Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Irish Matches on VHS (video tapes) Project"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts

The "Irish Matches on VHS (video tapes) Project"

OK, I need some feedback here.

I have heard many people here say that they have old matches and programs about the Boys in Green on tape. As we all know, VHS are not compatible with computer and are quickly (if not already) being phased out by DVDs.

Here is my proposal:
    If we can get at least 50 different matches/programs on VHS, I'll go out and buy a VHS hook up to the computer, burn all the matches to DVD and send them (and the VHSs) back to the original person and perhaps offer the matches to users here in torrent form (no extra DVDs as those cost money). As no money is changing hands I doubt this is illegal.

As I live in Chicago, that will drastically raise the shipping prices. So, if we have a tech savvy person over there (Tets?) maybe I'll buy the VHS hook up and bring it with me to Ireland when I come over in February. If not, I'll try to do this my self. I'd do my best to cover shipping prices (maybe I'd pay for shipping here, and then ship them out when I get to Dublin).

Feedback, comments, etc. would appreciated
    Last edited by theworm2345; 04/10/2008 at 11:18 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    As I live in Chicago, that will drastically raise the shipping prices. So, if we have a tech savvy person over there (Tets?) maybe I'll buy the VHS hook up and bring it with me to Ireland when I come over in February. If not, I'll try to do this my self. I'd do my best to cover shipping prices (maybe I'd pay for shipping here, and then ship them out when I get to Dublin).
    Sounds interesting alright.
    I have the signal from my TV streamed around my home network, so I can record from that on any PC on the network. I don't know if it can be used with a VCR.
    I do have a PC with a TV card that you can connect a VCR to, so that could be used to record the video. You need a lot of memory to record from the TV card though. The PC itself is fairly and very low spec, I only use it for downloading and burning stuff off to DVD.
    If anyone has a fairly high spec machine, I could lend them the TV card to connect the VCR to? It takes S-Video input, and I have the cables to convert a SCART signal to S-Video.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 05/10/2008 at 3:15 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Sounds interesting alright.
    I have the signal from my TV streamed around my home network, so I can record from that on any PC on the network. I don't know if it can be used with a VCR.
    I do have a PC with a TV card that you can connect a VCR to, so that could be used to record the video. You need a lot of memory to record from the TV card though. The PC itself is fairly and very low spec, I only use it for downloading and burning stuff off to DVD.
    If anyone has a fairly high spec machine, I could lend them the TV card to connect the VCR to? It takes S-Video input, and I have the cables to convert a SCART signal to S-Video.
    I'm fairly certain the VHS recorder thing is external anyways so it wouldn't take much installation. Anyway I haven't heard anything from anyone saying they have tapes to put into this so it isn't looking good
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I have a few football related videos - things about paul mcgrath, charlton, etc
    and the ireland V italy game 1994,but thats probably easy to get anyway

but its a great idea Worm and I would be up for getting a few dvds of you if and when it works out

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts
    I will do a survey of the games I have on VHS. Alas won't have time to do it until November at the earliest. I would have taped most Irish games but would have taped over the ones that were a disaster (e.g hoem defeat by Spain). I suspect the quality is starting to fade. I did buy a joint dvd/VHS machine recently with a view to taping one on to the other but haven't got round to seeing does it work.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This is a great idea. If we don't do it now, we'll end up losing a lot of good stuff. I'll do a check on all my old vhs recordings too and post the list up on this thread.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Forgive me if I'm being ignorant here, but how will this work? If you live in Chicago, won't that cause problems with the conversions?

Any Ireland matches taped off RTE/BBC/any European channel, it will be in PAL format (625 lines), which you won't be able to play on an American NTSC (525 lines) VHS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newrynyuk View Post
    Forgive me if I'm being ignorant here, but how will this work? If you live in Chicago, won't that cause problems with the conversions?

Any Ireland matches taped off RTE/BBC/any European channel, it will be in PAL format (625 lines), which you won't be able to play on an American NTSC (525 lines) VHS.
    You'd probably know better than I would, can anyone confirm this? The conversion from PAL to NTSC (or vice versa) should be easy enough with Adobe Premier I would guess anyway
    My Guarantee

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

euro 88

I have the 3 euro 88 games on video.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

I have heard many people here say that they have old matches and programs about the Boys in Green on tape. As we all know, VHS are not compatible with computer and are quickly (if not already) being phased out by DVDs.

Here is my proposal:
    If we can get at least 50 different matches/programs on VHS, I'll go out and buy a VHS hook up to the computer, burn all the matches to DVD and send them (and the VHSs) back to the original person and perhaps offer the matches to users here in torrent form (no extra DVDs as those cost money). As no money is changing hands I doubt this is illegal.

Feedback, comments, etc. would appreciated
    Fair play, the worm. That's a sound gesture on your part.

Admittedly, I'll have to track them down and/or nick them back from relatives but I've got a lot of the originally issued VHS documentary's and compilation highlights of the qualifiers.

The 3 Euro 88 Finals Games
    The Road to Italy - RTE Highlights of the home qualifiers for Italia 90
    Ole Ole - an independent documentary about our qualifying campaign for Italy
    The Road to America - Documentary about the USA 94 campaign
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Is there anymore information regarding these conversions as I would be interested in the Euro 88 games on dvd if possible?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AidoP View Post
    Is there anymore information regarding these conversions as I would be interested in the Euro 88 games on dvd if possible?
    Kind of fell through, not many offers
    My Guarantee

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    id love to get the '88 games on dvd if poss. if this project ever gets up and running. obv id cover any costs.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    I now have the needed device for this project
    My Guarantee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Worm, Like I said before I have every game since about 1995 recorded on some format, some earlier ones make be ropey reception from analogue RTE. I have been gradually converting to DVD. Obviously takes a while and only do it when I can be bothered!

I could seed the Video_TS torrent files then all you have to do is download and burn on to a DVD at the other end. I am not ready to do it yet but may be able to do it in the future.

PAL/NTSC makes no difference these days providing you have a region free DVD player or play with VLC media player on a PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slow2anger View Post
    Worm, Like I said before I have every game since about 1995 recorded on some format, some earlier ones make be ropey reception from analogue RTE. I have been gradually converting to DVD. Obviously takes a while and only do it when I can be bothered!

I could seed the Video_TS torrent files then all you have to do is download and burn on to a DVD at the other end. I am not ready to do it yet but may be able to do it in the future.

PAL/NTSC makes no difference these days providing you have a region free DVD player or play with VLC media player on a PC.
    That would be great, thanks alot However, I'm not looking to get all of these games on DVD, I just want to watch them and also torrent them out to other members of this forum. Unfortunately, I've hit a snag with my VHS thing as as someone pointed out before, PAL will not work over here, so I'm looking for a cheap PAL VCR at the moment.
    My Guarantee

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think this is a great idea too. I have a good few of the recent games but I'm unsure as to how I would go about converting them, though I'd say most of the people interested in this probably have our recent games recorded too.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Any news? I'd be willing to pay to download these matches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    I think bennocelts going to send some VHS's over. Once that happens I'll either have to find my own PAL/SECAM VCR or have them converted by a professional...whichever is cheaper.

As for slow2anger whenever he's ready is fine with me
    My Guarantee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As for slow2anger whenever he's ready is fine with me
    I'll do my breast!

On hols at the mo, but keen to start sorting it when I get back

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast