PDA

View Full Version : First Division

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

superfrank
16/03/2008, 5:47 PM
Early days I know but the top four have already played one of each other and it looks like it could be a 4-way race for the one place already.

What do the First fans think?

LeixlipRed
16/03/2008, 5:50 PM
Who are you counting as the 4th of the top 4? Longford? Won't be near promotion. I still expect SF to be well clear of them with Monaghan in 5th and Longford back in 6th. Dundalk will run us close with Waterford 3rd possibly though I haven't seen them play yet so will have to revise that prediction possibly. I think our team is still getting used to playing together. I'd say Dundalk will lead by the odd few points til half way and then it'll be close fought after that

Keen2win
16/03/2008, 6:25 PM
Who are you counting as the 4th of the top 4? Longford? Won't be near promotion. Longford back in 6th.

I have to disagree. I don't think we will win the division but I don't think we will come 6th either. We should be at least challanging for the top 3-4.

L37Ultra
16/03/2008, 6:44 PM
Longford will be higher than 6th for sure. Good win for Sporting Fingal today but they wont be as high as 4th in my opinion. Strangely enough I think the current League table wont be far off the final table with Shelbourne and Longford swapping places. The bottom 3 will be made up of Wexford, Kildare and Athlone I think. With Monaghan, Limerick and Fingal ahead of them. And then the expected top four of Shels, Waterford, Longford and Dundalk ahead of those. Its the highest standard D1 for a long while I think.

SPXcyan
16/03/2008, 7:09 PM
Definately gonna be between Shels, Dundalk and Waterford for the title but I just havent a clue who will snatch it!

shep
16/03/2008, 7:38 PM
I think its gonna be a 3 way fight between Dundalk,Shels and Waterford,with home form being the key.Not ruling out Longford just yet but i think the bigger squads of the "big 3" could be a factor towards the end of season.:cool:

De Town
16/03/2008, 8:09 PM
Dundalk, Shels and Waterford will be the only real challengers, and I fancy Shels to win it. Hopefully we'll get 4th, but i can't see us challenging TBH.

oldyouth
17/03/2008, 8:22 AM
Definite 50/50 split with Wexford, L37, Kildare, Monaghan & Athlone capable of filling any spot in the bottom half.
Tighter in the top half with Shels & Dundalk favourites

The Man Himself
17/03/2008, 9:50 AM
watched the waterford longford game on friday and waterford should have hammered them,
worse longford team iv ever seen and they still snatched a point with a poxy peno in the last min,
judging by what iv seen this season so far' its going to be a very long season watching a pis poor 1st division.

KUFCMan
17/03/2008, 1:27 PM
Is the Athlone v Waterford game on Friday or Saturday?

Battery Rover
17/03/2008, 8:49 PM
Is the Athlone v Waterford game on Friday or Saturday?

Friday 7.45PM

pineapple stu
17/03/2008, 8:53 PM
Don't see why everyone's writing Fingal off with the squad they have.

Bluebeard
18/03/2008, 11:41 AM
Don't see why everyone's writing Fingal off with the squad they have.

I'm guessing that it will be the difference between squad and team. Last year everyone was talking up Dundalk because of all their new signings, but they finished considerably behind Cobh and Harps because they simply did not have time to gel as a team. This time around, that should be different. SF could take a few weeks before they start to gel, despite the quality of the squad. Liam Buckley has also been out of top grade football in this country for five or six years, and that will tell too, as things have progressed in terms of tactics and fitness in many of the clubs, not least the "Big Three" in the division of Blues, Shels and Dundalk.

(Longford I know very little about at the mo, and cannot bring myself to place them in the same bracket as the other three until I do.)

Mr A
18/03/2008, 12:29 PM
Last year everyone was talking up Dundalk because of all their new signings, but they finished considerably behind Cobh and Harps because they simply did not have time to gel as a team.

This doesn't really make sense as Dundalk did very well in the early part of the season and only faltered later on in the year. In fairness injuries to key players probably held them back a bit, but they couldn't keep pace with the form of Cobh (consistent throughout the year) and Harps (awful start, great finish). If anything, your argument applies more to Harps than Dundalk.

jebus
18/03/2008, 12:51 PM
Bit early to be talkiing about who's going to win the league isn't it lads? If anyone on here said at this stage last year that Cobh would win the league they would have been laughed off Foot.

All I can say at this stage is that if 1-3 clubs pull away early on this year is going to be the most depressing yet due to the 'one club up' promotion

paulie_walnuts
18/03/2008, 3:42 PM
This doesn't really make sense as Dundalk did very well in the early part of the season and only faltered later on in the year. In fairness injuries to key players probably held them back a bit, but they couldn't keep pace with the form of Cobh (consistent throughout the year) and Harps (awful start, great finish). If anything, your argument applies more to Harps than Dundalk.

Agree 100% with Mr. A.

Absolute ********, unless you mean mid season signings, which I would more say upset the team than anything.

But if you mean pre-season signings then seriously, 10 wins and 4 draws from the first 14 games is hardly 'team not gelling' form.

I'm glad we're not being talked up overly much this time around. We have made some very good signings, players that are familiar with each other (Rovers midfielders - Cassidy is a class act), and Robbie Martin up front, who is going to be a big player for us this year. The key will be home form and not dropping many points against the lower sides in the division. We had a very good 3-0 win (without playing that well) over Monaghan the other night, and I fully expect us to get something in Longford this coming week. The game away to Fingal will be very interesting, a lot of their players wanting to get one over on their old club.

Too soon to know who will be in the shake up, 10 games in we will know. I know nothing about Waterford or Longford tbh :D All that said, I'm confident we can do it this year.

eelmonster
18/03/2008, 3:47 PM
I fully expect us to get something in Waterford this coming week.

A train ticket to Longford? :D

paulie_walnuts
18/03/2008, 3:48 PM
A train ticket to Longford? :D

Originally I had called Fingal 'Final' 3 times:o

eelmonster
18/03/2008, 3:51 PM
You should have let it stand.

pineapple stu
18/03/2008, 7:08 PM
I'm guessing that it will be the difference between squad and team.
In a 36-game league, I can't see how that'll rule them out of some sort of contention to be honest. Plenty of time to get a run going, as Harps showed. Especially as they're already off the mark.

oriel
20/03/2008, 7:05 PM
I agree its quite a high standard top 3 or 4 this season, maybe on par when rovers won it and we came second and galway came 3rd.

Its hard to see past ourselves, shels and waterford, very little in it, i think we`re bette rprepared this year and have made some very decent signings, then again i would say that, last two seaosns we made the play offs so you would think we should push on this year and win it.

The key thing in this div is keeping as many clean sheets a spossible, cobh did exactly that last year and only conceeded soemthing like 18 or 20 - very impressive, that was a def wekness in us last year, we were far too sloopy at the back, even games we won we still let in silly goals.

Im going

1. Dundalk
2. Shels
3. Waterford (have to admit i haven't see yet but heard they are decent)

I think Fingal will take at least 2 years for them to settle into life in the big time, ok they have some good players, but the lack of support as the season goes on will be a major factor, also their team has literally been thrown together, a 5th place for them would be a great shout.

Black and White
26/03/2008, 3:46 PM
It will be a tough season an tough to break away from a few others including shels, waterford and fingal. Shels an waterford have had blips already but im guna say:

1st Dundalk
2nd Shels
3rd Fingal
4th Waterford

jebus
26/03/2008, 3:47 PM
It will be a tough season an tough to break away from a few others including shels, waterford and fingal. Shels an waterford have had blips already but im guna say:

1st Dundalk
2nd Shels
3rd Fingal
4th Waterford

Fingal are muck to be honest, they only beat us (A poor Limerick team, even by our recent standards) with a 'controversial' penalty (read: keeper went down early and Fungal striker dived over his arm). Fungal was a typo, but I think I'll leave it as is :)

Black and White
26/03/2008, 3:50 PM
I believe something similar happined in the FA cup 2 weeks ago..was it milan baros who kneed kusczak in the head and got a peno 4 it!!
Papers did say dave ryan "inexplicably" took down fingal striker.

jebus
26/03/2008, 3:53 PM
I believe something similar happined in the FA cup 2 weeks ago..was it milan baros who kneed kusczak in the head and got a peno 4 it!!
Papers did say dave ryan "inexplicably" took down fingal striker.

While I have another First Divisioner here, is it just me or has the standard in the refs actually dropped this year? I say actually because I thought we had hit rock bottom in recent years, but some of the decisions I've seen given, both for and against us, this year have been shocking. Offsides that are about 4 yards on, a penalty given for a deliberate handball on line yet the ref didn't even show a yellow card, and a few too many dodgy looking fouls given

Black and White
26/03/2008, 4:00 PM
I act agree. Our first game of the season, shels anto flood was through one on one with our keeper, who came flyn off his line an slide tackled flood outside the box, cleanly won the ball, flood fell over an by the time he stoped rolling around as if his leg was broken, he was on our goal line. ref sent off bennion, booked a defender and flood jumped straight up. ref was absolutley shocking in that game!dished out d cards to our players for fun!

TheFingallian
26/03/2008, 8:11 PM
That pen for us against Limerick was dodgy alright. But we got done in the League Cup there against Shels. Their second goal was offside and the ref missed a back pass too.

If they are going to be bad at least there keeping it even for each team!

Ash
27/03/2008, 7:22 AM
3. Waterford (have to admit i haven't see yet but heard they are decent)

Whoever told you that was definately taking the p!ss. As bad as we were
against then on Good Friday, they were just as poor. Windy conditions didnt
help either side but they were quite bad.

Raheny Red
27/03/2008, 10:19 AM
That pen for us against Limerick was dodgy alright. But we got done in the League Cup there against Shels. Their second goal was offside and the ref missed a back pass too.

The offside goal was great stuff, I have no complaints :cool:. As for the back pass, passing the ball back with your thigh is not a back pass!

Louth4sam
27/03/2008, 10:29 AM
As for the back pass, passing the ball back with your thigh is not a back pass!

Playing the ball back with any part of your body from the waist down is in fact a back pass.

Bluebeard
27/03/2008, 10:36 AM
Whoever told you that was definately taking the p!ss. As bad as we were
against then on Good Friday, they were just as poor. Windy conditions didnt
help either side but they were quite bad.

On the basis of seeing that game and the Wexford win, I wouldn't rate us, but the quality and experience of the players should be able to produce something better than Friday's feast of sh!te.

I'll still maintain that we should be in the shake up at the end of the season. If I didn't believe we can be better than that I'd need treatment of some kind. Perhaps I do for believing it as it is. I do think that every club in any given league has to believe at three games in that it is possible to do well in any given season. For us that would be promotion.

Didn't see you at the game Ash - we you hiding form the cold too?

Raheny Red
27/03/2008, 11:13 AM
Playing the ball back with any part of your body from the waist down is in fact a back pass.

Passing the ball back with your thigh is not constituted as a pass back.

stann
27/03/2008, 12:15 PM
Yes it is, if it's deliberate.
If it cannons off your thigh as you are trying to clear it, for example, then it's not considered a back pass. How could it be? But if you deliberately kill a dropping ball on your thigh for the keeper to collect, for another example, then it's a stonewall 110% backpass and you will rightly be burned at the stake and cast forth into endless night. As you'd deserve.

stickyjoe
27/03/2008, 12:21 PM
AFAIK its only a backpass if you pass it back by any part of your body below your knee:confused:

jebus
27/03/2008, 12:28 PM
If it cannons off your thigh as you are trying to clear it, for example, then it's not considered a back pass. How could it be? But if you deliberately kill a dropping ball on your thigh for the keeper to collect, for another example, then it's a stonewall 110% backpass and you will rightly be burned at the stake and cast forth into endless night. As you'd deserve.

AFAIK its only a backpass if you pass it back by any part of your body below your knee:confused:

Can't believe that Denmark are the European Champions and the Masstrict Treaty has come into force :(

Anyone hear about Nirvana's follow up to Nevermind yet as well?

LeixlipRed
27/03/2008, 12:36 PM
Can't believe that Denmark are the European Champions and the Masstrict Treaty has come into force :(

Anyone hear about Nirvana's follow up to Nevermind yet as well?

I was 9 today!! Yay!!

Raheny Red
27/03/2008, 12:40 PM

That's my understanding of it too.

stann
27/03/2008, 12:44 PM
Well shut my mouth! After all this time it looks like below the knee is right.
Right, I'm away to have a chat with a few referees. :mad:
Then I'm off to South Africa to do a gig now we're all OK to go there again! :)

oldyouth
27/03/2008, 12:56 PM
I Agree and to throw another one in to the mix, so is deliberately using your foot/leg/thigh to flick the ball up and head back to the keepers arms

Ash
27/03/2008, 1:22 PM
Didn't see you at the game Ash - we you hiding form the cold too?

Yep, I was over in the Home section :D
If I knew you were going I'd have braved the Away area. Feckin freezin though.

Bluebeard
27/03/2008, 1:53 PM
Yep, I was over in the Home section :D
If I knew you were going I'd have braved the Away area. Feckin freezin though.

You were as well not come over - the riot police got right out of hand towards the end:D That said, I'm still glad we decided against the Town-end bank in the end:eek:

oriel
28/03/2008, 9:10 AM
Wexford fans - if your team had shown more belief you may have nicked a point in oriel last night, 2-0 up at ht and cruising we collapsed in the second half and put on a shocking display. was impressed the way the youth kept the ball on the deck and passed it around in the 2nd half.

Footsoldier
28/03/2008, 9:15 AM
So I heard. Seemingly we had some chances but gave away 2 simple goals again. It's an improvement on last year though. I don't think we even scored against ye in 4 attempts! What sort of crowd was there? According to our website, we had about 15 at it. Damn Thursday night games!

oldyouth
28/03/2008, 12:33 PM
Everyone has discovered the 'secret' to beating the Youths. Get a corner or a set piece:(
We just don't seem to be able to deal with them. At this stage we panic for every corner and end up letting them in or giving away penos.

jebus
28/03/2008, 12:40 PM
Everyone has discovered the 'secret' to beating the Youths.

I think the secret to beating the Youths is to have at least 8 able bodied men on the park, everything else seems to take care of itself after that :)

Footsoldier
28/03/2008, 12:43 PM
8? Is it that many??

oldyouth
28/03/2008, 12:49 PM
I think the secret to beating the Youths is to have at least 8 able bodied men on the park, everything else seems to take care of itself after that :)
Jebus, I know that we have only won 1 game (in the cup) this year but the general consensus is that our game against L37 this year was by far and away the worst effort we've put in so far. Hopefully we'll show you a better display in the return fixture

jebus
28/03/2008, 12:53 PM
Jebus, I know that we have only won 1 game (in the cup) this year but the general consensus is that our game against L37 this year was by far and away the worst effort we've put in so far. Hopefully we'll show you a better display in the return fixture

In fairness I think going 7 games in a row without being able to beat Limerick gives the Youths a fair shout at being named the worst football team in the world

oriel
28/03/2008, 1:30 PM
So I heard. Seemingly we had some chances but gave away 2 simple goals again. It's an improvement on last year though. I don't think we even scored against ye in 4 attempts! What sort of crowd was there? According to our website, we had about 15 at it. Damn Thursday night games!

First goal corner by our left full then headed in at back post by our right full - exact same combo as last season

2nd - your central defender lost the ball insdie the box, side pass for a simple tap in

yes this goal was your first v us.

dfc.com reports approx 1,500 at the game

around 10 WY fans but some impressive flags

Thurs nights ? couldnt agree more -silly night for a game, sat would be my choice

But you will have to take great credit at how you played in 2nd half esp as we all thought it was just a case of 'how many more'

Splurge
28/03/2008, 5:04 PM
Wexford fans - if your team had shown more belief you may have nicked a point in oriel last night, 2-0 up at ht and cruising we collapsed in the second half and put on a shocking display. was impressed the way the youth kept the ball on the deck and passed it around in the 2nd half.

Seems to be a reccurring theme, was the very same in the waterford game. Our lack of experience can be glaring at times, i allways feel we need a few auld heads aboard to settle the ship.
But despite the losses were playing well and keep playing it the way the good lord intended it. Important game against Shels next week now, 3 points would sure be sweet.