PDA

View Full Version : US Presidential Elections

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

jebus
16/10/2008, 11:40 AM
Dodge pretty much summed up the night if people haven't watched it yet. I thought McCain did well in the opening exchanges but completely lost his way hilst talking about negative ad campaigning (can't believe he accused Obama of starting them). He sounded like a bitter old man for the rest of the night, even looking as if someone had roused him from his mid afternoon sleep at times, and then Obama slaughtered him on healthcare (worst beating I've ever seen a top ranking politician take in a live forum).

Game, set and match Obama :)

strangeirish
16/10/2008, 1:54 PM
McCain certainly started out well and seemed to be in control for the first 30 minutes, but after that, it was all downhill from there. Obama showed tremendous discipline throughout the debate and none more so than when it came to the VP picks. He could have skewered Palin, but obviously thought the better of it.

He's still way ahead in the polls and it seems that McCain had one last chance to inject some doubt about Obama, but failed miserably.

Bald Student
16/10/2008, 2:28 PM
McCain certainly started out well and seemed to be in control for the first 30 minutes, but after that, it was all downhill from there. Obama showed tremendous discipline throughout the debate and none more so than when it came to the VP picks. He could have skewered Palin, but obviously thought the better of it.

He's still way ahead in the polls and it seems that McCain had one last chance to inject some doubt about Obama, but failed miserably.
I thought McCain fell between 2 stools on the two attacks he's been making about Ayres and Acorn. He should have either not brought them up or gone on a proper attack and told the people what Obama had done wrong. By mentioning them but not challenging Obama's explanations/excuses (delete according to your own opinions) he came across as a bit desperate, throwing these things out in hope rather than in expectation.

strangeirish
16/10/2008, 5:17 PM
McCain continued to bring it back to "joe the plumber" who he reckoned would be worse off under Obama. It was ridiculously annoying. While I thought McCain was shpaing up for a big win at the start he basically just lost it a little, and Obama definitely came across as more "presidential".

Say it ain't so, Joe. Was 'Joe the plumber' a republican plant? Idle speculation maybe, but have a read any way. Click. (http://tinyurl.com/47tvb3)

If this turns out to be true, dirty deeds, done dirt cheap, springs to mind.

pete
16/10/2008, 9:42 PM
Say it ain't so, Joe. Was 'Joe the plumber' a republican plant?

Worse still he isn't even a plumber or at least an illegal one! :eek:

UPDATE: MSNBC has confirmed that Wurzelbacher has no plumbing license.

Dodge
17/10/2008, 2:29 PM
http://www.washtimes.com/news/2008/oct/17/palin-go-snl-weekend/

Palin to appear on SNL. Should be interesting

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/16/AR2008101603436.html

The Washington post strongly backs Obama for president (no big surprise)

Aberdonian Stu
17/10/2008, 3:08 PM
I won at McCain Bingo last night. Democrats Abroad had a screening of the debate last night. One of the members handed around bingo cards based on clichéd terms McCain would use in the debate. His use of 'Country First' completed my 5-in-a-row for Bingo. No prize but it was a good laugh.

dancinpants
17/10/2008, 4:41 PM
I won at McCain Bingo last night. Democrats Abroad had a screening of the debate last night. One of the members handed around bingo cards based on clichéd terms McCain would use in the debate. His use of 'Country First' completed my 5-in-a-row for Bingo. No prize but it was a good laugh.

Whaaat??? :confused: "My Friends" didn't win it? :eek:

Aberdonian Stu
17/10/2008, 5:56 PM
Very good :D

It was gas. I'd say around two thirds of my sheet was filled in, had four different routes to victory but then he had a 5-10 minute spell without using a single new cliché, just recycling ones he'd already used before coming good in the end.

strangeirish
19/10/2008, 2:52 AM
Maybe a good reason not to put too much faith in polls. A poll released Friday has McCain leading Obama by 52% to 46% in the traditional red state of Missouri. However, large rallies don't always equate to cast ballots, but you have to admit, 100 thousand people turning out for Obama on Saturday in Missouri, is quite impressive.

http://s.wsj.net/media/obamastlouis_Q_20081018135311.jpg

dahamsta
19/10/2008, 3:15 PM
The wife comments: "Pity there wasn't some of those postal workers around." ROFL.

strangeirish
19/10/2008, 3:58 PM
The wife comments: "Pity there wasn't some of those postal workers around." ROFL.
As in, mailing in your vote???

dahamsta
19/10/2008, 4:09 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_postal

strangeirish
19/10/2008, 4:31 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_postal
That's what I thought at first, but didn't get it. Edited my post to clarify the crowds turned out for Obama.;)

dahamsta
19/10/2008, 5:56 PM
Dammit, now I look like a moron. Again. :)

Obama truly is a rockstar in politics, and I know I'm going to regret supporting him in 2-3 years. But dammit, I do.

adam

Angus
20/10/2008, 7:36 AM
Just watching Powell on MTP.

The story here, natch, is that Powell has endorsed Obama.

What was less reported was the withering summary of the GOP he has given - the most effective, most damning discussion of the GOP I have ever seen

Incredible TV
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/27265729#27265729

Up to approx 13 mins is the most effectively withering dimissing of the GOP

NB - note the constant use of the phrase "intellectual vigour" - a pop at W and Mc

Dodge
21/10/2008, 2:44 PM
An article on Obama and black votes to swing congress and senate seats? (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/20/AR2008102002601.html?hpid=topnews)

Has anybody a source for the amount of newly registered voters based on party affiliation? Every article I read gives democrats at least 4/5 to every 1 republican. IF that’s nationwide (or at least in the "swing" states) Obama might win without people switching from republican to democrat

strangeirish
21/10/2008, 2:53 PM
An article on Obama and black votes to swing congress and senate seats? (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/20/AR2008102002601.html?hpid=topnews)

Has anybody a source for the amount of newly registered voters based on party affiliation? Every article I read gives democrats at least 4/5 to every 1 republican. IF that’s nationwide (or at least in the "swing" states) Obama might win without people switching from republican to democrat
Don't have a source, but on our local news here this morning they said, in Florida, the Democrats have 600k new voter registrations compared to 250k for the Repugs.

HarpoJoyce
22/10/2008, 12:37 AM

Don't have a source, but on our local news here this morning they said, in Florida, the Democrats have 600k new voter registrations compared to 250k for the Repugs.

Evening Herald (Dublin) article from last week, stated 90,000 new Democrat registered voters in Nevada (or 90,000 more than Republicans). But it emphasised that the new voters had to turn up and vote as they had registered. It stated that with 90,000 more voters, than the Democrats had a good chance of over-turning the 21,000 votes Bush beat Kerry by in 2004.

Also, the Herald mentioned a returning Republican Senator Terry published a letter from a Terry-Obama voter in a Nevada(?) newspaper.

What is the usually deadline for voters to register in any of the ballots?

strangeirish
22/10/2008, 1:47 PM
What is the usually deadline for voters to register in any of the ballots?
It varies from state to state. Florida is 29 days before, Ohio is 30 days etc...

See here (http://www.declareyourself.com/voting_faq/state_by_state_info_2.html#O)

dfx-
22/10/2008, 2:19 PM
Evening Herald (Dublin) article from last week, stated 90,000 new Democrat registered voters in Nevada (or 90,000 more than Republicans).

You may as well have quoted The Onion. ;)

HarpoJoyce
22/10/2008, 3:12 PM
You may as well have quoted The Onion. ;)

I was concious of what I was doing at the time.
I didn't want people to presume it was the Evening Herald (Reno) or something.

It varies from state to state. Florida is 29 days before, Ohio is 30 days etc...

See here (http://www.declareyourself.com/voting_faq/state_by_state_info_2.html#O)

Thanks. That's very concise.

dfx-
22/10/2008, 4:01 PM
I was concious of what I was doing at the time.

This makes it even more reprehensible:eek:

Step 1: If it's from the Evening Herald and you want to make a serious point, never admit your source is the Evening Herald :)

pete
23/10/2008, 10:44 AM
BBC said last night that as many as 2/3 of voters may have already voted before election day due to huge increase in absentee ballots. This can probably only help Obama win.

strangeirish
23/10/2008, 4:02 PM
As McCain continues to distance himself from Bush, he just keeps getting closer.:D

u-vaCnjFQhA

jebus
23/10/2008, 5:18 PM
:D:D

How quiet did it go when he said he couldn't agree with them more

Angus
23/10/2008, 9:26 PM
I will re-post this on November 5 where I will repost this with glee or looking like an idiot.

I have never seen a campaign run this badly. First Big Mc turns nasty Mc - the GOP candidate with the highest appeal to Dems and Ind's has turned into a sub Limbaugh, Hannity demagogue.

Please listen to the interview below - I have never heard anything so illiterate, so incoherent, so much babbling, so much complete drivel.

For some reason, the GOP think the Roive playbook plays here - please remember Rove got beaten by Gore in 2000 and barely beat a staggeringly inept candidate in Kerry on '04.

They preside over the worst regime in US history, they come up against probably the most articulate, but most inexperienced and, let's be frank here, unwhitest, candidate ever, they assume the Rove playbook can win again ?

The GOP seems to have this wide family of Bill Kristol, Limbaugh, Krauthammer etc who wield extraordinary influence - Kristol is reckoned to be behind the Palin pick - which got lucky in 2000 and with the uber fascist Cheney at the helm, they buggered up the world.

Also remember these people went nuts and tried to impeach Clinton for, eh, lying about a skirt - they went nuts - these people are nuts. They nominate Mc, in an intensely skilful move but then he runs to the right.

But the question remains - why do they think they can win with the clueless Palin and the staggeringly overplaying his 15 minutes Joe the For F*** sake Plumber - WTF ???

I have never seen anything this bad - they may win and if they do, I will repost this and look like an idiot - but BO has run a very skilful campaign - he has managed to pcik Biden - a gaffe prone guy but who has credibility - he can say anything he likes and nobody cares because of the clueless inarticulate dummy in the attached.

Why does she keep saying "also" ? Jaysus - the GOP has an illustrious history - Lincoln etc etc - but this lot are mad.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/21/palin.sitroom.transcript/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

Newryrep
24/10/2008, 7:58 AM
For some reason, the GOP think the Roive playbook plays here - please remember Rove got beaten by Gore in 2000 and barely beat a staggeringly inept candidate in Kerry on '04.

They preside over the worst regime in US history, they come up against probably the most articulate, but most inexperienced and, let's be frank here, unwhitest, candidate ever, they assume the Rove playbook can win again ?

Yet in Florida the Democrats are only up 2% on them, although the other keys states seem to be going the Democrats way eg. Ohio. I would like to see a 6-10 point margin in the swing states just to be on the safe side. Surprised they have nt pushed the line about the Democrats controlling the Whitehouse and Congress The Guardian has a good site if you are interested

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/?utm_source=rcpwidget&utm_medium=widget&utm_campaign=guardian2

jmurphyc
24/10/2008, 10:16 AM
Yet in Florida the Democrats are only up 2% on them, although the other keys states seem to be going the Democrats way eg. Ohio. I would like to see a 6-10 point margin in the swing states just to be on the safe side. Surprised they have nt pushed the line about the Democrats controlling the Whitehouse and Congress The Guardian has a good site if you are interested

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/?utm_source=rcpwidget&utm_medium=widget&utm_campaign=guardian2

I dn't think that Florida is particularly crucial to Obama winning the election. He could easily lose it and go on to win overall. Besides, it's not really too much of a surprise that Obama is "struggling" in florida as most of the state is similar to the rest of the southern states. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I heard that he was miles ahead of McCain in terms of the electoral college projections, something like 80-100 ahead.

pete
24/10/2008, 11:15 AM
I don't think that Florida is particularly crucial to Obama winning the election..

I agree. On the other hand if McCain loses Florida seems impossible to win overall election.

The Republicans had a woeful list of candidates for this election. I suspect better candidates stayed away knowing the difficulty of getting elected on Bush coat tails. Maybe Romney would have had a go with the economy collapsing but the likes of Guiliani & Huckabee would never have stood a chance.

Newryrep
24/10/2008, 11:33 AM
I agree. On the other hand if McCain loses Florida seems impossible to win overall election..

Dont disagree but after what happened in 2000 and 2004 it would be revenge for local Democrats - and you would have to ask yourself if the Democrats didnt take what would it take for a Republican to lose it ?

Major gaffe regarding Cuba ?, gay love triangle, financial scandal ?

It could turn into a Kansas, ie no matter how **** the economy is /the republicans are they will always get elected

I knew Kerry was in trouble in 2004 when Florida was 'too close to call' on election night, after 2000 you would have thought it should of been a landslide.

Pike B
24/10/2008, 11:45 AM
Would it be at all possible for one of you guys to put up a poll and let us vote Obama or Mc Cain?? Just to see what the general consesus is amongst us lowly football fans.

Dodge
24/10/2008, 11:49 AM
adding a poll...

jebus
24/10/2008, 11:51 AM
Who would I vote for?

Obama all the way

Ron Paul would get my vote before McCain

Dodge
24/10/2008, 11:51 AM
Done. Good idea

Pike B
24/10/2008, 12:06 PM
Done. Good idea
Nice one lads.

Oh and Obama all the way..

pete
24/10/2008, 12:14 PM
A poll of Irish people means nothing as we can't possibly be familiar with the multitude of domestic issues.

Neither candidate gives me much hope they can solve the economic situation which has the most impact on us. Looks like Obama will win alongside Democrat controlled Senate & Congress. I read that if the Democrats get 60 seats in the Senate they will be able to pass any bill they like. Seems generally US voters don't like to have one party control all areas of government. The upside is might make republicans get back to basics & drop the religious nutters.

Dodge
24/10/2008, 12:15 PM
A poll of Irish people means nothing as we can't possibly be familiar with the multitude of domestic issues

Most wouldn't affect us so we can vote on the topics that will affect us, and we know a bit about. Its only a poll, its not supposed to swing the election one way or the other

Pike B
24/10/2008, 12:18 PM
Most wouldn't affect us so we can vote on the topics that will affect us, and we know a bit about. Its only a poll, its not supposed to swing the election one way or the other
Aww damn, and here I thought we'd make a difference... ;)

pete
24/10/2008, 12:29 PM
Its only a poll, its not supposed to swing the election one way or the other

Not sure about that. Surely American voters see how Irish people on foot.ie vote before casting theres? :p

strangeirish
24/10/2008, 12:46 PM
Yet in Florida the Democrats are only up 2% on them, although the other keys states seem to be going the Democrats way eg.
The thing to understand about Florida is the there are a lot of retirees in the southern part of the state who'll identify with McCain. In the northern part, there is Billy Bob and Mary Sue and their 'redneck', gun toting, Amurica lovin', Obama is a terrorist spewing hillbillies, who'll identify with...wait for it....wait for it...McCain! In the middle of the state there are oranges, Mickey Mouse and plenty of nuts.

All things considered, it's amazing how well Obama is doing in Florida.

Dodge
24/10/2008, 12:56 PM
BTW There's a typo in the poll.

Option 3 should read "One of the other loonies"

If Obama wins Florida, he can thank Sarah Silverman

Newryrep
24/10/2008, 12:57 PM
The thing to understand about Florida is the there are a lot of retirees in the southern part of the state who'll identify with McCain. In the northern part, there is Billy Bob and Mary Sue and their 'redneck', gun toting, Amurica lovin', Obama is a terrorist spewing hillbillies, who'll identify with...wait for it....wait for it...McCain! In the middle of the state there are oranges, Mickey Mouse and plenty of nuts.

All things considered, it's amazing how well Obama is doing in Florida.

I thought these retirees would of most lkely come from the North especially the northeast ie New York, New England etc ie historically democratic area's

pete
24/10/2008, 1:04 PM
I thought these retirees would of most lkely come from the North especially the northeast ie New York, New England etc ie historically democratic area's

With age comes conservatism.

The poll really should have listed the other candidates & not just grouped them into other loonies as this enforces the two party system.

strangeirish
24/10/2008, 1:23 PM
I would assume you're correct here, however, a lot of them come to Florida, weather aside, because it considered a conservative state with a lot of republican controlled local government. Now, having said that, the fact that the economy is in the tank and these retirees have seen their net worth drop dramatically, it is forcing people to actually look at the issues(shocking!). Obama is obviously the benefactor here and couple that with the fact that McCains negative campaign Ads are having little or no effect with these folks, compared to other parts of the state and country. This is part of the reason it is a tight race here in Florida.

Newryrep
24/10/2008, 2:39 PM
With age comes conservatism.

The poll really should have listed the other candidates & not just grouped them into other loonies as this enforces the two party system.

or senility :)

jmurphyc
24/10/2008, 3:11 PM
Well, I voted in the poll. Everyone thinks I'm crazy as actually am voting for "one of the loonies" in the election proper. I prefer Obama, but I still don't particularly like him. I don't feel I can vote for a candidate that has pretty much said he'll invade Afghanistan and could yet do the same with Iran and Pakistan it talks don't go well.

dancinpants
24/10/2008, 5:01 PM
I don't feel I can vote for a candidate that has pretty much said he'll invade Afghanistan and could yet do the same with Iran and Pakistan it talks don't go well.

This is a prime example of people not understanding, that in an election like this Obama has to do a fair bit of pandering to appeal to right leaning independents, and moderate republicans. If Obama didn't take that stance its probable that he'd be behind in the polls right now - despite the economy.

pete
24/10/2008, 5:04 PM
This is a prime example of people not understanding, that in an election like this Obama has to do a fair bit of pandering to appeal to right leaning independents, and moderate republicans. If Obama didn't take that stance its probable that he'd be behind in the polls right now - despite the economy.

You mean he is not going to follow that policy? What else is he saying just to get votes? :confused:

John83
24/10/2008, 5:28 PM
Well, I voted in the poll. Everyone thinks I'm crazy as actually am voting for "one of the loonies" in the election proper. I prefer Obama, but I still don't particularly like him. I don't feel I can vote for a candidate that has pretty much said he'll invade Afghanistan and could yet do the same with Iran and Pakistan it talks don't go well.
You prefer Obama, but you'd rather vote for someone who can't get elected than expressing a preference between the two guys who can? It's not like Obama can offer Ralph Nadar a patch of the White House lawn for picnics in order to secure a majority. It's a crap system, but the way it stands, voting independent is spoiling your vote.