PDA

View Full Version : First Division 2010

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Sam_Heggy
15/07/2010, 7:48 AM
So, as we near the end of the second series of games it really is Derry's title to throw away with a 10 point lead. In fact, McBride's bookies in Derry have announced that they are paying out on Derry winning the title at 6/1.

Derry's next 7 games are going to shape things up for the division and if they come through that unbeaten then I don't see them being caught.

They have:

Shels (a)
Salthill (h)
Harps (a)
Mons (h)
Cork (h)
Limerick (a)
Waterford (a)

The final 4 games in that are all going to be very tough games and sh!te and all as we are we hope to throw a spanner in the works in 3 weeks time (although it is unlikely).

Limerick have a next 7 games of: Wexford (a), Mons (h), Shels (a), Athlone (h), Mervue (a), Derry (h), Longford (h)

Waterford face: Harps (a), Longford (h), Athlone (a), Shels (h), Wexford (h), Cork (a), Derry (h)

In those 7 game I can see Limerick and Waterford pretty sure to win 5 of those 7 each and Derry probably will win 3.
The run in is going to be interesting, I would say Limerick are the most likely challengers for the league with Waterford (and Monaghan) falling away.

pineapple stu
15/07/2010, 8:56 AM
Monaghan improved hugely as last season went on. Don't see any reason that they'll fade away this time. Definite promotion contenders.

Flexy
15/07/2010, 11:00 AM
Monaghan improved hugely as last season went on. Don't see any reason that they'll fade away this time. Definite promotion contenders.
Derry's next 7 games are difficult and as you say Sammy if we come out of that with 15 points, I cant see anyone catching us. The games after that are winnable . James McLean has been amazing this year and on current form should be in the running for Player of the Year. Missing Kevin Deery will be a big loss for next 6 weeks

ped_ped
15/07/2010, 12:00 PM
Too few teams in the league and too many relatively strong teams in the league for ANY team to a soft run of seven games. If Limerick can keep in touch with Derry and capitalise on any slips (while negotiating a tough set of fixtures themselves) then the Derry game in Jackman could be massive.

Good few lads have complained that Jackman's surface could cost us a title challenge, though the pitch was improved beyond recognition for the 5 -0 win over Salthill Devon. We have a strong squad, with technically good players and some astute signings over the mid-season break (Stevo, Rodgers and O'Leary stand out) mean we have one of the best squads in the league in my opinion.

But a lead like Derry's is hard to reel back. May as well roll a dice as try to predict the score vs Shels, Harps, Mons, Cork, Limerick or Waterford.

Hell of a league this year though :)

De Town
15/07/2010, 12:07 PM
Longford Town are really ****ing me off this year. We should be so much further up this league than we are. I don't expect us to be challenging, but we're definitely able to be up there with the likes of Shels and Cork. We've beaten Waterford and Limerick, drawn with Derry away, Shels away and Cork....and then we lose to ****ing Mervue. Inconsistent is an understatement.

ped_ped
15/07/2010, 12:12 PM
I was thinking about that myself, De Town. Looking at Mervue United 4 - 3 Longford Town and thinking about our loss to ye back at the Flansiro. Longford kinda showcase the First Division this year though. Unpredictable as Hell.

Acornvilla
15/07/2010, 12:15 PM
i hate longford arg......

outspoken
15/07/2010, 1:01 PM
we will be alright lads just one of those seasons when we cant seem to move up the table but things will get better and were still in the cup!!!! SO DONT WORRY BE HAPPY :)

De Town
15/07/2010, 1:07 PM
It's just extremely frustrating because the good results I mentioned above show that we have the ability to be competitive in this league this year, but the inconsistency is shocking.

shep
15/07/2010, 1:31 PM
The 1st division is such a tough league,much harder to get promoted from it than to just avoid relegation in prem IMO.In our last few years in it your heart would be in your mouth every week.We had the year of the "playoff" where Galway took our spot...then we blew a big lead the year Cobh went up...and sure the year we won it,we again blew a lead only for Colin Scanlon of Limerick to score with the last kick of the season to get us promoted.

What i will say is it provided me with some of the best(and worst) moments supporting Dundalk.From the highs of that night we got promoted to the lows of getting whipped away to Wexford youths!!!

All the same i am glad to be out of it for now.But entertainment wise it provides drama and un-predictability every single year.I have nothing but respect for the lads who go out and support their clubs week in week out.From a Dundalk fan who saw us at the bottom of the pile under Anderson all i can say is keep the faith and your clubs day will come.

Lim till i die
15/07/2010, 10:10 PM
I think people have maybe been too quick to discount Shels in this thread. The squad that's there at the moment is very poor but has still managed to cling on to the coat tails of the three above and it will be well worth seeing who Alan Matthews is able to bring in in the remainser of the window before writing them off.

It's Derrys division to lose really at this stage and I can't see them dropping enough points. I'd have Limerick favourites for second spot due to having a better squad than Waterford and Mons (and much better than Shels as it stands). We all saw last weekend what happens Waterford when they're missing a few players, Hendo has a very good twelve to fourteen players there but not a hell of a lot besides. One thing going against Limerick though is their complete lack of experience of being in this sort of situation before. Limerick DO NOT KNOW HOW to perform infront of a large crowd. Spanked at home earlier on in the season by a very very crap FORAS side for example. Hopefully the likes of Dave Rodgers will step up to the plate for us but still I'd dread the thoughts of us in the play-offs like!

sheao
15/07/2010, 10:59 PM
Derry have won hand on the title at this stage in my opinion.
When i've seen them this season, it was sort of hard to believe they are playing first divison football.
Whoever goes on a decent run from Waterford, Monaghan and Limerick should get to the playoffs.
From our perspective, 2010 has been about creating a foundation on which to improve for years to come .
I suppose we're doing alright considering we had no preseason more or less, but the football at times has'nt been great .
Playing 4-5-1 at home tells you enough.
With the new additions, hopefully we'll end the season on a high with a few wins put together.
Next season we can give promotion a real crack .

CSFShels
15/07/2010, 11:06 PM
I think people have maybe been too quick to discount Shels in this thread. The squad that's there at the moment is very poor but has still managed to cling on to the coat tails of the three above and it will be well worth seeing who Alan Matthews is able to bring in in the remainser of the window before writing them off.

It's Derrys division to lose really at this stage and I can't see them dropping enough points. I'd have Limerick favourites for second spot due to having a better squad than Waterford and Mons (and much better than Shels as it stands). We all saw last weekend what happens Waterford when they're missing a few players, Hendo has a very good twelve to fourteen players there but not a hell of a lot besides. One thing going against Limerick though is their complete lack of experience of being in this sort of situation before. Limerick DO NOT KNOW HOW to perform infront of a large crowd. Spanked at home earlier on in the season by a very very crap FORAS side for example. Hopefully the likes of Dave Rodgers will step up to the plate for us but still I'd dread the thoughts of us in the play-offs like!
Our squad is much stronger than people would think. Limerick definitely don't have a much better squad than us. We've been through the wars, had almost a completely new squad come through this season, a manager who should never have stayed and eventually left, and we're still 3 points off yous with a game at home to yous at the end of the month. Impossible to say how we'll go now considering we're yet to play a game under our new manager, but our squad is certainly no worse than Limerick or Monaghan's, and I don't think you'll find many people from outside Limerick or Monaghan who would share that opinion.

Lim till i die
15/07/2010, 11:52 PM
Dave Rodgers
Stephen O'Flynn
John Tierney
Jeffrey Judge
Thomas Lyons
Peter White
Daryl Kavanagh
Dave O'Leary
Sean Kelly

There's a list of Limerick players off the top of my head who would walk onto Shelbournes team at the moment.

I'm sure people that know their stuff outside Limerick and Monaghan would share my opinion but whatever, it doesn't really matter :cool:

Darkglasses
16/07/2010, 1:32 AM
Youths must be pretty pleased with how we've gotten on, considering how many of best players we've lost. Conor Sinnott, Patsy, David Breen, Peter White. Gary Sheahan's not scoring the goals at all any more. If I'd known that was all going to happen I'd have expected us to be scrapping Salthill and Mervue, rather than Cork and Shels, considering we had 3 points taken away for fielding that suspended player.

Martinho II
16/07/2010, 6:27 PM
Youths must be pretty pleased with how we've gotten on, considering how many of best players we've lost. Conor Sinnott, Patsy, David Breen, Peter White. Gary Sheahan's not scoring the goals at all any more. If I'd known that was all going to happen I'd have expected us to be scrapping Salthill and Mervue, rather than Cork and Shels, considering we had 3 points taken away for fielding that suspended player.

I am glad darkglasses you acknowledge the fact that ye lost points from that game but tell the fai adminstrators and the press that fact as according to them ye never had 3 points deducted!:(

Mark Breen
16/07/2010, 8:05 PM
Dave Rodgers
Stephen O'Flynn
John Tierney
Jeffrey Judge
Thomas Lyons
Peter White
Daryl Kavanagh
Dave O'Leary
Sean Kelly

There's a list of Limerick players off the top of my head who would walk onto Shelbournes team at the moment.

I'm sure people that know their stuff outside Limerick and Monaghan would share my opinion but whatever, it doesn't really matter :cool:

Great team you have there.... Getting spanked by Wexford youths......

sheao
16/07/2010, 8:07 PM
Saw on the extratime updates that Mc Brides bookmakers in Derry are paying out already for Derry winning the league.

Battery Rover
16/07/2010, 8:26 PM
Dave Rodgers
Stephen O'Flynn
John Tierney
Jeffrey Judge
Thomas Lyons
Peter White
Daryl Kavanagh
Dave O'Leary
Sean Kelly

Some very good players there but I wouldn't agree with Dave Rodgers being as good as if not better than what Shels have. He looked well past his best when we played Cork.

Sam_Heggy
16/07/2010, 11:03 PM
Saw on the extratime updates that Mc Brides bookmakers in Derry are paying out already for Derry winning the league.

ummmmmmm

So, as we near the end of the second series of games it really is Derry's title to throw away with a 10 point lead. In fact, McBride's bookies in Derry have announced that they are paying out on Derry winning the title at 6/1.

Lim till i die
17/07/2010, 12:44 AM

Well if we only started with nine players and no goalkeeper no wonder we got beat.

Scully OUT!!!!!!

Should have started with eleven and cruised to a comfortable win..... much like when we played Shels, a Shelbourne team who despite us playing Wexford with nine men and no goalkeeper, are still below us in the table. :eek:

Lim till i die
17/07/2010, 12:46 AM
Some very good players there but I wouldn't agree with Dave Rodgers being as good as if not better than what Shels have. He looked well past his best when we played Cork.

He absolutely ran the show when we played Cork in fairness to the guy and has looked good since he joined, missing tonight mind (not that that excuses some of the clowning that went on)

Candystripe
17/07/2010, 3:14 AM

Derry's next 7 games are going to shape things up for the division and if they come through that unbeaten then I don't see them being caught.

They have:

Shels (a)
Salthill (h)
Harps (a)
Mons (h)
Cork (h)
Limerick (a)
Waterford (a)

The final 4 games in that are all going to be very tough games and sh!te and all as we are we hope to throw a spanner in the works in 3 weeks time (although it is unlikely).

In those 7 game I can see Limerick and Waterford pretty sure to win 5 of those 7 each and Derry probably will win 3.
The run in is going to be interesting, I would say Limerick are the most likely challengers for the league with Waterford (and Monaghan) falling away.

So we need to win two more gmes from our next six.

We have Salthill then Harps for our next two games so that should be the two games you're talking about as even our reserve team beat your 1st team 2-0.

But my predictions from the start of the league was we would have it wrapped up before Sept ends and I'm not changing my mind.

Mons should finish 2nd.

pineapple stu
17/07/2010, 4:56 AM
Mons should finish 2nd.
Which invites the question which hasn't been asked yet - will the First Division side win the play-off? I think they'd be marginal favourites, regardless of who it is.

dancinpants
17/07/2010, 7:04 AM
Which invites the question which hasn't been asked yet - will the First Division side win the play-off? I think they'd be marginal favourites, regardless of who it is.

Given how we struggled with Bray over two games would suggest a gap still exists between the bottom of the Prem and First. So I'd disagree with "marginal favourites" suggestion. Tight? Yes. But certainly not favourites.

bluewhitearmy
17/07/2010, 10:33 AM

Yep not like the 2 times ye have hammered them this year.........oh wait

passerrby
17/07/2010, 12:19 PM
cant find a match report for the limerick game sounds like a humdinger

Youths4Ever
17/07/2010, 7:43 PM
cant find a match report for the limerick game sounds like a humdinger

made for interesting viewing alright

not that big a surpise we beat Limerick and better side that some giving us credit for in this thread, we have beaten Waterford and Shelbourne this season from memory (so my be wrong) of all teams played twice this season to date only Derry and Monaghan have beaten us twice so i for one am very happy with our position at the moment

Sam_Heggy
17/07/2010, 9:11 PM
To be perfectly honest, this is one of the worst first divisions I have seen in a while. The standard of football is muck to say the least and I can't see the play-off being won by a first division side.

Schumi
17/07/2010, 9:23 PM
Drogheda have improved recently and Galway aren't a bad side. I'd imagine either would be in with a good chance if the first division has gone backwards from last year.

Darkglasses
17/07/2010, 9:27 PM
I am glad darkglasses you acknowledge the fact that ye lost points from that game but tell the fai adminstrators and the press that fact as according to them ye never had 3 points deducted!:(

No lets just keep that to ourselves hey? :)

pineapple stu
18/07/2010, 1:40 PM
Drogheda have improved recently and Galway aren't a bad side. I'd imagine either would be in with a good chance if the first division has gone backwards from last year.
Galway losing both their forwards will hurt them. Drogheda had a new manager boost and seem to have slipped back a bit since then (they lost to Dundalk, which no-one is doing lately). Granted, they should be getting another new manager boost soon. I suppose though I´m biased by our own experiences in the First Division.

MariborKev
18/07/2010, 1:42 PM
Given how we struggled with Bray over two games would suggest a gap still exists between the bottom of the Prem and First. So I'd disagree with "marginal favourites" suggestion. Tight? Yes. But certainly not favourites.

Disagree with that DP. Even the most rabid Bray fan would agree that we absolutely gifted them two of the three goals down there.

Martinho II
18/07/2010, 1:50 PM
No lets just keep that to ourselves hey? :)

after all it has being a good arrangement over the last few months hey!:rolleyes:

monkey9
18/07/2010, 1:57 PM

I think amid all the World Cup games, i completely forgot about your Cup replay with Bray. Who won that?

total hoofball
18/07/2010, 2:57 PM
To be perfectly honest, this is one of the worst first divisions I have seen in a while. The standard of football is muck to say the least and I can't see the play-off being won by a first division side.

I agree with this assessment. From what I've seen of the division this year its definitely weaker than previous seasons, though I can say the same about the Premier this season too.

I saw Derry v Shels the other night and Derry as champions elect were awful for a team that has only lost 1 game in 19. I don't think the weaker first division teams this season have put it up to them, they're not patch on that excellent UCD team that won the league last year. Shels have gone backwards, though I think Matthews will improve them for next season. Waterford have been a massive disappointment this season after such a strong start, they should be challenging for the title not in a dogfight for top 3. Cork are underperforming with one of the strongest squads on paper. Monaghan and Limerick are in their respective positions legitimately, both Mick Cooke and Pat Scully have been quietly building solid teams over the past couple seasons on small budgets but either of them are going to have a tough time trying to beat one of the Premier Division teams in a play-off should they get there, they are still way behind what Drogheda and Galway have.

Lim till i die
01/08/2010, 2:48 AM
Right what do people think now??

You can probably right that crap Shels side out of it now after their utter HUMILIATION last night so you're looking at two playoff spaces between ourselves, Monaghan and Waterford.

Personally, I fancy ourselves and Monaghan. I can't remember the last time I got a good report out of Waterford and the signing of Dyl seems to be going down about half as well as the signing of George O'Callaghan did.

Wouldn't have a clue who'll come second and who'll come third between ourselves and Mons though!!!

Crucial few weeks for Limerick coming up. We have Athlone at home and Mervue away, while Shels will be desperate to restore even a tiny shred of dignity against Waterford and then Mons, while Mons are in the Brandywell next week.

Tis getting INTERESTING peeps!!

Lim till i die
01/08/2010, 2:49 AM
they are still way behind what Drogheda and Galway have.

Debatable to be honest

El-Pietro
01/08/2010, 3:07 AM
Barrett looks to be a great signing for us. We're currently 6th, I don't think we can catch Monaghan Waterford and Limerick though if we could turn our home form around we might be able to catch one of them and make a push towards the playoffs but I'd settle for 5th and finishing ahead of Shels for the first season of fan ownership and kick on from there

Limerick will probably improve with all their new signings and having seen Monaghan twice they are a very good physically strong side that will fear no one.

Magicme
01/08/2010, 3:20 AM
Barrett looks to be a great signing for us. We're currently 6th, I don't think we can catch Monaghan Waterford and Limerick though if we could turn our home form around we might be able to catch one of them and make a push towards the playoffs but I'd settle for 5th and finishing ahead of Shels for the first season of fan ownership and kick on from there

Limerick will probably improve with all their new signings and having seen Monaghan twice they are a very good physically strong side that will fear no one.

Add to that the fact that Whelo is back and we are a very contented bunch up here at the mo. Now to beat Derry, Shelbourne and Dundalk in the next 2 weeks to make things even more perfect......

micls
02/08/2010, 9:17 AM
Right what do people think now??

You can probably right that crap Shels side out of it now after their utter HUMILIATION last night so you're looking at two playoff spaces between ourselves, Monaghan and Waterford.

Personally, I fancy ourselves and Monaghan. I can't remember the last time I got a good report out of Waterford and the signing of Dyl seems to be going down about half as well as the signing of George O'Callaghan did.

Wouldn't have a clue who'll come second and who'll come third between ourselves and Mons though!!!

Crucial few weeks for Limerick coming up. We have Athlone at home and Mervue away, while Shels will be desperate to restore even a tiny shred of dignity against Waterford and then Mons, while Mons are in the Brandywell next week.

Tis getting INTERESTING peeps!!

Limerick's signings has to make them favorites for 2nd imo. They were coming on strong before that and judging from the Shels game the signings haven't disrupted them.

Hard to tell after that but at a guess Mons will grab the 3rd spot, a lot will depend on if Henderson can get Waterford up for it again though. if they can get near the form they showed at the start of the season then they might do something.

OneRedArmy
02/08/2010, 11:41 AM
Based on what I've seen, Derry have been really poor since the break and have been fairly lucky to take 4 points from the Harps and Shels games.

We're obviously favourites but I'd be surprised if the lead is as large in 4 weeks time. Our young lads look to be running out of steam and without McLean both our attack and defence is significant blunted.

That said, if we manage somehow to win the next couple, its pretty much all done as regards the title.

dfx-
02/08/2010, 12:02 PM
Now to beat Derry, Shelbourne and Dundalk in the next 2 weeks to make things even more perfect......

Even an amateur team of kangaroos playing their first ever football match would fancy their chances against Dundalk right now...

I saw Derry v Shels the other night and Derry as champions elect were awful for a team that has only lost 1 game in 19. I don't think the weaker first division teams this season have put it up to them, they're not patch on that excellent UCD team that won the league last year. Shels have gone backwards, though I think Matthews will improve them for next season.

First 1st Div game I've been at this season - Shels more than put it up to them until Farren broke away to equalise. The difference in finishing was clear to see between midtable and top spot..and they took advantage of the shift in momentum to take three points instead of one

Come on Mons..

Jofspring
02/08/2010, 12:10 PM
With Shels, Derry and Cork all still to be played at home i think we have a great chance. Hopefully the extra bit of experience that has been brought in will be a key thing in helping us secure at least a promotion place. Still plenty of chances for Mons and Waterford to drop a few points too. The only tough part for Limerick is they have to travel to the Waterford and Mons where we haven't picked up many points in recent years.

osarusan
02/08/2010, 12:43 PM
Based on what I've seen, Derry have been really poor since the break and have been fairly lucky to take 4 points from the Harps and Shels games.

We're obviously favourites but I'd be surprised if the lead is as large in 4 weeks time. Our young lads look to be running out of steam and without McLean both our attack and defence is significant blunted.

That said, if we manage somehow to win the next couple, its pretty much all done as regards the title.

I can't comment on you running out of steam, but the kind of collapse it would take for you to lose it now is something I'd certainly expect you to avoid.

Limerick looked great in the second half against Shels. We're a team that plays very well with our tails up, but until we go ahead, we can look ordinary.

Our games away to Monaghan and Waterford will be crucial, and a result home to Derry would be useful too. The players we've brought in certainly strengthen the team - it's great to be able to bring on the calibre of substitute we do.

We've lost away to both Waterford and Monaghan, and failed to beat them at home, so it'll be a tough enough task to get past them.

ped_ped
02/08/2010, 9:45 PM
Have to agree with osarusan, whilst nobody likes to jump the gun, it would take some disasterous results for us to fail to win the Division from this position.

I hope I get to put this quote in my signature at the end of this season ;)

Nah, in fairness I'd have to agree. Derry should only be a few games away from all-but-securing the title.

ped_ped
02/08/2010, 10:14 PM
Well personally I'd rather not use the quote . . . if Limerick finish in the play-off sports I hope it's against Mons or Waterford, not Derry!

GalwayRed
02/08/2010, 10:22 PM
Derry should win it now alright and to be fair they looked the strongest of all the teams I've seen us play. Things seem to have gone downhill for Waterford but I still fancy them to nick a play-off spot ahead of Mons. At the moment my moneys on Limerick for 2nd spot. They made a show of us last Friday:(. I just hope we can finish 5th ahead of Cork and Wexford at this stage.

Sam_Heggy
04/08/2010, 11:57 AM
I think it is very possible Monaghan will beat Derry this weekend, especially with Molloy and Harkin rumoured to be out injured from their friendly last night. That will have cut Derry's lead by 5 points (that's a big IF Mons win btw) over the space of 2 weeks, Im sure alarm bells will start then in the muckers camp.
They also have Cork, Limerick and Waterford to follow so I think Kenny will see Monaghan as a huge game for them, win that and I can't see them getting caught, lose and the nerves will set in.

Sam_Heggy
06/08/2010, 8:50 PM
3 dropped point for Derry and Mons making me eat my words.

Derry 50pts
Mons 43pts
Limerick 40pts
Waterford 38pts
Cork 34pts
Shels 33pts

Mons have a tough one next week against Shels as do Derry with Cork, you would expect Limerick to pick up 3 points against Mervue.

I would predict the lead to be down to 5 points next week. All getting interesting all of a sudden.