PDA

View Full Version : Trapattoni's first (extended) squad announced!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Erimusred
08/04/2008, 2:34 PM
Announced in 40 man squad for Portugal

Keane remains as captain

Goalkeepers: Shay Given [Newcastle United], Wayne Henderson [Preston North End], Paddy Kenny [Sheffield United], Darren Randolph [Charlton Athletic], Colin Doyle , Joe Murphy [Scunthorpe United].

[B]Defenders: Stephen Kelly , Richard Dunne [Manchester City], Kevin Kilbane [Wigan Athletic], John O'Shea [Manchester United], Joey O'Brien [Bolton Wanderers], Paul McShane [Sunderland], Kevin Foley [Wolverhampton Wanderers], Darren O'Dea [Celtic].

[B]Midfielders: Steven Reid , Liam Miller [Sunderland], Stephen Ireland [Manchester City], Damien Duff [Newcastle United], Aiden McGeady [Celtic], Andy Reid [Sunderland], Lee Carsley [Everton], Darron Gibson [Wolverhampton Wanderers], Stephen Hunt [Reading], Darren Potter [Wolverhampton Wanderers], Owen Garvan [Ipswich Town], Wes Hoolahan [Blackpool], Stephen McPhail [Cardiff City], Martin Rowlands [QPR], Glenn Whelan [Stoke City].

[B]Forwards: Stephen Elliott [Wolverhampton Wanderers], Robbie Keane [Tottenham Hotspur], Kevin Doyle [Reading], Clinton Morrison [Crystal Palace], Shane Long [Reading], Andy Keogh [Wolverhampton Wanderers], Anthony Stokes [Sunderland], Daryl Murphy [Sunderland], Sean Scannell [Crystal Palace], Roy O'Donovan [Sunderland], David Connolly [Sunderland].

ifk101
08/04/2008, 2:37 PM

Keane remains as captain

Do you have a list of the players included in the squad?

dr_peepee
08/04/2008, 2:50 PM
Finally... Some common sense.

Not so much on the Ireland come back, but the size of the first squad... Everyones on the same page going into the quals...Criteria for selction, acceptable behaviour etc....

No one bitching in six months time cos they're being ignored and need a hug..

mypost
08/04/2008, 2:53 PM

Keane remains as captain

No guarantee he'll turn up.

It's good to have a 40-man squad, to cope with his and other withdrawals.

Erimusred
08/04/2008, 2:56 PM
Goalkeepers: Shay Given [Newcastle United], Wayne Henderson [Preston North End], Paddy Kenny [Sheffield United], Darren Randolph [Charlton Athletic], Colin Doyle , Joe Murphy [Scunthorpe United].
[B]Defenders: Stephen Kelly , Richard Dunne [Manchester City], Kevin Kilbane [Wigan Athletic], John O'Shea [Manchester United], Joey O'Brien [Bolton Wanderers], Paul McShane [Sunderland], Kevin Foley [Wolverhampton Wanderers], Darren O'Dea [Celtic].
[B]Midfielders: Steven Reid , Liam Miller [Sunderland], Stephen Ireland [Manchester City], Damien Duff [Newcastle United], Aiden McGeady [Celtic], Andy Reid [Sunderland], Lee Carsley [Everton], Darron Gibson [Wolverhampton Wanderers], Stephen Hunt [Reading], Darren Potter [Wolverhampton Wanderers], Owen Garvan [Ipswich Town], Wes Hoolahan [Blackpool], Stephen McPhail [Cardiff City], Martin Rowlands [QPR], Glenn Whelan [Stoke City].
[B]Forwards: Stephen Elliott [Wolverhampton Wanderers], Robbie Keane [Tottenham Hotspur], Kevin Doyle [Reading], Clinton Morrison [Crystal Palace], Shane Long [Reading], Andy Keogh [Wolverhampton Wanderers], Anthony Stokes [Sunderland], Daryl Murphy [Sunderland], Sean Scannell [Crystal Palace], Roy O'Donovan [Sunderland], David Connolly [Sunderland].

dr_peepee
08/04/2008, 2:57 PM

Theworm just soiled himself!!!

paul_oshea
08/04/2008, 2:58 PM
no andy obrien or steve finnan, id assume this was a clean slate and if they were coming back id think they would have to be there....

gustavo
08/04/2008, 2:59 PM

Keane remains as captain

Source?

Erimusred
08/04/2008, 3:00 PM
id imagine the rejection stories from the weekend were true.

Sad that they cant be bothered anymore.

At least clint is back:):):)

gustavo
08/04/2008, 3:00 PM
Good to see Clinton back in the fold , Weird having nearly as many goalies as defenders

Erimusred
08/04/2008, 3:02 PM
Source?

Liam Brady

Block G Raptor
08/04/2008, 3:05 PM
Not a whiff of an eL player in the 40 man squad. I guess that puts pay to any hope we had of Trap even considering the players in our League

geysir
08/04/2008, 3:05 PM
Theworm just soiled himself!!!
:D
I'm happy for Worm. It's a vindication of sorts for his years of unswerving belief in the wee mans ability.
We'll see if he make the cull down to 28 for the friendlies.

geysir
08/04/2008, 3:09 PM
Good news about Paddy Kenny though.

NeilMcD
08/04/2008, 3:10 PM
Not a whiff of an eL player in the 40 man squad. I guess that puts pay to any hope we had of Trap even considering the players in our League

Would the teams want an EL player to miss EL games for an Ireland friendly. The structure of the EL season really rules out EL players for International selection. Of course there would be exceptions.

NeilMcD
08/04/2008, 3:10 PM
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3055

here is the source

eirebhoy
08/04/2008, 3:20 PM
Do they know that Liam Lawrence is eligible? 14 goals and 15 assists this season.

tetsujin1979
08/04/2008, 3:22 PM
Midfielders: Owen Garvan [Ipswich Town], Wes Hoolahan , Stephen McPhail [Cardiff City], Martin Rowlands [QPR]

[B]Forwards: Sean Scannell [Crystal Palace], Roy O'Donovan [Sunderland], David Connolly [Sunderland].

some surprising/encouraging selections there. Scannell looks to be getting on the fast track.

Wangball
08/04/2008, 3:24 PM
Liam Miller is in their & Liam Lawrence isn't??? If they'd watched a Stoke match in recent weeks they would of had Delap in ahead of that over hyped has been Miller

ifk101
08/04/2008, 3:25 PM
Do they know that Liam Lawrence is eligible? 14 goals and 15 assists this season.

Yes - he should be included. I would have also called up more defenders - Paddy McCarthy, Alex Bruce and St Ledger spring to mind. We're weakest in defence so we really need to know what's available to us and what they can do.

Sheridan
08/04/2008, 3:26 PM
Would the teams want an EL player to miss EL games for an Ireland friendly. The structure of the EL season really rules out EL players for International selection.
That's why Russia, Norway, Estonia et al don't bother fielding national teams at all, I suppose...

Anyway, the clubs concerned would have their games postponed if a player was called up.

NeilMcD
08/04/2008, 3:28 PM
That's why Russia, Norway, Estonia et al don't bother fielding national teams at all, I suppose...

Anyway, the clubs concerned would have their games postponed if a player was called up.

I am not saying that. These game are on in the middle of the EL season. I am not sure I would be happy if Murphy, or Joxer or Crowe were to miss games against Pats and Galway in May for these friendlies.

Sheridan
08/04/2008, 3:29 PM
Again, they wouldn't. The games would be postponed.

amaccann
Nice to see Garvan finally called up into the senior squad; hopefully he'll get a chance to show what he can do.

Some surprising enough inclusions - didn't ever think Connolly would get called up again tbh.

carloz
Im sure there is a good reason why Lawrence isnt in the squad. Im a bit disapointed for him. I have always been a fan of Connolly in the past but there is nothing to be gained from bringing him. Id be happy with it though, nice to see Wes Hoolahan get the recognition he deserves.

Wow wow wow, I have just realised that there is no Alan O'Brien or Joe Lapeira. I detest this squad

NeilMcD
08/04/2008, 3:30 PM
Why what is the rule and would Galway and Pats be happy that a game is cancelled due to one player from the other team. I don't think you can just get a cancellation just because you are missing 1 player. When would the games be fitted into the calender esp if its St Pats or Derry or Cork who are in the Sentanta Cup.

Billsthoughts
08/04/2008, 3:31 PM
Nice to see Garvan finally called up into the senior squad; hopefully he'll get a chance to show what he can do.

Hopefully he will be given time to make the step up to international football.

carloz
Also i think McCarthy from Charlton surely deserves a call up, even more so ahead of O'Dea. Delaney as well perhaps. We have to work on our defence

finnpark

What are you on about? Liam Brady picked this squad, Trap is his assistant. Its the Liam Brady show now.

amaccann
08/04/2008, 3:35 PM
What are you on about? Liam Brady picked this squad, Trap is his assistant. Its the Liam Brady show now.
Totally. I'd say Tardelli had some say all right, but the bulk of those players would have been picked / dropped based on Brady's thoughts.

olegunnar
08/04/2008, 3:36 PM
No Lawrence, is a surprise.

with the way theyve looked at sunderland, its a wonder there is no place for ian harte!

also, i would read into no andy o brien or finnan that they are indeed finished.

boovidge
what's david connolly doing there?

also the lack of defenders is really worrying. Surely they should be looking at Bruce, St Ledger,McCarthy and maybe even O'Halloran.

Denis The Red
I assume the 40 are going to Portugal and then he'll cut the squad for the Serbia game.

geysir
Totally. I'd say Tardelli had some say all right, but the bulk of those players would have been picked / dropped based on Brady's thoughts
Who picked the first team of the Charton era?

finnpark
08/04/2008, 3:37 PM
Totally. I'd say Tardelli had some say all right, but the bulk of those players would have been picked / dropped based on Brady's thoughts.

And whats more Brady will be picking the team too.

jbyrne
08/04/2008, 3:37 PM
No guarantee he'll turn up.

It's good to have a 40-man squad, to cope with his and other withdrawals.

no gaurantee any of them will turn up. id have money on it that the same robbie keane that turned up a while back to play albania only a few days after his dads death will be there for sure.

do tell me... what prompted this ridiculous post?

Wangball
08/04/2008, 3:38 PM
Defensive options are despairing,could definitely of done with calling up more defenders in the hope of unearthing one that can do a job.

Also when was the last time David Connolly actually scored a goal? What exactly is to be gained by having him in the squad?? He's hardly gonna dislodge the likes of Keane, Doyle & Long - would of been better off leaving him at home & calling up some younger players (James McCarthy) or fixtures permitting some of the more promising home based players (i.e. those that will be snapped up by cross channel teams soon) to give them squad experience rather than that whingy little tool

carloz
08/04/2008, 3:38 PM

also the lack of defenders is really worrying. Surely they should be looking at Bruce, St Ledger,McCarthy and maybe even O'Halloran.

O'Halloran is out for quite a while with an injury unfortunatly

Wangball
08/04/2008, 3:41 PM
How long is Jon Walters gonna be out?

Dr. Ogba
08/04/2008, 3:41 PM

well O'Halloran's out for a long time but agree with the rest of your post (bar Bruce maybe - don't think he'll ever be good enough...)

NeilMcD
08/04/2008, 3:44 PM
I think Mc Carthy and Lawrence are the two that are most suprising as they have both played well of late.

Wangball
08/04/2008, 3:45 PM
Nicky Colgan must be wondering what he's done wrong, he seemed to be the only player guaranteed a place under Stan

Dr. Ogba
08/04/2008, 3:48 PM
McPhail is a surprise - very similar player to Andy Reid and Hoolihan and even Garvan to some extent so not really too sure where he'll fit in in the long-run....

lack of defensive backup definitely a worry also....

tetsujin1979
08/04/2008, 4:02 PM
How long is Jon Walters gonna be out?
According to this - http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8694_3300439,00.html - he was expected to be out for 6 weeks, which would put his return sometime around the 27th April.

Jerry The Saint
08/04/2008, 4:02 PM
Liam Brady said: “A preliminary squad of 40 players has been selected with the the help of Don Givens..."

He definitely has incriminating photos of someone :rolleyes:

Bad news for Joe O'Cearuill - Brady and Givens should know him as well as anyone.

Drumcondra 69er
08/04/2008, 4:07 PM
Stunned Lawrence isn't included, delighted to see Garvan in there and Kenny and Morrison back.

zenokelly
08/04/2008, 4:28 PM
Liam Brady said: “A preliminary squad of 40 players has been selected with the the help of Don Givens..."

Why would they name a squad now for a training camp a month and a half away without the full attention needed from Trap and with the help of that *****. A waste of time in my opinion, don't think there was any point to this act.

The first squad should be picked by the manager, not the U21 manager, that falls out with everyone under the sun.

It's nonsense that Lawrence isn't there, although he didn't play the other day for one reason or another, and McCarthy whereis he? And defenders are what we have a shortage of.

Why is Connolly there? He is finished, if he ever started, thats just annoyed me!

TheBoss
08/04/2008, 4:38 PM
I think the same about Lawrence and McCarthy, but what N Hunt, he is doing allright for Dundee United while Connolly rarely gets a seat on the bench, just a little surprising.

jbyrne
08/04/2008, 4:39 PM
no andy obrien or steve finnan, id assume this was a clean slate and if they were coming back id think they would have to be there....

brady quoted as saying he will be talking to both over the next few weeks

colster
08/04/2008, 4:47 PM
Squad Looks fine to me.
We have far better players than Lawrence and Mc Carthy.
I'm surprised by David Connolly's inclusion but that's about it.

We have big problems in defence though.