Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Colombia - Thursday, 29th May 2008 - Friendly - Craven Cottage

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts

Ireland v Columbia

Seems like we are gonna have Whelan and Miller again in midfield and McShane in defense

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0527/ireland1.html
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    hello all I thought these games were to look at new talent I think the one thing everyone on this site will agree is that Miller is poor and not up to international class, Whealen yip I can understand, Delaney again but miller, mc Shane, hunt, and not being funny but I know how Robbie Keane and Kevin Doyle even Damian Duff play what about Andy Keogh, Shane long, Sean Scannell, Owen Garven these guys need to be tested in the international arena. The first team almost picks itself but with such a crop of young talent we need to see what we have I have heard great things about our young players (hungry with something to prove) some of the older squad members see to have lost that fire they just turn up feel there position is nailed on and as a result treat it like a jolly up. I would love Trap to give these young lads a go as we have some talent there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I just have a problem with keeping Miller in the team.

Delighted to see McGeady in action. I really can't wait to see how him and Duff operate. Hopefully he will leave McGeady out left, and keep Duff on the right.

I really wanted to see Garvan in that team. When I watched him against the England U-21's, he looked more composed than anything England had in midfield. Now imagine him playing with players like Duff and McGeady!!!!! This is what we need. I keep seeing and saying this, but I really want the midfield three to consist of the two Reids and Garvan(if S.Ireland doesn't come back)

If Keane and Doyle can show what they showed against Wales in the last game, then we will be doing well.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    -----------------Kiely------------------
    O'Shea-----McShane-----Dunne-----Delaney
    McGeady---Miller---------Whelan------Duff
    ------------Keane--------Doyle-----------

Not a bad team considering we don't have any of our top three central midfielders available. (Reid, Reid, and Carsley). Hopefully in time O'Shea can move into the middle to make room for Finnan. Maybe O'Shea can stay at right back and Finnan can play left back, get rid of Delaney and McShane and replace McShane with Andy O'Brien.

This is good - he's giving McShane another chance to prove himself rather than just banish him from the team altogether. I'd much rather him have his chance in this, a meaningless friendly, much better than in a real match against the likes of Berbatov or Del Piero.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Exactly pair the young lads up with some experienced players Garven, A Reid, S Reid, Duff and Mc Geady is some midfield, creative, attacking and a nice blend of experience and youth. Even without Ireland it doesnt look half bad!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    -----------------Kiely------------------
    O'Shea-----McShane-----Dunne-----Delaney
    McGeady---Miller---------Whelan------Duff
    ------------Keane--------Doyle-----------

Not a bad team considering we don't have any of our top three central midfielders available. (Reid, Reid, and Carsley). Hopefully in time O'Shea can move into the middle to make room for Finnan. Maybe O'Shea can stay at right back and Finnan can play left back, get rid of Delaney and McShane and replace McShane with Andy O'Brien.

This is good - he's giving McShane another chance to prove himself rather than just banish him from the team altogether. I'd much rather him have his chance in this, a meaningless friendly, much better than in a real match against the likes of Berbatov or Del Piero.
    Finnan's crossing ability would be wasted on the left and he's probably our best crosser of the ball.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I completely agree. The problem is that bar Kilbane we don't have anyone who can play left-back. Don't say Ian Harte. Finnan is our best right back but he's also our best left back. This is why Delaney is getting the start tomorrow - Trap wants to see if he can trust him in a real competitive match, so he doesn't have to waste Finnan as a left back.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    The difficulty in these games is that there is no point in just trying 11 new players. The ideal is to try 1/2 in each unit (Defense, Midfield, attack). Otherwise it is hard to assess the new players ability. However if you do that you need to make sure you use the places available with the most deserving players. I'd like to see Keane and Keogh or Keane and Murphy up front, even Doyle/Keogh would be good.

Midfield is difficult given injuries to both Reids & Carsley so there is no trustworthy player to put Garvan alongside.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I would be thinking our best team at the mo would be

Given

Finnan Dunne A Brien/O Shea Delaney

S Reid

Duff Garvan A Reid Mc Geady

Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Exactly the formation and team I want. Except McShane still in reckoning.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree with you Cavan fan but we did put Whelan and Miller as a central pair I would have been as happy with Garven and Whelan as I feel Miller brings nothing even if he is classed as an experienced player
    Last edited by irishbaz; 27/05/2008 at 9:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Trap said he was'nt going to change the team too much and he's right. But I would of prefered to see how John O'Shea got on with Dunne centre back.

Is Kelly injured or something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishbaz View Post
    I think the one thing everyone on this site will agree is that Miller is poor and not up to international class
    While I believe Miller is fairly average, Brady has repeatedly praised Miller during his time as a pundit.

Brady's fandom of Miller means he'll be a well used squad player in this coming campaign for better or worse (at least it's not Alan O'Brien this time!).

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My wife who knows nothing about football had a conversation about Liam Miller it went Her "in friendlies do they let anybody play?" me "what are you talking about love they put out the best team they can" Her "and he" pointing at the t.v and indeed mr miller "is in your team then!!!" me "yes love" Her "oh" me "oh what??" Her "isnt he supposed to pass to your players?" end of chat

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    First trap has to get his senior players comfortable playing his system before he starts throwing in new players everywhere. i believe he said something about there being no such thing as friendlies at international level. and i think he tries to play his best eleven at all times. he'll have young players in the squad no doubt and if they impress in training they'll get their chance. people are really clutching at straws if they think someone like scannell can play senior international level yet. he's 17, very raw and inexperienced.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Trap knows what he's doing. His comment about ensuring McGeady was aware exactly how the system worked before he played just speaks volumes for his approach, all the details are covered, everyone knows their role. A big change from when Stan was in charge where it was said several times that players were not told what to do.

If he wants another look at McShane or Miller that's fine. Miller has a role to play, and it will be interesting if he plays better on Thurs, in fact it will be interesting to see if there is improvement over the last performance. Miller is a talented player but he doesn't impose himslef on games which is his major flaw, but he is a good footballer. Trap sees his potential and wants to see if he can bring it out of him.

Given our lack of depth it is humorous how everyone here always wants to throw out players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I think Miller is a good player, but he has terrible vision, but I do agree we can't just casually throw players out of the team if they don't play that well.

+1 with your first paragraph.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    I hope to see Scannell instead of McGeady (who I don't rate at all, hes **** more times than not for Ireland and, shockingly for an Ireland fan, I don't watch Celtic) and Potter or Rowlands instead of Miller.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    I hope to see Scannell instead of McGeady (who I don't rate at all, hes **** more times than not for Ireland and, shockingly for an Ireland fan, I don't watch Celtic) and Potter or Rowlands instead of Miller.
    Here we go again, let's throw out the SPL player of the year, he's utter sh1te. Does it never occur to you that the problem is not with the player but with the team and the role he is asked to play? Ot that it takes time to settle in at international level. Nah he's played a handful of games and clearly isn't as good as Cryuff or Maradona so let's try Scannell now, at this rate we'll be playing U-12s in 6 months.

McGeady is going to be a fantastic player, he has the potential to be much much better than Duff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    McGeady is probably our most talented player. If he is not up to it, we are ****ed.

*By the way I do think he's up for it. I count 9 players from our team who are 'up to it''

They are:
    S.REID
    A.REID
    R.KEANE
    DUNNE
    GIVEN
    MCGEADY
    DUFF
    and
    Ireland
    Finnan
    (if they return)

I still have hopes for Doyle. His goal against Slovakia show he has quality, but I'm talking about players at this moment I would be happy calling Ireland players. Obviously not all of them are world class, or even any of them, but is Josip Simunic world class? Is Ivan Klasnic better than Robbie Keane? Hell no. But they are pivotal players for a Croatian team doing well.

This is why I don't buy the argument, Ireland have ''no world class players''.........what is a world class player? Based on performance in the last season I would say Ireland have two world class players(Dunne and Keane), a wonderkid(McGeady), an intelligent midfield ball carrier when played in the middle(Ireland), a tubby guy with terrific technique and vision(A.Reid), a consistent stalwart(Kilbane) etc. etc.

What I'm trying to say is we should have the ingredients to do well. A team doesn't need world class players, but it does need good players. We have this. N.Ireland haven't got near the standard we have. In fact, the difference in my opinion would be like comparing Ireland to England. But look what they did with less quality player. Not so much their points tally, but look at their displays against teams like Spain. Hell even Scotland don't have the same quality, but probably a bit more quantity.

What we need is players(like Croatia) who compliment each other well. So far, we have seen they don't, but can Trap change this? Maby, maby not. We will have to see.
    Last edited by irishultra; 28/05/2008 at 3:14 AM.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast