PDA

View Full Version : Billy Davies?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

geysir
04/02/2008, 10:10 PM
Davies has not been interviewed. He is reported to have said that he will meet the FAI on Wednesday and if they will offer him the job he will take it.

Could we have scripted this in all our wildest imaginations last November?

NeilMcD
04/02/2008, 10:12 PM
So first we have the explostion and the mis information and now we the drawback.

kriscommons
04/02/2008, 10:32 PM
No offence to BD but please please please...FAI u cannot appoint this man.

I just can't believ that the FAI will give it to this guy after making us wait for 3 months. When Traps name was mentioned I thought that maybe the FAI were finally getting somewhere, now this.
FFS!!!!

eirebhoy
04/02/2008, 10:33 PM
And people here wanted Paul Jewell?? :confused: :rolleyes:
The man that had the 4th best away record in the premiership in Wigan's first season in the premiership (better than Arsenal's)? Hell yeah. Imagine how well he would have done if their home ground wasn't the least intimidating in England.

rambler14
04/02/2008, 10:42 PM
3 words can desbribe Billy Davies becoming Ireland manager:"WORSE THAN STAUNTON"
I'd rather see Roddy Collins become manager than him.

eirebhoy
04/02/2008, 10:43 PM
Sky have had a shocker so far in this whole process.
In fairness, people like to twist what Sky say for some strange reason. They got the Trapattoni story right, and the Houllier one in the end. You simply cannot trust people on the internet when they say "SSN said...". :)

According to a guy on boards (I haven't been watching Sky):

Sky doesn't say that, Sky says he will meet the FAI Wednesday and accept the job if offered.

Rob_the_cat
04/02/2008, 10:48 PM
To my mind Howe has leaked this to make his buddy Tel look good.Tel has the FAIlures over a barrel on the salary front so they desperately want to make a contest of it.Hence Il Trap!Can I just play Devils Advocate, whats so bad with Billy Davies?He has worked minor miracles with 3 clubs and zero budget,he's young and hungry with a point to prove,he can't afford to screw up or he'd be left vying with John Robertson to manage a big club like dunfermline!Scots are football geniuses.QED!

mypost
04/02/2008, 11:10 PM
The man that had the 4th best away record in the premiership in Wigan's first season in the premiership (better than Arsenal's)?

WOW!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Liverpool have one of the best away records in the EPL. It's more likely to get the boss the sack.

Jewell has won f all for 2 months against Blackburn, Wigan, Preston et al at home. How would he fare against Italy, Bulgaria and Montenegro?? :confused:

Noelys Guitar
04/02/2008, 11:11 PM
In fairness, people like to twist what Sky say for some strange reason. They got the Trapattoni story right, and the Houllier one in the end. You simply cannot trust people on the internet when they say "SSN said...". :)

According to a guy on boards (I haven't been watching Sky):

It has just been on again and is the opening story. They keep saying FAI sources? Who are these sources?

NeilMcD
04/02/2008, 11:12 PM
Noely they repeat after 11, it will be on repeat the whole night.

Noelys Guitar
04/02/2008, 11:15 PM
Noely they repeat after 11, it will be on repeat the whole night.

Its crazy that they lead with this story and then never go into any detail.

NeilMcD
04/02/2008, 11:16 PM
Typical Sky Sports News, they lead you in but their story has not back up. All it is in reality is that Davies is getting an interview

eirebhoy
04/02/2008, 11:22 PM
Liverpool have one of the best away records in the EPL.
Fair play to them. They were expecting to challenge for the title.

Juanace
04/02/2008, 11:28 PM
I'm so tired of this process:(

Can i just say that we get fully behind him or whoever is eventually appointed..i dont care anymore...i just want to enjoy watching us play again.

Never felt so low as an irish supporter at the moment..were an absolute joke

shakermaker1982
05/02/2008, 7:00 AM
After being teased with Trap for the past week..... if we end up with Billy Davies then it would be like being on a promise with Scarlett Johansson only to end up with Jade Goody for the night :(

macdermesser
05/02/2008, 7:27 AM
I can't believe some of the posts here .. why the antagonism against Davies? I would prefer young hungry manager with a track record of making the best of meagre resources to two has-been managers whose managerial careers are on a downward spiral.

Venables? Enough has been said already about his record...

Trapp? Very impressive record until to you analyse his recent appointments .. even though he is bankrolled by Red Bull .. Salzburg are struggling this season and the fans having been calling for his head for most of the season. He wasn't much better either at Stuttgart.

If the job is some overpaid retirement scheme .. it could all go pear shape imo. Do you think Venables or trapp will give two hoots if they fail? Where's my pay -off f-you all.

Davies on the other hand is trying to carve out a career for himself. Told the scots he would give a five year commitment to the job. Wants to take on the whole thing from seniors down to underage levels. If its a choice between these three, then he is the man for me.

Ireland4ever
05/02/2008, 8:12 AM
I can't believe some of the posts here .. why the antagonism against Davies? I would prefer young hungry manager with a track record of making the best of meagre resources to two has-been managers whose managerial careers are on a downward spiral.

Venables? Enough has been said already about his record...

Trapp? Very impressive record until to you analyse his recent appointments .. even though he is bankrolled by Red Bull .. Salzburg are struggling this season and the fans having been calling for his head for most of the season. He wasn't much better either at Stuttgart.

If the job is some overpaid retirement scheme .. it could all go pear shape imo. Do you think Venables or trapp will give two hoots if they fail? Where's my pay -off f-you all.

Davies on the other hand is trying to carve out a career for himself. Told the scots he would give a five year commitment to the job. Wants to take on the whole thing from seniors down to underage levels. If its a choice between these three, then he is the man for me.

I can see a reason why givens why might object to his appointment!:D

Wolfie
05/02/2008, 8:19 AM
I flicked on SSN last night about 9ish and was greeted with the yellow bar running across the screen referring to Billy Davies and the presenter stating that he'd be appointed on Wednesday.

Within the hour they had toned down the "story" that he was attending for interview on Wednesday. No more, no less :rolleyes:

ainsie
05/02/2008, 8:19 AM
Manchester City say Benjani Mwaruwari's proposed move from Portsmouth has still to be completed.

Reports had claimed that City had finalised a deal for the Zimbabwe striker, which has been held up since deadline day.

Quote above from SSN. Last night this was a done deal. Same as Billy D. Grain of salt I say.

Next!!!!

macdermesser
05/02/2008, 8:39 AM
I can see a reason why givens why might object to his appointment!:D

you never know, givens might gracefully retire now that he will reach his zenith managing Ireland versus Brazil.

I'm actually serious .. he might see delivering the new manager as his final contribution and will prefer to take a back seat again.

Probably wrong though!

Bondvillain
05/02/2008, 8:47 AM
I'm actually serious .. he might see delivering the new manager as his final contribution.

Oh Jaysus, that'd be brilliant. Fingers crossed, eh?

livehead1
05/02/2008, 9:02 AM
Through-out the process we have had our apetites whetted with names such as Venables, Houllier, Troussier & Trappattoni; with some of the above having managed at the highest level in European and World football with relative success. Now it seems we are to be managed by Billy Davies, sacked (albeit unfairly imo) from Derby County. Extremely dissapointed, angered, betrayed and let down if this turns out to be true.

youngirish
05/02/2008, 9:30 AM
TBH I don't get all the hostility here towards Billy Davies. Trapattonni is an ageing manager who's best years are far behind him imo. His defensive brand of football would hardly suit our team (can you see us relying on a defence with the likes of JOS, Stephen Kelly and Paul McShane to keep clean sheets away from home for 90 minutes). Coupled with the fact he doesn't speak English and the players (looking at he Dunne interview) may not be too keen to work with him I would be surprised if he achieved any amount of success with us though I admit he would be a far better appointment than many of the candidates mentioned.

As for Venables a hasbeen just looking for a quick buck. Has done nothing for years in football and would have no interest in managing us if any of his last few jobs had resulted in any level of success. Even if he does well he'll be off at the first opportunity to accept a better pay packet somewhere else.

Billy Davies did a very good job on limited resources at both Derby and Preston and while he was sacked (nobody was going to keep Derby up) he is still a young, hopefully improving manager with a good track record and a knowledge of our players. I'd say he'd do a good job with the better resources and players he can work with at Ireland. Much prefer him than the likes of Venables or Brady anyway.

Stuttgart88
05/02/2008, 9:57 AM
Typical Sky Sports News, they lead you in but their story has not back up. All it is in reality is that Davies is getting an interviewWhich has been known for ages. The capacity of the press to regurgitate old news is amazing.

Stuttgart88
05/02/2008, 10:02 AM
TBH I don't get all the hostility here towards Billy Davies. He's just not a glamour candidate. His club CV is about as good as it can be for a young manager. Wasn't he up at Motherwell too, and did well enough as far as I can recall?

Could do ok and it'd be interesting if he did indeed reconfigure the youth set up. Despite some good honest hard work and a seemingly impressive grass roots programme, our underage teams' performances have been in decline yet the quality of some of the players is still good. We need to reinstigate a culture of success at underage level.

I'd be underwhelmed by his appointment as he's still in the formative stage in his career but I'd be open to giving him a chance. He could be the next David Moyes.

OwlsFan
05/02/2008, 10:14 AM
I agree. A young up and coming manager (albeit a blue nose) compared to Father Time and Grand Father Time. Surely those (including some RTE PAnelists) who were supporting Jewell will now also support Davies.

Wouldn't be the worst appointment in the world, although I assume the Scottish FA had a look at him and said "no thanks".

Stuttgart88
05/02/2008, 10:14 AM
And he hasn't ever been relegated with SWFC.

eirebhoy
05/02/2008, 10:17 AM
Now it seems we are to be managed by Billy Davies, sacked (albeit unfairly imo) from Derby County.
It doesn't seem like we're to be managed by Davies. Why the hysteria over this while nothing was made of the news that McCarthy was interviewed a few weeks ago?

Stuttgart88
05/02/2008, 10:17 AM
I assume the Scottish FA had a look at him and said "no thanks".
But they had plenty of other good indigenous options. I think Burley is a great choice for example and, for the Scots, several of the other candidates would have been good. I'd be less impressed with McGhee for Ireland, but for Scotland he'd be good, for example.

macdermesser
05/02/2008, 10:19 AM
I agree. A young up and coming manager (albeit a blue nose) compared to Father Time and Grand Father Time. Surely those (including some RTE PAnelists) who were supporting Jewell will now also support Davies.

Wouldn't be the worst appointment in the world, although I assume the Scottish FA had a look at him and said "no thanks".

other way around

citizenerased
05/02/2008, 10:23 AM
id prefer Billy Davies anyday over el Tel..He is a proven motivator, well organised, and hungry..Still Trappa brady combo is the best!

OwlsFan
05/02/2008, 3:29 PM
And he hasn't ever been relegated with SWFC.

:D I think Jewell was given the heave hoo by "mutual consent" before he suffered that ignominy but he was well on the way at the time.

Rovers fan
05/02/2008, 3:56 PM
WOW!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Liverpool have one of the best away records in the EPL. It's more likely to get the boss the sack.

Jewell has won f all for 2 months against Blackburn, Wigan, Preston et al at home. How would he fare against Italy, Bulgaria and Montenegro?? :confused:

That has to be one of the most naive posts i have ever read. I think the expectations of liverpool are slightly higher than the expectations of wigan.

the doc
05/02/2008, 7:23 PM
From what I'm hearing over here looks like Billy has got the job!

NeilMcD
05/02/2008, 7:26 PM
Were you talking to his agent, he has not even been interviewed yet.

the doc
05/02/2008, 7:31 PM

No some of the people he has worked with!

Rovers fan
05/02/2008, 8:05 PM

were you talking to the selection panel?

soccerc
05/02/2008, 8:11 PM

If people seriously believe Davies is the right man for the job then I give up.

tetsujin1979
05/02/2008, 8:19 PM
Tips on the new manager have been banned on boards.ie, unless you provide proof.
Any chance we can implement a similar policy here?

NeilMcD
05/02/2008, 8:35 PM
How can someone provide proof really, I agree it can get annoying but to honest its not really a workable solution

tetsujin1979
05/02/2008, 8:38 PM
How can someone provide proof really, I agree it can get annoying but to honest its not really a workable solution
how about that at the very least you provide a link to a newspaper report claiming that Davies (or whoever) will be appointed?
None of this "from what I hear"/"a cab driver last night told me"/"my mate's cousin knows the guy that used to date John Delaney's niece" rubbish

shaneker
05/02/2008, 9:37 PM
If its a choice between Davies now or waiting until the end of the season for (ideally) Trapp or someone else who may become available, I choose waiting. Whoever said 'he would still be in a job if he hadn't got them promoted' was spot on - a mediocre manager who belongs in a mediocre division - not international football.

mypost
05/02/2008, 9:40 PM

Are you running their website?? :confused: :eek:

"The Football Association of Ireland wishes to clarify several points.

No person has been offered the job.....The first announcement of the appointment of the next manager will be made on the FAI website."

Comprendez?? :confused:

RogerMilla
06/02/2008, 7:46 AM
if it is billy davis i will be disgusted , pants manager

Deckydee
06/02/2008, 8:40 AM
I disagree!

Top manager!

Used to working with partial professionals and getting them promoted out of the championship.

Well suited for the ROI :p

OwlsFan
06/02/2008, 9:22 AM
Here's what you said about Paul Jewell:

I think international football is very like cup football , you don't want the minnows to beat you and you need to pull off shocks against the big teams .
I would broadly accept jewell as our manager on a two year deal , he would definitely leave us in a better state than he finds us regardless of whether he takes us to the world cup in africa,

Here's what you say about Davies

if it is billy davis i will be disgusted , pants manager.

Please distinguish.

Larks
06/02/2008, 9:26 AM
Jewell had a good first year in the premiership with wigan.
Davies only one one game, didnt survive the season and had them relegated before the season was barely started imo.

OwlsFan
06/02/2008, 9:59 AM
Jewell had a good first year in the premiership with wigan.
Davies only one one game, didnt survive the season and had them relegated before the season was barely started imo.

And has Jewell fared any better at Derby?

Greenforever
06/02/2008, 10:06 AM
how about that at the very least you provide a link to a newspaper report claiming that Davies (or whoever) will be appointed?
None of this "from what I hear"/"a cab driver last night told me"/"my mate's cousin knows the guy that used to date John Delaney's niece" rubbish

So The Star read my rant on another website etc that the pope has been offered the job, they print it as being a relaible source and then i can post here

GuisaSaigon
06/02/2008, 10:16 AM
They might as well interview Roddy Collins if they are going to seriously consider Billy Feckin Davies!:mad: