PDA

View Full Version : Billy Davies?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

tetsujin1979
06/02/2008, 11:00 AM
So The Star read my rant on another website etc that the pope has been offered the job, they print it as being a relaible source and then i can post here

would you really take the Star as a reliable source?

jmurphyc
06/02/2008, 11:36 AM
I don't see why there's so much animosity towards Davies. Whilst he isn't the best candidate in the world, he is a good up and coming young manager. Maybe in a few years time he'll be completely off our radar and have failed as a manager, but I would say that is very unlikely. He's done an excellent job at most of the clubs he's been with - Derby were pretty much doomed to relegation before the season began. Would any of Mourinho, Cappello, Ferguson have kept them up? I doubt it. If he got the job then he may be unsuited to international management and completely fail but he could also be a resounding success. If he gets the job he'll have my complete support but anyway, I doubt it will be him who gets it.

galwayhoop
06/02/2008, 11:37 AM
...."my mate's cousin knows the guy that used to date John Delaney's niece" rubbish

well I wouldn't exactly call it dating, if you know what I mean ;):D:D

as_i_say
06/02/2008, 11:50 AM
I just love that word candidate. Makes it seem like the whole thing is actually not a farce.

Noelys Guitar
07/02/2008, 3:52 PM
latest from Rte
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0207/ireland2.html

NeilMcD
07/02/2008, 3:53 PM
I dont understand that headline at all there is not quote to suggest it. Bit of a non story really

mypost
07/02/2008, 7:55 PM
Who is picking the boss?? The players, or the committee??

Who or what the players want is irrelevant really. We want the best appointment for Irish football, not a quick fix. And if it takes until September, let it be. If they don't like it, tough. Someone else (pref. playing here) will gladly take their place.

onceahoop
07/02/2008, 8:50 PM
Who is picking the boss?? The players, or the committee??

Who or what the players want is irrelevant really. We want the best appointment for Irish football, not a quick fix. And if it takes until September, let it be. If they don't like it, tough. Someone else (pref. playing here) will gladly take their place.

I seem to recall that the three wise men would recommend a manager and this recommendation would be accepted by the Board of Management. However there now appear to be two factions on the Board. Those who want Venables and those who want any one else bar him. Given the Machiavellian inclinations of the FAI I would not be surprised if Trappatoni's imminent appointment was deliberately leaked to embarass the man and make him think twice. Is Billy Davies name been mentioned just more smokescreens been thrown out to fudge the issue? The whole process has been hijacked by some members of the board imo.

I would have thought that a managerial appointment well before September was imperative as we start our qualifying campaign then.

craig7042
07/02/2008, 11:17 PM
I don't see why there's so much animosity towards Davies. Whilst he isn't the best candidate in the world, he is a good up and coming young manager. Maybe in a few years time he'll be completely off our radar and have failed as a manager, but I would say that is very unlikely. He's done an excellent job at most of the clubs he's been with - Derby were pretty much doomed to relegation before the season began. Would any of Mourinho, Cappello, Ferguson have kept them up? I doubt it. If he got the job then he may be unsuited to international management and completely fail but he could also be a resounding success. If he gets the job he'll have my complete support but anyway, I doubt it will be him who gets it.

I dont understand the Billy Davies thing at all... No matter how you look at it its wrong. Dunphy would eat him for dinner.. No CV at all in my opinion and I cant see him motivating top players.

cavan_fan
08/02/2008, 6:52 AM
I dont understand the Billy Davies thing at all... No matter how you look at it its wrong. Dunphy would eat him for dinner.. No CV at all in my opinion and I cant see him motivating top players.

He has a better CV than any previous Ireland manager (not saying much)

OwlsFan
08/02/2008, 7:10 AM

Oh, that should be the guiding factor should it? Whether Drunkphy approves of him or not :rolleyes: The latter was a big supporter of Jewell. Please differentiate between the two, bearing in mind that Jewell performance in the Premiership with Derby is as bad as Davies' and the latter got the sack for his.

irishfan86
08/02/2008, 7:17 AM
Oh, that should be the guiding factor should it? Whether Drunkphy approves of him or not :rolleyes: The latter was a big supporter of Jewell. Please differentiate between the two, bearing in mind that Jewell performance in the Premiership with Derby is as bad as Davies' and the latter got the sack for his.

To be fair, Derby are crap and there isn't a manager in the world who could save them from relegation.

Jewell should be judged from his days with Wigan, and I think he did a good job there. Was never behind the idea of him becoming our manager.

Davies on the other hand brought a really **** Derby team into the Premiership, when realistically they probably should have been mid table at best.

As I've said here before, I'd be behind a Davies appointment. He got the best out of a bad bunch at Darby, and maybe he could do the same for us.

jmurphyc
08/02/2008, 8:11 AM

So if a manager doesn't have a 'CV' then they can't motivate players? When Mourinho, Benitez and Wenger all started out none of them had CVs. None of their players would have heard of them. Mark Hughes may have been a high profile player but he'd never managed a team. Anyway, I would personally say that Billy Daviers does have a CV, and a decent one at that. It could go wrong but I personally think that he would be a better option than Venables, as he has more experience (and success) in the modern game.

Noelys Guitar
08/02/2008, 11:07 AM

Dunphy for all his bluster rarely gets things right. Wrong about Platini/Charlton/McCarthy. I would do the opposite of what Eamo wants.