PDA

View Full Version : eL Club on the brink of going bust

Pages : [1] 2 3

The Man Himself
09/05/2008, 11:45 AM
was on the local news this morning that if they dont get a big investment within the next 3 weeks they will go out of buissness, they are also appealing to the public to get along to the rsc tonight to support the club,
it would be a great shame if this happens,
anyone any ideas that we can put forward to the club in support of them staying in league football?

5ForKeeps
09/05/2008, 11:52 AM
was on the local news this morning that if they dont get a big investment within the next 3 weeks they will go out of buissness, they are also appealing to the public to get along to the rsc tonight to support the club,
anyone any ideas that we can put forward to the club in support of them staying in league football?

Was it on WLR or BEAT? Sad news hope that the Blues get a good crowd tonight, where is David Flynn in Waterford's time of need? He is the only in Waterford that can do something i feel.

sadloserkid
09/05/2008, 11:58 AM
While I really hope that Waterford will be ok I have to ask who paid for the stand if they're in such money trouble?

The Man Himself
09/05/2008, 11:59 AM
it was on wlr billy mccarthy show,
and as for david flynn, he prob have more money then mick wallace but would rather spend it going to old trafford,
you lot have a great man in mick wallace, lucky sods.

5ForKeeps
09/05/2008, 11:59 AM
Think it was partly funded jointly by the FAI and the National Lottery grants they were giving out to clubs.

jebus
09/05/2008, 12:01 PM
By Bluebeards....beard.....that would be bad news for the league, I have faith in the FAI pulling an investor out of a hat though, I mean the Limerick roadshow is still on the tracks so how bad can it be down in Waterford?

5ForKeeps
09/05/2008, 12:01 PM
it was on wlr billy mccarthy show,
and as for david flynn, he prob have more money then mick wallace but would rather spend it going to old trafford,
you lot have a great man in mick wallace, lucky sods.

We do :D, there was rumours that he was going to invest in Waterford United a good few years back but his dream was to get Wexford a senior football team into the Eircom League. Who actually owns Waterford now The Man Himself, i know Ger O'Brien was the last person that i recall owning them but he sold up didn't he?

The Man Himself
09/05/2008, 12:02 PM
While I really hope that Waterford will be ok I have to ask who paid for the stand if they're in such money trouble?

the stand was paid for by goverment grants and the waterford city council,
waterford united didnt have to chip in a cent towards anything in the rsc and never did, thats why i cannot understand why they are so broke.

Salmon Coloured
09/05/2008, 12:02 PM

That was the first thing that crossed my mind. When I was there recently i had to ask why that stand was built in the first place. Anyway I hope they make it.

sadloserkid
09/05/2008, 12:05 PM
the stand was paid for by goverment grants and the waterford city council,
waterford united didnt have to chip in a cent towards anything in the rsc and never did, thats why i cannot understand why they are so broke.

Cheers for that info. As you've pointed out that still leaves the question of where this debt has come from.

kingdom hoop
09/05/2008, 12:10 PM

Try asking some local businessmen who've made it big?

5ForKeeps
09/05/2008, 12:11 PM
Try asking some local businessmen who've made it big?

They tried it with David Flynn but he pulled out in the past as far as i am been told by Blues fans here in work.

EalingGreen
09/05/2008, 12:19 PM
Sad news if it happens. :(

On a point of information, are Waterford full-time or part-time?

And does anyone know whether they were a candidate for inclusion in Platinum's proposed 12 team All Ireland League? If so, any such collapse would be a bit embarrassing, to say the least.

micls
09/05/2008, 12:21 PM
Sad news if it happens. :(

On a point of information, are Waterford full-time or part-time?

And does anyone know whether they were a candidate for inclusion in Platinum's proposed 12 team All Ireland League? If so, any such collapse would be a bit embarrassing, to say the least.

Part time and I doubt it

oldyouth
09/05/2008, 12:27 PM
This can't be allowed to happen. The LOI needs a good geographical spread and especially in GAA strongholds. Let us know what we can do to support

finnpark
09/05/2008, 12:30 PM

Turn amateur?

I mean there is not much difference between amateur and part time anyway.

5ForKeeps
09/05/2008, 12:32 PM
This can't be allowed to happen. The LOI needs a good geographical spread and especially in GAA strongholds. Let us know what we can do to support

Good idea Old Youth, will one of us put this on the WYSFC site leave message section or even in the forum?

Lionel Ritchie
09/05/2008, 12:36 PM
Part time and I doubt it

You'd never know ...apparently platinum had penciled in Limerick as a participant. :eek:

Those of us who support Limerick will know I'm not putting us down when I say that the very notion brings to my mind nothing so such as an ailing Hitler in his bunker, mid april '45, demanding counter attacks on all fronts from armies that no longer exist.

Anyway, I hope this isn't true about Waterford. They're always good craic. If things get really tight maybe we can loan them a set of jerseys.;)

oldyouth
09/05/2008, 12:41 PM
Good idea Old Youth, will one of us put this on the WYSFC site leave message section or even in the forum?

Can the Waterford lads get an announcement out on the tannoy tonight. There will be 100's of us 'pinkies' there and let us know about the situation and what we can do. It is in our interest to make sure we have a local derby team to play

bigmac
09/05/2008, 12:41 PM
When I was there recently i had to ask why that stand was built in the first place.

Part of the FAI centres of excellence or whatever it's called - basically was built so that underage internationals could be played there and to bring the capacity over 3000 - that's a magic number for something iirc.

noby
09/05/2008, 12:43 PM
The MC are obviously doing a good tight-rope walk, and with our limited budget this sort of scenario is never too far away. Hopefully a run of results, and constantly top three in the league, along with the new stand, might bring a few more supporters out of the woodwork.
My fear is that we've had these kind of reports around the same time over the last few seasons. For the casual on-looker it might seem like the boy who cried wolf.

gael353
09/05/2008, 1:12 PM
The head of the FAI and now the sports minister both being from waterford? they'll be grand expect a new investor soon.

Longfordian
09/05/2008, 1:13 PM
Enter the Rod and his band of merry men.

pól-dcfc
09/05/2008, 1:24 PM
Get the buckets out tonight for a collection. The good will Derry recieved from other LoI fans was unbelievable. Can a paypal account be set up so people can donate online?

I'm skint at the minute, but next week I should have a bit of cash floating around that I'd gladly give to Waterford. Only about £5 or £10 loike, but if everyone on here contributed a few quid it would make up a quite substantial amount. Good luck Waterford.

blobbyblob
09/05/2008, 1:38 PM
To be honest, I think this is a long term problem that needs a long term solution. Collections and good will gestures are fine but it only plugs a temporary hole in the dam.

The Man Himself
09/05/2008, 1:40 PM
Get the buckets out tonight for a collection. The good will Derry recieved from other LoI fans was unbelievable. Can a paypal account be set up so people can donate online?

I'm skint at the minute, but next week I should have a bit of cash floating around that I'd gladly give to Waterford. Only about £5 or £10 loike, but if everyone on here contributed a few quid it would make up a quite substantial amount. Good luck Waterford.

great to here theres still a few good men about,
good man yourself.

eelmonster
09/05/2008, 1:47 PM
I take it Dunphy's cheque bounced ...

Youths4Ever
09/05/2008, 2:00 PM
To be honest, I think this is a long term problem that needs a long term solution. Collections and good will gestures are fine but it only plugs a temporary hole in the dam.

true but temporary solutions can make time for long term plans

pól-dcfc
09/05/2008, 3:45 PM
true but temporary solutions can make time for long term plans

Exactly. If fans can buy the club a few more months, maybe something can be sorted out. No one wants a club with all that history to go bust.

The Man Himself
09/05/2008, 5:30 PM
Exactly. If fans can buy the club a few more months, maybe something can be sorted out. No one wants a club with all that history to go bust.

Exactly.

amjl
09/05/2008, 5:34 PM
Exactly. If fans can buy the club a few more months, maybe something can be sorted out. No one wants a club to go bust.

Its happening all over again!!!! I hope to God we dont lose another team from the south east. It would be disasterous.
I can understand why we went out of the league but I would not ahave thought Waterford would be in this position.
The question is, If they've had to put nothing into the RSC or its new stand, What has the money been spent on?

RedRebel32
09/05/2008, 5:39 PM
it would be a disaster to lose waterford,somethign really needs to be done about this.could you approach the council again,a football club is a very important part of any community and waterford is no different.perhaps fundraising could be arranged across the city?in work places etc

i hope everything works out, not an option to lose the club:(

John83
09/05/2008, 5:40 PM
So, how's that wage cap coming?

blobbyblob
09/05/2008, 6:06 PM
Its happening all over again!!!! I hope to God we dont lose another team from the south east. It would be disasterous.
I can understand why we went out of the league but I would not ahave thought Waterford would be in this position.
The question is, If they've had to put nothing into the RSC or its new stand, What has the money been spent on?

What money? Its been widely accepted that Waterford Utd have been operating on very tight margins for a long time. Fund raising initiatives have been relentless by the likes of Jim O'Neill & Co. I suppose a killer for the city is the fact that there is a high concentration of highly successful clubs from different codes competing for a relatively small pool of cash. As Waterford are the semi-pro outfit they are going to suffer the most.

Somethings gotta give.

The Man Himself
09/05/2008, 6:11 PM
i can see the 7 dublin based players getting their marching orders fairly soon as they take up most of the income, an all local team aint far off,
hope they get rid of cronin aswell as hes not a very popular man in waterford and replace him with a local man, someone like alfie hale or johnny matthews.

Blue-Army
09/05/2008, 10:47 PM
It said in the local paper that unless there's a drastic turnaround the club may not continue. The club is only getting €2000-3000 a game from gate receipts and our costs are about €10000 a week

The aim is to raise €50,000 ASAP.

Blue-Army
09/05/2008, 10:48 PM
I take it Dunphy's cheque bounced ...
Yeah I heard tonight that he still hasn't paid up. Don't quote this though.

oldyouth
09/05/2008, 11:24 PM
At the game tonight but I'll talk about that elsewhere. Met one of your committee people and it's (hopefully) not as bad as it seems. A lot of hard is work going in on a week by week basis to make sure all the bills are paid, which they are, but it needs to be put on a more solid foundation. It's a money in, money out operation with no reserves being built up for proper planning. Something being sorted by the end of the month

Hope it works out for you

The Man Himself
10/05/2008, 11:01 AM
good crowd turned out last night and hopefully they return again,
won 1-0 but a balls of a game,
new stand is top class.

noby
10/05/2008, 12:29 PM
Well done to John for his contribution to this thread.

blue til i die
10/05/2008, 2:14 PM
to run the club is about 7000-8000 per week. IF we only take in €10,000 at a home match, we're then struggling from the start. That 10,000 then has to last for 2 weeks until the next home match.

gotaroundbetter
10/05/2008, 4:39 PM
It wouldn't make much sense to get rid of Cronin cos then they will have to pay off his contract whilst paying another manager aswell. Hardly what your club need is an extra expense like that.

If any collection system is organised I'll happily donate what i can

Just wondering if it could be sorted officially here, would anyone be interested in a copy of "blue white and dynamite" posted free 10e something back in return, for any concerned EL supporters wishing to help Waterford united.

A face
10/05/2008, 4:47 PM
Just wondering if it could be sorted officially here, would anyone be interested in a copy of "blue white and dynamite" posted free 10e something back in return, for any concerned EL supporters wishing to help Waterford united.

What is Blue White and Dynamite?

gotaroundbetter
10/05/2008, 5:12 PM
What is Blue White and Dynamite?

A collection of stories from waterford suporters, the details of which were posted up by someone else a while back.
leading to a little warning from mod's.
Hopefully it can go in the market place section. thats what I mean by something back in return for the members here who kindly expressed an interest in helping . Further details once an ok is given.

Martinho II
10/05/2008, 5:24 PM
Yeah I heard tonight that he still hasn't paid up. Don't quote this though.

a bit like mcanthony with us as well.. all pr stunts im afraid...

sniffa
10/05/2008, 6:05 PM
Operating a wage cap may well have prevented such a dire situation. Terrible news for the whole league.
After beating the Mons 5-0, a club operating within its means, does it not put the result into perspective. Its similar in a lot of ways to a side like Bray playing against Shelbourne 2+ years ago.

A face
10/05/2008, 6:07 PM
After beating the Mons 5-0, a club operating within its means, does it not put the result into perspective. Its similar in a lot of ways to a side like Bray playing against Shelbourne 2+ years ago.

Not a chance, there is no way you can compare both of them.

Sheridan
10/05/2008, 6:26 PM
Operating a wage cap may well have prevented such a dire situation. Terrible news for the whole league.
After beating the Mons 5-0, a club operating within its means, does it not put the result into perspective.
Not really. Mismanagement versus pointlessness.

stann
10/05/2008, 7:34 PM
It's not an issue of a wage cap, just that income is severely down on last year, much more so than was expected. The projections for the new season were made, and it was thought that a similar playing budget to last season could be supported (it was then one of the lowest in the league remember), and it's turned out over the opening home matches that this wasn't so.
The club are not financially f**ked, or up to their eyes in hock, or anything like that, it's just that this season there's more going out each week than coming in, and rightly nobody at the club is willing to get the club into serious debt to counteract that, as might have happened in previous years.
From what I can gather a moderate enough rise in the attendance figures would go a long way to ease the problems, paying crowds of the order of the Wexford game would be enough for the fundraising to cover the remaining shortfall.

Sniffa, I honestly don't know what kind of perspective you're thinking of there. 5-0 against Mons was a bit of a freak result - we were great on the same night they were shash. They beat Shels 1-0, who then played us off the park in Tolka. What does that do to the perspective?

Longfordian
10/05/2008, 8:06 PM
a bit like mcanthony with us as well.. all pr stunts im afraid...

Anthony McMullen!. McAnthony is the lad involved in Peterborough I think. But your point stands. Dunphy was probably bananas when he agreed that. 10k is a lot of money to pay to a club you don't really care about.