PDA

View Full Version : US Presidential Elections

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

jebus
06/02/2008, 10:01 AM
Very tight in the Democratic nominations, winning California might just swing it for Hilary, I haven't seen the breakdown of the exit polls yet though

pete
06/02/2008, 10:23 AM
Clinton leads now by 100 delegates & she won all the big states bar Illinois & Clorado. I haven't seen the percentages yet. I think Obamas days are numbered as Clinton

Huckabee did very well winning 5 southern states probably increasing his chances of VP deal as McCain could struggle there in the Presidential election.

jebus
06/02/2008, 10:28 AM
well the delegate count isn't in yet, just looked up California and Hilary is running 42 to Obama's 23, so if we can keep that type of spread I don't think he's out yet. In Hilary's home state of Arkansas she only won 2 extra delegates.

Plus you have to keep in mind that at the turn of the year Hilary was up to 20 (and sometimes more) points ahead in a lot of states that she barely won last night, and some she lost.

Romney should give it up though, McCain has won that nomination

dahamsta
06/02/2008, 11:26 AM
Clinotn leads by 80 called delegates, not 100.

beautifulrock
06/02/2008, 11:31 AM
McCain/Huckabee is a very strong pairing if they decide to go with that. The Democrats are in danger of tearing each other to pieces although they seemed to have calmed down in the last week or so.

pete
06/02/2008, 11:55 AM
Delegate totals seem to vary between the different news organisations but maybe this because voting not completed?

CNN have Clinton ahead 193 to 106 on the "Super Delegates" (Democratic officeholders and party officials guaranteed national convention seats; can support the candidate of their choice.) which I think make up about 20% of the convention delegates. In a tight race that is a significant number but it is open to question how they gather that information & they could also change their minds yet I suppose.

I think Clinton still has the party establishment & interest groups such as the trade unions on her side. This might change if they get concerned about Clinton match up against McCain as clearly Obama has more widespread appeal across Independents.

Full Breakdown of Results (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21660914). Weird results as in some states candidates gets more delegates for significantly less votes.

jebus
06/02/2008, 12:25 PM
McCain/Huckabee is a very strong pairing if they decide to go with that. The Democrats are in danger of tearing each other to pieces although they seemed to have calmed down in the last week or so.

Whats the difference there though? The Democrats have done this to each other since '72, only briefly deciding not to tear apart Bill Clinton in 1991/92 (a lot of them would have liked to by reports I've read). I mean when you look at the roll call of some of the people the DNP have torn down because the candidate wasn't to their liking, McGovern and Kerry not getting party support to bring down two of the most unpopular presidents of the modern era, and even Al Gore not getting the full Democratic bandwagon rolling behind him in 2000 (forget about Florida and recounts, Bush and the Republicans should never have been in a position to challenge Gore, and wouldn't have been if the party stood firmly nehind Gore).

I think more and more it's looking like a Republican victory in November, especially when you have Hilary completely alienating Obama's supporters (I doubt the majority of them would vote for her after her antics in the primaries), and Obama threatening to rip up the status quo (McGovern promised the same in '72 and got trounced by the universally hated Richard Nixon after the Demorcatic party left him out to dry to protect their own skins), I can see a McCain/Huckabee ticket walking the nationals

beautifulrock
06/02/2008, 1:00 PM
Whats the difference there though?

Agreed I should have said tearing each other apart again but my basic point was the same as your a MCCain/Huckabee tickets presents a very strong partnership with a very wide appeal from the bible belt to the War mongers. My only reservation at this stage is that the US seems to want "change" what ever that may be. Does McCain as president give them that?

jebus
06/02/2008, 1:14 PM
Agreed I should have said tearing each other apart again but my basic point was the same as your a MCCain/Huckabee tickets presents a very strong partnership with a very wide appeal from the bible belt to the War mongers. My only reservation at this stage is that the US seems to want "change" what ever that may be. Does McCain as president give them that?

He's painted a good picture for himself as a liberal conservative, albeit pro-Iraq war, and many people see him as that, especially when they hear the bible belt dislike him. Sad thing in this day and age is that he is anything but a liberal conservative when you actually look at his policies, but I doubt most people will do that before voting :rolleyes:

Personally I think McCain would rather a McCain/Giulliani ticket, but will be persuaded to go with Huckabee if it gets him into the White House

Ambaiste!
06/02/2008, 2:20 PM
Weird results as in some states candidates gets more delegates for significantly less votes.

It seems that way at first glance alright but I think (and I'm open to correction here) that this probably has something to do with the different kinds of primaries / caucuses held in each state. For example, two states with the same population will have the same number of delegates to send to the National Convention. However, if one of these sates holds an open primary (where Republicans, Democrats and Independants can all vote) and the other a closed primary (where only registered Democrats / Republicans can vote), then the former will have less delegates per voter. Of course, plain old voter turnout can produce a similar effect but usually not to such a great degree.

The Democratic process is complicated further in that the allocation of delegates is tied to Congressional precincts, so that, in Missouri for example, you see Obama winning by 2%, yet losing out 16 - 5 to Clinton in terms of delegates. This is because Obama's support was concentrated in 2 or 3 heavily populated counties in and around St. Louis, while Hillary swept the far more sparsely populated rural counties accross State. This is intended to nullify certain geographical cleavages, which often co-incide with racial and social imbalances.

Block G Raptor
06/02/2008, 2:38 PM
It seems that way at first glance alright but I think (and I'm open to correction here) that this probably has something to do with the different kinds of primaries / caucuses held in each state. For example, two states with the same population will have the same number of delegates to send to the National Convention. However, if one of these sates holds an open primary (where Republicans, Democrats and Independants can all vote) and the other a closed primary (where only registered Democrats / Republicans can vote), then the former will have less delegates per voter. Of course, plain old voter turnout can produce a similar effect but usually not to such a great degree.

The Democratic process is complicated further in that the allocation of delegates is tied to Congressional precincts, so that, in Missouri for example, you see Obama winning by 2%, yet losing out 16 - 5 to Clinton in terms of delegates. This is because Obama's support was concentrated in 2 or 3 heavily populated counties in and around St. Louis, while Hillary swept the far more sparsely populated rural counties accross State. This is intended to nullify certain geographical cleavages, which often co-incide with racial and social imbalances.
My head hurts:)
not surprising they get claims of rigged votes and stuff. with a system that complicated it has to be prone to errors and/or vote rigging

dancinpants
06/02/2008, 3:59 PM
Was watching CNN last night and they had Ari Fleischer (remember him? Bushes ex-WhiteHouse Press Scretary) on as a panellist. He said that the Republicans were "hoping and praying" that Clinton would get the nomination. Says it all for me really.

Just checked BBC there, the delegate count is narrowing Clinton 783, Obama 709.

dancinpants
06/02/2008, 5:55 PM
MSN now giving it as: Barack Obama 838, Hillary Clinton 834

dahamsta
06/02/2008, 6:08 PM
CNN is 811:720, Fox 845:765, CBS 974:906. They're all over the shop.

dancinpants
06/02/2008, 8:34 PM
I can see a McCain/Huckabee ticket walking the nationals

Just heard the voter turn outs for last night:

10 million Democrat to 6 million Republican. Take into account that Democratic turnout in Iowa, South Carolina, and New Hampshire were through the roof too. So I seriously doubt that ANY Republican ticket will "walk" the general election in November. Also interesting to note, that alot of registered Republicans (albeit moderates) spoke of wanting to vote for Obama - but because its only Primaries and Caucases' you're only allowed to vote for the party with which you are registered....that won't be the case when the general election swings around.

Ambaiste!
06/02/2008, 8:54 PM
Just heard the voter turn outs for last night:

10 million Democrat to 6 million Republican. Take into account that Democratic turnout in Iowa, South Carolina, and New Hampshire were through the roof too. So I seriously doubt that ANY Republican ticket will "walk" the general election in November. Also interesting to note, that alot of registered Republicans (albeit moderates) spoke of wanting to vote for Obama - but because its only Primaries and Caucases' you're only allowed to vote for the party with which you are registered....that won't be the case when the general election swings around.

No doubt Obama is getting a lot of first time voters out as well as people who may have been disillusioned with the system in past years (and who could blame them given the choice in the last two races). But if Hillary ends up getting the Democratic nomination, as I have a feeling she might, the question is where will these Obama voters go? Hillary is a very polarising figure within her own party, and with McCain positioning himself towards the left of the Republican party (to the extent that such a thing exists!), he could well nick a few of the independants who have been bolstering Obama's vote to a large extent up to now.

dancinpants
06/02/2008, 9:14 PM
the question is where will these Obama voters go?

Thats the $64,000 question. However, if this is a commonly held believe within the Democratic party as a whole (that Hillary is divisive and polarizing), it may well benefit Obama when it comes time for the "super delegates" to make up there minds should it go to the Convention in Denver.

and with McCain positioning himself towards the left of the Republican party

I disagree with this. The time is approaching fast where McCain will have to make his peace with the rest of the Republican Party. In order to do this he has to position himself further to the RIGHT from where he currently stands. Yes if he where to take on Huckabee as a running mate, it would help, but in order to project an image of some form of party unity, he'll have to lean further right.

pete
06/02/2008, 11:07 PM
Huckabee has not proven he can win the south for McCain who I don't feel would be that strong there with a different VP.

I think Obama is getting a free ride by the media who love to hate Clinton even if she brought some of it on herself. If you look at the results of the big important states (relevant for Presidential election too) Clinton beat Obama by at least 10% which is wider than expected. Obama is winning all the caucuses (7 out of 7 on Tuesday) including all those Bible Belt states with all the white folks.

Risteard
06/02/2008, 11:19 PM
I've done a quick bit of research there and things are a bit brighter for Barack than I thought.
Obama won more (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/) delegates from the vote on Super Tuesday than Billary.
If primarys (doubtfully) go roughly as predicted then it should continue with Clinton losing most (smaller) states but winning the big guns like Pensylvania, maybe not Louisiana.
It will come down to superdelegates.
Hillary has more delegates at the moment due to having far more pledges (http://demconwatch.blogspot.com/2008/01/superdelegate-list.html)from superdelegates.
So it'll come down to these guys (http://demconwatch.blogspot.com/2008/01/superdelegates-who-havent-endorsed.html).
It might be very embarassing for superdelegates to go against the popular vote and don't forget they're liable to change aswell.
So what will it be Mr. Gore?

jmurphyc
06/02/2008, 11:54 PM
I heard that O'Neills on Suffolk Street has some kind of absentee polling station in it. Can anyone confirm whether this is true or not?

dahamsta
07/02/2008, 12:47 AM
NBC has been calling it a lot different to everyone else all day. CNN (http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/scorecard/#val=D), Fox (http://youdecide08.foxnews.com/states/) and CBS (http://election.cbsnews.com/campaign2008/#delegate_scorecard) are far less generous to Obama.

Risteard
07/02/2008, 2:09 AM
Ya, those Fox and CBS pages show the current totals nationwide including the current delarations of various superdelegates.
The CNN page call Super Tuesday but also includes the superdelegates.
It states that it is an estimate but hasn't changed all day.

The MSNBC link shows the results of the voting at the polls yesterday.
Hillary led before super tuesday and she leads after it.
If you include the Dem.Party VIPs who'll support her at the convention, she won Super Tuesday.
If you look at what the polling booths returned, Obama won.

Super Tuesday was most certainly a dead heat in real terms.
They've a few thousand more votes to count in New Mexico where there's 110 votes between the pair.

HarpoJoyce
07/02/2008, 10:42 AM
I heard that O'Neills on Suffolk Street has some kind of absentee polling station in it. Can anyone confirm whether this is true or not?

Yes, O'Neills of Suffolk St D2, ( continuation of NassauSt./Clare St. towards Westland Row) is where the Dublin Democrats hold their meetings. The offices and residency of the American University is up the road and Trinity is left, right and behind the pub.

Article from some e-paper.
http://www.enn.ie/article/10123834.html
"...
The Irish primary commences on Tuesday 5 February, which is also 'Super Tuesday' in the US when 24 states hold their primaries. A polling station will be open from 10am to 10pm in O'Neill's on Suffolk St in Dublin on that day for any voters wishing to participate in person. Online voting continues until 12 February...."
It is likely the journalist noted in the by-line also posts regularly on this forum.

Home Page of Democrats Abroads mentioned in above article.
http://www.democratsabroad.org/countries

Irish page of Democrats abroad.
http://www.democratsabroad.org/group/ireland

I know you didn't mean to be insulting when you asked about the ".. kind of absentee polling station.." but its fortunate for those voters who are affected by decisions, to have an opputunity to participate in the election of those that represent them.

Aberdonian Stu
07/02/2008, 10:49 AM

It had one yes. Democrats Abroad Ireland set one up for expat Dems living in Ireland, the official result isn't going to be out for a couple of weeks but they definitely hammered all previous records for turnout. Online voting is still ongoing and the votes from this will be combined with Tuesday's ballot.

The votes from this will go forward to the European regional caucus of the Dems Abroad which will then subsequently go forward to the Global Caucus which will be held in Vancouver. The 22 (I think) delegates selected at this will go forward to the Democratic National Convention.

EDIT: More info here (http://www.enn.ie/article/10123834.html) (in the interest of full disclosure I wrote this).

HarpoJoyce
07/02/2008, 11:49 AM
What are views on different running mate combinations.

How confirmed or official is the McCain/ Giuliani ticket?
During the republican Causases and Primaries, Mike Huckabee seems to be soaking up a lot of the southern and southern thinking states.

http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/candidates/mike.huckabee.html
He ran McCain a close second in at least SC and MO
http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/state/#SC
http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/state/#val=MO

Is he a viable candidate as a V.P. running-mate? I believe he would suit McCain better than he would suit Romney.

And of course for the Democrats, will Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton come together. Jack Cafferty of CNN on this combination.
http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2008/02/06/clinton-obama-on-same-ticket/
Has John Edwards had a little of his arguement eroded as running mate, as there is an increased turnout voting for Democrats, including what I consider staggering gender figures sometimes over 60-40 of women democratic voters turning out.
http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/state/#val=GA
Any gender spread of 55 per cent or over is vast.

I believe an Obama/ Clinton ticket will put the Democrats over the line. I believe the USA is still a very divided country and most of the votes will fall the same way as the last two Presdential elections. But if everyone in the States was described as their Gender and Race, then everyone is part of a minority and that ticket simple captures enough of the four main Gender/Race types. By adding the downturn in economy and difsavour with some foreign policy and it continues to fall the Democrats way.

Apologies for using the same source (CNN) but must of the links are regarding actual votes and voter profile.
I accept I'm asking this question early.

Ambaiste!
07/02/2008, 12:07 PM
I disagree with this. The time is approaching fast where McCain will have to make his peace with the rest of the Republican Party. In order to do this he has to position himself further to the RIGHT from where he currently stands. Yes if he where to take on Huckabee as a running mate, it would help, but in order to project an image of some form of party unity, he'll have to lean further right.

That's true and he will do this but only up to a point. I'd say he was hoping to seal the nomination on Super Tuesday, but as this didn't happen, he's had to re-assess things and play to the conservatives, many of whom still favour Romney over both Huckabee and McCain. However, if he does get the nomination in the coming weeks (which he will, barring a complete catastrophe), I think he'll revert to type. In a general election situation, no conservative Republican will vote for Clinton or Obama anyway, so to adopt a rigid conservative line would serve merely to alienate non-aligned potential voters, as well as liberal and moderate Republicans, who could certainly be swayed by Obama if not Clinton.

pete
07/02/2008, 3:24 PM
I don't see Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton ticket as viable as could not see either of them being happy to be VP especially Hillary given winner is going to win by short head.

McCain might like to pair up with his buddy Guiliani but he is a serious liability given how poorly he polled even in Florida where the old New Yorkers retire. :D

dancinpants
07/02/2008, 4:24 PM
I don't see Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton ticket as viable as could not see either of them being happy to be VP especially Hillary given winner is going to win by short head.

I know what yer sayin' Pete - there'd be definitely a clash of ego's, and they are BIG ego's. But I've a feeling it might be different after the nomination is announced. One of them will come back to earth with a bang when faced with the prospect of all that campaigning and nothing to show for it - thus making a VP slot a very appealing way of staying in the limelight. TBH, if the bit comes to the bit, I don't think either of them would turn down the VP position if offered after the convention.

As for Giulliani, it would be dream come true for the Democratic ticket if he ended up being McCains running mate - right now I can't see that happening.

INTERESTING DEVELOPMENT: http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0207/uselection.html

Romney suspending his campaign :eek:

HarpoJoyce
07/02/2008, 5:53 PM
Super Tuesday was most certainly a dead heat in real terms.
They've a few thousand more votes to count in New Mexico where there's 110 votes between the pair.

What do you mean in "Real Terms"?.
update on NM, 123 votes in it. 99 per cent counted. Processing result ongoing
http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/state/#NM
Edwards over 2000 votes........ Richardson 1211. Fair Play.

EDIT: More info here (http://www.enn.ie/article/10123834.html) (in the interest of full disclosure I wrote this).
Aberdeen Stu why does it take a debate in Support and a complaint to the moderators to get you to behave. If you read the previous post you would of seen that your article was already linked and a note stating it was from someone on this forum. You chose to ignore all of that and go straight for your article. Spamming it here on Foot.ie. For shame, you will always be a Journalist. What other articles are you going to Spam for us?

McCain might like to pair up with his buddy Guiliani but he is a serious liability given how poorly he polled even in Florida where the old New Yorkers retire. :D

Its true, that's where they go to die. But maybe half the reason to move to Florida was to get away from Giuliani.

INTERESTING DEVELOPMENT: http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0207/uselection.html

Romney suspending his campaign :eek:

Dates in the calendar Romney is missing.
http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/path.presidency/
March, April are further linked.
It will be interesting to see what sort of numbers Romney gets in the upcoming Primaries as his name will still be on the ballot.
Guiliani got 5 per cent in California, he's got to be happy with that.
http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/state/#val=CA

pete
07/02/2008, 10:33 PM
If you like number crunching CNN has a great sector which breaks down the Fund Raising Numbers (http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/money/dems.html) per candidate, Party & even State.

McCain is lucky he can save some cash as doesn't have much to start with. I wonder would he sell Romney the VP because if he wins VP gets run at Presidency in 4 years time. If Romney had not been tanked by Huckabee on Tuesday might have been possible.

jmurphyc
08/02/2008, 9:55 AM
but its fortunate for those voters who are affected by decisions, to have an opputunity to participate in the election of those that represent them.

Me being one of them! It's actually great that they've set up a polling station here because the last time it was really difficult trying to get information from the embassy.

Aberdonian Stu
08/02/2008, 9:57 AM
In previous years they used a caucus system which meant it was a far narrower window for voters. Now the internet voting and actual primary mean that it's much more straightforward to get out and vote.

strangeirish
09/02/2008, 12:57 AM
Gotta love Jon Stewart (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoGv--wr6V0). Here's his take on Romney's departure. Speaks his mind at about 2.25.:D

OoGv--wr6V0

pete
09/02/2008, 12:01 PM
Saw that. Romney is some muppet. Hard to imagine he got elected in Mass a fairly liberal state from US standards.

dahamsta
11/02/2008, 4:22 AM
Clinton's campaign manager walks, the day after (is it even a day?) Obama buries Clinton in several primaries.

http://news.google.ie/news?q=Patti+Solis+Doyle&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wn

adam

Jerry The Saint
11/02/2008, 9:51 AM
Saw that. Romney is some muppet. Hard to imagine he got elected in Mass a fairly liberal state from US standards.

Like a good businessman, he was supposedly fairly liberal by Rep. standards when running for Governor there :rolleyes:

pete
11/02/2008, 8:51 PM
Like a good businessman, he was supposedly fairly liberal by Rep. standards when running for Governor there :rolleyes:

In America Clinton & Obama are considered socialists :eek:

Not surprised to see Obama win recent caucuses & primaries but margin bigger than I thought.

I think ordinary delegates vote may affect the 800 super delegates who will decide the winner.

CNN Scorecard (http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/scorecard/#D)

HarpoJoyce
13/02/2008, 9:08 AM
I'm suprised with the numbers voting that, the huge difference in Democrat and Rep. turnout.

http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/state/#val=DC
Its true what the conservatives say all along, that Washington is full of liberals. And this was a Primary (as opposed to a Caucus).

These figures are even more astounding than the spread in Alaska
http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/state/#val=AK
Where the republicans totally dominate.

jmurphyc
13/02/2008, 9:15 AM
It does have a huge percentage of black voters though, and Obama polled 90% of black voters (who are also having a high turnout rate as well apparently).

HarpoJoyce
13/02/2008, 9:41 AM
jmurphyc

(do you know)

Is there much or any internal postal voting in the US for the Government workers to stay registered in their home town State? Or do the large number of State workers live outside D.C. and vote in the State they are domiciled in?

And while I'm at it what is the projected voting patterns in the Tri-State Area for the next 12 years?

jmurphyc
13/02/2008, 11:45 AM
jmurphyc

(do you know)

Is there much or any internal postal voting in the US for the Government workers to stay registered in their home town State? Or do the large number of State workers live outside D.C. and vote in the State they are domiciled in?

And while I'm at it what is the projected voting patterns in the Tri-State Area for the next 12 years?

I have no idea. I assume that most government workers vote in their home state but I could be completely wrong as I'm not basing it on anything. By Tri-State which area are you referring to? There are a few tri-state areas in America, but I assume you're talking about last night's area.

HarpoJoyce
13/02/2008, 12:15 PM
Thanks. My last question was rhetorical. I realised I was piling the questions on top of you. yea i was talking about the D.C area.

Block G Raptor
22/02/2008, 3:07 PM
Great Bumper Sticker for Hilary

pete
02/03/2008, 12:29 PM
Just back from the US & saw their TV Election coverage & I have never seen so much much spoken about nothing. News is most certainly entertainment & completely personality based i.e. the presenters. There is almost no debate about issues. Makes me appreciate the Irish/UK news coverage we have.

Polls have Clinton ahead in Ohio & Obama ahead in Texas. Seems 5% either way will make very little different to allocation of delegates (bizarre system) so they are really competing for hype of victory.

Media is totally biased towards Obama & Saturday Night Live (http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/#mea=221776) did funny sketch on this.

I can't see how Obama or Clinton would not beat McCain.

Nader is back too after entering the race. :rolleyes:

Block G Raptor
05/03/2008, 10:49 AM
Big results for Hilliary last night which should see her ride the momentum all the way to the whitehouse. I think the Democrats longterm ambitions will be best served by a Clinton/Obama ticket with Obama being almost certain to get into the Oval office in eight years time guaranteeing the Democrats at least 12 years in power

Lionel Ritchie
05/03/2008, 11:16 AM
Just back from the US & saw their TV Election coverage & I have never seen so much much spoken about nothing. News is most certainly entertainment & completely personality based i.e. the presenters. There is almost no debate about issues. Makes me appreciate the Irish/UK news coverage we have.
I think I know what you mean. If I hear just one more American say so-and-so "is really talking to my heart"...

Hearts pump blood people. That is all.

pete
05/03/2008, 12:09 PM
Democrat system is so messed up means this could go all the way to the convention.Apparently some districts in Texas have even number of delegates so even in 60:40 win they split 2+2.

I think Clinton is winning based on her economic credentials which might be seen in the 10% win in Ohio. Texas probably not doing so bad given the price of oil. Winning big states like these might swing a few super delegates Clintons way?

Next up is Wyoming caucuses which Obama will more than likely win as he has won virtually all Wyoming caucus. Then onto Mississippi primaries.

dancinpants
05/03/2008, 5:46 PM
In the Texas race 59% of the turnout were woman, Obama was never going to win up against that kind of number. It would be interesting also to find out what kind of impact Rush Limbaughs rallying call to republicans to vote for Hillary had.

But considering the week Obama had I think he still done fairly well, the gap in Ohio being the only major concern. The long and short of it is that its verging on impossible for Hillary to overtake Obama's delegate count. Its funny too to listen to Hillary supporters complain about the distribution of delegates despite what the vote number is - they do realise that Obama is up against the exact same system don't they?

Infact Time magazine are suggesting, that unless theres an Obama stumble of near biblical proportions, Hillary can't even overtake him if they give her the delegates from Michigan and Florida!!! But anyway Hillary lives to fight another day, and she's shown that if she goes down, she'll go down fighting and drag the party down with her.

Ambaiste!
06/03/2008, 8:42 AM
Infact Time magazine are suggesting, that unless theres an Obama stumble of near biblical proportions, Hillary can't even overtake him if they give her the delegates from Michigan and Florida!!! But anyway Hillary lives to fight another day, and she's shown that if she goes down, she'll go down fighting and drag the party down with her.

I can't see how or why she'd drag the party down with her. I'd say that if she does lose it'll be more a case of quietly retreating to lick her wounds while preparing for another tilt at the nomination in four or eight years time. Likewise for Obama if he loses. Either way we'll be seeing plenty more of both in the future I think.

The Hillary campaign has made a lot of errors of judgement, from finances to Bill's role to general chicken counting from day one. These could end up costing her the nomination, but they will certainly not be repeated if she does run again in the future. No matter what you think of Hillary, she deserves some respect for still being in the race despite being written off countless time by the 'experts'. Witness this blog (chrismatthewsotherleg.blogspot.com). (It's by my Dad so I promised him some free advertising :D, but if the mods consider it spamming feel free to delete)

jebus
06/03/2008, 9:12 AM
Hilary won't win the nomination, when all was said and done yesterday she had gained a few token victories but hadn't closed the gap on Obama. The super delegates will still plump for Obama and he'll go on and lose to McCain in my opinion, I hope he doesn't but as a Democrat he is always fighting an uphill battle. That party doesn't deserve to beat the Republicans at the best of times, it seems with each and every election they can't fully get behind their nominee without some petty infighting, watch as Hilary will undermine Barack so that he will lose the upcoming election so that she can run again in 4 years