PDA

View Full Version : Songs/Chants for the Singing Section

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

eirebhoy
11/01/2009, 12:36 PM
Seperate thread for song suggestions. I'll edit this post to add to the list.

Amhrán na bhFiann
On The One Road
Come on you boys in Green
Stand up for the Boys in Green
Fields of Athenry
All you need is Duff (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=1090694&postcount=14)
Robbie Keane (To the tune of "New York, New York") (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=1090693&postcount=13)
Óró, sé do bheatha 'bhaile (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=1084740&postcount=2)

Green Tribe
11/01/2009, 5:29 PM
I'm sure there'll be a new thread for this but we really have to start singing the song Ozymandias suggested last year:

Óró, sé do bheatha 'bhaile! Óró, sé do bheatha 'bhaile!

Óró, sé do bheatha 'bhaile........! Anois ar theacht Trappattoni.

I got a group in the pub singing that after the Georgia game and it was brilliant. Everyone instinctively goes faster and faster with each chorus clapping their hands and banging anything in sight. :)

Agreed, that and "On the one road" :)

kingdomkerry
12/01/2009, 11:58 AM
Everybody better learn the words so!

(Chorus)
We're on the one road
Sharing the one load
We're on the road to God knows where
We're on the one road
It may be the wrong road
But we're together now who cares
North men, South men, comrades all
Dublin, Belfast, Cork and Donegal
We're on the one road swinging along
Singing a soldier's song

Though we've had our troubles now and then
Now is the time to make them up again
Sure aren't we all Irish anyhow
Now is the time to step together now

(Chorus repeat)

Tinker, tailor, every mother's son
Butcher, baker shouldering his gun
Rich man, poor man, every man in line
All together just like Old Land Syne

(Chorus repeat)

Night is darkest just before the dawn
From dissention Ireland is reborn
Soon we'll all be United Irishmen
Make our land a Nation Once Again

(Chorus repeat)

pateen
16/01/2009, 8:34 AM
I'm sure there'll be a new thread for this but we really have to start singing the song Ozymandias suggested last year:

Óró, sé do bheatha 'bhaile! Óró, sé do bheatha 'bhaile!

Óró, sé do bheatha 'bhaile........! Anois ar theacht Trappattoni.

I got a group in the pub singing that after the Georgia game and it was brilliant. Everyone instinctively goes faster and faster with each chorus clapping their hands and banging anything in sight. :)

Brilliant :D

paul_oshea
21/01/2009, 3:47 PM
Stuff could even be synchronised between both sets if we got 1600. You know like one chant from half and the other chant something else. Or 1/4 chant, the other do something else etc.

Ari Gold
21/01/2009, 3:48 PM
Instead of the usual "Stand up for the boys in green"....how about "BOUNCE/JUMP.....for the boys in green" ??

Also the "Sing your hearts out for the lads" tune could work ...although it may sound a little "too british" in tone.

Kingdom
21/01/2009, 3:51 PM
Stuff could even be synchronised between both sets if we got 1600. You know like one chant from half and the other chant something else. Or 1/4 chant, the other do something else etc.

Exactly. Its not going to be perfect immediately, as there are going to be a few of the new crowd (myself incl) who won't be used to supporting a team week in week out, in the traditional sense.
I'm more than willing to watch listen and learn (loudly) from the LoI Fans.

paul_oshea
21/01/2009, 4:27 PM
Oro se do bheatha abhaile has to be the main one i reckon, a bit of irishness a bit of pride. Btw i realise the irony i spelt it wrong, but still the point is there :D

paul_oshea
21/01/2009, 4:28 PM
oh ya and watch it get faster and faster. Like the cruachan version :D

jbyrne
21/01/2009, 4:48 PM
the singing section is a very positive move. one suggestion i would give is that things are kept very simple to start off with. have to be realistic in that new songs will take a while to take off particularly if not straight forward. eg. i doubt most fans would know more than one verse of the fields and its been sung for years. given the poor atmosphere at most recent games it would be a huge success to even get all signing what they already know.

fair play to those who pushed for this so hard with the fai

zenokelly
21/01/2009, 5:47 PM
Agree with everything you said jbyrne. We need to keep it simple so we create a great atmosphere with the others around the stadium able to join in.

As I said in another thread this is a song that I think would be able to take off easily as it's easy to catch on to:

to the tune of "Fernando Torres Liverpool's no. 9"

When Kevin goes marching Down the wing KILBANE KILBANE
When Kevin goes marching Down the wing KILBANE KILBANE
When Kevin goes marching Down the wing the south terrace stand up and sing
We All Know That Kevin's gonna score

Na na na na na na na na KILBANE KILBANE,
na na na na na na na na KILBANE KILBANE
na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na
We All Know That Kevin's Gonna Score

It would be fantastic to hear that blared around Croker in 3 weeks time.

Fair play to YBIG and the FAI(although it is overdue).:ball:

irishultra
21/01/2009, 7:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLFppDPUzTw&feature=channel_page

:)

eirebhoy
21/01/2009, 8:43 PM
Da, da, da, da-da, da.
Da, da, da, da-da, da.
Da, da, da, da-da, da.
Start spreading the news,
he's playing today.
He's going to score a goal for us, Keano, Keano.
If he can, *clap*clap*, score from there, he'll score from, *clap*clap*, Anywhere.
It's up to you Keano, Keanoooo.
Da, da, da, da-da, da
Da, da, da, da-da, da..."

eirebhoy
21/01/2009, 8:44 PM
All you need is Duff,
da da da da da da,
All ya need is Duff,
da da da da da da,
All you need is Duff, Duff,
Duff is all ya need,
Duff is all you need.

DmanDmythDledge
21/01/2009, 8:51 PM
How bout this; heard somebody else sing this before, on their own and drunk (presumably :p).

Woah-oh we're half way there,
Woah-oh Given is our player,
He's got great hands,
And he'll save it swear,
Woah-oh, Given is our player.

Colie
21/01/2009, 9:06 PM
How bout this; heard somebody else sing this before, on their own and drunk (presumably :p).

Woah-oh we're half way there,
Woah-oh Given is our player,
He's got great hands,
And he'll save it swear,
Woah-oh, Given is our player.
Livin on a prayer yeah; I'm taking credit here thanks. Made it up in a bar in Paris before the match. One correction "He'll save us I swear". And don't forget the last big roar of "Given is our player" at the end like in the song. Gas one that. I sing it in all states of mind... but always on my own.

Another is the "Trappatoni's Green n White Army". With the auld "Green Army, Green Army, Who are we? Green Army" thrown in for good measure every so often. Sounds great with the bodhrán. Probably be better with drums. The Derry lads are absolutely great for that at their matches. I'm good for that one for the entirelty of each half.... again.

Razors left peg
21/01/2009, 9:25 PM
Da, da, da, da-da, da.
Da, da, da, da-da, da.
Da, da, da, da-da, da.
Start spreading the news,
he's playing today.
He's going to score a goal for us, Keano, Keano.
If he can, *clap*clap*, score from there, he'll score from, *clap*clap*, Anywhere.
It's up to you Keano, Keanoooo.
Da, da, da, da-da, da
Da, da, da, da-da, da..."

Thats brilliant:D

paul_oshea
22/01/2009, 11:10 AM
i think our own chants with our own air would be better rather than taking from english terrace chants.

Also for a start i think whoever said keep it simple is best ,with a list of 4 tunes and get them going, next tme 6 etc. Probably better to focus less on player tunes as oppossed to actual songs for starting with(just a suggestion). Do ye think the FAI might print songs on a seat or something or lyrics for those who wouldn't know them all? Personally Id be grand with on the one road, fields, but only the chorus of Oro sé do bheatha abhaile.

Living on a player would be a good song too, as can be adapted really for anyone quite easily and everyone knows the main lyrics so simple to change it.

Btw we need to be "singing"(roaring) for 3 people to emphasise it. so make sure ye shout loud, even bring a loudspeaker thingie :D

Green Tribe
22/01/2009, 11:28 AM
agree with paul o'shea!

Sligo Hornet
22/01/2009, 11:39 AM
agree with paul o'shea!

Blimey.........that's a first!;)

Greenforever
22/01/2009, 12:17 PM
i think our own chants with our own air would be better rather than taking from english terrace chants.

Do ye think the FAI might print songs on a seat or something or lyrics for those who wouldn't know them all?

Agreed, could the ybig lads persuade the FAI to post the lyrics of a few chosen songs on the big tv screens like National Anthem is????

RonnieB
22/01/2009, 12:25 PM
oh ya and watch it get faster and faster. Like the cruachan version :D

The cruachan version is great as are cruachan!

paul_oshea
22/01/2009, 12:30 PM
green one that would be a good idea, but how do they know what we are singing our when we sing which?!

ya it is, so is ride on ronnie, didnt realise ye like them. I mentioned them before on here.

irishultra
22/01/2009, 2:01 PM
wont we need someone with a bit of guts to orchestrate things. i berlin they had a guy on the track with one of those speaker thingys,

Mento
22/01/2009, 2:03 PM
One I feel could work is the one the Scots sing

We’ll be coming, we’ll be coming
we’ll be coming Lansdowne Road
When you hear the noise of the mighty Irish boys
We’ll be coming Lansdowne Road

There will be pages decocated to the SS in YBIG which will be av available on all the seats in the SS against Georgia so keep the ideas coming

gspain
22/01/2009, 2:35 PM
Molly Malone was an old favourite of mine but clap your hands and chant Ireland instead of the chorus.

In Dublin's fair city where the girls are so pretty
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone
As she wheeled her wheelbarrow
through streets broad and narrow crying

clap clap clap
Ireland
clap clap clap
Ireland

Back in th e70's and 80's the football fans used to sing as above and the rugby crowd sang the chorus. then the rugby crowd got all the tickets in the early 90's and it changed.

We really should bring that one back.

RonnieB
22/01/2009, 2:37 PM
green one that would be a good idea, but how do they know what we are singing our when we sing which?!

ya it is, so is ride on ronnie, didnt realise ye like them. I mentioned them before on here.

First saw them in England at Bloodstock in Derby back in 03 and twice since in Dublin.

aidz1
22/01/2009, 3:01 PM
One I feel could work is the one the Scots sing

We’ll be coming, we’ll be coming
we’ll be coming Lansdowne Road
When you hear the noise of the mighty Irish boys
We’ll be coming Lansdowne Road

There will be pages decocated to the SS in YBIG which will be av available on all the seats in the SS against Georgia so keep the ideas coming

Dont agree. Leave that one to the scots...we have enough irish songs to works with...
If we are to take other songs in, then get good ones like this
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a9ImCgiTV6I

Molly Malone was an old favourite of mine but clap your hands and chant Ireland instead of the chorus.

In Dublin's fair city where the girls are so pretty
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone
As she wheeled her wheelbarrow
through streets broad and narrow crying

clap clap clap
Ireland
clap clap clap
Ireland

Back in th e70's and 80's the football fans used to sing as above and the rugby crowd sang the chorus. then the rugby crowd got all the tickets in the early 90's and it changed.

Now we're talking ..in fairness i recall old molly sang the way it should up to '96ish.

think it deserves an airing

irishultra
22/01/2009, 5:39 PM
shipping out to boston by dropkick murphys MUST be the song when the players come out.

:( well on the one road will do i guess :)

eirebhoy
22/01/2009, 5:48 PM
Also for a start i think whoever said keep it simple is best ,with a list of 4 tunes and get them going, next tme 6 etc. Probably better to focus less on player tunes as oppossed to actual songs for starting with(just a suggestion). Do ye think the FAI might print songs on a seat or something or lyrics for those who wouldn't know them all? Personally Id be grand with on the one road, fields, but only the chorus of Oro sé do bheatha abhaile.
Are you thinking people in the entire stadium or just us in the singing section? I'm sure most of us in the singing section would be on the internet forums anyway so should know the words to the songs. I really can't see the rest of the stadium joining in with any new songs anyway so I just say the more songs we have the better.

I can't remember who it was that put the Robbie Keane song together but I absolutely love it. It would be some craic hearing thousands sing that one. All the words fit perfectly with that tune. It's more of a pre-match tune though so would be good to sing that while the players are warming up. Not gonna happen though. :)

SuperDave
23/01/2009, 10:42 AM
I like the idea of 'bounce, for the boys in green'

looks really ****ing intimidating when you see stands of people bouncing up and down, way more so than if they are all just standing there

now, lets hope they didn't get the micks to build the stadium, or the whole thing will come crumbling done if we have 70,000 bouncing up and down

galwayhoop
23/01/2009, 11:05 AM
I can't remember who it was that put the Robbie Keane song together but I absolutely love it.

what were the words to the old robbie keane song to the tune of 'let it be'. I only remember the line...

he scored against the germans, robbie keane, robbie keane

gspain
23/01/2009, 11:17 AM
I like the idea of 'bounce, for the boys in green'

looks really ****ing intimidating when you see stands of people bouncing up and down, way more so than if they are all just standing there

now, lets hope they didn't get the micks to build the stadium, or the whole thing will come crumbling done if we have 70,000 bouncing up and down

Yeshe Montenegrans were class when they did it. Italian fans do it well too.

kingdomkerry
23/01/2009, 11:51 AM
Instead of "stand up for the boys in green"

"Bounce bounce for the boys in green"

It would be great if it worked and im sure everyone would know the words of that one. ;)

jbyrne
23/01/2009, 12:09 PM
Instead of "stand up for the boys in green"

"Bounce bounce for the boys in green"

It would be great if it worked and im sure everyone would know the words of that one. ;)

would work with our away fans with a few scoops in them but not the home fans i'm afraid

SuperDave
23/01/2009, 12:38 PM
would work with our away fans with a few scoops in them but not the home fans i'm afraid

if you got the singing section going, it might work, if everyone arounf them started to join in. possibly. hopefully.

eirebhoy
23/01/2009, 4:21 PM
Don't worry about the rest of the stadium for the first game. If they don't want to join in so be it. I'm just focussing on creating an atmosphere amongst our 2,000 or so and showing the rest up.

Traps Cat
23/01/2009, 5:03 PM
To the Tune of Joy Division's "Love will tear us apart"

"Duff , Duff will tear you apart , again"

Repeat x 90 minutes!!

Junior
23/01/2009, 9:39 PM
I can't remember who it was that put the Robbie Keane song together but I absolutely love it. It would be some craic hearing thousands sing that one. All the words fit perfectly with that tune. It's more of a pre-match tune though so would be good to sing that while the players are warming up. Not gonna happen though. :)

Villa fans and Dwight Yorke..........

RonnieB
23/01/2009, 11:10 PM
To the Tune of Joy Division's "Love will tear us apart"

"Duff , Duff will tear you apart , again"

Repeat x 90 minutes!!.

.Kirbs, Kirbs will tear you apart, again. Alan Kirby goes past one man ALAN Kirby GOES PAST TWO...

gah excuse my ramblings , thinking of fonder times gone by for the town.

NeilMcD
23/01/2009, 11:57 PM
Blimey.........that's a first!;)

They would make a lovely couple don't you think.

Green Tribe
24/01/2009, 10:23 AM
Are you saying the engagement is off Neil?? :D
I think the bounce thing is worth trying. Likeminded people together it will catch on

NeilMcD
24/01/2009, 10:43 AM
Are you saying the engagement is off Neil?? :D
I think the bounce thing is worth trying. Likeminded people together it will catch on

Ahh with the recession etc I can't afford the ring. I am sure Paul big shot o Shea could look after you better.

AidoM
24/01/2009, 12:12 PM
...................I think the bounce thing is worth trying. ...................................

:eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

Stuttgart88
24/01/2009, 12:20 PM

Yep, though I think there's now room for the football fans to claim the "alive alive-oh" bit as their own. Super song and totally synonimous with Ireland (just like The Fields) and shows we don't have to rely on copying English songs.

For me all we need is:

Molly Malone
The Fields
Come on You Boys in Green
Stand Up For The Boys in Green
Ireland Ireland...

Sit Down If You Hate The Wave (in response to the habitual & moronic wave in every fcuking game. Just shows in my opinion who have come to see Ireland play and experience the nerves & tension that it brings and which muppets haven't a clue what it's all about).

I personally think player specific chants are a bit cliquey and are a bit of an "in joke" among a few rather than something the whole ground can pick up on in a short time. It's not like club football where the songs evolve from watching players week in week out and everone picks up on it. I think "All You Need is Duff" could work though. Even the Mexican wave morons could pick up on that one.

irishultra
24/01/2009, 12:31 PM
but that would be so mortifying i mean chanting at a football match? thats only for the tv.

Green Tribe
24/01/2009, 2:35 PM
Ahh with the recession etc I can't afford the ring. I am sure Paul big shot o Shea could look after you better.

Easy cop-out Neil:mad:
AidoM have you no flag-folding to be doing?:p
Not far to the game, any update from FAI as to what they have agreed is being played as players come out??

zenokelly
24/01/2009, 6:02 PM
Yep, though I think there's now room for the football fans to claim the "alive alive-oh" bit as their own. Super song and totally synonimous with Ireland (just like The Fields) and shows we don't have to rely on copying English songs.

For me all we need is:

Molly Malone
The Fields
Come on You Boys in Green
Stand Up For The Boys in Green
Ireland Ireland...

Trappatoni Ole Ole Ole
Green and White Army
And most importantly, On the One Road should be on your list.

damoGUFC
24/01/2009, 7:00 PM
Shoe's off for the boys in green..:D

Could imagne 1500+ waving there shoes in Croke Park..:D

Crosby87
24/01/2009, 8:42 PM
Out of curiosity, whats up with the "you'll never walk alone" song? Just curious, do you guys ever sing that? Seems like it "belongs" to a lot of teams.