PDA

View Full Version : John Rooney

Pages : [1] 2 3

as_i_say
27/03/2008, 8:14 AM
All over the radio this Morning. John Rooney Plays for Macclesfield at the moment so nothing to get too excited about just yet. Very strange to consider oneself Irish when you are the brother of one of the worlds most famous English players. Anyone know what position he plays in?

Fr. Murphy
27/03/2008, 8:46 AM
He's only 16 as far as i know and was released by everton after spending five years at the club last year. On a similar note to brothers playing for different countries its like the De Guzman brothers. One plays for Canada and the other for Holland.

tetsujin1979
27/03/2008, 9:14 AM
Think Christian Vieri's brother declared for Australia as well.

Is this the same brother who was going to be let go by Everton around the same time Wayne Rooney made his debut? I remember reading something in the paper that his mother was organising a protest to stop it happening.

Paulie
27/03/2008, 9:43 AM
Very strange to consider oneself Irish when you are the brother of one of the worlds most famous English players.

I very much doubt he considers himself Irish. If he was as good as his brother he would have opted to play for England. This is a career choice, nothing more. Before anyone starts giving out I am not having a go at 2nd generation Irish players or fans here. There are obviously plenty of cases of genuine 2nd and even 3rd generation Irish players who regarded us as their first choice. I just find it odd that one brother opts to play for England and the other one opts to play for us. I don' think it's a coincidence either that the two other cases mentioned of brothers playing for different countries involve one brother playing for a country that is far superior, in a footballing sense, to the other. In this case the difference between the standards of the two teams is a bit more marginal (with us coming on on top naturally!)

SunderlandBohs
27/03/2008, 9:47 AM
Dickson Etuhu plays for Nigeria and his brother Kelvin plays for England U21. I think the Kalou brothers are the same. One plays for Holland and the other plays for the Ivory Coast. Open to correction on that one. You're right not to get excited about Rooney's brother. Maccelsfield is about his level according to the Silkmen's fans. It kind of stinks of "I'm not good enough to play for England so I'll opt for Ireland instead".

Dr. Ogba
27/03/2008, 9:52 AM
er....does anyone have a source on this? seems very strange that some English bloke playing for Macclesfield will come out and "declare" for Ireland.

hmm, can't get the proper one so I'll take this Rooney knock off instead??

We're not that desperate anymore thanks...

RiffRaff
27/03/2008, 10:04 AM
Going back a bit further - John Hollins played for England and his brother played for Wales. I'm sure i remember a similar situation to this in the 1980's when Steve McMahon's brother was saying he wanted to play for us. He never made the grade and i'm sure Rooney wont either.

pól-dcfc
27/03/2008, 10:06 AM
I'd just like to announce that like Darren Gibson, I've decided to declare for Ireland rather than the North.

Trap, you can find me in the phone book. I'll play anywhere. Sound.

Bluebeard
27/03/2008, 11:52 AM
The Gallen Brothers were an interesting case. Joe and Stephen(?) both played U21 for us, while Kevin declared for England. I seem to recall that Gerry Francis, his boss at QPR at the time was alledged to have forced him into it, telling him that it was in the best interests of his career, largely down to the old foreign player rule for european football I think. Kevin G was said to have been very connected to his Irish background, and, needless to say, never got any further than the U21s for England.

Ceirtlis
27/03/2008, 12:27 PM
The Gallen Brothers were an interesting case. Joe and Stephen(?) both played U21 for us, while Kevin declared for England. I seem to recall that Gerry Francis, his boss at QPR at the time was alledged to have forced him into it, telling him that it was in the best interests of his career, largely down to the old foreign player rule for european football I think. Kevin G was said to have been very connected to his Irish background, and, needless to say, never got any further than the U21s for England.

Kevin Gallen wrote a letter to Brian Kerr when he took charge asking to be considered for Ireland saying he was coerced into choosing England when he was younger. I think it was around the time when there was some sort of amnesty about playing underage and then declaring for someone else. Kerr didnt pick him so he is not eligible now that the rules have changed.

Ceirtlis
27/03/2008, 12:31 PM
Dickson Etuhu plays for Nigeria and his brother Kelvin plays for England U21. I think the Kalou brothers are the same. One plays for Holland and the other plays for the Ivory Coast. Open to correction on that one. You're right not to get excited about Rooney's brother. Maccelsfield is about his level according to the Silkmen's fans. It kind of stinks of "I'm not good enough to play for England so I'll opt for Ireland instead".

Both Kalou's play for Ivory Coast. Soloman tried to declare for Holland but he didnt get a passport or something and he ended up playing for Ivory Coast. They should have told him to **** off and play for Holland.

superfrank
27/03/2008, 12:33 PM
Pretty sure Tim Cahill's brother plays for Samoa.

citizenerased
27/03/2008, 12:38 PM
roooooooooooooooooooonnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyy

Drumcondra 69er
27/03/2008, 12:52 PM

Yeah, at the time QPR were actually doing quite well and the limit on foreign players playing in Europe was in force. Even if QPR weren't to qualify for Europe (and at one stage it looked possible) then Gallen declaring for us would have impacted his transfer value. Big mistake on his part, he'd have undoubtedly been capped.

Noel Whelan was another only in his case his Dad had written numerous letters to the FAI asking them to have a look at his son but he was constantly ignored so when England U 21's called him up for a match against us he declared for them. Needless to say he scored and we lost but turned into a bit of a boozehound and never fulfilled his potential and won a senior cap.

Wangball
27/03/2008, 2:03 PM
Its not brothers but hasn't Steven Gerrards cousin Anthony declared for us?

The Kalou example was very odd, Solomon was trying to fast track Dutch citizenship so he could play in the last world cup, he them flim flammed & decided to through his lot in with Ivory Coast when he was told it wouldn't be done on time & in an ironic twist of fate Ivory Coast were in the same group as Holland - it would of been odd to see 2 brothers playing against each other in a wrold cup group game

tetsujin1979
27/03/2008, 2:29 PM
Agree. In modern times Andy O Brien is a good example of a "career move" Irish player while Kilbane is an example of the exact opposite, someone who's genuinely Irish despite not being born here.
No, Andy isn't. I think he might have turned out once for the England U-21's after being told it wouldn't affect his chances of playing for Ireland. I know for a fact he's been over to Cork tracing his roots, and looking to buy land here.
He was a decent player when we needed someone to partner Cunningham and I've no problem with him whatsoever.

greendeiseboy
27/03/2008, 2:32 PM
yeah gerrard's cousin was called up but they subsequently discovered that he wasn't eligible think he might have played in a friendly

david mcwilliams wrote an intersesting piece on the liverpool irish . In it he spoke to rooney's grandmother who's background is from Derry but she describes how deep rooted the family is in ireland and how she considers herself irish... she also spoke about wayne and made the comment that he was english on the outside but very much irish on the inside

as regards his brother he's made one appearance as a sub for macclesfield but he's only 16 so it will be intersting to see how this develops

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2007/07/09/hibrits-irelands-loss-englands-gain

irishfan86
27/03/2008, 3:05 PM
I don't see it as beyond possibility that a guy would feel ties to both countries.

If Rooney Jr. wants to play for us, let him declare.

If he's on the fringes of a team in the football league at just 16, there's hope for him to become a decent player yet.

Is he a striker as well, or what?

anto1208
27/03/2008, 3:14 PM
The FAI where alerted to Rooney Sr but as usual didnt bother there arse getting him to declare.

John Rooney was realeased at the time of Rooney joining UTD i had thought he went with him. He played in midfield at everton

Drumcondra 69er
27/03/2008, 3:24 PM
yeah gerrard's cousin was called up but they subsequently discovered that he wasn't eligible think he might have played in a friendly

david mcwilliams wrote an intersesting piece on the liverpool irish . In it he spoke to rooney's grandmother who's background is from Derry but she describes how deep rooted the family is in ireland and how she considers herself irish... she also spoke about wayne and made the comment that he was english on the outside but very much irish on the inside

as regards his brother he's made one appearance as a sub for macclesfield but he's only 16 so it will be intersting to see how this develops

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2007/07/09/hibrits-irelands-loss-englands-gain

Good article.

Anyone remember Dermot O'Leary on Fantasy Football when Rooney was doing the biz for England in Euro 2000? Baddiel and Skinner were being their usual irritating selves and asked him how he thought 'we'd' do? O'Leary asked them if they meant England before saying he was Irish, not English and hoped they'd get knocked out as soon as possible. They then started crapping on about Rooney so he started winding them up about how he was Irish and all, was great stuff!!

Morbo
27/03/2008, 3:27 PM
No, Andy isn't. I think he might have turned out once for the England U-21's after being told it wouldn't affect his chances of playing for Ireland. I know for a fact he's been over to Cork tracing his roots, and looking to buy land here.
He was a decent player when we needed someone to partner Cunningham and I've no problem with him whatsoever.

Give me a break, if it wasn't a career move then why did he retire at 28? and don't say it was because he was treated badly by Stan, Stan wasn't even manager when he retired

Bluebeard
27/03/2008, 3:35 PM
she also spoke about wayne and made the comment that he was english on the outside but very much irish on the inside

Thank god for that - the outside is not exactly a physiological credit to the nation.

greendeiseboy
27/03/2008, 3:40 PM
Thank god for that - the outside is not exactly a physiological credit to the nation.

Ah come on boi!! if ever i saw a kilbarry head he has one (if you know what i mean)

Bluebeard
27/03/2008, 3:45 PM
Ah come on boi!! if ever i saw a kilbarry head he has one (if you know what i mean)

Shh, we've been trying to keep them under wraps until "The Kilbarry Experiment" is complete.

Drumcondra 69er
27/03/2008, 3:47 PM
Have been told by some London Irish I know Martin Keown was practically ostracised by some members of his family when he threw his lot in with them! :D

Traps Cat
27/03/2008, 3:49 PM
Gary Linekers long lost brother "Mickey" has declared for us too. He's currently playing for "The Dog and Duck" in the South Stockport premier league.

Razors left peg
27/03/2008, 3:49 PM
The lad has just broken into the first team at 17 so ya never know he could turn out to be a decent player.

Pike B
27/03/2008, 3:50 PM
Gary Linekers long lost brother "Mickey" has declared for us too. He's currently playing for "The Dog and Duck" in the South Stockport premier league.
Disney... :) :) Superb...

kennedmc
27/03/2008, 3:55 PM
any links or sources to this story?

Pike B
27/03/2008, 4:02 PM
any links or sources to this story?
I can confirm that no Gary Linekers brother Mickey is not Irish..

dr_peepee
27/03/2008, 4:12 PM
Give me a break, if it wasn't a career move then why did he retire at 28? and don't say it was because he was treated badly by Stan, Stan wasn't even manager when he retired

Hard to argue with that i suppose... The whole england representation though.. Did he actually represent England or was it his performance of an English League U21 Select in some matches against an italian seria B equivelant when he was at Bradford???

tetsujin1979
27/03/2008, 4:26 PM
Good article.

Anyone remember Dermot O'Leary on Fantasy Football when Rooney was doing the biz for England in Euro 2000? Baddiel and Skinner were being their usual irritating selves and asked him how he thought 'we'd' do? O'Leary asked them if they meant England before saying he was Irish, not English and hoped they'd get knocked out as soon as possible. They then started crapping on about Rooney so he started winding them up about how he was Irish and all, was great stuff!!
I remember that, Al Murray (the pub landlord from Time Gentlemen Please) was on it as well. Skinner asked Dermot O'Leary what did he think of the results so far, and O'Leary replied he didn't support England, he supported Ireland. Skinner nearly turned white, and Murray said something like "Dermot O'LEARY, there's a clue there". Classic.
Made Brian McFadden look even more of a tool when he was on it a few days later and said he was supporting England.

Drumcondra 69er
27/03/2008, 5:26 PM
I remember that, Al Murray (the pub landlord from Time Gentlemen Please) was on it as well. Skinner asked Dermot O'Leary what did he think of the results so far, and O'Leary replied he didn't support England, he supported Ireland. Skinner nearly turned white, and Murray said something like "Dermot O'LEARY, there's a clue there". Classic.
Made Brian McFadden look even more of a tool when he was on it a few days later and said he was supporting England.

Sh1t, remember that now, am I imagining it of did he have an England jersey on as well that night? The red one? Or am I thinking of that sap Ray Shah who wore one for half the summer on Big Brother and got rightly slated for it?

Santry_Goonshow
27/03/2008, 5:39 PM
Well, its a joke now officially. At least Andy Townsend and Mark Lawrenson grew up in the Irish clubs in Dulwich and Preston. The Rooneys don't even know where Ireland is and when one brother declares for the country out of the blue its just cynical self-promotion. F*** Off scumbag. You and your whingey brother both.

Razors left peg
27/03/2008, 5:41 PM
Well, its a joke now officially. At least Andy Townsend and Mark Lawrenson grew up in the Irish clubs in Dulwich and Preston. The Rooneys don't even know where Ireland is and when one brother declares for the country out of the blue its just cynical self-promotion. F*** Off scumbag. You and your whingey brother both.

They were raised in a very Irish area of Liverpool so I pretty sure they know where Ireland is

Drumcondra 69er
27/03/2008, 5:56 PM

:D:D You any idea where in Liverpool they're from????

Agree that Wayne's choice of country shows where their loyalties lie alright but Andy Townsend is on record as saying he was gutted after Stuttgart and was up for England in that game 100%.....

tetsujin1979
27/03/2008, 6:49 PM
Sh1t, remember that now, am I imagining it of did he have an England jersey on as well that night? The red one? Or am I thinking of that sap Ray Shah who wore one for half the summer on Big Brother and got rightly slated for it?
I don't think McFadden wore an England jersey, but I could be wrong. He said he supported England because his then wife is English and he lived in London.
Shah wore a red t-shirt with a St George's Cross on it in Big Brother alright.

cavan_fan
27/03/2008, 8:19 PM
The FAI where alerted to Rooney Sr but as usual didnt bother there arse getting him to declare.

Yes if there's one thing we are famous for in Ireland it's our tardiness in getting English born people to declare for us!

stiofain
27/03/2008, 9:07 PM
Not too impressed with this. Surely he dosent qualify anyway, if its only his grandmothers people that are from Derry?
I'm second generation Irish myself, but to be honest, i find it a bit embarassing when people try to 'claim' Rooney, Keown and thier like as one of our own.
Each to thier own, in my opinion. I'm extremely proud to call myself Irish but i've met other people who have similar parentage to myself and arent particulary bothered.

Jamjar
27/03/2008, 9:25 PM

What a load of shiiite. I think its a credit to young Rooney that he'd even consider declaring for us at 16 or 17. If he was 22 or 23 and whingeing about not getting an england cap it would be different.
By the way, if you looked at Andy Townsend a few weeks ago on Setantas champions league coverage you'd be in no doubt as to where he considers himself from (he was great for Ireland and I never doubted his loyalty to the team by the way). He kept on talking about 'our clubs' being in the last 4. I thought Pat Dolan was going to hit him.

Drumcondra 69er
27/03/2008, 10:46 PM
Not too impressed with this. Surely he dosent qualify anyway, if its only his grandmothers people that are from Derry?
I'm second generation Irish myself, but to be honest, i find it a bit embarassing when people try to 'claim' Rooney, Keown and thier like as one of our own.
Each to thier own, in my opinion. I'm extremely proud to call myself Irish but i've met other people who have similar parentage to myself and arent particulary bothered.

All Rooney's people from both sides are Irish decent, think the grandmother's name is actually Fitzsimons(?) and that's on his Mum's side, he has 26 county roots on his father's side.

As for the Keowns, I know people in London who knew the family and they were pillars of the Irish community over there, there was a lot of surprise and disapointment when he declared for England.

Agree with your last point, I have 2G mates who consider themselves totally Irish, others who support Ireland and England (cop out imo) and others who follow England, as you say, each to their own....

tetsujin1979
27/03/2008, 11:33 PM

John Rooney was realeased at the time of Rooney joining UTD i had thought he went with him. He played in midfield at everton
I'm convinced I read an article on tribalfootball.com ages ago that the FAI had approached Everton for documents on his parentage, but found out he wasn't eligible because he had already played competitive underage football for England

geysir
28/03/2008, 12:20 AM
One Grandmother from Derry is enough.
Alex Bruce has a Grandmother born in the North.
It is on the outer edge of the qualification criteria but I get a kick out of it when they turn down the OWC.

livehead1
28/03/2008, 12:27 AM
It is on the outer edge of the qualification criteria but I get a kick out of it when they turn down the OWC.

Can opener produced, can opened, escaped worms all over the keyboard...

theworm2345
28/03/2008, 1:17 AM
Agree. In modern times Andy O Brien is a good example of a "career move" Irish player while Kilbane is an example of the exact opposite, someone who's genuinely Irish despite not being born here.
Not to mention someone else, who I've seen in a photo with Robbie playing Gaelic Football ;)

Pretty sure Tim Cahill's brother plays for Samoa.
Yeah, and Tim played in an underage match for them and that nearly ruined his Aussie career. Then they changed the rule making him eligible

Dont forget about Adam Rooney and Anthony Gerrard as well

livehead1
28/03/2008, 1:24 AM
Dont forget about Adam Rooney What about him?

theworm2345
28/03/2008, 1:51 AM
What about him?
He is supposed to be pretty good, his name is Rooney, I don't know what else

Razors left peg
28/03/2008, 6:44 AM
He is supposed to be pretty good, his name is Rooney, I don't know what else

Adam Rooney was born in Dublin

greendeiseboy
28/03/2008, 8:33 AM
Dont forget about Adam Rooney and Anthony Gerrard as well[/QUOTE]

As i've stated already Gerrard was called up and might have played in an underage friendly some years ago but they then found out that he didn't qualify

paul_oshea
28/03/2008, 8:53 AM
i have to agree with the poster who said it sounds like he is trying to enhance his career, nevermind the age.