PDA

View Full Version : Uniquely Irish

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

dahamsta
26/07/2010, 9:48 AM
Yeah, but The Wife sounds normal, whereas "my wife" sounds, well, a bit ghey...

Riddickcule
26/07/2010, 4:56 PM
everyone in longford says ''(watch your)house'' aswell
Everyone round my parts say that aswell. As in look behind you.

SkStu
26/07/2010, 8:59 PM
would ye get up ourra dat.

Paddyfield
26/07/2010, 9:48 PM
Both if possible Acornvilla. Does this forum contain both Irish born and British born fans?

You just got to talk to Jeff Kenna, a Dubliner who won the League with Blackburn Rovers. He truly embraced his life in Britian to the extent that when he became manager of St Patrick's Athletic, he commuted from his family in Birmingham. He flew in and out of Dublin a few times a week for games and training sessions. That arrangement didn't last too long.

Docboy
27/07/2010, 5:15 PM
"The further we go the further we're gonna be from where we are!" - a slow-witted pal of mine came out with this beauty whilst on a trip to Amsterdam ten years or so back. A local woman was lucky enough to be within earshot while we had the pleasure of watching her walk across the square cracking up the whole way.

Paddyfield
27/07/2010, 6:40 PM
People who still say Pounds instead of Euro.

dahamsta
27/07/2010, 8:01 PM
People who say euro instead of euros. (Not you in particularly Paddyfield, you just reminded me.) It's a horrific mangling of the english language and a tragedy that the popular media use it in their guidelines.

stann
27/07/2010, 8:44 PM
That's a pet hate of mine too.
Even more so as the Brussels honchos were at pains to make clear at the time that it was perfectly acceptable for those languages that pluralise with an added 's' to use Euros instead.
Euro sounds false and horrible and "How continental are we?!!".

SkStu
27/07/2010, 9:55 PM
pound was pretty common too, dont forget...

"how much is that?"

"five pound."

and it didnt sound too continental whenever i heard it..... ;)

dahamsta
27/07/2010, 10:30 PM
I'm being pedantic now, but that's different. The media actually have guidelines that require them to use "euro", which were introduced at the behest of the government of the time. Presumably some idiot there thought it'd be very european.

So when you hear someone on the street saying it, it's because the newsreaders in RTE and the journalists in the Times and De Paper were told to use it. If they hadn't, they wouldn't have, and we'd be calling them euros.

John83
27/07/2010, 11:47 PM
People who say euro instead of euros. (Not you in particularly Paddyfield, you just reminded me.) It's a horrific mangling of the english language and a tragedy that the popular media use it in their guidelines.
Yeah, it's terrible all of these sheep, following the recommended plural of a made up word.

dahamsta
28/07/2010, 7:27 AM
Recommended by the Irish government? The one that's trying to bankrupt the country? ;)

pineapple stu
28/07/2010, 8:59 AM
Yeah, it's terrible all of these sheep, following the recommended plural of a made up word.
It's not the recommended plural. Or not any more (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_issues_concerning_the_euro#English), at least.

The Directorate-General for Translation now recommends that the regular plurals, euros and cents, be used

I find saying "pounds" gets around all that crap though.

Wolfie
28/07/2010, 12:45 PM
Bring Back Barter.

We should organise a campaign.

What could we trade in??

John83
28/07/2010, 3:37 PM
Bring Back Barter.

We should organise a campaign.

What could we trade in??
Well not bitterness, anyway. We'd have runaway inflation these days.

Mad Moose
28/12/2012, 6:29 PM
This is something I thought I'd drag up again rather than start a new thread. This time its with more emphasis on the spoken word and phrases we have uniquely as Irish. The longer I'm away from Ireland the more I notice the little things. As a fan of Horse Racing I enjoy RTE's racing coverage and particularly the presence of the wonderful trainer Ted Walsh as analyst on live coverage. Today at Leopardstown he just came out with a couple of phrases that caught my ear and I liked them.

In describing a win shorter than a 'Short Head' he descibed this as a 'snot' as in 'there wasn't a snot between them'. In describing one of son Ruby's winners he talked of Ruby delivering 'the mother and father of slaps' to the horse.

I think the Irish use of the language and Irish with is truly special and unique as well as been warm, colourful and very comical in itself. Dublin and Ulster wit and humour are the two I most fondly remember.

BonnieShels
31/12/2012, 1:59 PM
I love our usage of the language. Well done harpsbear with those ones. I've heard the phrase "mammy and daddy of all..." many times.

However I have to say I loathe it when people say euros and cents. Euro and cent just seems to sound better (and it sis in 1999 too!) regardless of the grammatical issues and ire it raises.

Mad Moose
09/03/2013, 7:39 PM
Listening to a couple of documentaries on RTE and reminded me of how warm and wonderful our stories are. Some of you may even have encountered this pair of characters though Conor may be not be quite the image and character his father was but he tells the stories so well. The St Martin de Porres story had me in stitches.

http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2010/pc/pod-v-25091033m04sjourneydoconone.mp3

And I love the following with some words mentioned unique to that part of the country.

So if I use the word 'Fosie (Sp?) would you know what I was talking about?.

Or from Donegal 'Gutties'. Again would you know what I was talking about?.

Or Gluggers? Do you know what is referred to as Gluggers? I wonder where it came from.

Can't find the link to that documentary that talks of 'Fosie' (Sp).

Mad Moose
19/06/2013, 12:45 PM
Just a little more on this.

Does anybody remember this pair from 1985? I have to be honest I hadn't heard this story and it's incredible. Listening to Keith in the interview at the end is so funny. For the 40 minute tale before hand and then to hear that lad. What a story though

pod-v-docononedontgofar-pid0-2326909.mp3

Another that had real resonance for me as for most of my 18 years growing up at home we had land beside this village so I know the place very well.

pod-v-15121042m19sdocononegorthaganny.mp3

And finally. My favourite poet and a romantic tale very well told. A little insight in the life of Patrick Kavanagh, the poet from Mucker.

pod-v-040993-29m15s-poet-doconone.mp3

CraftyToePoke
20/06/2013, 3:13 AM
So if I use the word 'Fosie (Sp?) would you know what I was talking about?.

Or from Donegal 'Gutties'. Again would you know what I was talking about?.

Or Gluggers? Do you know what is referred to as Gluggers? I wonder where it came from.

A Glugger is a word I remember being used by older people in Limerick when I was a child, but I haven't heard now in years. It meant an egg which didn't hatch, or produce. Is that the meaning you have for it also?

And I'd like to know the other two. Not heard those words before.

Mad Moose
20/06/2013, 11:45 AM
A Glugger is a word I remember being used by older people in Limerick when I was a child, but I haven't heard now in years. It meant an egg which didn't hatch, or produce. Is that the meaning you have for it also?

And I'd like to know the other two. Not heard those words before.

Well done. Thats the 'Glugger' I had. A dud essentially.

As for the other two. I'm surprised there's not been an answer from somebody. As I know it we have a few folk here from Monaghan and Donegal. Gutties is one I know from Donegal. I sometimes slip into using it. Gutties are trainers/runners.

I'm not revealing the other only because I can't remember :) I will find the documentary again.

nigel-harps1954
20/06/2013, 11:38 PM
What in the hell is a guttie?

Mad Moose
21/06/2013, 11:41 AM
What in the hell is a guttie?

Well it's Gutties, plural, as in a pair of gutties.

You don't use that term then?

BonnieShels
21/06/2013, 11:51 AM
Well it's Gutties, plural, as in a pair of gutties.

You don't use that term then?

He's half-Roscommoner. He has a limited amount of language ability as a result.

nigel-harps1954
22/06/2013, 8:44 PM
Nonsense. Never heard the term in my life! Must be a townie thing.

Also, being half Ros and half Donegal makes sure of one thing...I'll never miss an ounce of farmer slang.

Mad Moose
24/06/2013, 5:22 PM
The Monaghan term Fosie (sp?) refers so soft spongy ground or indeed half baked bread. Now another term from Monaghan and like fosie, seems to be unique to Monaghan is Foosie which is a term for dessert. Origin unknown.

On that note I'll get me gutties.

Ozymandias
01/07/2013, 4:25 PM
a glugger is also a spit with snot in it. ..just passing on the info

BonnieShels
05/07/2013, 1:11 PM
a glugger is also a spit with snot in it. ..just passing on the info

That's a "gollier" in Dublin.

nigel-harps1954
06/07/2013, 3:28 PM
Funny I've always known them as a 'greenhorn'

Charlie Darwin
06/07/2013, 3:42 PM
That's a "gollier" in Dublin.
Gozzy was more popular round my way.

Mad Moose
03/08/2013, 7:01 PM
This is the effort of a colleague of mine at work. She's very keen on photography and making videos and this amateur effort from a trip to Ireland in March is worth a look and a nod toward.

http://vimeo.com/61680679