Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 World Cup qualifying

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars View Post
    Disappointed Canada didn't make it to the Hex. They have some good players but are very naive. De Rosario who's been injured won't make it to a WC Finals now which is a shame. The 6 who qualified:

Mexico
    USA
    Costa Rica
    Honduras
    Panama
    Jamaica

Mexico and USA will surely go through, it will be tight for the 3rd spot, Costa Rica are probably favorites though I'd love to see Jamaica do it. 4th place plays New Zealand for another spot.
    USA will surely go through? They barely made the Hex...Mexico are the only guarantee of those six. Panama are probably the weak link (though will be tough in Panama City) and the other four teams are probably all about equal. It will come down to winning at home and the US is the easiest road trip.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 23/10/2012 at 2:36 AM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    You'd have to assume the Yanks have an extra gear, surely? Though it is fun seeing them barely scrape by against Antigua and Barbuda.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Japan pi$$ing over everybody in their qualifying group so far. The other group is tighter than I'd expected, although the two at the top are the teams you'd expect to be there.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/prelimi...ngs/index.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    USA will surely go through? They barely made the Hex...Mexico are the only guarantee of those six. Panama are probably the weak link (though will be tough in Panama City) and the other four teams are probably all about equal. It will come down to winning at home and the US is the easiest road trip.
    Yes they should qualify easily probably second to Mexico. Despite their mediocre showing, they still won their group which shows how poor the other teams in this region are. Plus I'm not sure what you mean about the US being the easiest road trip. They are unbeaten at home in qualifying since 2001 and usually win all their home qualifying games. I know you hate everything footie related in your country but you are a little naive sometimes.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I know you hate everything footie related in your country but you are a little naive sometimes.
    I wonder was naive your first choice of word there?

I'd have thought Honduras have a real shout at that 3rd place but you don't mention them Metrostars? Mexico/US will finsih 1/2 in no particular order
    Last edited by Dodge; 23/10/2012 at 12:44 PM.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Panama could well prove the dark horses of the group - they usually perform strongly in Gold Cups, even if their qualifying group was the weakest of the three. Fourth placed side meets the Oceania winners, so should be favourites for qualification.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I wonder was naive your first choice of word there?

I'd have thought Honduras have a real shout at that 3rd place but you don't mention them Metrostars? Mexico/US will finsih 1/2 in no particular order
    I expect Mexico and US to qualify but it's hard to guess who will be 3rd/4th. I think the remaining 4 teams all have a legitimate chance. I'd like Jamaica to do it, I like those Caribbean islands! Also, playing in Central America is no picnic for any team so Panama, Honduras and Costa Rica will hard to beat at home.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Japan pi$$ing over everybody in their qualifying group so far. The other group is tighter than I'd expected, although the two at the top are the teams you'd expect to be there.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/prelimi...ngs/index.html
    Japan do have a quality side at the moment, I think they will do well at the World Cup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Yes they should qualify easily probably second to Mexico. Despite their mediocre showing, they still won their group which shows how poor the other teams in this region are. Plus I'm not sure what you mean about the US being the easiest road trip. They are unbeaten at home in qualifying since 2001 and usually win all their home qualifying games. I know you hate everything footie related in your country but you are a little naive sometimes.
    You are in for a rude awakening. They might well qualify (I'm not saying they won't) but playing in the US is far easier than traveling to any of the Central American countries or The Office in Kingston not least because any of the above sides will have large ex-pat communities in the US. Also, being unbeaten at home and being dominant at home is not the same thing (just ask Stan). The US right now is probably somewhat like Mexico in the 2010 Qualifying campaign (I think it was 2010), except the competition is better this time. I really couldn't care less if they qualify or not, seeing as I don't particularly like any of the Central American teams either, plus they always flop at the World Cup anyway so I could enjoy that then. Jamaica have a good shot at Qualifying but they will have to play to their potential, which they certainly don't always do. The JFF (as with many Caribbean football governing bodies) is not particularly well run (though it is compared to any others in the Caribbean) so a lot will depend on if they can get their **** together. They will benefit from a weaker Costa Rica side than usual as well.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 23/10/2012 at 5:08 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The US always flop at the World Cup? They're as much overachievers as we are. Second round in 2010 before being edged out by Ghana and knocked out in the quarters in 2002 courtesy of a German handball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    The US always flop at the World Cup? They're as much overachievers as we are. Second round in 2010 before being edged out by Ghana and knocked out in the quarters in 2002 courtesy of a German handball.
    Flopping is relative, obviously. Considering the ridiculous expectations the people here have and the ease of Qualifying from CONCACAF in the past, yes, all but 2002 have been flops.
    My Guarantee

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    That's like saying Ireland flopped at the Euros because the public expected us to take a scalp. In the eyes of the world, we performed about as well as expected, whereas the US generally do better at World Cups than their talent would suggest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    That's like saying Ireland flopped at the Euros because the public expected us to take a scalp. In the eyes of the world, we performed about as well as expected, whereas the US generally do better at World Cups than their talent would suggest.
    As I said flopping is relative. You can call it whatever you want, I'll enjoy anything that sees the arrogant ****s who "support" the team when the World Cup comes around (and even the odd ones during qualifiers) brought down a peg. The indignity when they lost to Ghana (Ghana! Do they even have electricity there? I think the guy who scored is their Prince. I was looking at their roster on FIFA...they have a few players whose rating is in the 60s! Its OK though, we still tied with England and they're, like, the best team in the world. I mean, they even have David Beckham, one of the best ever.)!

Anyway, speaking of Ghana, I am looking forward to the return of CAF Qualifying as thats hands down the most intriguing Confederation...you never know what will happen.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 24/10/2012 at 4:50 AM.
    My Guarantee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    As I said flopping is relative. You can call it whatever you want, I'll enjoy anything that sees the arrogant ****s who "support" the team when the World Cup comes around (and even the odd ones during qualifiers) brought down a peg. The indignity when they lost to Ghana (Ghana! Do they even have electricity there? I think the guy who scored is their Prince. I was looking at their roster on FIFA...they have a few players whose rating is in the 60s! Its OK though, we still tied with England and they're, like, the best team in the world. I mean, they even have David Beckham, one of the best ever.)!

Anyway, speaking of Ghana, I am looking forward to the return of CAF Qualifying as thats hands down the most intriguing Confederation...you never know what will happen.
    I've lived here over 20 years and I've never heard a US fan talk like that. I've gone to a few US games locally and from my experience with US fans, the average US fan is.... just like your average fan any place else. Maybe it's something in the water in Chicago. Don't they dye it green for every Paddy's day?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    I've lived here over 20 years and I've never heard a US fan talk like that. I've gone to a few US games locally and from my experience with US fans, the average US fan is.... just like your average fan any place else. Maybe it's something in the water in Chicago. Don't they dye it green for every Paddy's day?
    Hmm...in that case it seems to me like your hearing may be going the way of your judgement.
    My Guarantee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    It seems to me that you just hate Americans as opposed to the USA team, in which case you're no different to about half of your fellow countrymen and 90% of the rest of the world!

Support your feckin country man, jaysus!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Why should he? Like every Irish soccer fan supports the national team...

Admittedly his 'logic' seems a little twisted?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    It seems to me that you just hate Americans as opposed to the USA team, in which case you're no different to about half of your fellow countrymen and 90% of the rest of the world!

Support your feckin country man, jaysus!
    Wrong. The average American does not care (or sort of/pretend to care) in the least about soccer. The vast majority of the people who "support" the team seem to be these sort of yuppie, suburban douchebags who tend to either be sort of Hipsters or Bros (if you know the terms). Would you like me to go on?
    My Guarantee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Wrong. The average American does not care (or sort of/pretend to care) in the least about soccer. The vast majority of the people who "support" the team seem to be these sort of yuppie, suburban douchebags who tend to either be sort of Hipsters or Bros (if you know the terms). Would you like me to go on?
    Yes please! You're just not a fan of football fans of the team then. Why would that stop you from supporting your country? It makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Why should he? Like every Irish soccer fan supports the national team...

Admittedly his 'logic' seems a little twisted?
    So which side of the argument are you coming down on, jaysus? I would venture that those weirdos that don't support the Irish national team don't actively want to see the team lose every game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Yes please! You're just not a fan of football fans of the team then. Why would that stop you from supporting your country? It makes no sense to me.
    In isolation, I suppose that, theoretically, I might be able to support the team. I did not always hate them. I remember watching the 2002 World Cup and hoping they would win those matches, but not really getting excited over them. I never really felt any great attraction to the team even then though. I may have not been happy when they lost to Germany but my real support was for Ireland. I can't even really remember liking any of the players then either. In the years following that though after I had the misfortune of really interacting with people who called themselves supporters of the team was when the dislike really came on. That, coupled with my general apathy (or even dislike in some cases) towards many of the players on the team, is what fuels it.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 28/10/2012 at 8:20 PM.
    My Guarantee

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast