PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Elliott

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

tetsujin1979
19/03/2004, 6:50 PM
City chief, Kevin Keegan has revealed that leaving striker, Stephen Elliott off the bench for the derby was one of his toughest decisions for the match.The twenty-year-old broke through into the senior squad for the Premiership clash at Anfield in mid February when he was an unused substitute.
The Republic of Ireland U21 international was again on the bench for the FA Cup defeat at Old Trafford before making his debut in the closing minutes in the win at the Reebok.
The return to fitness of Paulo Wanchope then edged the former Academy player out of the picture.
But Kevin Keegan is convinced that the striker, who has scored seven goals in fifteen outings for the second string, is a player for the future.
"The biggest problem for me on Sunday, one of the biggest problems was leaving young Stephen Elliott off the bench," said Kevin Keegan.
"He has done really well and scored again in the reserves win on Tuesday night. I got him in before the derby and said that I knew he thought he was going backwards here."
"That is not the case his training has been exceptional and I really do believe he is one for the future."
"I had to give Paulo the edge because of the experience he has as an international and he has done it all. So I had to explain that to Stephen."

Bowsy
22/03/2004, 10:25 AM
Good to hear positive news about a young Irish forward. City need 3 wins to be safe I reckon. The sooner they achieve that the sooner we'll see Elliott being given a chance to prove himself. Keegan knows that City have nothing but safety to play for and will experiment for next season given the chance. Hopefully Paddy McCarthy gets a chance too. Was hoping Whelan would be part of that experimentation but that's another discussion thread.

DonegalDub
04/10/2004, 1:38 PM
Is it time for Stephen Elliott to be "blooded" in the Senior team? 6 goals from 7 starts for Sunderland isn't a bad return. Better than Connolly and Lee anyway.

roboyle
04/10/2004, 1:41 PM
Haven't seen that much of him, Sunderland ain't on the telly too much these days - looked like a good proposition in their game against Leeds - set up the winner in that game - seems to be very popular among their supporters too...

tetsujin1979
04/10/2004, 1:52 PM
He's been withdrawn from the U-21's - see here (http://www.safc.com/article.asp?article=229288&Title=Elliott+ordered+to+rest&lid=Latest+News&sub=latest+news&navlid=news&sublid=)

It means the 20-year-old striker will be withdrawn from the Republic of Ireland under-21 squad for their game against France on October 8.

DonegalDub
04/10/2004, 2:04 PM
I was thinking mre in terms of next year. He's young but would benefit from squad involvement. I was surprised he didn't get a call up for friendlies ahead of the WC campaign. Alan Lee has nothing but his size to justify his place on the pitch. elliot should be ahead of him in the pecking order

eirebhoy
04/10/2004, 3:38 PM
I was surprised he didn't get a call up for friendlies ahead of the WC campaign.
Honestly? That would make a mockery of our national team to call up a player who had never played a game at club level.

There's no doubt he'll be called up to next months friendly though. Its only a matter of time before Doc is dropped by Kerr.

dynamo kerry
04/10/2004, 3:51 PM
firstly it's 5 goals in seven league starts- he may have scored league cup goals- I'm not sure

the doc is in trouble if he's being left on the bench by naaawrich.

elliot to play in the nov friendly without doubt. expecially if he's up to 10 goals by then

DonegalDub
05/10/2004, 10:35 AM
elliot to play in the nov friendly without doubt. expecially if he's up to 10 goals by then

I've no doubt he will! He made a great move in going to Sunderland, and he's taken his chance with both feet...and head. Think he's a real star of the future by all accounts.

only1kilbane
05/10/2004, 10:47 AM
yeah as a sunderland fan well happy with his progress. Its a pity for him kevin kyle is injured as he would score a lot more alongside a target man rather than marcus stewart who he is quite similar too. Hopefully he will get a good season under his belt and maybe get a run in a friendly in feb

SÓC
05/10/2004, 11:08 AM
Anyone who has seen the U-21s this season will have been impressed with the way Kevin Dolye (7 League Goals form 10 games as a stirker plus two against Natntes and NEC) and Elliot (who is pure class) combine.

I'd have the two boys in the squad as strikers ahead of the Doc any day.

Slash/ED
05/10/2004, 6:25 PM
Anyone who has seen the U-21s this season will have been impressed with the way Kevin Dolye (7 League Goals form 10 games as a stirker plus two against Natntes and NEC) and Elliot (who is pure class) combine.

I'd have the two boys in the squad as strikers ahead of the Doc any day.

Sorry, Doyle plays in the Eircom League and so ability and performances don't really count for anything, he's automatically rubbish and wont prove himself until he moves to the big leagues, like the Scottish third division or something.

Plastic Paddy
05/10/2004, 8:46 PM
Sorry, Doyle plays in the Eircom League and so ability and performances don't really count for anything, he's automatically rubbish and wont prove himself until he moves to the big leagues, like the Scottish third division or something.

Suffering a persecution complex are we Slash? :rolleyes: ;)

If Doyle's any good, won't it be only a matter of time before an English club comes a-calling? And couldn't the same be said for Hoolahan at Shelbourne?

I'll get me coat...

:ball: PP

SÓC
06/10/2004, 9:16 AM
Suffering a persecution complex are we Slash? :rolleyes: ;)

If Doyle's any good, won't it be only a matter of time before an English club comes a-calling? And couldn't the same be said for Hoolahan at Shelbourne?

I'll get me coat...

:ball: PP
Donno about Hoolahan but English clubs have come calling for Doyler, a lot of them a good few times. He stayed in Ireland to do his leaving cert and is also tied down to a three year contract at Cork City, luckily for us:D

Greenbod
06/10/2004, 9:56 AM
Donno about Hoolahan but English clubs have come calling for Doyler, a lot of them a good few times. He stayed in Ireland to do his leaving cert and is also tied down to a three year contract at Cork City, luckily for us:D

Yes, he'll need a good leaving cert, if he's going to stay in Cork, cause there's not much hope of a future in football there. :)

DonegalDub
22/10/2004, 2:08 PM
This from Sunderland's official website 20/10/04:

"Stephen Elliott was in seventh heaven after making a successful return from injury at Watford last night.

The young Irishman scored his seventh goal of the season in Sunderland's 1-1 draw to nudge ahead of Marcus Stewart in the goalscoring charts.

Elliott, back in business after a groin injury, is now the club's leading scorer and is being tipped to become a full international by boss Mick McCarthy.

The striker said: "I'm happy to get back into the team and to be scoring again. As long as I'm playing and getting goals for Sunderland, then that's all I'm worrying about.

"Of course it's a big ambition of mine to play for my country at senior level and it's flattering to have people saying nice things about you.

"But I still have a lot to learn and at the moment I'm just trying hard in every training session and every game for Sunderland to get better and do the best I can for this club."

eirebhoy
25/10/2004, 5:06 PM
For those who haven't seen Elliott play, Rotherham v Sunderland is on Sky Sports at 8 tonight.

Willo Flood will most likely start the Carling cup game for Man City against Arsenal on Wednesday which is on Sky Sports too. Liverpool play Millwall tomorrow so could get to see Stack, Dunne, Potter, Partridge..

Slash/ED
25/10/2004, 6:22 PM
Speaking of Willo Flood, he made an appearence away to Newcastle yesturday, off the bench I think, he came very close to scoring too.

drinkfeckarse
25/10/2004, 8:40 PM
Only caught a glimpse but I'm sure it was Willo that lost the ball at the edge of City's box for Newcastle to then score the winner :(

No big deal I know, all part of the learning process.

Condex
25/10/2004, 9:11 PM
Elliott looked very good tonight, not very big but very mobile and good skill.
Granted this was against a very poor Rotherham side.

Slash/ED
25/10/2004, 9:15 PM
He was given man of the match too. Very unlucky not to score when he hit the bar with a cracking shot.

eirebhoy
25/10/2004, 9:41 PM
Granted this was against a very poor Rotherham side.
I wouldn't fancy facing those two centre half's. :)

Elliott's finishing today wasn't the best. He did well though and set up the goal with great control.

BTW, how Julio Arca is still in division one is madness, he's a quality player.

Bowsy
26/10/2004, 10:34 AM
Only caught a glimpse but I'm sure it was Willo that lost the ball at the edge of City's box for Newcastle to then score the winner :(

Yeah, that was Willo but apart from that looked fairly lively. Just a bit of inexperience and a slight lack of strength. look forward to seeing him again on wednesday.

Elliott looked good last night. Cracking effort off the bar and great play for the goal even though it was way offside.

zinedineontour
26/10/2004, 1:42 PM
Elliott was superb again last night just needs to be a bit more composed on the finishing and he will be fine. Hopefully with a good run in the sunderland side and the fans behind him he will start improving in front of goal..Has to be one of the buys of the season though only costing 125,000

zinedineontour
26/10/2004, 1:46 PM
BTW, how Julio Arca is still in division one is madness, he's a quality player.

DOnt think he will be with us much longer. Hes been offered a new contract but think he is holding out for january. Far too good for Div 1 and Celtic were looking for him during the Summer

Plastic Paddy
26/10/2004, 1:50 PM
DOnt think he will be with us much longer. Hes been offered a new contract but think he is holding out for january. Far too good for Div 1 and Celtic were looking for him during the Summer

I'd have him at CP like a shot. But then, given Celtic's dreadful recent record in terms of signings, I'd also take Joan of Arca. :D

:D PP

drummerboy
27/10/2004, 11:20 AM
Saw young Elliott the other night and thought he was excellent. Hel's bright, full of running and can beat his man with trickery, all this and he is lighting fast.

Watched Millwall v Liverpool last night with plenty of Irish interest. Stack, Dunne and Healy for Milwall and Potter and Finnan for Liverpool. Stack made an unfortunate mistake for Liverpools second. Dunne never really got into the game. Potter improved when he was was moved in from the wing and made the third goal. A young guy called Healy came on for Millwall, never heard of him, but sky comentator said he English born with Irish father. Prolific scorer in youth football and wants to play for Ireland.

Beavis
27/10/2004, 11:53 AM
Willo Flood got on for Man City first team against Newcastle on Sunday.Had a nice run where he beat two players and had a shot,but was beaten by Bernard(a bit unfortunate) for the goal.should start to get into the side more now,watch this space...

tetsujin1979
28/10/2004, 8:50 AM
Watched the game, it was dire. Apart from Flood and Shaun Wright-Phillips we were woeful, come in Robbie Fowler, your time is up.

Willo started on the right and was moved onto the left late in the 1st half, seemed comfortable on both wings, but I thought he did more on the right. Could have been due to the full backs he was playing against though.

Paddy McCarthy was on the bench but didn't come on.

Keegan has stated he sees Shaun as a striker long term, and Flood as the right winger. We're playing Norwich at home on monday, so if Anelka and Macken don't recover from minor injuries by then I'd expect him to get his first Premiership start

Bowsy
28/10/2004, 10:54 AM
Watched the game, it was dire. Apart from Flood and Shaun Wright-Phillips we were woeful, come in Robbie Fowler, your time is up.

Willo started on the right and was moved onto the left late in the 1st half, seemed comfortable on both wings, but I thought he did more on the right. Could have been due to the full backs he was playing against though.

Paddy McCarthy was on the bench but didn't come on.

Keegan has stated he sees Shaun as a striker long term, and Flood as the right winger. We're playing Norwich at home on monday, so if Anelka and Macken don't recover from minor injuries by then I'd expect him to get his first Premiership start

Watched this last night. Dire stuff from a city point of view. Thought Willo did better than most with some very nice passes and good delivery bar one corner but needs to build up his strength more. He still slightly lacking a bit of sharpness but it will come if he gets games. Thought the young lad Larsson who marked him in the first half was impressive though despite the woeful haircut (or lack of).
Wright-Phillips looked very good but no shock there. Too bad about the rest of the shams in blue.
The only positive from my point of view is hopefully we'll get to see some of Arsenal's young Irish this season. Saw Cregg was on the bench last night. Arsenal's website gives a glowing report on Stokes too suggesting he might get to show his stuff in this competition.

Kevin77
29/10/2004, 4:41 AM
Another astute piece of business by Keegan to get rid of Elliott so cheap!

Condex
30/10/2004, 9:55 AM
Hes should be playing at Millwall next Friday 5th Nov, a good chance for people living in London to see him.

Though £25.40(inc booking fees) from ticketmaster is a bit steep for Div1 game.

Irish_Praha
31/10/2004, 2:14 PM
Jaysus that's some ripoff. I was at a Bundesliga game less than 2 years ago between Bayern and Nurnberg and the tickets were only 12 euro.

zinedineontour
02/11/2004, 8:01 AM
yeah and its on skysports on friday so gives everyone a chance to look at him. as a sunderland fan hes done well this year just needs to improve his finishing but his workrate is second to none

Closed Account 2
02/11/2004, 8:20 AM
Jaysus that's some ripoff. I was at a Bundesliga game less than 2 years ago between Bayern and Nurnberg and the tickets were only 12 euro.

Yeah went to a couple of Serie A and CL matches this Sept, all 18 Euros or less inc. ones in San Sero and Olympico (except Juve CL match which was 22 Euro). Last year saw some matches in Spain again cheaper than Div 1, Real Madrid was 18 Euros, Atletico Madrid around 16. Div 1's a rip off.

eirebhoy
02/11/2004, 9:28 PM
Elliott scored a cracking volley tonight. Liam Lawrence scored the other two, unsuprisingly Arca got 2 assists (if only he had an Irish granny :( ).

Slash/ED
02/11/2004, 9:46 PM
Lawrence who wants to play for us, not sure he's quite good enough mind you, but it's good to see him doing well.

zinedineontour
03/11/2004, 8:15 AM
Having seen Lawrence a few times for sunderland this year he is the real deal. He plays on the right of midfield and is a winger who will take people on and put in great crosses. Last year for mansfield he scored 20 goals and has already got 3 this year for us so think worth giving a run out.

colster
03/11/2004, 10:22 AM
Brian Kerr was at the match last night. So it looks likely that Elliiot will be named in the squad for the upcoming friendlies

zinedineontour
03/11/2004, 10:32 AM
Brian Kerr was at the match last night. So it looks likely that Elliiot will be named in the squad for the upcoming friendlies

yeah saw that hopefully he will take a look at liam lawrence as well

thejollyrodger
08/11/2004, 9:32 AM
this is a real sickner

Elliott ruled out of Kerr's Croatia plans
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1283526&issue_id=11663

A FOOT injury has ended striker Stephen Elliott's chances of making an early impression on Ireland manager Brian Kerr in next Tuesday's international against Croatia at Lansdowne Road.

However, there was good news on the striking front for Kerr, who announces his panel in Dublin today, when Clinton Morrison looking likely to return.

Elliott, Ireland's record goalscorer at Under-21 level, has been in explosive form for former Irish manager Mick McCarthy at Sunderland. However, in becoming the club's leading goalscorer by nabbing his seventh goal in last week's win against Wolves, Elliott picked up a foot injury which subsequently ruled him out of Friday's league game with Millwall.

Sunderland are unlikely to risk allowing his involvement, a blow for Kerr as he would have been eager to test his former protégé's in top-class international fare.

Buoyed by Saturday's excellent win at Anfield, Steve Bruce is likely to match Morrison's enthusiasm and allow his recovering striker to be included in Kerr's squad after limping out of Ireland's 0-0 draw in Paris last month.

Morrison made a quicker than expected return to training at the weekend, reporting no reaction to his recent surgery and a return to action has been pencilled in for this Saturday against Everton.

Elliott's difficulty may open the door for Aiden McGeady to re-assert his claims after the Celtic youngster scored his second successive league goal in Saturday's SPL win against Kilmarnock.

Southampton's Rory Delap should return after a series of impressive appearances in central midfield, but John O'Shea's imminent hernia operation could rule him out.

David Kelly

colster
08/11/2004, 11:08 AM
this is a real sickner

Yeah it's disappointing but if he's not 100% then we shouldn't pick him.
I'd rather he makes his debut when he's in peak condition. To risk him now might set him back.

DonegalDub
17/11/2004, 11:43 AM
Good display from the young lad last night, I thought. He didn't seem out of place or fazed by the occasion. Himself and robbie need more games together to get the signals right but they play a similar type of game.

zinedineontour
17/11/2004, 1:35 PM
Was at 3 sunderland games this season and hes looked a different class. Great game last night if Robbies finishing was decent could have had 2 assists. Pity he wasnt given a more forward role on his debut rather than playing him wide on the right out of position.

thejollyrodger
21/11/2004, 2:10 PM
Elliott scored in the 60th minute in Sunderland's 2-0 win over Ipswich :)

Fergie's Son
22/11/2004, 12:23 AM
Evidently he backheeled it in...nice and cheeky! From the reports he had a great game. Early days yet but the signs are encouraging. We are desperate for another creative striker and Elliot could be the man. If he keeps scoring at this rate then he may get a look-on for Tel-Aviv (unless Kerr decides to get conservative against the Israelis). Good signs indeed.

tricky_colour
22/11/2004, 1:16 AM
Well the lad is putting the ball in the back of the net on a fairly
regular basis which is a nice habit if you are a striker.
Hopefully he will be playing Premiership football next season if
Sunderlands good form continues (currently 3rd and they have won 5
of thier last 6 games).
It would mean Mick McCarthy is back in the Premiership too!

Plastic Paddy
22/11/2004, 7:45 AM
I agree on all points t_c. It will be interesting to see how Mick Mac fares in the Premiership, and only a good thing for the likes of Elliott to be playing there on a regular basis. Bring it on I say. :)

:D PP

Condex
22/11/2004, 9:36 AM
Evidently he backheeled it in...nice and cheeky! From the reports he had a great game. Early days yet but the signs are encouraging. We are desperate for another creative striker and Elliot could be the man. If he keeps scoring at this rate then he may get a look-on for Tel-Aviv (unless Kerr decides to get conservative against the Israelis). Good signs indeed.

He did not have a great game, up until he scored he was very quiet, which was not really his fault as the delivery from the back and midfield was poor. But after he scored he suddenly sprung into life.

TheJamaicanP.M.
22/11/2004, 10:35 AM
Agree with Condex, he got lively after he scored. The service to the front men improved. I've felt for some time that this Irish team needs a goal poacher, someone a bit different to Robbie who spends too much time outside the box. I feel Elliott may just be that player. He already has 8 league goals this season, plus one or two in the league cup. His scoring record is perhaps more impressive than Robbie Keane's debut season with Wolves. Would be great to see Elliott in the Premiership. Sunderland have not got the strongest of teams in the First Division and this just proves what a great manager Mick McCarthy is. Well done Mick.