Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Shamrock Rovers entering a team in Div 1 next season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    They can play in the leinster senior league if they arent happy with the LOI rules

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    The league/FAI should do whats best for players. Having 20 or so young lads playing LOI football is the right call to make. Id prefer an u21 league with all clubs putting a team into it but I imagine clubs are against that idea more than they're against Rovers B team.

3. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I haven't seen one logical argument against it.
    The first division clubs have experience of this exact scenario before and are against its return. Surely the league should actually listen to the clubs involved?

I remember the games against the B side. They were horrible. I am in no way surprised clubs don't want them back.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    rovers B did ok when they were in the league and had certainly improved throughout the season. Mainly made up of U19's.Pity they did not keep the team going. The league has to be fair and the fact that the first division clubs cannot vote on structures is wrong. If the LOI is to imporove it has cover all clubs and not just the top 2/3 who by the way should be congratulated on their performances and success. The new structures at underage level have to have and end goal and it cannot just be to get across the water. We need a successful league over 2 divisions to allow these young players to progress their their careers.
    I would certainly hope that a revamped FAI would take an active and suppotive role in improving the league of Irelans as it is the pinnacle of soccer in this country

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I actually think it would be different this time, the last time it was poorly thought out and executed.
    This time around (if what is being said is to be believed) it will be the cream of the academy (+ a couple of pros needing a game) and might draw a decent crowd (at home anyway).
    respect your view but i think because it did'nt work once isn't a convincing argument not to try again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    I'd much prefer an under 21 / 23 League with maybe 2 or 3 over age players allowed in any one game but I can't see that happening any time soon 😏

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    I'd prefer to see some sort of third tier north/south reserve league alongside junior/intermediate teams who aren't quite ready for the step up to the First Division. Would largely consist of under-23 players, allowing 2 or 3 first team squad players in each match day squad.

They could call it the A Championship or something.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    They can play in the leinster senior league if they arent happy with the LOI rules
    What if another LOI club not from the Leinster area decide to run a B team ?
    Where would that team play ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I'd prefer to see some sort of third tier north/south reserve league alongside junior/intermediate teams who aren't quite ready for the step up to the First Division. Would largely consist of under-23 players, allowing 2 or 3 first team squad players in each match day squad.

Wasn't something like that tried out already but the clubs didn't want it ?
    Personally I'd like to see a pyramid system running in this country from the very top right down to the local leagues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    What if another LOI club not from the Leinster area decide to run a B team ?
    Where would that team play ?
    Well Galway play in the Leinster Championship in the Hurling so if its good enough for them
    Come to think of it maybe we should ask London and New York to enter teams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Well Galway play in the Leinster Championship in the Hurling so if its good enough for them
    Come to think of it maybe we should ask London and New York to enter teams
    None of them foreign games on here if you don't mind.
    The LOI says No No No

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post

Perhaps a League of Ireland 'B' Division
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Speaking of League of Ireland B..anybody remember Gentex ? They played in the B Division was it the '90's ? Perennial whipping boys, if I recall correctly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Limerick to be in the league with underage squads for next year according to Daniel McDonnell , excellent news !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    Wasn't something like that tried out already but the clubs didn't want it ?
    That's sort of the point I was getting at.

Clubs want rid of reserve division that acts as a third tier, but they also want to put a reserve team in the second tier.

I think, if anything, this whole debacle should reopen the A Championship debate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Shamrock Rovers B officially in the First Division now. Discussion over, close the thread.

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Let's call this what it is - a symbol of the failure of senior football in Ireland to attract anyone else to join it.

Up until about 10 years ago there were regularly clubs with their eye on joining the LOI. The vacancies that arose frequently in the league didn't stay open for long before replacements were found. Mullingar even had 2 clubs (Athletic and United) in an arms race between themselves to try to join the league about 15yrs ago, and both still lost out to Kildare (from memory) at the time.

Fast forward to the last few years and now NO-ONE wants to join the LOI. The First Division is already 2 clubs short of where it should be, and Limierick dropping out has left it 3 short and in the oirganisationally awkward position of containing an odd number of teams. And all because the FAI has made it financial suicide to step up to the senior game.

So thanks to our friends at Abbotstown the line to join the League of Ireland has been turned from a bunfight into a desert in less than a decade. Bravo Delaney and Co. Bravo (* insert ironic slow hand clap meme *).

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Maybe the time has come to merge the top flight and bottom flight cut the dead wood from it. Put the dead wood in the LOI B along with the teams that are looking to make the stepup along with the different LOI B sides. Thats how we got into the loi in the first place as we were in the LOI B for four seasons before making the stepup. That worked well for years maybe we should revert back to this format.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Maybe the time has come to merge the top flight and bottom flight cut the dead wood from it. Put the dead wood in the LOI B along with the teams that are looking to make the stepup along with the different LOI B sides. Thats how we got into the loi in the first place as we were in the LOI B for four seasons before making the stepup. That worked well for years maybe we should revert back to this format.
    None of that would address the fundamental problem though. Which is that the FAI have made stepping up to the senior game too great a risk for intermediate clubs.

Until prize money is increased and/or, participation costs reduced (including fines) then why would any club risk their current set up to enter the League of Ireland ?

The Irish League pays a lot less in prize money - but it also charges clubs a lot less to participate. I think I saw a graphic recently which suggests that the net prize fund for the IL is therefore greater than it is in the LOI. Which is absurd on so many levels.

24. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    I can imagine a few statements from 1st Division Clubs to be released soon.

Our friends in Drogheda are not happy at all

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast