PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Colombia - Thursday, 29th May 2008 - Friendly - Craven Cottage

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Seagull-4-life
29/05/2008, 5:29 PM
Is the team confirmed yet lads???

Razors left peg
29/05/2008, 5:35 PM
Just said on Sky Sports News that Duffer is out because of illness or something

Seagull-4-life
29/05/2008, 5:41 PM
Just said on Sky Sports News is out because of illness or something

Who's out???

Razors left peg
29/05/2008, 5:46 PM
Who's out???

sorry typed too quickly, edited now:D

kingdomkerry
29/05/2008, 5:51 PM
Yeah duff out Keogh in. Cinacitus or something!

Razors left peg
29/05/2008, 5:51 PM
Keogh in for Duff, hope Keogh isnt put on the wing... maybe Doyle to right wing instead?

EalingGreen
29/05/2008, 5:52 PM
Will you ever **** off Ealing! Were here discussing the game and you come on with your usual crap. This time giving out that we call our team Ireland next week eligibility the next week something even more petty. Have you nothing to talk about on "Are we a country"?

I wasn't talking to you, I was replying to Osarusan, who I'm sure will take my post in the light-hearted manner in which it was meant.

Anyhow, I hope my intervention doesn't spoil your enjoyment of the game too much.

Yours,

Too Seriously (Nun)

kingdomkerry
29/05/2008, 6:00 PM
I wasn't talking to you, I was replying to Osarusan, who I'm sure will take my post in the light-hearted manner in which it was meant.

Anyhow, I hope my intervention doesn't spoil your enjoyment of the game too much.

Yours,

Too Seriously (Nun)

It was light hearted, yeah right if you call **** stirring light hearted. You dont fool me boy

geysir
29/05/2008, 6:15 PM
I think I get that creepy feeling too.
As if there is some petty minded voyeur lurking around the place.

eekers
29/05/2008, 6:56 PM
Keogh is been wasted again on the wing tonight. the starting line up is crying out for liam lawrence

Colbert Report
29/05/2008, 7:59 PM
Kiely is far and away our best player today in that first half. We should be down three or four goals at this stage. Miller and Whelan are below average for this level. McGeady looks shockingly bad - every time he gets the ball he is either disposessed or passes it to the wrong team. A very makeshift squad altogether - Keogh actually looks alright at right wing.

Razors left peg
29/05/2008, 8:02 PM
Kiely is far and away our best player today in that first half. We should be down three or four goals at this stage. Miller and Whelan are below average for this level. McGeady looks shockingly bad - every time he gets the ball he is either disposessed or passes it to the wrong team. A very makeshift squad altogether - Keogh actually looks alright at right wing.

are you watchin the same game I am?? he hasnt been amazing but I think he is doing well, his control is excellent.yes he has given the ball away once or twice but he is far from bad

Colbert Report
29/05/2008, 8:04 PM
I'm a big McGeady fan but I've seen nothing good from him tonight. He doesn't look confident on the ball at all. He needs to stop playing bogball up in Scotland and get on with a proper football team where he'll be playing real opposition every week.

Razors left peg
29/05/2008, 8:07 PM
I'm a big McGeady fan but I've seen nothing good from him tonight. He doesn't look confident on the ball at all. He needs to stop playing bogball up in Scotland and get on with a proper football team where he'll be playing real opposition every week.

I just dont see how you could have singled him out in that first half as being bad, couple of times I actually thought he did really well and I was thinking that he was actually one of our better player so far...amazing how peoples views on a game can differ sometimes

Colbert Report
29/05/2008, 8:10 PM
Yeah it is amazing. I haven't seen him take on the Colombian right-back and beat him once. I've seen alot of sloppy passes and poor positioning from him. In fairness he's made two good one-touch passes to the central midfielders from just outside the corner of the box.

Maz
29/05/2008, 8:11 PM
How romantic was that proposal?

Colbert Report
29/05/2008, 8:13 PM
Yer man with the northern accent should have said no, but I'll settle for your sister.

Colbert Report
29/05/2008, 8:16 PM
Great run there by McGeady, but what did he do with it?

irishbaz
29/05/2008, 8:21 PM
just a quick review of the first half great first three minutes then Miller and Whealen look completly outclassed. Awful in fact. John O Shea has the same attitude for Ireland as man u which is he must wake up everyday next to his supermodel girlfriend and thank god he has done so much with such limited ability and poor Andy Keogh was just saying on Tue how lucky he was to be playing as a striker that will teach him he looks lost on the wing.

tricky_colour
29/05/2008, 8:40 PM
Elvis is on :D

tricky_colour
29/05/2008, 8:43 PM
Lets put on Liam's brother, Glenn Millar :D

rambler14
29/05/2008, 8:44 PM
I'd like to see Stephen McPhail come on for Glenn Whelan and Daryl Murphy to come on for Kevin Doyle.

One substitution at least from Trappatoni.

Razors left peg
29/05/2008, 9:05 PM
well Im delighted after that,wasnt the greatest ever performance. we rode our luck a bit in first half but in second half we looked very solid and for once I was totally convinced we were going be able to hold onto the one goal lead. once we get our first choice center midfield back I think it will add hugely to us because Miller and Whelan were totally outclassed, but on the plus side I thought Delaney was very good.

irishbaz
29/05/2008, 9:06 PM
Where do you start the good points were

Keily looked great, Dunne and Mc Shane played well, Mc Geady looked good and Doyle and Keane looked fine good work rate but no service resulting in Keane playing in midfield in the second half

Whealen and Miller were poor good work rate but you see that in a pub team, Keogh was lost all match (he is a striker) O shea poor. I would have liked to see some more subs. Its a win but not a convincing one. We need somemore bottle in midfield, natual wingers and players playing in there best positions

Colbert Report
29/05/2008, 9:12 PM
I agree with everything you just wrote. McGeady was very poor in the first half but came back and was much better in the second, helping out Delaney.

Miller and Whelan are no more than fringe players at best. The game is won and lost in the middle of the park and we were very very lucky tonight. Kiely was outstanding, he should be our first choice 'keeper from now on if Given has more fitness problems.

finnpark
29/05/2008, 9:12 PM
The pitch is like Landsdowne, tight and small. Suits us. Croke Park is wide and open and is disastrous for us. We should not be playing any matches there. The pitch makes a huge difference eg Chelsea have never won at Villa Park.

Defense did well. Midfield was terrible. Strikers were terrible, especially Keane who really looks like he has been on the beer again.

We were too attacking in 1st half and midfield didn't sit deep enough.

Wangball
29/05/2008, 9:13 PM
I would of liked to have seen Scannell thrown on towards the end to run at the Colombians, and maybe a few other substitutions, apart from that there can't be many complaints except for Jim Beglin...."A poor error"?! Whats that all about

Noelys Guitar
29/05/2008, 9:14 PM
I thought O'Shea played well. Always looked comfortable. Kiely played a 9/10. Very impressed with Robbie Keane's attitude and play. McGeady played well. Dunne showed his class especially with that clearance off the line. Delaney looks like he is destined to play with a premiership side.

Slaney
29/05/2008, 9:16 PM
Kiely was outstanding like, and McShane and Dunne had good games.

Im concerned about the lack of urgency in our play. In fact, thats why I believe we can't get the best out of McGeady. I hope to see both him and Duffer on the wings for the qualifiers but we need to get the ball to them quickly so they can use their pace. McGeady is Celtic's focal point, whoever has the ball the first thing they do is give it to Aiden. We need to start doing this too.

Miller had a decent enough game but Whelan was way out of his depth.

theworm2345
29/05/2008, 9:17 PM
**** me, I got in as injury time started to find my stream hadn't been recording :mad::mad:
I managed to cap the analysis though

eekers
29/05/2008, 9:17 PM
The pitch is like Landsdowne, tight and small. Suits us. Croke Park is wide and open and is disastrous for us. We should not be playing any matches there. The pitch makes a huge difference eg Chelsea have never won at Villa Park.

Defense did well. Midfield was terrible. Strikers were terrible, especially Keane who really looks like he has been on the beer again.

We were too attacking in 1st half and midfield didn't sit deep enough.

agree with the pitch thing.
you cant say the defence did well - they were at see in the first half and were saved by kiely again and again. whelan and miller were a joke. and keane and doyle got no service. and the keane remark is just stupid and petty (are you brian kerr in disguise?)

irishbaz
29/05/2008, 9:20 PM
We were outplayed for most of the match and as such its a good result, mc shane played much better and im happy he got that chance, The core of the team is there mc geady has to play but can play right or left side of midfield our team effectivly played 4-5-1 in the second half of a friendly to preserve a 1-0 win. The 2 reids have to start and we need Finnan back- would liked to have seen more of Wes I hear good things about him

Maroon 7
29/05/2008, 9:21 PM
Kiely was brilliant. A worthy challenger to Shay.

Defence did well. Conceded a few chances in the first half but generally looked a lot more organised than under Stan.

Central midfield was almost non-existant. Completely outplayed. Keogh was a bit lost out wide. McGeady by far the pick of midfield. Should have had a penalty.

Keane and Doyle in and out of the game. To be fair they weren't getting great service.

irishfan86
29/05/2008, 9:24 PM
My review:

Kiely- top class. Fantastic double save at the end of the first half.

O'Shea- did what was expected of him, didn't get forward enough though.

Dunne- A couple of good clearances.

McShane- Did what was necessary, good for him to put in a decent performance considering his poor run of form.

Delaney- Again solid performance, but didn't get forward enough.

The defense overall need some work- there were a few communication problems that would have led to a goal against better opposition.

Keogh- Full of running, but not a winger.

Miller- Good tackle/setup for Robbie for the goal. Apart from that predictably anonymous.

Whelan- Did alright in the holding role, but didn't show for the ball enough.

McGeady- Some good runs, but very little to show for it (no end product).

Robbie- Good for him to bag a goal, but didn't get enough service.

Doyle- Not enough service to rate.

Subs not on long enough to evaluate.

Wangball
29/05/2008, 9:25 PM
Kiely showed what exactly we were missing last year when we had shams like Henderson in goal, he's a fantastic keeper and importantly he has a great attitude

Noelys Guitar
I thought the first half free kick showed great imagination and should never have been blown up for off-side. Straight from the Tardelli locker. Delaney timed his run perfectly.

tricky_colour
**** me, I got in as injury time started to find my stream hadn't been recording :mad::mad:

I've got it recorded from about 36 minutes onwards off sopcast. I only have 20kbs upstream though.

Irish_Praha
29/05/2008, 9:27 PM
Another iffy performance. Solid if not spectacular. The MF pairing of Miller and Whelan is are uncreative and also couldn't hold onto the ball to give the defence a breather. Like was mentioned after the last game they are probably too similar and don't compliment eachother so well. I would have liked to have seen Garvan come on for Whelan, only because a Whelan-Garvan pairing would have been too inexperienced.

As a result of this poor pairing we were overun in MF and had to defend for large spells of the game. Some of the passing from the Colombians was excellent. When watching this game I couldn't help but think of when we got pasted 4-0 by Holland a few years ago. I have no doubth that if this was a Staunton team we would have shipped 2 or 3 goals but apart from a few scary moments we defended well. That for me was a sign that Trap is starting to but his stamp on the team and that the players have an idea of what they are supposed to be doing. Again not a great game but acceptable for now. I just hope we start creating more chances when the likes of the two Reids and Duff are available. Or maybe Trap just wants to concentrate on making us solid and unbeatable and hope that we create the odd chance?
Boring football with improved results. I would accept it if it works.

theworm2345
29/05/2008, 9:32 PM
I've got it recorded from about 36 minutes onwards off sopcast. I only have 20kbs upstream though.
Don't worry about it, thanks for the offer though

gilberto_eire
29/05/2008, 9:40 PM

I went to tape it and had it on the right channel as far as i could see, got home to realise i had it on a blank channel, GUTTED!!....... never have highlights either with is a ****er!!:(

Trickey how can you record from Sopcast?

eekers
29/05/2008, 9:48 PM
Interesting (or maybe not) that this is our best friendly result in 3 years (1-0 v portugal) according to fifa ranking points.

tricky_colour
29/05/2008, 9:53 PM
I went to tape it and had it on the right channel as far as i could see, got home to realise i had it on a blank channel, GUTTED!!....... never have highlights either with is a ****er!!:(

There is a record button on it, its the red button in the play window.
However it depends how it is launched, if it is launched in a internet explorer window you cannot access that button, you have to run it so it does not go through a browser, just stand alone.
For example I was watching from here first
http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/thu29.5/Colombia_Ireland.html
But I could not record that so I changed to this link
sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/48608
Which is the same thing, but it launches directly into sopcast and you then
have the record button.
It was a pretty poor game to watch, you didn't miss much, at one poiint it catches one of Traps coaching
staff stifling a yawn!

irishultra
29/05/2008, 9:53 PM
I don't know what irishbaz was talking about. O'Shea looked really assured. McShane was immense. Delaney was solid(but his distrubtion is poor) In fact Dunne looked the most nervous and out of sorts.

Whelan is not good enough. So so limited its not funny. He will be destroyed in the EPL next season. I haven't seen much of him grant it, but you just know when a player just doesn't have anything. Miller's problem is not that he isn't a decent passer, its just he's not very good at anything else. His positional sense is horrific. He doesn't come to get the ball, and just generally doesn't inspire confidence.

I love what Il Trap is doing, but he was wrong not to put Garvan on. Ireland were crying out for someone like him to get on the ball and get the game going.

McGeady was quite good, but his crossing wasn't upto much. I think though by the time September rolls around he will be on top form.

I thought Doyle was good, but he looks a half a yard(cliché but he actually does) off the pace. Keane at times looked promising in his ''new'' position, but went missing for most of the game.

We were battered in the first half. But we won. It in my opinion is progress. I am actually optimistic beacause I really think the Trapattoni factor is working.

I was just sad tonight because we looked like a team like Scotland, when I honestly believe we have the ability to play nice football like the game against Wales. In fact out of all the teams in the British Isles I think we have got the players to play slow tempo, with good build up play.

theworm2345
29/05/2008, 9:54 PM

I use WMR 11

eekers
29/05/2008, 9:55 PM

As long as you have traps post match interview were he takes about John Delaney playing left back you are alright.

Razors left peg
29/05/2008, 9:59 PM
Whelan was shocking. I know it's never in vogue to criticise newcomers but if John O Shea played a game like that this thread would be flooded with "O SHEA OUT" comments. I couldn't see one positive thing he did with the ball, he gave away possession time and time again, he didnt tackle well, he didnt pass well, he didnt mark his man well. He had a nightmare, he wasn't just poor he was a liability for the side.

Miller was better, but still as per usual with him typically average.

Elsewhere I was mostly impressed. McShane had a solid game, it's always a good sign when you don't really notice that Dunne was playing. I'm warming to Delaney, there's options with Kilbane or hopefully Finnan. But I think he'd cope in the important matches at left back.
Kiely was supurb. Keane and Doyle generally good, McGeady got into it in the second half. Keogh? I like Keogh, he's a hard worker, not really a winger. I think wes would have been a better option there than Keogh. But he still had a decent game but is too sloppy to play there for a key match.

Overall the main problem for me is centre midfield which yeah, is painfully obvious. Miller needs to be on the bench and Whelan booted off the squad. Here's hoping both Reids are fit and Ireland comes back.
Also what was Ronnie talking about Carsley being gone? :eek:

I have to say I agree with all of this... good post

pineapple stu
29/05/2008, 10:00 PM
Chelsea have never won at Villa Park.
14 times, in fact (http://www.chelsea-mad.co.uk/footydb/loadhed.asp?teama=132&teamb=31). Though not since 1999, which was in fact their fourth win in a row there.

Kiely saved us tonight; some great saves. Didn't do much after the goal (which was a bit lucky, though some nice play to create the chance) and one dangerous cross a minute later.

End of season friendly, long way to go, players out, etc, etc, but I won't be getting my hopes up after watching the game.

Irish_Praha
29/05/2008, 10:08 PM
Loads of new posts appeared in the time it took me to write my last reply.:eek: So it's good to see that there is a general opinion that the biggest problem with tonights game was a poor CMF pairing resulting in Colombia having too much of the ball to come and attack and also limiting our attack to hoofing the ball out from defence again.
Delaney and McShane had decent games which sweeps our defence problems under the carpet until the next game at least. However, these players could really be found out when the competitive games start. Fingers crossed that they develop into solid international-class players, neither will be world-class.
What's really interesting for me, if the defence holds steady, is how we will play when all MF players are available.
Carsley has his knockers on here but he would have shored up the MF tonight if he played instead of Whelan. Anyway, from Reid x 2, Carsley, Ireland we can surely find a paring that would work better than tonight. Will Trap employ a style where we will create more chances or will he use the more solid CM pairing to make us more difficult to beat. Pity we have to wait until August to find out.:(

beepbeep
29/05/2008, 10:12 PM
hear traps post match interview?? AHH i had to have. 'John Delaney at the back'

theworm2345
29/05/2008, 10:12 PM
As long as you have traps post match interview were he takes about John Delaney playing left back you are alright.
Nope :o