PDA

View Full Version : AIL 'On Long Finger'

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mr A
27/06/2008, 3:15 PM
From the Irish Examiner (http://www.irishexaminer.com/text/story.asp?j=mhaucwojmhqley&p=3xz54zx&n=3025462)

All-Ireland League long-fingered by IFA chiefs
24 June 2008

By Tony Leen, Sports Editor
IRISH FOOTBALL Association chiefs in Belfast have blown a massive hole in attempts to set up an All-Ireland League by revealing they’re not interested in the project at present.
IFA chief executive Howard Wells has told the prime mover in the project, Fintan Drury, that he does not see much point in talks at the moment.

The blow comes in the wake of a meeting between ten clubs — eight from the eircom League and two from the north’s Carnegie League — organised to discuss the project’s feasibility.

Representatives from Bohemians, Cork City, Derry City, Drogheda Utd, St Pat’s, Limerick 37, Shamrock Rovers and Galway United met with Linfield and Glentoran officials last Friday and urged the IFA and the FAI to begin talks on the possibility of an All-Ireland League.

Click the link for full story.

Mr A
27/06/2008, 3:16 PM
Bit mad to think of Limerick and Galway in discussions about an AIL at the moment.

The concept reeks of franchise football to me.

Red Army
27/06/2008, 5:13 PM
The concept reeks of franchise football to me.
I hope it doesn’t happen because if it ever goes ahead it will be something like the poxy A-league in Australia.

Patrick Dunne
28/06/2008, 9:02 AM
It is important that the well-run clubs in large catchment areas are included.

GavinZac
28/06/2008, 9:05 AM
It is important that the well-run clubs in large catchment areas are included.

Right.

So, where do Limerick #37 and Galway Unsustainable come into it?

jebus
28/06/2008, 9:09 AM
Right.

So, where do Limerick #37 and Galway Unsustainable come into it?

Agree completely with Gavin and the rest on our and Galway's inclusion. We're getting our house in order, but probably need another 2-3 years before there could be talk of including us. From the stories coming out of Galway they may need to drop down a division, restructure their playing staff, revert to part time and move forward from there, so probably need the same timeframe as we do.

The only problem for an AIL is that it probably does need teams from the Republic's 3rd and 4th cities involved, if we're not ready who else do you include? It's not like there is a queue of well run clubs in this league ready to step up to the plate

seanfhear
28/06/2008, 9:17 AM
an ail league must have a two up two down relegation/promotion aspect to it.If the organisers of an all ireland league cannot understand this then they are so out of touch with the competitive element that football supporters crave they should withdraw their proposals until they come to understand what competition is about.With promotion /relegation if a team has a disastrous season they can always regain their status.Relegation/promotion battles can be just as exciting as championship battles

GavinZac
28/06/2008, 9:23 AM
The only problem for an AIL is that it probably does need teams from the Republic's 3rd and 4th cities involved, if we're not ready who else do you include? It's not like there is a queue of well run clubs in this league ready to step up to the plate
I reckon replacing our current bottom 3, UCD, Ramblers and Galway with 3 top clubs from the North would immediately and significantly bump up the quality (and support) of teams in the premier. Rather than Galway condemning themselves and Ramblers losing virtually every game away from home, we'd have Shamrock Rovers, Sligo Rovers, Finn Harps and maybe Cliftonville battling to stay out of 2 relegation/promotion places.

And that's right now, with 0 funding or promotion changes.

pineapple stu
28/06/2008, 11:21 AM
After years of disappointment with get-rich-quick schemes, I know I'm going to get rich with this scheme. And quick!

GavinZac
28/06/2008, 11:24 AM
After years of disappointment with get-rich-quick schemes, I know I'm going to get rich with this scheme. And quick!

I prefer to call it my "get rid of UCD quick" scheme. The longer process is making progress though, and we're doing our bit.

superfrank
28/06/2008, 11:40 AM
I prefer to call it my "get rid of UCD quick" scheme. The longer process is making progress though, and we're doing our bit.
Ah yes, get rid of a UCD team who do enough every year to stay in the Premier and replace them with a Limerick side who haven't played in the Premier in how long?

Added to that, their finances can't be any better than UCD's, considering the amount of times they've come close to hitting the wall and, in fact, hitting it a few years ago.

Rather than Galway condemning themselves and Ramblers losing virtually every game away from home, we'd have Shamrock Rovers, Sligo Rovers, Finn Harps and maybe Cliftonville battling to stay out of 2 relegation/promotion places.
But Galway are being included in the proposals at this stage. :confused:

holidaysong
28/06/2008, 11:44 AM
It's a bad joke that Galway are being considered.

passerrby
28/06/2008, 1:56 PM
It's a bad joke that Galway are being considered.

yeah but you want to see there dvd

holidaysong
28/06/2008, 3:24 PM
yeah but you want to see there dvd

The way they are going at the moment, it's about time they brought out a special edition director's cut.

EalingGreen
28/06/2008, 3:56 PM
an ail league must have a two up two down relegation/promotion aspect to it.If the organisers of an all ireland league cannot understand this then they are so out of touch with the competitive element that football supporters crave they should withdraw their proposals until they come to understand what competition is about.With promotion /relegation if a team has a disastrous season they can always regain their status.Relegation/promotion battles can be just as exciting as championship battles

Agree 100% that P&R is absolutely essential to maintain footballing integrity and consequent supporter interest.

BUT.

For such a league to work on a full-time basis, it will need v.significant investment by the clubs in stadia, facilities, marketing etc, otherwise supporters in ROI won't see much difference from the present set up, bar a couple of "big" clubs from NI (with associated extra travel costs) and a couple of Provincial NI clubs (where they won't want to travel, after the novelty has worn off!). And realistically, few investors will risk medium-to-long term investment funds on a venture which could get relegated in the short term. Which means the age-old dilemma between spending all your money on players to stay up there, or thinking long term and risking going under because the team is neglected.

Which is why the backers of such a league will want to restrict P&R as much as possible, at least for a season or three.

Which raises another problem, namely, I think I'm right in saying that UEFA will not sanction Leagues which don't have a minimum degree of P&R, from an adequate "feeder" pyramid.

All of which serves to highlight the essential flaw in this whole plan, namely, that with a population of less than 6 million people, the island cannot (imo) realistically support more than 6 or 8 (10 maximum?) genuinely full-time professional football clubs. Especially when you consider the population is still concentrated in three urban areas, the game has historically been so starved of investment, and it will always face competition not just from GAA and Rugby, but also from football in England and Scotland (via SKY and Easyjet etc).

Worse still, these will likely always be the same 6/8/10 clubs, in the same half-dozen cities and towns. Therefore, whilst a well-run AIL* offers the potential to be a significant improvement on the present set-up, nonetheless, anyone who thinks it will be the "answer to a Maiden's prayer" is deluding himself (imo).

* - And that's only if it is well-run; I've not been impressed by what I've heard to date on that score...

seanfhear
28/06/2008, 8:09 PM
Agree 100% that P&R is absolutely essential to maintain footballing integrity and consequent supporter interest.

BUT.

For such a league to work on a full-time basis, it will need v.significant investment by the clubs in stadia, facilities, marketing etc, otherwise supporters in ROI won't see much difference from the present set up, bar a couple of "big" clubs from NI (with associated extra travel costs) and a couple of Provincial NI clubs (where they won't want to travel, after the novelty has worn off!). And realistically, few investors will risk medium-to-long term investment funds on a venture which could get relegated in the short term. Which means the age-old dilemma between spending all your money on players to stay up there, or thinking long term and risking going under because the team is neglected.

Which is why the backers of such a league will want to restrict P&R as much as possible, at least for a season or three.

Which raises another problem, namely, I think I'm right in saying that UEFA will not sanction Leagues which don't have a minimum degree of P&R, from an adequate "feeder" pyramid.

All of which serves to highlight the essential flaw in this whole plan, namely, that with a population of less than 6 million people, the island cannot (imo) realistically support more than 6 or 8 (10 maximum?) genuinely full-time professional football clubs. Especially when you consider the population is still concentrated in three urban areas, the game has historically been so starved of investment, and it will always face competition not just from GAA and Rugby, but also from football in England and Scotland (via SKY and Easyjet etc).

Worse still, these will likely always be the same 6/8/10 clubs, in the same half-dozen cities and towns. Therefore, whilst a well-run AIL* offers the potential to be a significant improvement on the present set-up, nonetheless, anyone who thinks it will be the "answer to a Maiden's prayer" is deluding himself (imo).

* - And that's only if it is well-run; I've not been impressed by what I've heard to date on that score...
realistically for an ail to happen one of the tv companies[sky/setanta] probably setanta are going to have to take a punt[investment]for two or three years probably with limited promotion/relegation.I think they would be willing to take that chance but are probably worried if the gardai could cope with policing these game.I think that the psni are probably better equipped to manage the games.Regardless of an ail the gardai need to learn how english/scottish police forces have learned to deal with potentially troublesome matches

osarusan
29/06/2008, 3:14 AM
I reckon replacing our current bottom 3, UCD, Ramblers and Galway with 3 top clubs from the North would immediately and significantly bump up the quality (and support) of teams in the premier.

Why would the support improve? Why would hundreds more people pay to see Cliftonville struggle to stay up that currently pay to watch Cobh struggle to stay up?

Why would hundreds more people pay to watch Cork play Sligo in the AIL than currently pay to watch them in the eL?

dcfcsteve
29/06/2008, 4:47 AM

BUT.

I'm not awareof anyone who thinks an AIL is the magic wand for Irish football.
Most just think itwill better than what we've currently got.

You've treated us to a lovely treatise on why you think an all-island league is funamentally flawed (hevaily based on assumption your arguement is though). Regadless - please explain the alternative as you see it ? Please exlain what non-AIL future you see for Irish football, and particularly the IL ? If you question the viability of 6-8 full-time clubs on an all-island basis, please explain what future you see for an IL with only one or two full-time clubs ?

SMorgan
29/06/2008, 5:09 AM
I am fairly certain that an ail will happen but it has to happen on the IFA's and the FAI's term's. Fintan Drury and Jim Roddy need to be told to step back and that when it does happen it will be done it such away that protects the interests of the game as a whole. The scheme has been well described as a "get rich quick scheme" that you'd expect to hear about on Joe Duffy's Liveline.

How in the name of goodness could Galway or Limerick hope to compete in such a league even with 4 to 5 years to prepare? After a couple of season's finishing bottom of the league both clubs will end up with more players on the park than fans on the terraces. Somebodys not thinking straight

jebus
29/06/2008, 8:08 AM
Why would the support improve? Why would hundreds more people pay to see Cliftonville struggle to stay up that currently pay to watch Cobh struggle to stay up?

Why would hundreds more people pay to watch Cork play Sligo in the AIL than currently pay to watch them in the eL?

This would be the series of questions I'd pose to pro-AILers as well.

seanfhear
29/06/2008, 8:48 AM
There is a large propotion of people in ni that have football as their first sport of choice which can be proved in recent times by having a competive international team[also historically].I believe that they are crying out for a more competitive fayre.If linfield/glentoran were in serious contention to win the ail with the competition that this would bring from southern teams you then have the ingredients to attract more fans.We cannot just throw our hands in the air and say that there can be no improvements to irish football.When it was suggested that summer football be brought in there was naysayers and doom merchants and it has really improved the quality of football played in the loi.If the ail was established in one or two years there would not a thought of going back to the situation we have now

jebus
29/06/2008, 9:10 AM
There is a large propotion of people in ni that have football as their first sport of choice which can be proved in recent times by having a competive international team[also historically].I believe that they are crying out for a more competitive fayre.If linfield/glentoran were in serious contention to win the ail with the competition that this would bring from southern teams you then have the ingredients to attract more fans.We cannot just throw our hands in the air and say that there can be no improvements to irish football.When it was suggested that summer football be brought in there was naysayers and doom merchants and it has really improved the quality of football played in the loi.If the ail was established in one or two years there would not a thought of going back to the situation we have now

I'm not concerned with IL teams attracting more fans, I'm talking about LoI teams attracting more fans. Glentoran are no more going to attract a crowd in Limerick than Galway do, and it would be the same around the country I feel. Linfield would probably attract the wrong sort of fan, the Southern knuckledragger who still thinks we can just take back the 6 counties, but they at least would probably contend for the title, so in theory would add a few more fans to the gates of their fellow title contenders. My question would then be if it would be worth it to lose a Champions League spot among us, have our Uefa Cup teams cut down as well, and boot established Premier Legadue sides like UCD (and they are an established side no matter what some of you might think) for the sake of attracting 2-300 fans to the grounds of Pats, Bohs, Cork and whoever else is in the league title race in the AIL for the Linfield game alone

Gather round
29/06/2008, 9:11 AM
I'm not awareof anyone who thinks an AIL is the magic wand for Irish football. Most just think itwill better than what we've currently got.

[Ealing Green] treated us to a lovely treatise on why you think an all-island league is funamentally flawed (hevaily based on assumption your arguement is though). Regadless - please explain the alternative as you see it ? Please exlain what non-AIL future you see for Irish football, and particularly the IL ? If you question the viability of 6-8 full-time clubs on an all-island basis, please explain what future you see for an IL with only one or two full-time clubs ?

NI could survive with

a) two full time clubs in an otherwise part time and thus uncompetitive league

b) outside competition in the early rounds of UEFA plus Setanta

c) the better young players going straight to professional football in England from school. And then providing our international side, like yours.

Whereas in an AIL Glentoran, Linfield, Portadown and Cliftonville could potentially flourish with extra investment, thus better players etc. On the other hand, they- particularly Linfield- wouldn't start almost every season as clear favourite. Which might see interest fall off.

Middle-ranking IL teams would have an extra hurdle to get into Europe (assuming they see that as a priority).

GavinZac
29/06/2008, 9:59 AM
Ah yes, get rid of a UCD team who do enough every year to stay in the Premier and replace them with a Limerick side who haven't played in the Premier in how long?

Added to that, their finances can't be any better than UCD's, considering the amount of times they've come close to hitting the wall and, in fact, hitting it a few years ago.

But Galway are being included in the proposals at this stage. :confused:

You really are confused, but it would help if you read my posts.

GavinZac
29/06/2008, 10:02 AM
Why would the support improve? Why would hundreds more people pay to see Cliftonville struggle to stay up that currently pay to watch Cobh struggle to stay up?You don't see that replacing say, UCD with Linfield, would increase the average attendances in the league? Come on, this is simple maths.

Why would hundreds more people pay to watch Cork play Sligo in the AIL than currently pay to watch them in the eL?I didn't say they would. The point is having one, two or three less '**** clubs with no fans'.

seanfhear
29/06/2008, 10:06 AM
we need a more competitive league so that when our teams do get into europe that they can be competitive there.Its only when our teams produce results in europe that some people will sit up and take notice. It may be the chicken and egg scenario but to get improvements in european we have to take advantage of the situation on this island that can make our league more competitive.Fair dos to linfield for all their league titles but against what opposition in recent times .The stiffer the competition the higher the standards it is in our human makeup

jebus
29/06/2008, 10:18 AM
we need a more competitive league so that when our teams do get into europe that they can be competitive there.Its only when our teams produce results in europe that some people will sit up and take notice. It may be the chicken and egg scenario but to get improvements in european we have to take advantage of the situation on this island that can make our league more competitive.Fair dos to linfield for all their league titles but against what opposition in recent times .The stiffer the competition the higher the standards it is in our human makeup

But my point is that UEFA are hardly going to give us the same European places as the Scottish Premier, so we would end up having less teams in the Europe, which would equal less chances of someone 'doing a Shels' again. Even on the Shels point, their European Cup run that ended with an honourable defeat against Depor hardly morphed into more credit for the league did it? It was viewed by barstoolers in the same way Havant's match against Liverpool in the FA Cup last year was, a 'oh it's nice the rubbish teams get their day in the sun isn't it?', and they then went back to watching the Premiership on Saturday evenings

GavinZac
29/06/2008, 10:31 AM
But my point is that UEFA are hardly going to give us the same European places as the Scottish Premier, so we would end up having less teams in the Europe, which would equal less chances of someone 'doing a Shels' again. Even on the Shels point, their European Cup run that ended with an honourable defeat against Depor hardly morphed into more credit for the league did it? It was viewed by barstoolers in the same way Havant's match against Liverpool in the FA Cup last year was, a 'oh it's nice the rubbish teams get their day in the sun isn't it?', and they then went back to watching the Premiership on Saturday evenings

We (meaning eircom league fans) wouldn't lose any places. We'd end up sharing them with NI teams though. The increased competition for those places would only be a good thing - less chance of unprepared part-time players representing us. Recognition will obviously either take a series of good results e.g. qualification for the UEFA groups - or one fortuitous draw that sees a team into the CL groups. If we don't believe that then we might as well pack it in and go back to a few lads playing on Sunday morning with a hangover

seanfhear
29/06/2008, 10:32 AM
I dont know if it would be possible or not bit it would be very helpful to the establishment of an ail if uefa gave the new league some extra european places for the first 2/3 years.There are solutions if the will and ambition are there

GavinZac
29/06/2008, 10:35 AM
I dont know if it would be possible or not bit it would be very helpful to the establishment of an ail if uefa gave the new league some extra european places for the first 2/3 years.There are solutions if the will and ambition are there

Looking for handouts from europe again? :D :p

jebus
29/06/2008, 10:36 AM
We (meaning eircom league fans) wouldn't lose any places. We'd end up sharing them with NI teams though.

I know, but putting us together in one league we would lose places from our combined total.

If we don't believe that then we might as well pack it in and go back to a few lads playing on Sunday morning with a hangover

You haven't watched much First Division then? :p

Not a hope, even combining the IL and LoI co-efficient points we fall short of what we need to gain extra places

seanfhear
29/06/2008, 11:13 AM
Looking for handouts from europe again? :D :p
you got me there:cool:
It would be interesting to get a uefa perspective on an ail but i doubt if they will make any comment .Being pro ail I would like to hear some encouragement

gufct
29/06/2008, 11:26 AM
Despite looking for Negatives which seems always to be the forte of el fans why not look at the positives.

1. A properly run well financed league .

2. Well Marketed.

3 Supported by both governments and backed by international sponsors.

4. A properly financed television deal

5. Impoved Stadia & facilities throughout the country.

As for the teams who are interested in being involved there is far more chance of a properly run Limerick or Galway attracting new fans and sustaining them than the majority of clubs not invoved.

Im not fully convinced that the time is right for an AIL but somthing serious has to be done as what we have now is not working.

jebus
29/06/2008, 11:36 AM
1. A properly run well financed league .

2. Well Marketed.

3 Supported by both governments and backed by international sponsors.

4. A properly financed television deal

5. Impoved Stadia & facilities throughout the country.

1. Would it be? What if attendences didn't increase? As a Galway fan you must know that projected income sometimes doesn't translate into actual money

2. In what way would it be better marketed than the current model?

3. Which international sponser (that would make a difference) is willing to come on board?

4. Our new television deal isn't bad at all

5. How? Where's the money coming from to improve the stadiums and facilities?

As for Limerick and Galway attracting more fans if well run, I'm starting to have my doubts about that for both clubs to be honest. I think Limerick have fallen too far behind our rugby friends in the minds of the Limerick sporting public to ever make a dent (barring a complete collapse of the Munster franchise of course), add to that a lot of peoples distrust of Limerick senior football and I find it hard to see us breaking 2k attendence even as an established AIL Premier side. Galway on the other hand, well the financial problems and falling attendance even in the Premier with a big name manager would suggest to me that Galway just isn't a football town. Not trying to have a dig but there's no real footballing history for the barstoolers to latch onto with GUFC, so unless Galway went on some miracle run in the AIL I wouldn't be sure about the club attracting the type of hardcore fanbase this new league would hope ye would.

osarusan
29/06/2008, 12:52 PM
You don't see that replacing say, UCD with Linfield, would increase the average attendances in the league? Come on, this is simple maths.

Of course it would. Linfield get bigger crowds, and they'll bring a greater away support to games. But thats the average attendance. The number of fans at a Cork Sligo game wouldn't be increasing at all. So we'd get bigger numbers at one game a week, but the others would see no change in numbers. I don't think thats much progress.

I reckon replacing our current bottom 3, UCD, Ramblers and Galway with 3 top clubs from the North would immediately and significantly bump up the quality (and support) of teams in the premier.

And that's right now, with 0 funding or promotion changes.
What did you mean when you wrote that post? It reads to me like you think that in an AIL, attendances will increase at all clubs. If that is your point, then I just don't see why that would happen.

passerrby
29/06/2008, 12:56 PM
I'm not awareof anyone who thinks an AIL is the magic wand for Irish football.
Most just think itwill better than what we've currently got.

You've treated us to a lovely treatise on why you think an all-island league is funamentally flawed (hevaily based on assumption your arguement is though). Regadless - please explain the alternative as you see it ? Please exlain what non-AIL future you see for Irish football, and particularly the IL ? If you question the viability of 6-8 full-time clubs on an all-island basis, please explain what future you see for an IL with only one or two full-time clubs ?

actualuy some people do think its the solution to all there problems. personnally i dont think it would be any inprovement on the current mess.
everything we discuss here is based on assumtions as the ail group are unable or unwilling to lay out there plans for all to see.
as for alternative why not a twenty two team league with teams dropping out if the dont come up to a certain critiea after say five years.
this plan may be crap but has as much valitidy as an ail.
i think that pass history questions the viability of full time football on the island.

superfrank
29/06/2008, 1:49 PM
You really are confused, but it would help if you read my posts.
You referred to the AIL as your "get rid of UCD" plan.

As it stands, Limerick and Galway will be let in. Having Limerick and Galway in there is a joke. Both these clubs are not as well-run as UCD. Whereas UCD have consistent crowds, Limerick and Galway don't. UCD have a better squad than both, yet the AIL would rather include them.

Are you going to continue to support the rich-club AIL if these two are included in the proposals?

dcfcsteve
29/06/2008, 2:03 PM
I know, but putting us together in one league we would lose places from our combined total.

The old trusty Euro places red herring... :o

Every EL club can currently compete for only one of four Euro spaces. The same for each IL club. Under an AIL each of those clubs would STILL be competing for only one of four places - so numerically no individual club woukld be any worsee off. Competition for those spaces would be higher - granted. But anythingt that changes a league would have a similar effect. Did everyone complain aboutn the 1985 expansion of the League of Ireland on the basis that more teams would make Euro qualification more difficult ?

There would be actually be a very strong arguement to say that an AIL could lead to an increase in the number of Euro slots available to each individual club over time. More larger teams in a single league should lead to better Euro results, which would eventually lead to better seeding, additional Euro spaces etc.

The Euro slots arguement is a pure red herring - usually served up un-ccoked with little thought behind it.

GavinZac
29/06/2008, 2:04 PM
Are you going to continue to support the rich-club AIL if these two are included in the proposals?Lesser of two evils. Pointless unambitious club with no hope of ever attracting a decent support base in an already saturated catchment area, or two currently poor choices for premier teams (you'll notice i was the first to point this out)? As I said, I would prefer if Galway or Limerick weren't involved. However, at least someday its a remote possibility either club could be seriously challenging and drawing good crowds. UCD never have, they never will. To the outside world, they are the punchline in the joke that is Irish football.

osarusan
29/06/2008, 2:12 PM
Every EL club can currently compete for only one of four Euro spaces. The same for each IL club.

At the moment, 8 clubs will get into Europe from the two seperate leagues. In the event of the AIL starting, that number would be reduced to 4. Thats what he meant by saying "combined total".

And thats only if European places are available in an AIL, which is not certain yet either.

dcfcsteve
29/06/2008, 2:33 PM
At the moment, 8 clubs will get into Europe from the two seperate leagues. In the event of the AIL starting, that number would be reduced to 4. Thats what he meant by saying "combined total".

I understand what he's sayng. I'm just stating that it is irrelevant - as the windows available to each individual club don't change. Hence why it's a red herring - yet it still gets trotted out like it's something huge to worry about.

And if anything, the Eur slots would be more more likely to increase over time under an AIL than under the two individual leagues - thereby putting each individual club actually in a better position vis-a-vis Euro slots.

pineapple stu
29/06/2008, 2:44 PM
Steve, your maths have been disproven as bull**** on numerous occasions. European places are an issue in this league. Can you drop that and move on?

superfrank
29/06/2008, 2:46 PM
To the outside world, they are the punchline in the joke that is Irish football.
Simply because they have low crowds?

They are the finest example of a well-run club. They have consistently performed well on a small budget. God forgive them for not wanting to break the bank and jeopardise their club's future. Smart, sensible finance management has led them as far as they can go. They should be respected, not despised.

GavinZac
29/06/2008, 3:09 PM
Simply because they have low crowds?

They are the finest example of a well-run club. They have consistently performed well on a small budget. God forgive them for not wanting to break the bank and jeopardise their club's future. Smart, sensible finance management has led them as far as they can go. They should be respected, not despised.

Regardless if you think being one of the only clubs not to even bother with a promotions officer, playing home games at a rugby training pitch and printing out programmes on an inkjet with pathetic fillers like soduku, the azerbaijani league table and a premiership-centred quiz copied out from an old issue of Shoot! is running a club well, we're not talking about now. We're talking about our super-de-dooper crowd pleasing super-league. Reconstituting the leagues into one will be based on potential, not positions. UCD have nothing to offer anyone in terms of match-day experience, beyond charging €5 for a burger because there aren't enough people there to break even at a reasonable price.

pineapple stu
29/06/2008, 3:10 PM
Regardless if you think being one of the only clubs not to even bother with a promotions officer, playing home games at a rugby training pitch and printing out programmes on an inkjet with pathetic fillers like soduku, the azerbaijani league table and a premiership-centred quiz copied out from an old issue of Shoot! is running a club well, we're not talking about now. We're talking about our super-de-dooper crowd pleasing super-league. Reconstituting the leagues into one will be based on potential, not positions. UCD have nothing to offer anyone in terms of match-day experience, beyond charging €5 for a burger because there aren't enough people there to break even at a reasonable price.
Dear God, there is so much there that shows you haven't a balls notion what you're on about. Seriously, I'd shut up if I were you. You're an embarrassment to the league.

jebus
29/06/2008, 3:17 PM
Aren't uefa going to opposse this unless the two national teams merge? Also the two Football associations would have to merge which could result in a few suits losing their jobs. I'm not sure if this is true but if it is it means an ail is not gonna happen any time soon

That's true, but don't go throwing out any more red herrings now :rolleyes:

I'd love to know how many years you think it will take for an AIL to improve in standard for it to overtake Greece, Belgium or Scotland for their 2 place European Cup spot. At the moment we are ranked in 34th position, behind the likes of Bosnia and Liechtenstein, and have the likes of Sweden and Finland to contend with before we can catch Israel or Switzerland for that one extra Uefa cup spot, nevermind to say the European Cup spot. As Stu said* the loss of European positions is big minus against the formation of this league.

Link for the co-efficient table up until 2007 (http://europeancups.altervista.org/rankings/country%20ranking%202007.htm), it has us ranked 35th but I believe we have gone ahead of mighty Moldova in the table

* Funny how we tend to agree in most threads we've posted in bar the Lisbon Treaty. I've found quite and divide among myself and my friends (really is 50/50) for and aginst that blasted thing. This is of course off topic nonsense and the last I'll say on the matter in this thread :)

GavinZac
29/06/2008, 3:18 PM
Dear God, there is so much there that shows you haven't a balls notion what you're on about. Seriously, I'd shut up if I were you. You're an embarrassment to the league.

*bulls notion. If you can't get that right... go on, point out where I'm wrong. Do I need to scan up that fantastic feature on the Bulgarian second division?

pineapple stu
29/06/2008, 3:18 PM
* Funny how we tend to agree in most threads we've posted in bar the Lisbon Treaty. I've found quite and divide among myself and my friends (really is 50/50) for and aginst that blasted thing. This is of course off topic nonsense and the last I'll say on the matter in this thread :)
It's because you're a mod now. Try voting in the Lisbon Treaty again (I'll give it a year or so). You'll find you'll vote No. Joined us...

pineapple stu
29/06/2008, 3:23 PM
*bulls notion. If you can't get that right... go on, point out where I'm wrong. Do I need to scan up that fantastic feature on the Bulgarian second division?
If you want; most people with an interest in general football have found it an interesting column. Fortunately, I don't need to consider your opinion because you've long since shown yourself a completel twit. If you want to highlight a particular problem with it, fire away.

On your other tripe, we have a CPO, if Sudoku is a "pathetic page filler", then you've probably got half the western world not thinking you're an idiot (do I need to point out the quiz question in your programme which asked for the utterly pointless link between Cork City and the 1988 Eurovision? And this after I'd been sold a programme for a Kilkenny game last year first, and then an old UCD game - professional stuff), and chipper vans at closed shop events like sports games tend to charge more. Things cost more money up in Dublin partly because we earn more than you and I challenge you to find that issue of Shoot (RIP) that you're talking about.

jebus
29/06/2008, 3:26 PM

Honestly, not trying to gang up, but I quite like fanzines that have random features like that