Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Azerbaijan - Saturday, 4th Sep 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

Republic of Ireland V Azerbaijan - Saturday, 4th Sep 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

If we lose this match, we will finish bottom of the group. Azerbaijan are no pushovers, having lost by only a single goal to Serbia, Portugal, and Luxembourg.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Will there be call ups due to injuries ?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    the var system yesterday was used for just one purpose , it is a tool for this scams

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Have to think Scales at the very least will be added to the squad with the injury to O'Shea and Doherty also looking like he has a knock. Possibly someone will be called in to cover for Long too, although that's less likely. Hopefully there's no more Covid associated withdrawals due to Long's case.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

5. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Cillian Sheridan and that Scully kid? Ciaran Clark and Dunne?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    The Azerbaijan Football Federations Association (AFFA) don't seem to have a twitter account, which is a little strange, but they do have an instagram account
    Here's their squad: https://www.instagram.com/p/CTFlgK5orta/
    And the starting lineup from last night: https://www.instagram.com/p/CTSiDwZI..._web_copy_link

Fortunately, wikipedia has the squad details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azerba...#Current_squad
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Have to think Scales at the very least will be added to the squad with the injury to O'Shea and Doherty also looking like he has a knock. Possibly someone will be called in to cover for Long too, although that's less likely. Hopefully there's no more Covid associated withdrawals due to Long's case.
    We already have Manning and McClean for LWB. If there's a doubt over Doherty, RWB is where we need cover, no? Which probably means the maybe slightly unloved Cyrus Christie.

If O'Shea needs replacing - as seems likely - then Clark seems the obvious choice. I don't know why he wasn't in the initial squad though, so maybe there's some reason he's not available this window? Darragh Lenihan and Kevin Long are options too.

Replacing Shane Long is a bit tougher. Who's not in the squad? Maguire? Obafemi?

(As an aside, both Longs feature in this article on players 'stuck' at clubs after the transfer window: https://www.football365.com/news/pla...riguez-lingard)
    Last edited by John83; 02/09/2021 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Forgot to write Christie's name!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Duffy and Scales are officially on 'stand by' so I assume they will come in. Scales can play left centre back or left back.

Asking Coleman to put in 3 full shifts does seem unrealistic though so if Doherty is out not sure who might fill in there.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Kenny also mentioned that it was possible that Browne and Robinson could be involved. I guess at a certain point Browne will no longer be a close contact and depending on when Robinson tests negative again, he’ll be able to rejoin the squaf

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Interesting game this one. It's tempting to say that if we play like we did last night, we should win and finally get that monkey off our back. But I don't think it'll be that straightforward - away against the top seed is a whole different ball game to home against the bottom seed. I don't expect we'll need the same backs-to-the-wall defending (which we excel at), but we do need some urgency going forward and a spark from our from two (which we've been very poor at - Luxembourg at home the glaring example, but also the entire Nations League campaign). Idah did well with his back to goal yesterday, but that's not the role he's going to have to play on Saturday for example.

Clark and Long do seem the obvious choices to call up to replace O'Shea, not Scales (much and all as I'd be biased towards Scales getting a call-up).

The other factor then is that this is the middle of three games in a week - we probably can't go with the same starting XI three times (well, starting X plus O'Shea/his replacement). Azerbaijan could be a good game for Horgan's energy for example.

I think if we don't get a win on Sat, yesterday could be forgotten and the pressure could be back on again.

It'll also be good for Kenny to get a game in front of a home crowd as well. He deserves it in fairness, and it's the kind of game where a bit of encouragement from a home crowd could impact our tempo on the pitch too.

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Could be wrong but I suspect he might go back to 4-3-3 for this game. I think 5-3-2 suits us a little better when we’re soaking up pressure, in games where we’re not expected to do too much.

When teams but 11 men behind the ball, I’m not sure it’s as effective.

So imagine O’Shea comes out for a winger, let’s imagine Horgan. Probably need to freshen up the midfield as well, given 3 games in 6 days

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Doherty might not be able for the game either, he was struggling towards the end last night.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Interesting game this one. It's tempting to say that if we play like we did last night, we should win and finally get that monkey off our back. But I don't think it'll be that straightforward - away against the top seed is a whole different ball game to home against the bottom seed. I don't expect we'll need the same backs-to-the-wall defending (which we excel at), but we do need some urgency going forward and a spark from our from two (which we've been very poor at - Luxembourg at home the glaring example, but also the entire Nations League campaign). Idah did well with his back to goal yesterday, but that's not the role he's going to have to play on Saturday for example.
    It will be interesting to see if he sticks to the back 3, or if he reverts to a back 4 to give us more options going forward. I'd assume he'll stick with the three, given we've been comfortable with it.

Clark and Long do seem the obvious choices to call up to replace O'Shea, not Scales (much and all as I'd be biased towards Scales getting a call-up).

The other factor then is that this is the middle of three games in a week - we probably can't go with the same starting XI three times (well, starting X plus O'Shea/his replacement). Azerbaijan could be a good game for Horgan's energy for example.
    The schedule sure is significant, thankfully the travelling is over. I'd be relatively happy for KevLong to be disregarded when it comes to consideration for the National team. He's not at the level we need, and will never be, no offence to him. If Scales is still in Dublin, then it's a sensible decision to bring him given the cover he provides, especially in the LWB position.

Any word on Doherty, Connolly? O'Shea gone obviously, ShLong too.

this is the game where we have to dictate for the majority of the game. We've got to do it. Natural inclination would be to expect Parrott to start, and that he wasn't introduced yesterday as a result. Idah needs a goal to set him off for Ireland, to build on last night's performance, and if he's fit, I'd start Connolly too. The reference earlier to Robinson is important, as if he is available for selection against Serbia, and Connolly is fit enough to start on Saturday, then I'd be looking at that. If he's not fit enough, or Robinson is unavailable, then I'd start Horgan. If Doherty is unavailable I'd love to see Manning. I would not like to see McClean.

It's what to do behind that's interesting. Cullen is cemented in as that shield in front of defence. He's not issues with stamina, he will start all three games. I'd expect to see Hendrick drop out, rotating back in possibly against Serbia. You'd have to expect McGrath would continue given how he played in the first 60 mins.
    -----------Bazunu---
    ---- AO -- Duffy -- Egan ------
    -SC -- Josh --- JMcG -- Doherty-
    ------- Troy ---- AC(Horgan)----
    ------------ Idah ------

if you're going 4 at the back as Elatedscum mentions, then it's more likely

On doherty I read that he'd been struggling all day, wonder does that mean a gastro issue? If so, he'll surely be ok. If he's not, combined with McClean's poor finish to the game, going to a flat 4, with Manning in for O'Shea, and another more attacking body in midfield. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hourihane come in, resting Hendrick for Serbia. I think he'll be eager to get Connolly Parrott and Idah on the pitch together as often as possible. Of course, the possibility exists that another central midfield player doesn't come in, and that McGrath plays in front of Cullen, with a trio of Parrott, Horgan and Connolly ahead of them and behind Idah. That wouldn't leave anything of creative consequence to come off the bench if needed though.

-------------- Bazunu
    - SC ---- Duffy - - Egan --- Manning
    ------------- - Cullen --------------
    ------ McGrath - Hourihane--------
    --- Parrott --------- Connolly/DH
    ----------- Idah --------------

or

-------------- Bazunu
    - SC ---- Duffy - - Egan --- Manning
    -----------Cullen - McGrath -------------
    --Horgan --- Parrott ----- Connolly
    --- ----------- Idah --------------
    Last edited by Kingdom; 02/09/2021 at 12:06 PM. Reason: accounting for elatedscum's greatness
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Yeah, Kev Long is a strange one - he's a Premier League player, but a bit-part player. I can't think of anyone who's stayed at a club as long as he has and played as few games. He's into his 13th season at Burnley and hasn't reached 100 games yet. He has to have something about him, but you wonder what his career would have been like had he moved down to, say, the third tier after five years getting nowhere at Burnley (say, 2014)

I still wouldn't discard him - I wouldn't discard anyone at the moment - but that does say more about us than Long.

4-3-3 does make sense and in that regard Horgan for O'Shea is a neat forced swap.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Wasn't there talk that Robinson and Browne might come back in?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    It'll also be good for Kenny to get a game in front of a home crowd as well. He deserves it in fairness, and it's the kind of game where a bit of encouragement from a home crowd could impact our tempo on the pitch too.
    yes, totally agree. irrespective of whether we can qualify or not i really hope the crowd recognize their part to play in all of this. this young team need to realize that most of us are on their side.
    two home qualifying wins at this stage could be massive in terms of the progression of this team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

I think if we don't get a win on Sat, yesterday could be forgotten and the pressure could be back on again.

Yes, a different challenge entirely.

Worryingly, our three best performances under SK have been arguably our three toughest competitive fixtures, away to Slovakia, Serbia & Portugal.

Our worst have been the so-called 'must wins' at home to Bulgaria & Luxembourg.

And yes, last night will count for very little in the public mindset if we have a repeat of those on Saturday.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 02/09/2021 at 3:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Funny, the way Kenny's campaign has gone reminds me of UCD in a way. We can be very good putting it up to bigger teams and last night reminded me of our Europa League game in Dudelange in a way (except for last kick bit!). But we can often struggle in games we're expected to win because we've a very young team and they're not really used to taking charge of a game. All of that has strong parallels with Kenny's team at the moment.

Maybe we need a bit of experience in the team - McClean the obvious example - to lift the kids in the case of a lull, which will inevitably happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I don't think SK will chop and change too much. Omobamidele in for DOS and Manning for Doherty if he isn't fit enough.

Kenny needs to win this game, changing formation and personnel is just complicating matters when he doesn't need to.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Funny, the way Kenny's campaign has gone reminds me of UCD in a way.
    It reminds me of Limerick under Martin Russell, as we doggedly but unsuccessfully try and play our way out from the back, with the aim of finding space in midfield, but only end up playing ourselves into real defensive trouble.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast