PDA

View Full Version : Billy Davies?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Maroon 7
15/01/2008, 12:29 AM
Davies out of Scotland running
Exclusive by DARRYL BROADFOOT, Chief Football Writer (darryl.broadfoot@theherald.co.uk)

Billy Davies will not be the next Scotland national coach after removing his name from the shortlist of candidates to be interviewed for the vacancy.
In a fresh twist, The Herald understands the Football Association of Ireland have invited Davies to a meeting in London to discuss the possibility of him becoming part of the managerial set-up with the Republic of Ireland.

Sources close to Davies stressed last night that the 43-year-old's decision to decline the opportunity of an interview with the Scottish FA is not an act of disloyalty or in any way influenced by the subsequent turn of events involving the FAI. Instead, the appointment last week of Billy Stark as under-21 manager was regarded by Davies as an indication that Gordon Smith and George Peat, the chief executive and president of the SFA, have already privately made up their minds over the identity of Alex McLeish's replacement.

Theskinloyal
15/01/2008, 12:52 AM
Felt so sorry for him. Should never have been sacked out of Derby. He'd still have a job if he hadn't gotten them promoted.

Would be an excellent choice.

ABV (Anybody but Venables)

irishfan86
15/01/2008, 1:00 AM
Felt so sorry for him. Should never have been sacked out of Derby. He'd still have a job if he hadn't gotten them promoted.

Would be an excellent choice.

ABV (Anybody but Venables)

I agree with these sentiments. Took a crap team to promotion, and then got punished for it.

Wouldn't be unhappy with his appointment.

gspain
15/01/2008, 7:18 AM
Great news. Did a great job at Preston then at Derby. Brought them up years too soon.

Jicked
15/01/2008, 8:31 AM
While Davies did a good job with Derby and Preston in the Championship, should we really consider a manager who has never beaten a big side, only managed about 15 games in the top flight and has never coached in Europe??

Stuttgart88
15/01/2008, 8:33 AM
That's what I think too. If we had time to blood a new manager for the long term he could be a good candidate but we don't. We wasted 2 years and have to hit the ground running this year.

Ireland4ever
15/01/2008, 8:38 AM
Next.

Lionel Ritchie
15/01/2008, 9:16 AM
I wonder does the plonker say "Job Done" anymore? :rolleyes:
That'd possibly become his "I'm da gaffur".

RogerMilla
15/01/2008, 9:27 AM
no. next question ?

Hibernian
15/01/2008, 9:39 AM
I dont think he is up to the job.

Although he did very well at both Preston and Derby I dont think the FAI would go for this guy.

Venables has the job in the bag as far as I am concerned and laying Deschamps last night was like winning free money FAI would never go for him

Noelys Guitar
15/01/2008, 10:40 AM
I dont think he is up to the job.

Although he did very well at both Preston and Derby I dont think the FAI would go for this guy.

Venables has the job in the bag as far as I am concerned and laying Deschamps last night was like winning free money FAI would never go for him

The bookies should call this type of puntering "moving statue betting". And Davies has no chance of getting the job. He and Sanchez are only being interviewed for spin purposes.

the doc
16/01/2008, 8:13 AM
I think he would be ideal for the national job, did very good jobs at both PNE and Derby with limited resources.

Has a good working knowledge of all the up and coming players in the leagues and above all is hungry to do well and succeed.

galwayhoop
22/01/2008, 1:19 PM
Billy Davies is OUT of the reckoning...

Not official or anything but in the Star today he aid that he didn't want to go into the job if he was ONLY national team manager. He would want control over all of the underage teams too, re: appointments ..etc. He also cited that the appointment last week of the U21 manager showed him that control wouldn't be there.

The reason of course that he is out of the running I hear you ask ..... well the (totally unsuccessful) U21 manager is appointing the first team manager!!!!!

Now I'm not saying I would want him as our manager or anything but it is refreshing that a manager is showing an interest in ensuring that the foundations are there for the continual growth from underage up to the top level. It really is so important. Under even our successful managers of the last few campaigns we have had some turkeys in charge of the U21's. Maurice Setters and Ian Evans for starters!!

Fair play Billy ... very good sentiments ... but you're not for us methinks...

Dr. Ogba
22/01/2008, 1:23 PM
The Star? Whats their source? The foot.ie boards?! ;)

Bondvillain
22/01/2008, 1:27 PM
Its the star. The source of all stories is either Foot.ie or their 'deep throat', the mysterious "Mr U. Tube."

RogerMilla
22/01/2008, 2:24 PM
still no , by the way.

Jerry The Saint
22/01/2008, 3:42 PM
Old story reprinted by the Star but the source is direct quotes from the man himself.

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jZGHw2uPYznz4kbLRSYb7pZozsmA

Meanwhile, Billy Davies has revealed why he withdrew from the race to succeed Alex McLeish as national team coach.

He told the Scottish News of the World: "Scotland appointed an under-21 manager before the national job was filled suggesting to me that the new manager wouldn't have any input at lower levels.

"That's not how I see the job so I respectfully withdrew my name from consideration."

Sonic
23/01/2008, 12:37 PM
I agree with these sentiments. Took a crap team to promotion, and then got punished for it.

Im also of the same opinion. Did a great job and was harshly treated!!

Stuttgart88
23/01/2008, 12:39 PM
I'd be gutted if it's Davies.

galwayhoop
24/01/2008, 12:37 PM
Took a crap team to promotion, and then got punished for it.

i think his record is very similar to Mick McCarthy with Sunderland tbh. who got promoted too soon (with a sh1te squad and no money) and then went down with worst points total ever. davies just got the boot earlier.

tricky_colour
04/02/2008, 8:23 PM
The latest name on the FAI Merry-go-round.

NeilMcD
04/02/2008, 8:24 PM
Its just cause he was interviewed we all know that does not mean he will get the job.

joeSoap
04/02/2008, 8:29 PM
From Trappatoni to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Davies)....

How pathetic a footballing nation we have become.

NeilMcD
04/02/2008, 8:34 PM
sorry how does a report on a channell which has been shown to be full of **** during this whole episode have any bearing on where we are as a footballing nation. Billy Davies is going to be interviewed for the job, but does not mean he will get it.

Talk about an overstatement./

Carrigaline
04/02/2008, 8:38 PM
I love betfair! I had €400 on Billy Davies that I thought was wasted money, I have now laid that off at just under 2/1.

NeilMcD
04/02/2008, 8:40 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3109482,00.html

Jesus just cause a guy is getting an interview people are creaming themselves.

Jicked
04/02/2008, 8:46 PM
Hang on, Billy Davies has been out of a job since November, and he gets interviewed in February?! :mad: Unbelievable. As if Trapattoni would touch us now, seeing that he has to be compared to Billy Davies of Preston North End fame.

Plus, didn't Davies rule himself out of the Scottish job because he wanted to bring in his own U-21 and youth set up? So he will now be interviewed by our U-21 manager. Hmmm. What a waste of ****ing time, this is getting more embarassing by the day.

eirebhoy
04/02/2008, 8:55 PM
As we already knew. He applied for the job weeks ago and is getting an interview. He adds to the long list.

soccerc
04/02/2008, 8:57 PM

RAFLMAO, if only they knew...............................;)

kriscommons
04/02/2008, 9:02 PM
Givens said yesterday they had a few small matters to clear up.

That didn't sound like a ''we still have to interview Billy Davies'' to me.

This has gone arseways for the FAI, Trap and Ven should run a mile and we should hold on now till MAy or June and get Steve Coppell imo.
FFS- the whole thing looks like a complete shambles now.

I hope Tel thems them to fcuk off now.

Bondvillain
04/02/2008, 9:05 PM
Im still of the opinion that the panel produced Venables, sections of the FAI baulked, and the order went out to find "Plan B", ASAP.

Its now code red. "anybody but Venables".

As Trapattoni was never a realistic candidate, any one of the nobodies, has-beens or journeymen who turn up in the interview room in the next 8 days could very realistically end up being our man.

A farce , from start to finish.

SUB of the day
04/02/2008, 9:14 PM

.....hence the panic, classic FAI.Billy FN DAVIES:mad:

Bondvillain
04/02/2008, 9:20 PM
..and in fairness, perspective! Creaming themselves?

Trap hasn't been interviewed, says he doesnt want the job, Givens says he hasnt contacted him and yet theres 800 posts wondering everything from who's going to be his assistant to what formation he'll play against Georgia.

Billy Davies gets an interview in Zero Hour when desparation is setting in, and the single thread mentioning it is accused of relying on a "full of sh** source" (the same one that broke the Trap story, incedentally...) , and overstatement.....

Perspective.. It's the p!ss-up/brewery incompatible FAI we're dealing with here...Anything is possible....

mypost
04/02/2008, 9:22 PM
Hang on, Billy Davies has been out of a job since November, and he gets interviewed in February?! :mad: Unbelievable. As if Trapattoni would touch us now, seeing that he has to be compared to Billy Davies of Preston North End fame.

Billy FN DAVIES

And people here wanted Paul Jewell?? :confused: :rolleyes:

NeilMcD
04/02/2008, 9:22 PM
.....hence the panic, classic FAI.Billy FN DAVIES:mad:

Where does it is his 2nd interview.

Jicked
04/02/2008, 9:24 PM
Seriously, he's managed Preston North End and Derby County. He's never managed in a latter stage of a Cup competition, let alone a European game. The mind boggles. If appointed how will the FAI/Don Givens possibly sell this one?

co. down green
04/02/2008, 9:32 PM

The Sky news report said it was his second interview.Also mentioned 'reliable FAI sources'.

If true, sounds like the three stooges spent three & a half months to finish up with Billy Davies :confused:

Bondvillain
04/02/2008, 9:34 PM
Seriously, he's managed Preston North End and Derby County. He's never managed in a latter stage of a Cup competition, let alone a European game. The mind boggles. If appointed how will the FAI/Don Givens possibly sell this one?

If The new manager fails, The FAI & Delaney pass the blame to Givens for not adhering to a correct selection procedure, and expresses their "profound" disappointment, they then call up Terry Venables to take over immediately, money no issue, then gives themselves a pay rise for 'courage under fire'.

If the new manager suceeeds, The FAI & Delaney congratulate themselves for instigating their 'far sighted' interview process, and go off doing whatever they normally do, except they do it more smugly than usual. Then they give themselves a pay rise for a job well done.

SUB of the day
04/02/2008, 9:35 PM

After removing himself from contention for the Scotland job , he accepted an invitation to an interview in London, with FAI panel.This took place the same day as interview with Sanchez.3 amigos obviously liked what they heard and/or he is the only person( bar Tel) willing to take it:mad::

oriel
04/02/2008, 9:36 PM
just saw this on sky sports news 'breaking news' billy davies to be appointed on wed

I`d safely say this is pure rubbish and sky have totally misunderstood this to be an interview only (lets hope so)

Even the notion of sky thinking he`ll get the job is just embarrassing for us, we might as well re-employ stan !

billy davies indeed

NeilMcD
04/02/2008, 9:39 PM
Sky have had a shocker so far in this whole process.

Noelys Guitar
04/02/2008, 9:41 PM
Davies to be appointed manager on Wednesday according to Skynews! I am cracking up laughing here. Someone tell me this is a wind up. They have changed it now to interview on Wednesday.

finnpark
04/02/2008, 9:45 PM
Davies to be appointed manager on Wednesday according to Skynews! I am cracking up laughing here. Someone tell me this is a wind up.

Its a windup. Lets get real :D

Noelys Guitar
04/02/2008, 9:54 PM
I feeling like asking for a new head to head poll Davies v Kendall

SUB of the day
04/02/2008, 9:54 PM
Sky have had a shocker so far in this whole process.
.......but are we reduced to hoping( praying) the trend continues.The fact its meeting -interview No 2 scares the sh1t outta me.My gut feeling is that Davies is to be the ROI manager....UGH

centre mid
04/02/2008, 10:03 PM
Is it a prerequsit to be appointed Irish Manager that you must have been sacked by an english club? Skys Sports are completely taking the pis s on this. I remember they confirmed exclsusivley that Redknapp was in Newcastle to sign as manager, he was actually at home on the south coast, good job Sky.

Noelys Guitar
04/02/2008, 10:04 PM
.......but are we reduced to hoping( praying) the trend continues.The fact its meeting -interview No 2 scares the sh1t outta me.My gut feeling is that Davies is to be the ROI manager....UGH

Can anyone confirm that Davies has already been interviewed?

NeilMcD
04/02/2008, 10:06 PM
Nobody can confirm that as the 3 man panel have already said they wont say who they have and have not interviewed on this so the only way it can be confirmed is by Davies saying it himself.

eekers
04/02/2008, 10:07 PM
nothing wrong with interviewing davies as a third choice. no one will be appointed til the 10 days are up at least with a possible extra extension.

Noelys Guitar
04/02/2008, 10:08 PM
Nobody can confirm that as the 3 man panel have already said they wont say who they have and have not interviewed on this so the only way it can be confirmed is by Davies saying it himself.

It sounds like a move by Davies' advisors to get his name into the spotlight. Give the impression the interview is in fact a job offer.