Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Portugal - Thurs, 11th November 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    problem with his heel, according to this
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Kenny's saying Connolly is injured, but potter says he isn't. Reverse management situation

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...-40737078.html

It's stinkie Gordon
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 04/11/2021 at 3:09 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Kenny says he has a heel injury and he spoke with Connolly and Potter. Potter seems to have indicated that he was fit and not selected. Interesting one...

No real issues with the squad except I’d have Ciaran Clarke in ahead of Ryan Manning. I think your ideal option of playing Coleman and Doherty as wing backs, Stevens and McClean are available to come on the left if either is injured. I don’t see where Manning fits. Meanwhile, you’ve got 3 centre halves with just Collins as back up. I know Coleman can do a job there but I’d rather have Clarke...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Is Dara O’Shea still injured from last Ireland match?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Is Dara O’Shea still injured from last Ireland match?
    Yep. I think the prognosis was 6 month injury at the time.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Kenny says he has a heel injury and he spoke with Connolly and Potter. Potter seems to have indicated that he was fit and not selected. Interesting one...

No real issues with the squad except I’d have Ciaran Clarke in ahead of Ryan Manning. I think your ideal option of playing Coleman and Doherty as wing backs, Stevens and McClean are available to come on the left if either is injured. I don’t see where Manning fits. Meanwhile, you’ve got 3 centre halves with just Collins as back up. I know Coleman can do a job there but I’d rather have Clarke...
    Kenny also said in his interview:

"I spoke to Aaron yesterday myself, and we both decided - he didn't feel he was really right. Although technically he could possible be available next Thursday for selection but he hasn't been able to train, or he hasn't been training at all. He feels sore."

If Connolly had been playing for Brighton regularly before the knock he'd have been named in the squad. This minor heel issue that Potter described it as has made it easier for Kenny to drop Connolly imo.

Manning has mostly played LCB this season for Swansea and is fifth choice behind Collins in that squad.

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Manning has mostly played LCB this season for Swansea and is fifth choice behind Collins in that squad.
    If he's being selected as a centre half, I'd just choose Clarke ahead of him. Funny player Manning, he was a centre midfielder for the 21s and initially for QPR, saying he modelled his game on Gerrard, can't remember where he played for Galway but think it might have been out wide. Gradually moved from centre mid to left mid for QPR and from there was converted to left wing back and this season has started playing left sided centre half.

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Kenny also said in his interview:

"I spoke to Aaron yesterday myself, and we both decided - he didn't feel he was really right. Although technically he could possible be available next Thursday for selection but he hasn't been able to train, or he hasn't been training at all. He feels sore."
    Hmm, that doesn't help the conspiracy theorists.

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Hmm, that doesn't help the conspiracy theorists.
    Nothing to dig your heel in to.

13. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    ok I dont like our squad i would have called Ronan and Shane Long

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Manning is a versatile player I would play him as an opton for midfielder , it is a waste for talent playing this fellow as a leftback or center back, of course as a club player, but he is a midfielder they gave him more defensive qualities but they have stopped him from scoring goals, I think he was flying out as left midifelder , scored like 8 or 10 goals in a season or two ago.. I guess

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    Manning is a versatile player I would play him as an opton for midfielder , it is a waste for talent playing this fellow as a leftback or center back, of course as a club player, but he is a midfielder they gave him more defensive qualities but they have stopped him from scoring goals, I think he was flying out as left midifelder , scored like 8 or 10 goals in a season or two ago.. I guess
    He has 7 goals in 5 years at QPR, so no he didnt get close to 10 in a season

17. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    He scored 9 goals in a season once. For Mervue. No doubt Bielsa will claim that's what he was referring to...

19. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    He scored 9 goals in a season once. For Mervue. No doubt Bielsa will claim that's what he was referring to...
    i checked he has 9 goals in 90 matches for qpr

and has 5 goals in 10 games for the under 20.

how a guy who could create and score goals can be played as center back, that's dull football and is not sensible football

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Well I'll put my hands up - I was wrong.

He was talking about QPR's U20s. Which probably isn't a million miles off Mervue in terms of relevance to the international game.

22. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Anyhow Manning is a fantastic midfielder that swansea turned him into a límited defender

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Keane was injured in the last window, and is more of a 10 than a 9.
    Fair enough but I think they're both down the rankings in terms of forwards and the present system we are using offers a lot of flexibility in terms of who plays 9 or who plays behind the 9. I think it would have been much of a muchness in that I don't see either playing although Connolly was good in spurts against Portugal away.

Either way, it appears as though he wasn't fit per Kenny and that he agreed it with Connolly.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Interesting what Kenny had to say here.

In the Championship for example, you've got a match Saturday, you've got a match Tuesday, you've got a match Saturday. You've 44 games of that. You discipline yourself then.

"That kind of focus, rather than having one match a week where you don’t know whether you're going to play or not, and you're probably not going to play... Over a period of time, even to the strongest of characters, that can erode your spirit.

I think it's no big surprise that he hasn't been included really, he hasnt been good enough or should I say isn't good enough at present and those who have come in have shown they can offer a lot more. Personally I've seen little in him to suggest anything more than a mcgeady type career. It's interesting to read Kenny's comments on focus and discipline and effectively saying he should go to the championship
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

26. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Except Hogan and Maguire are playing in The Championship and Obafemi went there to get football, and they’re all behind Idah who doesn’t play and Keane who is in League 1 and Parrott who is in League 1 and not playing much either.

28. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Except Hogan and Maguire are playing in The Championship and Obafemi went there to get football, and they’re all behind Idah who doesn’t play and Keane who is in League 1 and Parrott who is in League 1 and not playing much either.
    Agree although Parrott was playing a good bit up to recently. Given his performances I don't think Parrott is ready for competitive international ball yet (Andorra was a nothing friendly in terms of intensity etc) I have also been slight underwhelmed by Idah who has looked ok in patches especially his lack of urgency although he is a better than Parrott at the moment. I know the lads are young but I think Long would be a more effective option.

Given that Connolly doesn't appear to be actually injured I'm amazed he was left out. Despite his inconsistencies, lack of game time etc he offers far more of a threat than the other 2....Portugal's defence struggled to contain him I thought.

All opinions of course

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast