Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: FAI Cup 2018

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Limerick 2-1 Cabinteely.

Comfortable enough for much of the game, but nearly threw it away at the end, conceding on 90 minutes and then needing a good save to stay in front.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    Absolute cracker of a game in Greenogue (CIE v UCD). Struggling to remember many better. All non-league sides should get a two goal headstart

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    Comfortable win in Galway in the end but should have been out of sight by HT. Missed penalty in 2nd half kept Galway in it as long as it was just 1-0. Hoping for a home tie in the next round and a chance to make the semis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,356 Posts
    We were never realistically going to get past Dundalk last night. We were far from embarrassed though, which is always a plus. Keeping the scoreline somewhat respectable was always going to be a best case scenario really. We weren't helped by one of the worst penalty decisions I've seen in years, but at the end of the day, it wouldn't have changed the result. Dundalk always had a second gear in them.

My only disappointment was that our ball retention was very poor and we were a shadow of the side we've seen in recent weeks on the ball.

Disappointing also that the Gardai tried to tell us that there was no bar in Oriel. When pointed out that I'd been in the bar before, the story changed to "it's not open tonight", until one of the bar staff came out for a smoke and the story again changed to "it's not open to tonight to you". From the start, a simple word that away fans weren't allowed in would have sufficed.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Drogs held their own again against premier league opposition. Only difference was us giving away a very soft goal.

Clancy has done a very good job. Weveva good young team. Can’t see Connor Kane staying with us next year, a class act
    DAN CONNOR HATES CITY, HE HATES LANGERS

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    We weren't helped by one of the worst penalty decisions I've seen in years, but at the end of the day, it wouldn't have changed the result.
    That strikes me as hyperbole.

I was dubious about the penalty in real time, but would like to see it again. The Harps player was very static waiting for the ball to come to him and obviously did not see Massey coming in on the blindside. If the Harps player made any contact with Massey, its a very straightforward decision. The ref obviously thought it a peno, you did not - Soccer Republic may clarify.

Disappointing also that the Gardai tried to tell us that there was no bar in Oriel. When pointed out that I'd been in the bar before, the story changed to "it's not open tonight", until one of the bar staff came out for a smoke and the story again changed to "it's not open to tonight to you". From the start, a simple word that away fans weren't allowed in would have sufficed.
    Sounds like the bar staff told you the reality while the Garda fed you some BS - maybe you should write a strongly worded letter to the local Garda Super.

I met Harps fans in the bar - did you try to enter the bar from inside or outside the ground?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,356 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post

Sounds like the bar staff told you the reality while the Garda fed you some BS - maybe you should write a strongly worded letter to the local Garda Super.

I met Harps fans in the bar - did you try to enter the bar from inside or outside the ground?
    Weren't talking to the bar staff. Might have come across wrongly there, but any communication was with the Gardaí in the away area. They were the ones who told us firstly there was no bar, secondly the bar wasn't open, and then when we saw the bar worker out for a smoke, that it wasn't open to us.

Had only really the option of trying to go in via the away area, as that's where we were beckoned once we arrived. Little bit disappointing, as when we arrived we'd plenty of time to get in and have a drink in the bar before the game.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Absolute cracker of a game in Greenogue (CIE v UCD). Struggling to remember many better. All non-league sides should get a two goal headstart
    I second this. Rarely, if ever, did I ever get better value for money. CIE were an absolute credit. UCD largely dominated but they never looked out of their depth and Ranch made use of what possession they did enjoy to get two early goals. They defended resolutely for a long time and must have outmuscled UCD on what must have amounted to nearly twenty corners. The picked up a few bookings and a red card but there was no malice or needle in their game, just some mistimed challenges against higher level opposition. They began to seriously wilt around the 75 minute mark but surprisingly after the equaliser managed to nearly conjure up a winner deep into injury time. During extra time their legs completely gave way and they crumbled as the scoreline evidences.

Man of the match was Ranch keeper Brazil. Made at least 5 quality saves during the first 90 minutes to keep them in it. Happened to be standing behind him the whole match and he was great craic. Turns around after 20 minutes and asks how long is left. Kept asking for updated scores in the other games. Even roared out "You fat ***tard" as he took his kick after an "woahhhhhh" from a few spectators. Among it all, who I think was a UCD player family member, managed to get into a completely pointless protracted and profane argument with a steward/stray ball collector. The game had it all.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Weren't talking to the bar staff. Might have come across wrongly there, but any communication was with the Gardaí in the away area. They were the ones who told us firstly there was no bar, secondly the bar wasn't open, and then when we saw the bar worker out for a smoke, that it wasn't open to us.

Had only really the option of trying to go in via the away area, as that's where we were beckoned once we arrived. Little bit disappointing, as when we arrived we'd plenty of time to get in and have a drink in the bar before the game.
    Restrictions on visiting supporters accessing the bar is regularly unnecessary and excessively cautious (although probably sensible at Oriel for the Rovers match next Tuesday evening for example) and the mix of fans can greatly enhance the pre-match atmosphere and craic.

Entry from the ground, from either home or away sections, to the Lilywhite pre-match is not allowed because of ticketing and security checks. Similarly you cant enter the ground from the Lilywhite and must leave the bar and go through the normal ground entrances. That obviously creates problems for supporters wearing colours as they are likely to be directed striaght to the seperate away entry points.

No such issues from the stand to access the Enda McGuill lounge

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    The game had it all.
    Except a fourth official board. I've never heard a ref saying "17 blue" to announce subs before. It also meant no idea how much injury time was left, which I still think is far superior to having x minutes indicated.

I've also never entered a ground via a tunnel under a main road before, much less passed out the teams going back to the dressing room at the same time.

Brilliant fun all round.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts
    Some drama at the Brandywell.

For once, we actually didn't insist on playing it out from the back. We cleared our lines, we used quick kick outs to find runners. Stuff we should have been doing all season.
    For the first time this year, we were better than Pat's.

Got a goal with 10 minutes to go. Need to get another look at it, seemed to trickle in just.
    Come the end, the ref adds four minutes. On 3m 55s, we bring on a sub. Utterly needless. The ref then adds the usual 30 seconds, though probably shouldn't have.
    Pat's head up the pitch, Seabourne clumsily brought down Madden for a penalty. The penalty probably wasn't the best, but Doherty still did well to save with his legs. That's the second late penalty Pat's have missed at the Brandy this year. Ref blows immediately after it's saved, the ground erupts.
    Haven't had such drama like that in quite a while. Some buzz.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Pats would drive you mad. Massive fan of Bucko and all he's done for us but think it might be time for a change at this point.

Elsewhere I see Dylan McGlade is really starting to put it all together now with Longford, seen a few lads saying his performances are far too good for the league he's in. Liked him at Pats but was equally if not more frustrated by him, clearly had talent but made terrible decisions, always trying to beat the same man again etc etc. Surprised we weren't more patient with him though and wouldn't say no to him coming back, however unlikely it may be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    We were never realistically going to get past Dundalk last night. We were far from embarrassed though, which is always a plus. Keeping the scoreline somewhat respectable was always going to be a best case scenario really. We weren't helped by one of the worst penalty decisions I've seen in years, but at the end of the day, it wouldn't have changed the result. Dundalk always had a second gear in them.

My only disappointment was that our ball retention was very poor and we were a shadow of the side we've seen in recent weeks on the ball.

You should have gone to the stand Nigel, access to the smaller bar, better view too in the away seating area, plus you’d have had the option to go into the terrace from the stand if you wanted to.

They would never let away fans into the bigger bar from the terrrace.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    Derry v Bohs
    UCD v Waterford
    Limerick v Dundalk
    Longford v Cork

About as handy as you could get for Dundalk and Cork again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    Also, irrational grrr at the FAI President referring to Premiership clubs in the draw. And generally not having a clue when it came to talking about the draw.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Also, irrational grrr at the FAI President referring to Premiership clubs in the draw. And generally not having a clue when it came to talking about the draw.
    You can't possibly expect the president of the FAI to know anything about the clubs in the FAI Cup.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Was fully sure longford were going to come out away to limerick and it would be us vs dundalk. Derry v bohs will be a good game I reckon could go either way. You'd expect the top 3 to come through their ties but anything can happen especially with all 3 being away from home.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Unlucky for Dundalk, but I suppose their brave cup run had to end somewhere.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Two trips to lims for Dundalk in (prob) 7 days Just as well i have the car running on the green

Have to say,i really enjoyed the highlights from CIE Ranch v UCD on Soccer Republic this evening.Proper old skool cup tie that.GK for CIE R. was outstanding

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Derry v Bohs
    UCD v Waterford
    Limerick v Dundalk
    Longford v Cork

About as handy as you could get for Dundalk and Cork again
    Caulfield and co haven’t a prayer against Fenn’s red and black arrows. 3-0 Town.

If Cork could arrange to bring a few with them to watch their humiliation that would be appreciated.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast