Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 25 of 177 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I was born in 1983. This is by far the weakest group of players we've had to pick from in my time watching football. Qualifying for the World Cup in 2026 is not a realistic target, never mind 2022.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    I would agree as regards 2022. I think it's far to early to know what standard we might be at by the time the 2026 qualifiers roll around though. I'd say there were a lot of Irish football supporters in 1985 who thought we'd probably never qualify for anything ever.

Things can change quickly. But not quickly enough for this year's World Cup qualifiers if we're being honest.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Play-offs "as a minimum"?

I mean, we can aim to win the group by taking each game as it comes, but topping the group ahead of the reigning European champions isn't a realistic target. This isn't 1994 any more...
    get to play offs and win the semi. that would constitute "getting to the play offs as a minimum" without topping the group...

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    I'd throw the kids in too to be honest. Such is our situation that we've little to lose.

But we need to drop the pretence that the the composition of our World Cup draw opposition matters and that we have any sort of realistic chance of qualification. Or that the the futile re-incorporation of the likes of Arter into the set-up and making Horgan a first-team regular makes any sort of sense.
    I do think we have a realistic chance of playoffs. I think that we will be much better in March with hopefully a settled squad and no covid.

I completely agree with you about Arter or Horgan. I'd much rather play a younger player that could develop into something than a guy how has never been anything. I still think Connolly and Parrott will be great for us, and we have some very good young midfield options in Molumby, Knight and Cullen.

I'm still very positive about Kenny, I think he's done well in ridiculous circumstances. But I might change my opinion if March is a disaster

5. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I was born in 1983. This is by far the weakest group of players we've had to pick from in my time watching football. Qualifying for the World Cup in 2026 is not a realistic target, never mind 2022.
    I dunno, there have been a few times over the years we'd have said similar things. The team that went through qualifying for the 98 World Cup, despite finishing second, weren't great by any means. But a few months later we had Robbie and Duff and things looked different. Drawing at home to Iceland and Lithuania and losing in Macedonia were far worse results than this group have produced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    we were fourth seeds for the last world cup and we still made the play offs. We were third seeds in the draw this time do we should be aiming for the play offs again as a minimum

What do you mean by "as a minimum"? As in, it's an abject failure to finish third with the current pool of players? That's cloud cuckoo land stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    get to play offs and win the semi. that would constitute "getting to the play offs as a minimum" without topping the group...

No, that would constitute getting to the playoffs and winning the semi.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Putting covid and player pool aside. No one could possibly think Stephen kenny has done a good job to date. He might, and fingers crossed will do a good job in the future, but 1 goal in 9 games and obviously 0 wins is appalling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    What do you mean by "as a minimum"? As in, it's an abject failure to finish third with the current pool of players? That's cloud cuckoo land stuff.
    Considering that we finished second in the last world cup qualifiers, as fourth seeds, in a much tougher group, finishing third would be a step back IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    No, that would constitute getting to the playoffs and winning the semi.
    getting to the play offs, and losing the semi, by finishing second in the group should be the minimum.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 10/01/2021 at 10:53 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Well, I disagree that it's realistically something we can currently expect, but I certainly hope for an outcome that good. Who knows? If Connolly - or anyone else - starts scoring for us soon enough then my expectations may rise quickly, but we're up against a couple of sides that would consider finishing below us an utterly disastrous qualifying. How many experienced players do we have who aren't considered past it by many here?

I'm looking at the squad and recent call-ups on wikipedia. There are three categories of player:

• Senior players I've read lengthy arguments here to drop as they're not good enough / unsuited to the system / past it: Randolf, Duffy, Christie, Shane Long, and every senior midfielder we have: Hendrick, McClean, O'Dowda, McCarthy, Arter, Brady and Hourihane.
    • Players with under a dozen caps. (Only Maguire, Horgan, and Browne are close, and the flaws of the first two have been argued about extensively)
    • That leaves three full backs (Coleman, Doherty and Stevens) and three centre halves (Clarke, Long and Egan)? Oh, and our great hope: Callum Robinson, 15 caps, 1 goal.

Six defenders and a forward who doesn't score is not the core of a squad that's going to scare Serbia or Portugal. That's what Kenny is working with.

My minimum expectation is that Kenny ends the campaign with a rejuvenated squad in which we've identified a starting midfield and forward line capable of creating and converting chances, while more or less preserving our defensive stats. After that, we'll actually be in a position to expect results, maybe even very good ones. If it happens right away we can hope to compete in the group, and if it happens too late, Kenny will be sacked. I think the latter is the more likely outcome, followed by an intermediate result where we start poorly / inconsistently and improve dramatically over the campaign. I would like to be wrong.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Portugal are going to top the group, possibly with a 100% record, I'm not arguing that.
    The two games against Serbia will decide second spot, a draw in the opening game in March will be a decent result, and we should have at least six points before we play them again in September (beat Luxembourg, beat Azerbaijan. lose to Portugal) that game will be a must win to finish second and get into the play offs.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    I see no reason to assume that we'll match their results against the rest of the group given our current toothlessness.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Portugal are going to top the group, possibly with a 100% record, I'm not arguing that.
    The two games against Serbia will decide second spot, a draw in the opening game in March will be a decent result, and we should have at least six points before we play them again in September (beat Luxembourg, beat Azerbaijan. lose to Portugal) that game will be a must win to finish second and get into the play offs.

results like this scare me greatly, I would be suprised is we get max points off them
    =

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    results like this scare me greatly, I would be suprised is we get max points off them
    =
    That was the only game in that qualifying group they didn't lose - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_E...up_E#Standings
    They've won six games in the last three years (Faroes twice, Latvia, Bahrain, Kyrgyzstan, and Cyprus), haven't won at home since November 2018, and are currently on a run of four consecutive 0-0 draws.
    It might be tougher than people think, but we should still get six points from them

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    That was the only game in that qualifying group they didn't lose - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_E...up_E#Standings
    They've won six games in the last three years (Faroes twice, Latvia, Bahrain, Kyrgyzstan, and Cyprus), haven't won at home since November 2018, and are currently on a run of four consecutive 0-0 draws.
    It might be tougher than people think, but we should still get six points from them
    Fair enough, 1 point in their qualifying group, would suggest they are not to be feared ala Georgia

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Considering that we finished second in the last world cup qualifiers, as fourth seeds, in a much tougher group, finishing third would be a step back IMO.
    Have you seen how our squad now compares to the squad for the last World Cup campaign?

getting to the play offs, and losing the semi, by finishing second in the group should be the minimum.
    This is absolute nonsense. Seriously. There's nothing more to be said. Serbia have a player who's scored almost as many international goals in the last 5 years as the entire Irish team have. We are odds against to finish second in the group. Something that's odds against cannot be the minimum expectation.

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I just hope we score a goal during the campaign.

20. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    weve got to get out and beat the serbs this time, and hope a flawless campaign from Portugal...Serbia got it hard first two games will define their fate at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I just hope we score a goal during the campaign.
    If we got 1 goal per game in the last 7 competitive games we would have gotten to the play off final v NIR and 10 nations league points. Given our xG (washes out mouth) was 1.31 I'm hopeful of a competitive campaign.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    We're keeping a few clean sheets, to be fair. The record in front of goal is obviously awful but the passing style doesn't seem to make us any more vulnerable at the back than we were playing puke football.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Putting covid and player pool aside. No one could possibly think Stephen kenny has done a good job to date. He might, and fingers crossed will do a good job in the future, but 1 goal in 9 games and obviously 0 wins is appalling
    Agree. An apparent inability and/or reluctance to alter or tweak tactics during games is what worries me most about Stephen Kenny. Hopefully he's learned from the goalless run because his credibility has taken a massive hit. He needs improvement before crowds return or he'll get one hell of a bollicking.