PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Rumours/Suggestions

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

sligoman
14/11/2007, 12:29 PM
It's a bit early for us to be signing anyone but other clubs have signed people already so we may aswell start talking about it. Realistically, who do we want? What positions are needed?

I'd like us to make an attempt at signing Alan Cawley, I know he works in Dublin but he might be up for it if we make a worthwhile offer. He was the top scoring midfielder this season and is from Sligo so he might fancy representing his home town. Don't think we'll get him but worth a shot.

Another is Mark Farren, he's not that popular with Robertson up in Derry according to rumours. He's a proven goalscorer, which is what we need. He lives in Donegal and rumoured to be joining Harps[if they get promoted] but if they're in the First Division next season, I can't see him wanting to join them then. We're the closest club after that so he might be interested if Derry do get rid of him. Would be a big signing for the club imo.

If Tommy goes then I reckon we should sign Seamus Kelly[Longford] as back up to Brush, sign him part-time as I don't think we'd need two full-time keepers. Anyone else from Longford? A lot of their squad rumoured to be leaving and shams have released 11 players[most likely will all join other Dublin clubs but some might be worth looking into].

Then of course theirs Ian Wexler;)

Anyone other suggestions?

cmak-88
14/11/2007, 12:40 PM
id rather kelly in goals instead of brush. dave mooney would be a great signing. we need a left back and another centre back(liam burns).

sligoman
14/11/2007, 12:42 PM
Mooney's going to an English lower league side. I wouldn't want him really tbh.

cmak-88
14/11/2007, 12:43 PM
why not. top goal scorer wit a relegated club!!!

Redzer
14/11/2007, 12:45 PM
I saw Conor shaking hands with Manson and wishing him well for the future at the Raddison Monday night. So, I'd say thats him Ag dul amach.
Mooney from Longford would be fantastic, but we prob dont have the funds to sign him.

Red4Eva
14/11/2007, 12:48 PM
ciaran kelly and cawley hopefully. i'd imagine he'll be in for alan moore again. love to get burnsy back too

sligoman
14/11/2007, 12:52 PM
I just think Mooney is so over-rated and has got lucky with a lot of his goals this season. Gets caught off-side too often for my liking.
I saw Conor shaking hands with Manson and wishing him well for the future at the Raddison Monday night. So, I'd say thats him Ag dul amach.Manson is definitely gone, found that out a couple of weeks back from my private spy. He knows who he is:D.

cmak-88
14/11/2007, 12:53 PM
burnsy would love to come back aswell.

cmak-88
14/11/2007, 12:56 PM
ya mans is gone. doesnt peers have another year left on his contract??

sligoman
14/11/2007, 12:57 PM
Everone is signed for next season except Meredith, Gordon, Arcaba and Curran. Not sure if they've been given a contract since though.

cmak-88
14/11/2007, 1:00 PM
what about signing ken o'malley again. he is a good keeper.

jamie m
14/11/2007, 1:04 PM
i see shams have released a lot of players, anyone think any of them worth signing?

cmak-88
14/11/2007, 1:09 PM
players released by shams.
David Cassidy, Robbie Clarke, Jamie Duffy, Dave McGill, John McGuinness, Andy Myler, Dave O'Connor, Derek Pender, Alan Reynolds, Ian Ryan and Paul Shiels.

gustavo
14/11/2007, 1:12 PM
A striker a central midfielder a left back a centre back should be the priorities in that order

jamie m
14/11/2007, 1:18 PM
alan murphy released by galway, worth taking a gamble on someone like him? has talent and is still fairly young, what went wrong at galway for him?

sligoman
14/11/2007, 1:19 PM
what went wrong at galway for him?He became ****e:). Don't know if he's worth it tbh, big risk.

red bellied
14/11/2007, 1:22 PM
Need plenty of local signings next year if Rovers are to field three sides.

jamie m
14/11/2007, 1:27 PM
He became ****e:). Don't know if he's worth it tbh, big risk.
i agree it would be a risk but with cookie and gerry there to motivate him they might get the best out of him, dont think you can just become a crap player, was he played out of position a lot of the time at galway or was there an attitude problem?

sligoman
14/11/2007, 1:28 PM
Need plenty of local signings next year if Rovers are to field three sides.You gonna go for a trial red bellied or have you retired?;)

red bellied
14/11/2007, 1:38 PM
Must send a DVD into Cookie of my footie skills!

Redzer
14/11/2007, 2:20 PM
Andy Myler could do a job for us. What age is he? Alan Murphy would be worth taking a risk too. He didn't do much good in his return to crustyland, but Derry holds him in high regard.

Gaillimh Al
14/11/2007, 2:29 PM
Murphy was the only non full-time player at the club. He has a good job with EBS in town and was unwilling to give it up. He's had 2 very ordinary seasons by his own standards. We couldn't afford to be giving him another contract based on potential. Not sure if his heart is in it anymore.

DonalE
14/11/2007, 3:48 PM
John O'Hara, played only 3 games in The US this season so maybe he'd wanna come back..... but he's married to an American so maybe not

(RoryH; secrets don't buy diesel)

DRDoc
14/11/2007, 4:45 PM
Lads Shaun Williams of Drogheda is unlikely to be offered a new deal - he was on loan with dundalk this season. I doubt many of you have seen him in action but he is excellent

Perfect replacement for Hughes. He wants full time football but there are not too many options open to him - Galway tried to nab him before but he wasnt prepared to move west - i reckon the lure of full time football might persuade him to give sligo a go for a year - he is going to be a big player in years to come

Neil McCafferty released by Derry - might be worth a shot - perhaps never really given a proper chance to shine at derry under various managers - perhaps needs a slight attitude adjustment also though according to a few derry boys i know

Sean Kelly will be back from Longford - he was only on loan right? He is a decent player, a better defender than foy anyway from what ive seen of him at sligo and at longford

Colm James is another probably available from Longford and based in the right part of the country

I reckon derry will be releasing a few more also

Galway have released Cooke also - he too is more than capable and would be an addition to sligo

Im sure Cooke has a few english based options i up his sleeve also

The question - is there money for wages?

sligoman
14/11/2007, 5:36 PM
Sean Kelly will be back from Longford - he was only on loan right? He is a decent player, a better defender than foy anyway from what ive seen of him at sligo and at longfordNo, he was released by us and Longford signed him, not a loan deal.
Galway have released Cooke also - he too is more than capable and would be an addition to sligoYou serious?:eek: Cooke is terrible in the Premier Division, even the Galway lads didn't rate him. If they're not good enough for Galway, they're certainly not good enough for us;)

Shaun Williams and Colm James might be good options alright. I've seen James a few times this season and he does look handy enough at times.

feo123
14/11/2007, 6:19 PM
found that out a couple of weeks back from my private spy. He knows who he is:D.

kevin julien was it?

Rovers1
14/11/2007, 8:42 PM
kevin julien was it?

hes doing well to get the latest info on irish players all the way from Ghana!

feo123
14/11/2007, 9:04 PM
hes doing well to get the latest info on irish players all the way from Ghana!

he's not just in ghana, he's everywhere...he's omni-present!

avvenalaf
15/11/2007, 12:07 AM
DR Doc, you are hereby nominated for the NPY Award.

Nonsensical Post of the Year.

Red4Eva
15/11/2007, 7:42 AM
Neil McCafferty released by Derry - might be worth a shot - perhaps never really given a proper chance to shine at derry under various managers - perhaps needs a slight attitude adjustment also though according to a few derry boys i know

Sean Kelly will be back from Longford - he was only on loan right? He is a decent player, a better defender than foy anyway from what ive seen of him at sligo and at longford

Colm James is another probably available from Longford and based in the right part of the country

Galway have released Cooke also - he too is more than capable and would be an addition to sligo
?

mccafferty bad attitude, not welcome. sean kelly is NOT a better defender than foyzer!! why sign collie james when we could just get another hoofer like rossi sr for cheaper? cookie wouldn't get a game for abbey and i **** myself when i heard galway were keeping him when they got promoted

feo123
15/11/2007, 9:42 AM
would like mark rossiter but won't happen

Red&White Rover
15/11/2007, 10:13 AM
Sean Connor for Promotions officer maybe?;)

Redzer
15/11/2007, 11:29 AM
John O'Hara, played only 3 games in The US this season so maybe he'd wanna come back..... but he's married to an American so maybe not
That might not be so far of the mark. An uncle of John's told me a few weeks ago that he was planning on comming home.

SligoBrewer
15/11/2007, 11:48 AM
That might not be so far of the mark. An uncle of John's told me a few weeks ago that he was planning on comming home.

Hypothetically, would you give him back the starting keeper position if her re-signed?

jamie m
15/11/2007, 11:55 AM
not exactly sure what boyds contract situation is but have been told he definitely wont be back next season, not too fond of sligo apparently

Red&White Rover
15/11/2007, 11:56 AM
Hypothetically, would you give him back the starting keeper position if her re-signed?

A bit unfair on Brushy, but yeah probably. Brushy still needs another season to adapt. His Aerial ability is woeful and if John came back, we'd have one of the best in the league.

Rovers1
15/11/2007, 12:15 PM
not exactly sure what boyds contract situation is but have been told he definitely wont be back next season, not too fond of sligo apparently

heard the same too..himself and Ventre are not at all impressed with Sligo and want to go back to England...if we sign players for their positions then really theyre no loss at all. Boyd lacks effort, and gives up too easy and Ventre isnt good enough for Rovers either.

Rovers1
15/11/2007, 12:28 PM
Shaun Williams and Colm James might be good options alright. I've seen James a few times this season and he does look handy enough at times.

James is a Galway reject too...as you said sligoman: "not good enough for Galway, not good enough for us" Id say Cousins let him go because he was fighting Ciaran Foley for a place,theyre both similiar players, and if thats the reason, then he certainly doesnt deserve a place at Rovers.

Redzer
I'd love to see him between the sticks again. We would be spoiled for choice if it did happen. But I reckon he would not be automatic first choice.
As for Boyd and Ventre, good luck to them. Ventre would certainly cost us points. You like to see a bit of passion in a player, but some of his tackling is downright dangerous.

neutrino
well we def need a new no.1 Brush is a good shot stopper and has done ok but I'm not fully confident in his ability.Maybe he should be given a chance to improve tho as last season was his first season as no.1 and he is young. I think the core of the team needs to be strengthened if possible - but if you think about it alot of positions need adding to - keeper, another centre half, left back, central midfielder and a striker or two. but we'll need to see about funds first. we've done very well to finish 6th but we need to add to maintain/improve position.

Red4Eva
15/11/2007, 12:38 PM
if we had a gk coach it would improve brush greatly. he just needs more confidence and a couple of sessions a week with leo would do wonders i'd say. all the same, hopefully donal's right with his prediction on o'hara like he was with hughes months ago. boyd had a disciplinary issue a few weeks ago and got a hefty fine from club so i doubt he'll be back. he's a one trick pony who has very little impact on games and i'd rather see curran given a game before him, also i get the impression he's a bad influence on foyzer

Da Real Rover
15/11/2007, 2:35 PM
TBH I thought Boyd had potential if he only got himself in shape. And as for Ventre, love this player, plays with his heart on his sleave and has every striker in the league ****ting themselves.

sligoman
15/11/2007, 2:52 PM
That might not be so far of the mark. An uncle of John's told me a few weeks ago that he was planning on comming home.I remember reading, a few months ago, on Bebo about him possibly coming back. Hope it's true.
Id say Cousins let him go because he was fighting Ciaran Foley for a place,theyre both similiar players, and if thats the reason, then he certainly doesnt deserve a place at Rovers.Cousins placed Foley on the transfer list around the same time so he wouldn't have been planning on playing either of them! Besides, Galway fans were raging when James was let go, he was a good enough player for them, not exactly a reject. More of a dispute with the manager I'd say, just like Raf with Sean Connor, and you wouldn't call Raf a reject would you?;)

sligo23
15/11/2007, 3:43 PM
what about mark rossiter??
hes not too happy at bohs and might be a decent signing.

Conor H
15/11/2007, 3:55 PM
Actually Colie left because he couldn't settle in Galway.He missed Dublin.:rolleyes:
Average player-not a chance he'll join ye though....he'll be with Bray/UCD next year.

cmak-88
16/11/2007, 10:06 AM
we would of had mark rossiter but mc donald didnt think he was good enough.

redrov2005
16/11/2007, 1:50 PM
I'm surprised that Cookie isn't releasing more players with a view to strngthening the squad. Obviously the money available will dictate and he is unlikely to gave 2 players for every position.

Shams had a great season and yet they've released 11 players. I have great time for Cooke, but part of management is making the most of what you've got and cutting tour cloth. In all honesty he should be looking at each position and saying can i improve it. If not then we're drifting along.

In my opinion, the only players who are pretty much definites are Faz, Coleman.Judge and Peers. The rest should all be under the spotlight.

Of the regular starters team last season here is my reckoning.

Brush- Will never be the best and is not a patch on O'Hara.
Coleman- Say no more
Peers- Oustanding
McKenzie- Not up to it. Should be on the way out.
Foy- There are better left backs out there.
Faz- Terrific
O'Grady- Best years are probably behind him. A good squad player to have.
Curran- Simply hasn't stepped up to it and i'm not sure if he will. Good technical players but needs too much time on the ball.
Judge-Blows hot and cold. Needs competition to be kept on his toes.
Ventre- Plenty of spirit, but would struggle to get a place in any team in the rest of the top 6.
Meredith- Not good enough
Boyd- As above.
Cretaro-Disappointing season. Can do better.
Cash- Good squad player.

Cooke himself-Overall though he has done exceptionally well. Now comes the next challenge and that's to wheel and deal for players. Simply not good enough to say i don't have money. Most other clubs don't either. I was really disappointed with the Bray display. It was unfair on Waterford and UCD not to field your strongest team. They are professionals. Was it asking too much to play one last game before next March ?

gustavo
16/11/2007, 1:57 PM
If we started the season next year with the following team I'd be happy enough

Brush
Coleman Peers ........CB ......... LB
Raf or Cash....... O''Grady.......... CM.............Gordon/LM
Faz ..............Judge
then on the bench you'd have
Arcaba
McKenzie
Curran
another striker
Raf or Cash
Gordon/LM
Foy
Ventre if he stays
and all the u-21 lads

red bellied
16/11/2007, 2:17 PM
http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2007/11/15/eircom-LOI-Big-guns-to-vie-for-Kuduzovic/

sligoman
16/11/2007, 2:22 PM
If Faz goes I think Cook will leave too, he rates him so highly that I think he'd have enough if Faz was sold. In saying that, the money could come in handy if he knew of others available too though.