy to follow suit.

As for the Celtic stuff, if it's so 'offensive', just don't join in !

Willum101
25/05/2011, 10:50 AM
I was at the game with a few mates, one of whom brought a friend from England. It was her first Ireland match and I can honestly say it will be her last. I have been going to matches for 6/7 years without fail however the sectarian singing from a sizeable group behind me was sickening. It was not directed at N.I solely but it was religious. Granted the majority were 16/17 year old lads but it was totally unacceptable! I find it extremely hypocritical that some people on this forum are quick to slate the N.I supporters when you just need to look around and see the same type of chant is occuring in our own section (Block 116 by the way) and the Stewards do NOTHING about it. I enjoy the Singing Section immensely however I shall not be returning to it due to the actions of these so called supporters.Apologies for the rant, it was a fantastic performance and I loved seeing Robbie gagging for a third, but I felt I needed to get it off my chest

TiocfaidhArmani
25/05/2011, 10:51 AM
The 'Celtic' songs aren't actually Celtic songs and don't mention Celtic, so why not take songs that have worked with other teams and use them for the Irish team? I know this might be hard for some people to get their head around but there is a lot of Celtic fans in Ireland who support Ireland and that will lead to songs that have been adopted by Celtic fans and that have been taken off being taken one by Ireland fans.

There has been a big uptake in songs like "we love you" and "just can't get enough" and they've really taken off, so as I said it can only be positive for Ireland when catchy, upbeat songs like that take off at Ireland games.

So you're "We're not bloody Glasgow Celtic whinge whinge" is stupid.

Willum101
25/05/2011, 10:52 AM
I would also like to point out that I turned around and told these lads to cut it out/stop singing but it was met with laughter. There were plenty of clearly uncomfortable people around me who felt like saying something in my defence but did nothing. In the end we moved up towards 118/119 but were prevented from moving any further by stewards

TiocfaidhArmani
25/05/2011, 10:53 AM
I was at the game with a few mates, one of whom brought a friend from England. It was her first Ireland match and I can honestly say it will be her last. I have been going to matches for 6/7 years without fail however the sectarian singing from a sizeable group behind me was sickening.

What songs exactly?

jbyrne
25/05/2011, 10:56 AM
There has been a big uptake in songs like "we love you" and "just can't get enough" and they've really taken off, so as I said it can only be positive for Ireland when catchy, upbeat songs like that take off at Ireland games.

they have not taken off and never will. they are only sung by the singing section. keep to songs / chants that the majority of fans actually know and the atmosphere will improve

an_ceannaire
25/05/2011, 10:57 AM
The 'Celtic' songs aren't actually Celtic songs and don't mention Celtic, so why not take songs that have worked with other teams and use them for the Irish team? I know this might be hard for some people to get their head around but there is a lot of Celtic fans in Ireland who support Ireland and that will lead to songs that have been adopted by Celtic fans and that have been taken off being taken one by Ireland fans.

So you're "We're not bloody Glasgow Celtic whinge whinge" is stupid.

Well in that case why dont we just adopt Hello Hello so and put our own words to it.....it is a catchy tune after all isnt it?
How about....Hello Hello, we are the Paddy Boys" Perhaps?

ArdeeBhoy
25/05/2011, 10:57 AM
Nothing wrong with a bit of light-hearted booing.

I'll happily welcome the Queen & even big Phil to Ireland, but no time for their dirge of an anthem.
If it's good enough for the Scots to do so, happy to follow suit.

As for the Celtic stuff, if it's so 'offensive', just don't join in !

Willum101
25/05/2011, 10:58 AM
What songs exactly?

Chants involving 'Huns' as well as the 'IRA/Sinn Fein' rendition of Fields of Athenry. I do realise that the latter happens in other sports/stadiums but to chant about 'Huns' is downright unacceptable. The North brought supporters down against Scotland, chanted about 'Fenians' and were made examples of in the press. I'm not trying to say that their actions were acceptable. I'm merely pointing out that there is an element of our support which is just as bad!!

jbyrne
25/05/2011, 11:00 AM
Nothing wrong with a bit of light-hearted booing of that dirge.

add to the booing such classics as "theres only one team in Ireland" and "you're sh** and you know you are" along with men of all ages giving the northern fans the finger salute at every opportunity. embarrassing really

ArdeeBhoy
25/05/2011, 11:08 AM
Sure, some people are very easily embarrassed.
Next, you'll all be saying you voted FF....
;)

TiocfaidhArmani
25/05/2011, 11:09 AM
add to the booing such classics as "theres only one team in Ireland" and "you're sh** and you know you are" along with men of all ages giving the northern fans the finger salute at every opportunity. embarrassing really

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!

Jeez-oh, do you live in a bubble or something?

TiocfaidhArmani
25/05/2011, 11:12 AM
they have not taken off and never will. they are only sung by the singing section. keep to songs / chants that the majority of fans actually know and the atmosphere will improve

My point was they've taken off at Celtic, so it's highly possible could be taken on at Ireland considering the large Celtic support in the Ireland support. The songs are good, I hope they do anyway. Maybe some bigots might object because they originate from a club situated in Scotland, but more open-minded folk won't object on that principle.

Remember, the Fields was being sung at Celtic Park long before it was at Ireland games.

Well in that case why dont we just adopt Hello Hello so and put our own words to it.....it is a catchy tune after all isnt it?
How about....Hello Hello, we are the Paddy Boys" Perhaps?

Did you read what I said? I think you deliberately misread what I said to make a bulls**t point. Go away, please, and bore someone else.

TiocfaidhArmani
25/05/2011, 11:13 AM
Chants involving 'Huns' as well as the 'IRA/Sinn Fein' rendition of Fields of Athenry. I do realise that the latter happens in other sports/stadiums but to chant about 'Huns' is downright unacceptable. The North brought supporters down against Scotland, chanted about 'Fenians' and were made examples of in the press. I'm not trying to say that their actions were acceptable. I'm merely pointing out that there is an element of our support which is just as bad!!

Fair point, as a republican I find thos add-ons cringeworthy.

jbyrne
25/05/2011, 11:25 AM
WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!

Jeez-oh, do you live in a bubble or something?

actually you are right. i should really have been filled with pride at the behavior

My point was they've taken off at Celtic, so it's highly possible could be taken on at Ireland considering the large Celtic support in the Ireland support.

club fans meet up every week and songs can therefore catch on. international fans only meet about 6 times a year and "in" songs with particular supporters groups are almost impossible to catch on

TiocfaidhArmani
25/05/2011, 11:32 AM
Well songs have to take off somehow and Celtic have had some crackers and loads of clubs have followed "we love you" and "just can't get enough". No surprise to hear them taking off a bit at Ireland games. Nowt wrong with that, although, like I said, some bigots will take issue because it's coming from a club situated in Scotland. Such mindedness (sp?) should be frowned on.

BTW, not saying you should be filled with pride but being outraged by football fans singing "you're sh*te and you know you are" is laughable! I'm embarassed for you!

jbyrne
25/05/2011, 11:34 AM
BTW, not saying you should be filled with pride but being outraged by football fans singing "you're sh*te and you know you are" is laughable! I'm embarassed for you!

who mentioned outrage? just embarrassment

awec
25/05/2011, 12:12 PM
Meh, it was boo'd. Not exactly indicative of a progessive support but we will get over it.

The whole Celtic thing is pretty funny though, one of the reasons the NI support gets incorrectly labelled as bigots is because apparently it's all full of Rangers tops and Rangers songs. Go figure. I've never seen a Rangers top at a NI game in my life, certainly the opposite couldn't be said about last night.

Sullivinho
25/05/2011, 12:14 PM
http://blog.smartgirlstupidthings.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/ohthehugemanatee.jpeg

OwlsFan
25/05/2011, 12:27 PM
Much ado about nothing. I was at the game and I heard some booing but for anyone watching it on TV, it would sound like there was a lot more than there was. Some of the people around me applauded the anthem. I was closer to the Nordie end than to the singing section and having been at the previous Northern Ireland games in the past, this counted as 1 on the richter scale compared to the 10 of the previous games. It's like saying "it's a disgrace that there were riots during the Queen's visit" when we all know they were a storm in a teacup. I would be amazed if there was no booing and anyone who is surprised must be living in a different world and doesn't realise that many Irish people have difficulty with GSTHQ being the anthem of the North.

As for the guy who is not going to go to another international because of some of the chanting, go back to rugby or better still watch the games on Sky where you'll get an apology whenever foul language is heard. I don't want to sound like Arsene Wenger, but I didn't hear any sectarian chants from either end but then some people (e.g. the Nordies who booed it) might regard the Fields Of Athenry as sectarian. I don't.

TiocfaidhArmani
25/05/2011, 12:30 PM
Meh, it was boo'd. Not exactly indicative of a progessive support but we will get over it.

The whole Celtic thing is pretty funny though, one of the reasons the NI support gets incorrectly labelled as bigots is because apparently it's all full of Rangers tops and Rangers songs. Go figure. I've never seen a Rangers top at a NI game in my life, certainly the opposite couldn't be said about last night.

I never heard that reason. I think it's more to do with how you act and what you were singing for years, regardless of who you were playing. We don't forget the attitude of your fans in '93.

an_ceannaire
25/05/2011, 12:37 PM
Much ado about nothing. I was at the game and I heard some booing but for anyone watching it on TV, it would sound like there was a lot more than there was. Some of the people around me applauded the anthem. I was closer to the Nordie end than to the singing section and having been at the previous Northern Ireland games in the past, this counted as 1 on the richter scale compared to the 10 of the previous games. It's like saying "it's a disgrace that there were riots during the Queen's visit" when we all know they were a storm in a teacup. I would be amazed if there was no booing and anyone who is surprised must be living in a different world and doesn't realise that many Irish people have difficulty with GSTHQ being the anthem of the North.

As for the guy who is not going to go to another international because of some of the chanting, go back to rugby or better still watch the games on Sky where you'll get an apology whenever foul language is heard. I don't want to sound like Arsene Wenger, but I didn't hear any sectarian chants from either end but then some people (e.g. the Nordies who booed it) might regard the Fields Of Athenry as sectarian. I don't.

So all the lads above like GSpain etc are lying and exaggerating are they?

MariborKev
25/05/2011, 12:48 PM
I've never seen a Rangers top at a NI game in my life, certainly the opposite couldn't be said about last night.

What stand are you in?

I've seen Rangers tops in the North and South Stands on my visits to Windsor.

tetsujin1979
25/05/2011, 12:51 PM
I was at the front of the singing section for the first half, and there was about three rows of idiots in front of me who booed GSTQ, and gave abuse to various subs from the Northern team - "playerX sh*gged a fenian", etc - and generally made a disgrace of themselves. They started doing the huddle/poznan in the first half and kept trying to get me, and the few lads sitting around me to turn around and do it too. And then they missed the third goal.

I moved to the back of the singing section at half time to get away from them, and I noticed one of the loudest left early in the second half.

awec
25/05/2011, 1:38 PM
What stand are you in?

I've seen Rangers tops in the North and South Stands on my visits to Windsor.
Kop. Undoubtedly there must be a few, but the numbers are so small that I've never seen one myself.

an_ceannaire
25/05/2011, 1:55 PM
So Owls Fan, are Tets, GSpain, Myself and all the others here who agreed, making this up.............?

ArdeeBhoy
25/05/2011, 1:58 PM
I've seen plenty of non-green & white via fans of the North, inc.plenty of R*ngers and anti-Irish/'fenian' stuff, so what??

Even know a two-faced eejit who sells such tat.

It's hardly rocket science and would expect no different....

an_ceannaire
25/05/2011, 2:08 PM
See the lad with the Ulster Flag in the ROI support? Not the NI flag now, the Yellow and Red Ulster flag. Wondered who he was supporting :)

geysir
25/05/2011, 2:18 PM
So Owls Fan, are Tets, GSpain, Myself and all the others here who agreed, making this up.............?

Owls gave his impressions and an account of his experience, whereas you are are a certified wummer. I´d regard his account at least as valid as anyone elses. Probably more so, on account of his wisdom, experience and generally has no axe to grind (outside of the RTE panel).
I would agree with his observation of the OWC fans, that their behaviour has improved remarakably over the decades and they almost act like normal fans these days.

Hibs4Ever
25/05/2011, 2:26 PM
Give it a few weeks and we will "doing the Poznan" aswell

Looking at photo's on extratime.ie this did happen last night too

ArdeeBhoy
25/05/2011, 2:33 PM
And would also agree with geysir, their behaviour has relatively 'improved'....

an_ceannaire
25/05/2011, 2:34 PM
Looking at photo's on extratime.ie this did happen last night too

Jesus Wept :(
These "fans" wont be happy until we have a Tommy Burns Stand in LR, wear Hoops and sing songs about our father joining the Ra!

Maroon 7
25/05/2011, 2:36 PM
Personally think the booing of anthems is very childish but I also think it's possible to blow it out of proportion. GSTQ got a half-hearted booing last night that died out after about 20 or 30 seconds. Last time I saw the Scots and Welsh about 60,000 of them lustily booed GSTQ out of the stadium for the full duration of the anthem. Not big or clever but maybe a sense of perspective needed. End of the day it's difficult to control large groups of teenagers at games who like many teenagers just want to act the mickey at all times and they tend to stand out even more when the attendance is as low as it was last night.