PDA

View Full Version : Kilkenny might not be around next season.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Philly
05/01/2008, 6:30 PM
Did anybody else see the article in the Star today? Mr Rhatigan is no longer able to run the club due to ill health, and is struggling to find anybody else to take over the reigns. The club has a manageable debt of 50k, but that is still a debt that is hard to pay off when you are Kilkenny City I guess. Their wage bill last season was 2k. The article says the FAI are following things closely but negotiations with a potential investor have broken down and the club may not be around for next season if nobody comes in to invest or run it.

Sad stuff. Hopefully somebody saves the club. :ball:

Lim till i die
05/01/2008, 6:33 PM
Damn it.

Would really miss Kilkenny :(

The cynic in me also reckons the FAI wont be overly concerned with those A-League applicants waiting in the wings.............

LeixlipRed
05/01/2008, 6:38 PM
It'd be very sad if they went out of business. Small club with very little support but the few times I've seen them they always have one or two smashing young players

Keen2win
05/01/2008, 6:45 PM
Not a nice photo:eek:

A face
05/01/2008, 6:52 PM

What? A photo with the article, what is it?

Anyone got a link?

Philly
05/01/2008, 6:55 PM

Ha no it wasn't. The Star had a big photo of the older stand in Buckley Park, with about 20 bored old souls sitting quietly in it. Gets the point across though I guess. :o

A face
05/01/2008, 6:56 PM
Ha no it wasn't. The Star had a big photo of the older stand in Buckley Park, with about 20 bored old souls sitting quietly in it. Gets the point across though I guess. :o

Why didn't they show the new stand? typical

Longfordian
05/01/2008, 7:02 PM
It's hard to believe that there's nobody in a place the size of Kilkenny that could take over the running of the club. 50k isn't an insurmountable debt really if a new regime was taking charge. They could surely borrow some money on the strength of their ground if creditors are really pushing hard.

DmanDmythDledge
05/01/2008, 7:07 PM
It's hard to believe that there's nobody in a place the size of Kilkenny that could take over the running of the club. 50k isn't an insurmountable debt really if a new regime was taking charge.
Wasn't there some rumour about Roddy wanting to bring investors with him...

holidaysong
05/01/2008, 7:09 PM

Someone posted that on a different thread alright...

Philly
05/01/2008, 7:13 PM

Yeah the article explained negotiations with potential investors had broken down, was thinking that Roddy might be involved. When one can't buy a job, buy a club.

gael353
05/01/2008, 7:27 PM
Why didn't they show the new stand? typical

Because the last time a photographer was in Buckley park the new stand wasnt even built!

half_full
05/01/2008, 7:39 PM
Would be sorry to see them go, hopefully they can pull true this. A debt of 50k is nothing really, anyone with a bit of cash to spare could literally have a senior football club right now if they wanted.

holidaysong
05/01/2008, 7:50 PM
Would be sorry to see them go, hopefully they can pull true this. A debt of 50k is nothing really, anyone with a bit of cash to spare could literally have a senior football club right now if they wanted.

One could but only dream... Holidaysong F.C. :D

Den Perry
05/01/2008, 8:06 PM
Damn it.

Would really miss Kilkenny :(

The cynic in me also reckons the FAI wont be overly concerned with those A-League applicants waiting in the wings.............

what would happen last seasons players....?

Nipper
05/01/2008, 8:07 PM
It's hard to believe that there's nobody in a place the size of Kilkenny that could take over the running of the club. 50k isn't an insurmountable debt really if a new regime was taking charge. They could surely borrow some money on the strength of their ground if creditors are really pushing hard.

There's money in tham there woods. I think you might have hit the nail on the head there young man.

Partizan
05/01/2008, 8:13 PM
There's money in tham there woods. I think you might have hit the nail on the head there young man.

Yes but how will they pay it back if they have no cash flow and most importantly, nobody running the club.

Do they own Buckley lock stock and barrell?

half_full
05/01/2008, 8:16 PM
AFAIK they do, bought years ago before land prices became insane

Nipper
05/01/2008, 8:23 PM
Think they do alright, and they're throwing their hands in the air and taking the developers shilling. Pity.

soccerc
05/01/2008, 8:29 PM
I recall the evening vividly, 12 April 1997, when Kilkenny won the first division and promotion.

There was a great buzz about the club and then, in 2001 when the new stand was built I felt that they had a solid foundation on which to build their future.

It would be a shame if they had to fold and for some reason can't see the 'authorities' going too far out of their way to assist.

Partizan
05/01/2008, 8:35 PM
Think they do alright, and they're throwing their hands in the air and taking the developers shilling. Pity.

Were the talks sucessfull? did both parties reach an agreement?

Nipper
05/01/2008, 8:40 PM
Just a guess. :o

I'm sure that land is worth a fortune.

Longfordian
05/01/2008, 8:43 PM
So, the Kilkenny directors would be the ones to pocket a lump of cash if they sell it..Wonder if there'd be any talk of a Bohs-esque deal where they get another ground built for them?. Doesn't look that way..

Partizan
05/01/2008, 8:49 PM
If nothing happens over the next 2-3 weeks, Kilkenny's fate will be sealed.

Yes the land would be worth something, but do you know where it is?

Its about 3 miles out of town in a farmer's yard, not an attractive option for a developer. If they were closer into town then things would be alot different.

Nipper
05/01/2008, 8:54 PM
I do know where it is, and it's perfect for development. Green fields and woods everywhere, and as you say, only 2 or 3 miles from one of our biggest "cities".

Buffalo Saint
05/01/2008, 8:56 PM
Would be an awful shame if they folded. Buckley Park has a special place in the hearts of all Pats fans. It's so hard for soccer to compete with GAA in a place like Kilkenny. Funnily enough, Kilkenny people love to support the national team. I was there in 1990 when we got knocked out of the World Cup and the pub was jammers with locals. Pride in the country but feck the local side....that's what Irish soccer has to deal with.

Paddyfield
05/01/2008, 9:44 PM
Did anybody else see the article in the Star today? Mr Rhatigan is no longer able to run the club due to ill health, and is struggling to find anybody else to take over the reigns.

Sad to hear Jim isn't well. He is a very nice man who loves his club. He was even manager of KCFC for a time. I met him in Terryland a few times.

I hope he has a speedy recovery.

KianD
05/01/2008, 10:00 PM
Would miss the whole "bringing more supporters than they have home fans" element of the games there, the gravel car park, the collapsing toilets, the club shop out of the 1970s.. It was real football, something we eL fans often claim across the board for the league....

KianD
05/01/2008, 10:02 PM
There was a great buzz about the club and then, in 2001 when the new stand was built I felt that they had a solid foundation on which to build their future.

Was it that long ago? :eek:

Still not "finished", per se - whatevers underneath it, I presume new dressing rooms, still not open when we were down for the last game of the season.

half_full
05/01/2008, 10:09 PM
Well said KianD

fbtn
05/01/2008, 10:12 PM
Devastated for Jim Rhatigan if they fold. A real gentleman and gave his life to keeping senior football alive in Kilkenny.

Real shame if they go under.

Woody
05/01/2008, 10:45 PM
It's a fair shame if they go out of existance. The people of Kilkenny don't know how lucky they are to have such a sporting outlet such as a senior football club in their TOWN and not enough seem to give a sh it about what's happening. Pitty.

max power
05/01/2008, 10:53 PM
It's a fair shame if they go out of existance. The people of Kilkenny don't know how lucky they are to have such a sporting outlet such as a senior football club in their TOWN and not enough seem to give a sh it about what's happening. Pitty.

city you mean. Was really looking to the away game down there this season. Hope it is sorted out.

Terry
05/01/2008, 11:02 PM
would be sad news indeed, one of my best memories down there was when myself and a few others were downing a few cans when one of the stewards walked up to us, looked at the cans we were drinking and asked would we mind giving him one as he was bored out of his head !

Bunny Kelly
06/01/2008, 12:04 AM
It's been hard to support City the last few years when the team has been such a shambles for all the good work done off the pitch. City will never get a big following given hurling place in the summer but for those that do go, too often the players have been so far below a repectable standard so it's hard to keep coming each week. We don't expect to challenging at the top of the table but a competitive side is all we'd ask for each week to boost interest in City, Pat Scully's team is the only one to offer this in the last few years.

I don't want to harsh on City because it wouldn't be right without them in the league, especially after the great memories most notable in the 96/97 campaign when we unbeaten at home for the season, a year that included Richie Hale going on a scoring blitz when the Hale-Bopp comet was in the sky (8 goals in 5 games I think), a year that gave us so many legends, but things had to come to a head as continuing as we have done for the last few years isn't viable.

mypost
06/01/2008, 2:14 AM
The sad fact about Kilkenny is, nobody cares about football, sorry (wrong language) soccer there.

If one of their GAA clubs were 50k in debt, there would be a queue looking to help. :mad: :o

Maroon 7
06/01/2008, 4:09 AM
Must be hard for Kilkenny alright. I have a few friends from there and the place is absolutely hurling daft. Not even gaelic football can get a foothold there so you can just imagine how hard it is for the soccer team. Pity as it's a lovely town.

blackholesun
06/01/2008, 8:42 AM
If the worst comes to the worth the FAI should step in to make sure the ground is not lost and that soccer continues to compete v GAA in Kilkenny.

I am sure the GAA would be in like a shot to buy the ground for one of their own if they had the chance.

bhs

sonofstan
06/01/2008, 9:31 AM
Pity. Shows how difficult it is to grow league football outside its traditional strongholds - apart from Galway and Longford (and both have had football teams outside the league going back to the '20s), there are no teams in last seasons premier division from anywhere that didn't have a league team 50 years ago.

As blackholesun says, the FAI should be taking to the fight to places like Kilkenny, Wexford, Kerry and Mayo - the GAA are perfectly willing to fight for every inch in Dublin

Partizan
06/01/2008, 11:19 AM
If the worst comes to worst, KK can drop down to the A League and go amateur while Fingal can step up if they wish. :ball:

holidaysong
06/01/2008, 11:29 AM
...there are no teams in last seasons premier division from anywhere that didn't have a league team 50 years ago.

Drogheda only got a league team in 1963.

sadloserkid
06/01/2008, 11:32 AM
what would happen last seasons players....?

For the most part, and without wishing to appear overly harsh, they'd return to junior football from whence they came.

I hope Kilkenny pull through this anyway. Always a nice spot. Even when Scully had them playing well they had a load of kids in there actually making noise and supporting as opposed to being a shower of irritants as they tend to be in most ground.

Magicme
06/01/2008, 1:17 PM
Gutted to hear this. We rely on them to finish below us to make us look better. Seriously though, it would be terrible to lose another team.

Bunny Kelly
06/01/2008, 2:03 PM
I didnt see the article, is it a case that financially there's a big problem or is it the club needs someone to manage/run the club now that Jimmy is no longer able?

Buller
06/01/2008, 2:07 PM
I didnt see the article, is it a case that financially there's a big problem or is it the club needs someone to manage/run the club now that Jimmy is no longer able?

Well both... But they're not in too much debt (50k)

el punter
06/01/2008, 2:29 PM
If the 1000 Active members on foot.ie coughed up 50 quid each we could go some way to saving the club.

Poor Student
06/01/2008, 2:59 PM
If the 1000 Active members on foot.ie coughed up 50 quid each we could go some way to saving the club.

The active list doesn't necessarily mean they're that active. They may have only logged in once in the last couple of months. Add to that the non-eL fans and those who could be bothered and you'd probably take the figure down to 100. If someone trustworthy were to organise something and you knew it would make a meaningful difference then I wouldn't be adverse to making a small donation.

Lim till i die
06/01/2008, 3:03 PM

And if ye all did it for Limerick we might get a license ;)

Poor Student
06/01/2008, 3:06 PM
And if ye all did it for Limerick we might get a license ;)

If we all did it for Galway we may make up the shortfall in their budget.;)

Lim till i die
06/01/2008, 3:07 PM
If we all did it for Galway we may make up the shortfall in their budget.;)

Oh you Obsessive you ;)