PDA

View Full Version : Steven Reid

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

foureyes
26/10/2009, 5:13 PM
First thing I thought of when I heard of the swine flu in the camp. Steven is sure to get it.

A fully fit SR in our midfield would be a massive boost.

blackburn have only 3 games between here and the playoff so even if he were to play in all those he wouldn't really be fully match fit.

hugely better option to come off the bench or step in in case of injury than miller though, even if not 100%.

it will be interesting to see if he features at OT next weekend and how he does if so.

rebelmusic
26/10/2009, 7:11 PM
I dunno, if he performs to the level we know he can in the last 2 games then i would see no reason not to call him up. Look to be fair he's a better option than andrews, even at 80% simply because he does the exact same job but adds an attacking and passing flair. Also reid is one of the few players we have who can hold up the ball and give the wingers/strikers a chance to make runs

Murfinator
26/10/2009, 7:16 PM
I still think people are overrating him. He had a handful of excellent performances against poor teams at the start of the campaign but that doesn't erase the memory of all the horrible games he's had for us. Let's not forget those 3 games at the start of this campaign were the first time Steven Reid ever put in a quality performance for us.

I can't help but raise an eyebrow when it's universally considered that the same guy at 80% fitness can lead us to conquering France.

Razors left peg
26/10/2009, 7:25 PM
I still think people are overrating him. He had a handful of excellent performances against poor teams at the start of the campaign but that doesn't erase the memory of all the horrible games he's had for us. Let's not forget those 3 games at the start of this campaign were the first time Steven Reid ever put in a quality performance for us.

I can't help but raise an eyebrow when it's universally considered that the same guy at 80% fitness can lead us to conquering France.

What the hell are ya on about. What horrible games has Steven Reid ever had for us??? The guy has always played well when fit, that has just not happenend enough over the years..... or maybe its because he doesnt fit your test of him being Irish enough to play for us is the reason for u not rating him?

Gonk1976
26/10/2009, 7:39 PM
What the hell are ya on about. What horrible games has Steven Reid ever had for us??? The guy has always played well when fit, that has just not happenend enough over the years..... or maybe its because he doesnt fit your test of him being Irish enough to play for us is the reason for u not rating him?
It's pretty unrealistic to expect Reid to be back to even 50% of his best before the play-offs. It'll be Whelan and Andrews I'm afraid. Good lads both of them and Whelan's a decent passer on his day (when he's confident) but they won't be dominating any opposition midfield, least of all France's.

irishfan86
26/10/2009, 8:15 PM
My brother has told me that Blackburn's Carling Cup game may be postponed due to swine flu fears.

This would be a major blow as this game would be a huge step in Reid's potential return.

MeathDrog
26/10/2009, 8:16 PM

There's been a high increase in the amount of idiots on the Ireland section of foot.ie lately. Wonder why...

rebelmusic
26/10/2009, 9:54 PM
The only recollection i have of steven reid not playing well for us is when he has been played horribly out of position. He's a box to box midfielder so should only ever really play in the center. I know stan played him out of position before. Did kerr too?

irishfan86
26/10/2009, 10:02 PM
The only recollection i have of steven reid not playing well for us is when he has been played horribly out of position. He's a box to box midfielder so should only ever really play in the center. I know stan played him out of position before. Did kerr too?

Kerr and McCarthy also used him on the right-side of midfield. But keep in mind he also played there for his club during that period.

I agree that he should now be exclusively viewed as a central midfielder, but I think it's a little unfair to criticize managers for playing a player "out of position" when it wasn't the case at that point in time.

Razors left peg
26/10/2009, 10:26 PM
It's pretty unrealistic to expect Reid to be back to even 50% of his best before the play-offs. It'll be Whelan and Andrews I'm afraid. Good lads both of them and Whelan's a decent passer on his day (when he's confident) but they won't be dominating any opposition midfield, least of all France's.

Realistically u are right about the playoffs... but Id still have a 50% Reid ahead of Miller

amaccann
26/10/2009, 11:39 PM
Realistically u are right about the playoffs... but Id still have a 50% Reid ahead of Miller
Arguably it was playing Reid when he wasn't 100% fit (for the Montenegran game) that put him back on the injury table. As much as I'd like to see him back, I want to see him fully back, 100% fit.

twoenz
27/10/2009, 10:14 AM
Unbeaten in the group, I'd say Trap's going to keep a very similar team for the France matches. Gibson would still be 3rd in line.

While it would be great to have Reid back, on here it's a case of absence making the heart grow fonder.

lionelhutz
27/10/2009, 11:55 AM
While it would be great to have Reid back, on here it's a case of absence making the heart grow fonder.

Thats simply not the case. Everyone who longs for S. Reids return remembers how good he was away to Georgia and Montenegro and how poor our midfield was in the majority of games without him, eg Cyprus home and away, Bulgaria at home, Georgia at home, etc

Scram
27/10/2009, 12:22 PM
Swine Flu

paul_oshea
27/10/2009, 12:27 PM
what? are you saying hes got it?

Scram
27/10/2009, 12:30 PM
what? are you saying hes got it?

I hope not! Just winding up, but it is at Blackburn. Big Sam can't get it because swine are immune.

tetsujin1979
27/10/2009, 1:37 PM
Reid has avoided the outbreak and is in line to play tonight according to the Independent: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/reid-faces-dday-1924884.html

jay1
27/10/2009, 1:55 PM
Unbeaten in the group, I'd say Trap's going to keep a very similar team for the France matches. Gibson would still be 3rd in line.

unbeaten in the group means nothing, all the teams in our group where below par, any semi decent side would have hammered every single team in our crappy group.

Its this get a draw mentality that is ruining our soccer team.

tetsujin1979
27/10/2009, 1:58 PM
unbeaten in the group means nothing, all the teams in our group where below par, any semi decent side would have hammered every single team in our crappy group.

a semi decent side like the World Champions?

jay1
27/10/2009, 2:03 PM
the world champions is it who where beaten by Egypt in the confederations cup?????

Acornvilla
27/10/2009, 2:10 PM
the world champions is it who where beaten by Egypt in the confederations cup????? yes the very same egypt who have won the african nations cup the last two times!!

SuperDave
27/10/2009, 2:44 PM

Are you Eamonn Dunphy? I know, I know, lets belittle everything the team acheive just because it suits our agenda!

I hope not! Just winding up, but it is at Blackburn. Big Sam can't get it because swine are immune.

:D:D

The game will not be postponed. If it was going to be called off, it would have been done already.

Razors left peg
27/10/2009, 6:23 PM
hes definately starting tonight, fingers crossed for an uneventful injury free night

Colbert Report
27/10/2009, 7:08 PM
He's started, the match is not on telly here in Canada, can anyone give us an update on how he's doing and how fit he looks? Cheers.

carloz
27/10/2009, 7:45 PM
Just scored a penalty

tricky_colour
27/10/2009, 7:45 PM
He just scored a penalty, although apparently he slipped and miss hit it, just heard Robbie Keane missed a chance too on Sky Sports News.

paul_oshea
27/10/2009, 7:49 PM
any link i cant even see the game advertised on myp2p2

Razors left peg
27/10/2009, 8:02 PM

I found it hard to get matches online in the last few rounds of the cup too

Colbert Report
27/10/2009, 8:33 PM
Steven Reid subbed off on 70 minutes. I wonder if that will be enough to get him named in the squad. Blackburn play Manchester United this weekend, I wonder if he'll get into the team for that game?

Acornvilla
27/10/2009, 8:35 PM
Steven Reid subbed off on 70 minutes. I wonder if that will be enough to get him named in the squad. Blackburn play Manchester United this weekend, I wonder if he'll get into the team for that game?
probably bench and run out for last 20 mins

amaccann
27/10/2009, 8:54 PM
70 minutes of play & scored a penalty? God bless ya' Stephen, we missed you :)

tricky_colour
27/10/2009, 8:58 PM

Could not find any matches apart from Man U, Sky Sports news is good if you want to follow several matches.

tricky_colour
27/10/2009, 9:01 PM
Robbie Keane missed a penalty but scored in the chaos which followed.

IsMiseSean
27/10/2009, 9:37 PM
Did Reid come through the match ok?

Acornvilla
27/10/2009, 9:42 PM
Did Reid come through the match ok?
can ya not read? yes sir he scored a penalty and was subed on 70 mins hes grand :D
no swine flu or anything we could hardly send a few people with swine flu round to the french teams training the night before the games?? :D

lionelhutz
28/10/2009, 12:37 PM
Did anyone see the game last night? If so, how did he play??

IsMiseSean
28/10/2009, 12:53 PM
can ya not read? yes sir he scored a penalty and was subed on 70 mins hes grand :D
no swine flu or anything we could hardly send a few people with swine flu round to the french teams training the night before the games?? :D

This is Steven Reid we're talking about.... Anything can happen to that poor man :rolleyes:

mjpcc
28/10/2009, 3:45 PM
I doubt we will see him in the playoffs - hope I'm wrong.

This from the Hearld today.

Seasoned observers in the crowd felt that Reid appeared to be protecting his knee at all times and while he performed well enough on the night, has a long way to go before he reaches match fitness -- if he ever reaches the level he once enjoyed.

It looks like too much to expect him to be ready for either game.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/reid-im-all-right-trap-1926408.html

paul_oshea
28/10/2009, 4:30 PM
that quote sounds like something someone would make up who wasn't there and hasn't a clue of waht actually happened but went on teh basis of what s/he was thinking or other people are thinking.

Uncle_Joe
28/10/2009, 4:58 PM
That wouldnt be a Paul Hyland article would it??:rolleyes:

Razors left peg
28/10/2009, 5:02 PM
how would someone go about protecting a knee in a game other than pulling out of tackles

geysir
28/10/2009, 5:26 PM
Even if you disregard the seasoned observer's observations, it looks like Steven will be taking his time to reach his match fitness levels.
It is unlikely that he will make our starting team.

Some (good?) news though, Allardyce is feeling unwell.

LFCSixty/Eighty
12/11/2009, 1:10 PM
With the withdrawal of Liam Miller AND Shane long from the squad I find it even more astonishing that Trappatoni hasn't called Steven Reid into the squad. Even if he will not be available to play 180 minutes and may not get any game time, would it not be a perfect opportunity to bring a guy who has some much experience into the squad, for what he can relay to other younger members of the squad.

From what I know he is really well thought by all the staff at Blackbrun and is a born leader. It would also give him a chance to get to know some of the players he hasn't worked with before.

Why would you not call on this knowledge from one of the only remaining members of the squad who has played in a World Cup.

I would much prefer to have him inside the squad geeing up the players, letting them know whats ahead of them than sitting at home in Blackburn but as ever the stubborn old man knows best.

amaccann
12/11/2009, 2:30 PM
He's not fit.

Why are people at pains to find conspiracy in almost everything Trap does? Other than sit on the sidelines and "gee" up the players, calling up S. Reid is a pointless gesture as he is clearly not 100% fit - we tried that in Montenegro with a half-fit Reid and - oh look! - he got injured again.

jbyrne
12/11/2009, 2:36 PM
He's not fit.

Why are people at pains to find conspiracy in almost everything Trap does? Other than sit on the sidelines and "gee" up the players, calling up S. Reid is a pointless gesture as he is clearly not 100% fit - we tried that in Montenegro with a half-fit Reid and - oh look! - he got injured again.

as far as i know he hasnt even made recent blackburn matchday squads

amaccann
12/11/2009, 3:36 PM
as far as i know he hasnt even made recent blackburn matchday squads
ah sure don't be letting common sense or reality get in the way here, it's all a conspiracy by Trap to exile our best players!

rebelmusic
23/11/2009, 9:09 AM
Did anyone else realise that he's been loaned out to qpr and play 90 mins at rightback on saturday? Must have been the quietest transfer of all time

irishfan86
23/11/2009, 9:11 AM
Did anyone else realise that he's been loaned out to qpr and play 90 mins at rightback on saturday? Must have been the quietest transfer of all time

There was a thread on it, good to see him get through 90 mins though:

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=128111

rebelmusic
23/11/2009, 9:17 AM
Ahhh, annoying that they played him at right-back though, hopefully he'll be centre-mid for the rest of his loan games.

irishfan86
23/11/2009, 9:47 AM
As long as it's a temporary thing, I don't mind. Less running at right-full, and less action than central midfield which means he can build up his confidence and get a run without injury.

But you're right, if he became a right-full permanently that would be disappointing.