PDA

View Full Version : eircom Sponsorship up for Renewal

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

diamond
24/07/2008, 10:17 AM
Just heard Eircom are severing all links with the league. anyone got any more info?

Buile Shuibhne
24/07/2008, 10:22 AM
http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhqlausnojmh/

jebus
24/07/2008, 10:26 AM
Anyone else hear cracking coming from the roof?

passinginterest
24/07/2008, 10:31 AM
Anyone else hear cracking coming from the roof?

A little chicken has just run past screaming something about the sky...

Rovers Maniac
24/07/2008, 10:32 AM
God shocking news, did they not hear our champions knocked out the champions of Estonia yesterday? :mad:

Battery Rover
24/07/2008, 10:37 AM
Someone might be able to verify this but when we were at the Fans Forum in Abbottstown last season it was said that to be involved with the International team you had to support the League of Ireland.

In the statement it says Eircom are to continue with the national team which contradicts what we heard from the FAI

passinginterest
24/07/2008, 10:37 AM
I hope the sponsorship at least continues until the end of the season. It might work out well in the long term. Eircom's main interest is obviously the national team, maybe now the FAI will be able to attract a sponsor that is dedicated to the League of Ireland and will be interested in promoting it strongly. It probably doesn't do Platinum One's proposal any harm either.

Pauro 76
24/07/2008, 10:41 AM
Maybe get another sponsor on board. Wonder will Pat Grace's Famous Fried Chicken fancy it?

Danny
24/07/2008, 10:44 AM
Platinum 1 or Setanta to "pounce"

diamond
24/07/2008, 10:44 AM
our champions have given away their jersey to charity for christ sake. i dont think any company is waiting in line to take on the league.
another huge blow for the league. i for one am not too optimistic about companies queuing up to hand over their money to a league that can only attract bad press at the moment
lets face it eircom were crap for us but better than nothing.

i wonder if we could convince the toll people from the m50 that they need some good press, or the HSE ???????anyone????

Rovers Maniac
24/07/2008, 10:46 AM
The Mizzoni pizza and pasta league would go down well

Magicme
24/07/2008, 10:47 AM
Someone might be able to verify this but when we were at the Fans Forum in Abbottstown last season it was said that to be involved with the International team you had to support the League of Ireland.

In the statement it says Eircom are to continue with the national team which contradicts what we heard from the FAI

I thought there was something like that in place too.

Ash
24/07/2008, 10:49 AM

That was my understanding too

Conroy
24/07/2008, 10:51 AM
Platinum 1 will be rubbing there hands at this.

holidaysong
24/07/2008, 10:54 AM
The good thing about this however is people might call it the League of Ireland rather than the eircom League... I never got why everyone put the sponsor in when talking about it.. You don't hear the league in England being called the Barclays Premier League by fans.

Dodge
24/07/2008, 10:55 AM
Bunch of drama queens. Lets wait and see who we get on board before declarig the end is nigh. Sponsors come and go, eircom were always relectunt sponsors of the league so maybe now we'll get a chance to get a sponsor who actually wants to be involved

stovelid
24/07/2008, 10:56 AM
Platinum 1 or Setanta to "pounce"

Perhaps some movement has been made with Drury already if they want rid of the league, but not the national team?

elroy
Not good news, does anyone know how much this is worth per year??

Ok the league isnt getting great press at the moment and this isnt going to help but eircom did ok out of the deal, their name is mentioned in literally everything to do with the league, from match reports to sports bulletins etc, surely another sponsor should be found without too much hassle. Any chance ford will want to take it on??

Rovers Maniac
Platinum 1 will be rubbing there hands at this.

Why would they? They need the IFA and a lesser extent Linfield to agree to there proposal and there is no chance of that. Thats where there issue lies.

GuisaSaigon
I remember hearing from a person who was involved in the running of a league club a couple of years back that the Eircom deal was fairly crap for the league. He seemed to think the end of Eircom's sponsorship would offer an opportunity for the LOI to secure a deal that would really benefit the league.

Battery Rover
24/07/2008, 11:01 AM
3 Mobile ;)

Just have a feeling on this after some sponsorship I was dealing with locally in Athlone

passinginterest
24/07/2008, 11:01 AM
Candidates to take over?

Umbro - Obvious FAI connection, heavily involved at junior levels
Ford - Main cup sponsors

Vodafone or O2 - Tend to be heavily involved in sponsorship deals, a core market that would be a target for them.

The Banks - Heavily involved in GAA and rugby sponsorship, might be enticed towards football.

Foot.ie - We all know Dahamsta is loaded :)

passinginterest
24/07/2008, 11:02 AM
3 Mobile ;)

Just have a feeling on this after some sponsorship I was dealing with locally in Athlone

Owned by Eircom are they not?

Macy
24/07/2008, 11:03 AM
Could care less whether eircom sponsor the league or not - they did nothing to promote it. However, I would be concerned if this is some FAI sell out, as with others, I thought this was all tied in with the League getting it's share of the National team sponsorship money (similar to the TV deal).

Macy
24/07/2008, 11:04 AM
Owned by Eircom are they not?
No - meteor are owned by eircon.

holidaysong
24/07/2008, 11:05 AM

Nice pun if it was intendend! :D

lofty9
24/07/2008, 11:06 AM
Time to change the name of this section of foot.ie then.

Strange that they would withdraw as their name has become synonymous with the LOI over recent years. Just a silly example is that on holidays, my wee lad was playing Fifa on his DS and a little English lad was calling the league "THE EIRCOM". I suppose Eircom are not competing in an international market for this to be good (or are they ??) but maybe we could source a bigger sponsorship in this context.

passinginterest
24/07/2008, 11:06 AM

Fair enough, I was going to include them in my list of possible sponsors too. The mobile phone companies would definitely be targeting the demographic that attends League of Ireland games.

Battery Rover
24/07/2008, 11:08 AM
On the plus side it gives me a free page in the match programme for another paid advert or more content if it is Umbro

holidaysong
24/07/2008, 11:10 AM
When does their current sponsorship deal end? Are they withdrawing with immediate effect?

Dodge
24/07/2008, 11:10 AM
The demographic that attends the game is only a small factor. Its stipulated in all club/FAI contracts that the sponsor is mentioned in all adds/press releases and eircom definitely got their money's worth in terms of TV, radio and press coverage.

With TV increasing hugely the FAI have way more bargaining power than before, and in fairness the companies they've got on board for the FAi Cup etc have tended to be huge brand names

mark12345
24/07/2008, 11:12 AM
Just a few days ago you lads had me convinced that the league was in good shape - but don't know what to believe now.

The week starts off with Fintan Drury saying Eircom League is dying and needs All-Ireland League to survive.

And then, despite Drogheda's victory in Estonia the coach of Kiev really puts the Co. Louth side down on Thursday by saying: "Our opponents (next) play a very simple game using long balls forward and set pieces."

And then the news that Eircom are severing all links.

What's goin on lads?

Dodge
24/07/2008, 11:15 AM
Last year Vodafone pulled out of their deal wit Man Utd. They seemed to have pulled through that crisis.

Stop being a dick mark and only post on subjects you know about. if you want to learna botu the league read the posts first

KianD
24/07/2008, 11:16 AM
eircom now saying this is untrue:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/soccer/mhqlausngbmh/

Macy
24/07/2008, 11:17 AM
Just a few days ago you lads had me convinced that the league was in good shape - but don't know what to believe now.

The week starts off with Fintan Drury saying Eircom League is dying and needs All-Ireland League to survive.

And then, despite Drogheda's victory in Estonia the coach of Kiev really puts the Co. Louth side down on Thursday by saying: "Our opponents (next) play a very simple game using long balls forward and set pieces."

What's goin on lads?
It's in Fintan Drury's interests to say the league is dying; Doolin's teams have always played long ball rubbish it's not news but lets see how they get on before believing what their coach says; and it's too early say whether it's a positive or negative of eircon pulling out. Any other clarifications required? :rolleyes:

holidaysong
24/07/2008, 11:18 AM
eircom now saying this is untrue:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/soccer/mhqlausngbmh/

It's a farce. :rolleyes:

Rovers Maniac
24/07/2008, 11:18 AM
Last year Vodafone pulled out of their deal wit Man Utd. They seemed to have pulled through that crisis.

Stop being a dick mark and only post on subjects you know about. if you want to learna botu the league read the posts first

Vodafone were not too happy about the crowd trouble at some of the United games in Europe and that is why they pulled out. They have a very strict policy who they sponsor when it comes to football.

stovelid
24/07/2008, 11:19 AM

What's goin on lads?

Don't forget "sh*te football", "low crowds", "hooligan problems" and "absence of 80000 seater stadia".

Phew.

Finally enough excuses to stop going......

Dodge
24/07/2008, 11:22 AM
Vodafone were not too happy about the crowd trouble at some of the United games in Europe and that is why they pulled out. They have a very strict policy who they sponsor when it comes to football.

Get a ****ing grip will you? Do you believe all media spin?

Rovers Maniac
24/07/2008, 11:22 AM
It's a farce. :rolleyes:

This sums up the league perfectly, shocking

Rovers Maniac
24/07/2008, 11:24 AM
Get a ****ing grip will you? Do you believe all media spin?

Sorry Dodge you probably know more about Vodafone than this gentleman you clown

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Horn-Smith :)

ifk101
24/07/2008, 11:54 AM
So is the "crisis" over now? :D

Rovers Maniac
24/07/2008, 11:58 AM
So is the "crisis" over now? :D

:D Yes all is rosey again in the land of Foot

Maybe they read my post that Our Champions just got to the second round of the champions league? :)

pete
24/07/2008, 12:03 PM
Did ye read the statement?

24/07/2008 - 11:50:48
Eircom have denied that they are about to end their sponsorship of the eircom League.

In a statement just issued they have stated that: "The current contract is due to expire at the end of 2008.

"Eircom is currently in discussions with the FAI regarding sponsorship of Irish soccer. These discussions are ongoing, and eircom will not comment on specific aspects until the negotiations have concluded."

Eircom have sponsored the Irish national soccer team since 200 and began backing the domestic league soon after that.

This in not news. Sponsorship has not concluded yet & negotiations for renewal are common for all contracts! At the fans forums the FAI said they has numerous commercial options id eircom leave or don't pay what they think the league is worth as they use expertise of FAI commercial department.

Eircom have done very little to promote a league which includes the name of their company. I would prefer a sponsor that links in better with live sports.

jebus
24/07/2008, 12:03 PM
:D Yes all is rosey again in the land of Foot

Maybe they read my post that Our Champions just got to the second round of the champions league? :)

Wow they beat a bunch of no marks from Estonia, that will shut up all the naysayers of the Eircom League, at least until Kiev hammer Drogheda

Rovers Maniac
24/07/2008, 12:12 PM
Wow they beat a bunch of no marks from Estonia, that will shut up all the naysayers of the Eircom League, at least until Kiev hammer Drogheda

Well my mate has no interest in the League of Ireland and he said he was taking his kids to see a game just because of the result yesterday which is what we want. :)

jebus
24/07/2008, 12:14 PM
Well my mate has no interest in the League of Ireland and he said he was taking his kids to see a game just because of the result yesterday which is what we want. :)

Your mate will run off as soon as he realises Man Utd are back on the telly in two weeks

GavinZac
24/07/2008, 12:14 PM
This sums up the league perfectly, shocking

Whats it got to do with the league? Someone makes up a story and its denied almost immediately - media's problem, not ours.

Rovers Maniac
24/07/2008, 12:16 PM
Your mate will run off as soon as he realises Man Utd are back on the telly in two weeks

Come on Jeebus don't attack all new fans coming to the game, anyway i will tell him never to wear a Rugby jersey given that thread about the guy wearing a rugby jersey to the game and getting abuse. It is all becoming very clear now :)

Rovers Maniac
24/07/2008, 12:17 PM
Whats it got to do with the league? Someone makes up a story and its denied almost immediately - media's problem, not ours.

No Smoke without fire and all that